Author Topic: Wayne Barlowe interview  (Read 15814 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Wayne Barlowe interview
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:28:55 am »
No idea, I do have the book After Man: Zoology of The Future though.

Anyways, the release date of 1998 is likely correct because other sites such as film/TV databases have that date too, and on more than one place.

Even though it wasn't captioned *shakes fist at them*, I do remember bits and pieces such as the bug shedding underwater, and the baloon plants.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 06:15:59 pm »
No idea, I do have the book After Man: Zoology of The Future though.

Anyways, the release date of 1998 is likely correct because other sites such as film/TV databases have that date too, and on more than one place.

Even though it wasn't captioned *shakes fist at them*, I do remember bits and pieces such as the bug shedding underwater, and the baloon plants.

Yeah the "pterapede" was the creature that shed its skin underwater.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 06:41:23 pm »
At that time I didn't realize it was shedding its skin, it looked more like it was shifting its structure before going on land.

The parasol plant is exactly the same as the NG Alien Worlds (or something) show which had the same thing on the moon Aurora. Except that they were immobile, but the concept was there I think.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 10:02:26 pm »
At that time I didn't realize it was shedding its skin, it looked more like it was shifting its structure before going on land.

The parasol plant is exactly the same as the NG Alien Worlds (or something) show which had the same thing on the moon Aurora. Except that they were immobile, but the concept was there I think.

Yeah they used the Pagoda Trees for both. In the "Natural History of an Alien" they also talked about "uthers" which were 4 winged fish. I guess for National Geographic's show "Extraterrestrial" they kept the pagoda palms but changed them to "Sky Whales".

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 04:41:45 am »
I really loved those little things that lived in hives. Though, I really gotta say I loved all of them. :)

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:52 pm »
The concept of a "sky ocean" with various air born organisms making up the base of the food chain is one of the most interesting ones made up by the creators of these programs, it gives the worlds a different feel to them and makes for interesting food chain arrangements. Darwin 4 is a very nice example of this, and makes an interesting projection of what the ecology on a planet would look like should there be no oceans.  The idea of massive "sky whales" and giant floating creatures that feed upon these small "air plankton" is a particularly  interesting product of such an ecosystem,  imagine if the existence of these microflyers and airborne plants  could give rise to more than single bodied organisms, imagine a swarm of highly specialized, insect like creatures that inhabit some sort of giant floating ant hill constructed through the shedding of organic tissue by specialized individuals of the "hive" and made to float through the harvesting of the hydrogen/methane from within the bodies of other large floaters. Life can take on many challenges and thrive, though we cannot yet see such alien life, the creative minds of the many authors and producers mentioned on this thread are doing a wonderful job in giving us incites into how different some of that life may actually be.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 10:30:50 pm »
The concept of a "sky ocean" with various air born organisms making up the base of the food chain is one of the most interesting ones made up by the creators of these programs, it gives the worlds a different feel to them and makes for interesting food chain arrangements. Darwin 4 is a very nice example of this, and makes an interesting projection of what the ecology on a planet would look like should there be no oceans.  The idea of massive "sky whales" and giant floating creatures that feed upon these small "air plankton" is a particularly  interesting product of such an ecosystem,  imagine if the existence of these microflyers and airborne plants  could give rise to more than single bodied organisms, imagine a swarm of highly specialized, insect like creatures that inhabit some sort of giant floating ant hill constructed through the shedding of organic tissue by specialized individuals of the "hive" and made to float through the harvesting of the hydrogen/methane from within the bodies of other large floaters. Life can take on many challenges and thrive, though we cannot yet see such alien life, the creative minds of the many authors and producers mentioned on this thread are doing a wonderful job in giving us incites into how different some of that life may actually be.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVmKhNG6S3o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVmKhNG6S3o</a>

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 10:34:14 pm »
Wait. Didn't Darwin IV have oceans? It's just that it was covered in jelly?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:59 am »
Wait. Didn't Darwin IV have oceans? It's just that it was covered in jelly?

It HAD and ocean but it dried up. What whats left was a huge jelly-like creature.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 01:25:53 am »
Oh, I see...

Man, I really wish they'd make a story about future people establishing a relationship with the eosapiens. :) They seem like a pretty cool bunch of guys.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 07:12:20 am »
Not quite what I had in mind Hydro but still a very well done animated short with an interesting premise and plot.

On the matter of Eosapiens: A contact between us and them (formal, face to face, no robotic probes) might be an very interesting topic for a novel since both species are extremely different. I've always wondered what would the Eosapiens think of a race of sapient beings a fraction of their size that have grown up on a planet covered with lush forests and massive oceans while they have grown up in the opposite conditions. Not the mention the language barrier since Eosapiens seem to communicate almost exclusively with light pulses and deep sounds while we communicate with sounds that fluctuate from various levels of intensity with more articulation than they seem to be capable of, they also seem to be able to pick up sounds we cannot. 
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 08:48:20 am »
I've always wondered what would the Eosapiens think of a race of sapient beings that have grown up on a planet covered with lush forests and massive oceans while they have grown up in the opposite conditions.
They would probably pity us for "not living in the ideal environment". :P
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50:42 am »
That Sky Whale animation is one of the best things I have ever seen in my 14 years of life...
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 09:01:59 am »
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=15930.msg693267#msg693267
They would probably pity us for "not living in the ideal environment". :P

Considering what we're doing to the environment right now, their notion of us not living in the ideal environment probably won't last long. :D

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 06:19:46 am »
The notion of us living may not last long either ;)
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet