Author Topic: The Invasion  (Read 16342 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
The Invasion
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:05:02 am »
          It is World War II and you are an average sixteen year old boy living in the central parts of the Philippine archipelago. MacArthur is gone and Imperial Japan has occupied most of the fledgling country, including the vast mountain ranges where you are currently in hiding. It has been a while since you were separated from your parents. Now you live a meager existence amongst the trees of the forest which you now call your home. Sometimes you may even come across a small group of Japanese soldiers trying to weed out any stubborn resistance left in these parts. As usual, you try your best to avoid them, for you know that being captured will only bring more bad things into your already miserable life. You don't dare cross paths with freedom fighters either, for you always thought to yourself that they'll just draft you and bring you more trouble than they're possibly worth.

          Every waking day, you ask yourself whether such things will finally be put to an end. Alas, the Allies are still busy fighting the ever advancing armies of the despicable Third Reich in the Western Front of the war. Will MacArthur ever return, along with his sweet promise of lasting freedom, to this nation which has all been but smashed by the tyrannical rule of countless foreign demons?

          "Never...", you say to yourself, disillusioned by the unfortunate turn of events that have plagued your life ever since the war began.





          On one clear night, your mind, deep in sleep, is suddenly awoken by the deep and unexplainable trembling you just felt after seeing something strange in your sleep. Was it a dream? A nightmare? Or was it...

          Real?

          Nevertheless, you rise from your makeshift house high in the trees and make your way to the nearby river, careful not to attract the unwanted attention of anyone, or anything, that might be lurking nearby. Washing your face in the river, you start taking a sip from the fresh waters flowing down from the many springs located upstream. Just as you were about to finish, however, something caught the very edge of your eyes.

          As you turned your head to the right, you saw a very faint light, high up in the sky. At first, you thought to yourself that it was just another star, minding it's own way across the blackness of space. However, at a closer inspection, you notice that the light was growing stronger and stronger, larger and larger, faster and faster...

          And it was coming right after you.

          In an attempt to avoid the oncoming projectile, you quickly jump to the side and roll away from the object's path. within moments of impact, your entire surroundings is bathed in clear blue light. You feel a strange mixture of fear and curiosity as your mind is filled with strange images from the surrounding flash of light. Picking yourself up, you say in heart to run as far away as you can from the strange light that has by now slowly died down. However, your body forces you to do the exact opposite.

          As you involuntarily approached the fallen object, the images in your head become more and more vivid, pushing you to the brink of insanity as every following image became more and more alien to your primitive understanding.

          Just as your mind was about to lose itself in the panorama of bizarre and incomprehensible images, you feel an eerily smooth texture kiss the palm of your right hand. You just touched the object that you have previously struggled, with all your mental might, to run away from. However, contrary to what you expected, the feeling of fear and confusion was slowly replaced by that of warmth and security.

          Now holding the object with both of your hands, you try and pull it closer and closer to you for easier inspection. By now, you have realized that the object appeared to be a clear, blue sphere of eerily glowing light about the size of a large coconut. The light around you has all but died out by now, except for that of the ball-shaped object itself.

          Somehow, for reasons unknown even to you, you bury your right middle finger deep into the glowing mass of light, initiating a response which clearly took you by surprise...





          "What is your name?", the glowing ball of light asked.

          Indeed, what is our name?



Offline Flamester_

  • Gyruss Gyrusian
  • *****
  • Posts: 2732
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:22:41 am »
We need a name suitable for the epic adventure that awaits and that name is Bob.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Plank of Wood

  • Final Fighter
  • *****
  • Posts: 8428
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:48 am »
Blackadder.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Digital Hellhound

  • Rigel Rescuer
  • ***
  • Posts: 418
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:24 am »
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline Cyst

  • Space Harrier
  • *****
  • Posts: 4092
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:26 am »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 07:23:57 am »
          "Blackadder... Blackadder Adams...", you slowly said, still considering the fact that you're answering a question asked by a blue ball of talking light. Thinking back, you realize that you've already heard of something very similar to this from your parents. But, to actually meet something like this in real life...

          However, your thought is suddenly interrupted as you feel the strange ball of eerie light getting a stronger and stronger hold on your, by now, horribly broken finger. You push the object down with all your strength as you struggle to release your right hand from it's incredibly strong grasp. Seeing a suitably sized rock standing right beside the river, you slam the object repeatedly, and in full force, at the makeshift anvil which you hoped would smash the ball to pieces. Alas, your struggle proves to be futile as you continually bash the seemingly indestructible ball that somehow decided to eat one of your fingers.

          Just when you thought you were going to spend the rest of your life with only four fingers left in one of your hands, things take quite an odd turn as you find the cannibalistic ball of light making your entire hand feel, as strange as it might seem...

          Quite comfortable, for some unknown reason.

          "Username... Blackadder... Adams...", the ball said, followed by some unintelligible chatter. Or at least it seemed unintelligible, as far as you were concerned. The ball of light grew bigger and bigger as the endless line of gibberish became louder and louder, finally culminating in a sudden burst of blinding light which consumes the whole of your body.

          "Registration complete.", you heard in a loud booming voice. The sphere of light that surrounded your body slowly fades away, revealing something which leaves you more clueless than ever before...





          WHAT THE HELL?!, you said to your utterly dumbfounded self as you realize what the strange ball of light just did to your previously tattered appearance.

          The first thing that came to your sights were your hands. By whatever manner of hocus pocus, your hands were now wearing a pair of thick, black, silken gloves with strange writings written all over the palm area. But that, was just the start of it, as you notice the other strange changes in your previously appalling wardrobe. As you make your way up your hands, you quickly meet with the fact that your arms are now covered to the glove by a pair of long, black sleeves. As you slowly look and feel across your body, you realize, to much surprise, that your entire body is now covered in some kind of pitch black suit...

          With glowing blue outlines.

          From what you could gather from the suit's appearance and texture, it looks like it's made of metal, yet has the same consistency as silk. The inner clothing grips your averagely built frame tightly, yet still allowing your skin to breathe rather freely. Overall, it was very odd, yet somehow quite comforting, in a way.

          You feel a strong burst of relief as you remember years of not being able to wear any decent clothing. However, your mind quickly shifts back to what seems to be reality as you assess any changes that might have occurred in your surroundings. So far, so good. Except for one thing...





          The light was gone.

          Pulling yourself back on your feet, you try and search the surrounding area for any trace of the mysterious object. However, a sudden sense of exhaustion flows through your entirety just as you manage to stand on both legs. Grabbing hold of a nearby tree, you pull down on a branch as you slowly slump down at the sides, unconscious.





          It's almost noon and the call of tropical birds awaken you from your long sleep. Still a bit drowsy, you slowly make your way to your left, suddenly falling down into the nearby river. Falling flat on your face, your mind jumps into action as the cold waters seep into your now wet clothing.

          Wait..., was the only thing you can think of as your brain processed the fact that you were now wearing a full set of clothing.

          "Oh, my, goodness..."

          As shocked as you currently were, you suddenly find yourself unable to put everything together before something else entirely gained your utmost attention.





          Several rows of loud, booming sounds ripped across the skies from the south. It just so happens that that is the exact same direction where the Japs placed their artillery platforms the last few times they fired it.

          The Japs didn't seem to target your current location in particular, though. However, form past experience, it's always a good thing to stay out of their way while they bomb the hell out of the local mountain range.





          You were still sleeping a minute ago and now you're going to have to run for your life...

          So which direction do we run off to first?

          To the north are a small group of guerrilla fighters, who might or might not be who the cannons are firing at and might or might not want to help you. To the west is your makeshift tree-home, where all of what's left of your precious belongings are stored. To the east is just more mountain as far as you know, though it might or might not be safer there, especially considering the local cannibals. To the south is, well...

          Scratch that last one. The town is littered with Japs and that is where the nasty devils are firing their shells from anyway!

          So, where do we go?

Offline Digital Hellhound

  • Rigel Rescuer
  • ***
  • Posts: 418
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:37:15 am »
We go north. We can come back for the treehouse later.
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline Haseri

  • Lode Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 2216
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 09:22:55 am »
I think Plank might have meant Edmund Blackadder as a name...

Offline Flamester_

  • Gyruss Gyrusian
  • *****
  • Posts: 2732
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:19 pm »
Go East.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:02:05 pm »
I think Plank might have meant Edmund Blackadder as a name...

Oh, I see. :D I thought Plank was just referring to Blackadder's surname.

Still, it's pretty okay with this one since this way I can avoid getting pointed out for copying the name of someone else's character. :)

Will update soon.

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 06:08:27 am »
Flipped a coin, in a figurative sense, and came out with east. north. Sorry 'bout that. >_>

I'll make the update tomorrow, hopefully. For now, here's a pic of him.


« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:14:30 am by Yuu »

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 07:20:20 am »
          You head north. "I can always get my stuff later.", you say to yourself, hurrying up the mountain using the clearing made by the riversides to guide your way.

          The sound of artillery shells become louder and louder as you make your way up. They seem to be going for a full sweep of the area. This doesn't seem so good as this will likely be followed by several scouting parties going up from the town below. If worst comes to worse, you're going to have to leave all your stuff behind.





          As you make your way through the slight foliage surrounding the riverbank, you spot what seems to be some men up ahead. from the looks of it, they don't seem to be with the Japs. They might be one of those freedom fighters you saw last month.





          What should we do?

          Should we approach them and take the risk of them thinking we're in league with the Japs?

          Should we make a detour and make our way up through the forest?

          What?

Offline Plank of Wood

  • Final Fighter
  • *****
  • Posts: 8428
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 12:11:13 pm »
At least attempt to make him extremely selfish and blackaddery in general.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 06:48:33 pm »
You'll see soon enough.

Once we get a large enough following.

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Invasion
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 04:55:48 am »
          You continue towards the group of men, in hopes of finding out a good place to escape from the ongoing bombardment.

          As you get closer, one of the men takes notice of your presence, not to mention your strange suit. Quickly, he yells to his comrades, alerting them of your presence. Taking no chances, the group of four or so men all took hold of their weapons and promptly aim them straight at your general direction.

          "Who are you and what are you doing here?!", one of them asked, taking a quick yet seemingly thorough look at your suit.

          "Look, it's a long story!", you said back. "And no, I have nothing to do with those people. I just happened to be headed the same way as you people seem to be heading, away from that." You quickly pointed to the west.

          "Fine. But don't try anything suspicious.", he answered back while ordering one of his comrades to keep an eye on you. "Quick! This way!"





          You and the group of armed men eventually made it to the other side of the mountains, narrowly avoiding several shells along your way. The sound of artillery shells were still following suit, though, so rest still wasn't a very viable option right now. Despite this, you seem to have more stamina than usual today. Though, whether it's because of what happened last night or just a sudden burst of adrenaline is still anyone's guess.

          "Look! We're almost there!", he said to no one in particular. "C'mon, let's move!" And move you did. It's been quite some time seen you did something like this. The last time you ran this fast was when you and your family escaped from the lowlands when the Japanese took this part of the country by surprise.





          Eventually, you and the group of men finally reach what seemed to be a local guerrilla camp at the other side of the mountains. Exhausted but still alive, you decide to take a rest on a nearby stump near the outer reaches of the camp. The other people that were there didn't seem to take your presence nicely, as some of them try and steal a passing look at you every now and then. Though that's not much of a stretch since even the people that lead you here aren't very fond of you themselves, as evident of them still keeping a close look at me. The people at the camp were generally all running back and forth, packing food, ammo and anything in between into whatever container they can get a hold of. They seem to be temporarily moving out of the area, considering what just happened.

          As your eye slowly wandered across the camp, you see the man that lead you here talking to another man who, by their appearance, seems to be someone very important. Their leader, perhaps. They seem to be talking about you, judging from the fact that they periodically took a quick look at you, wherein i quickly shifted your eyes. Soon enough, the two men started walking towards you, and from the looks on their faces you can quickly tell that this is gonna take quite a long time to explain.

          "Hey, kid.", the other man said to you in a very husky voice. "My name is Captain David Razon and this person here is Lieutenant Ricardo Morales.", referring to the man that led you here. "So, what's your name, kid? You all alone up here?"

          "Blackadder Adams...", you quickly reply. "I'm pretty much by myself. Got separated a long time ago."

          "I see...", he slighted, looking at you from head to toe. Just when he was about to speak, Ricardo cut him off, nodding at the captain. "I guess we'll have to talk about it later... Think you can still run for a couple of days?"

          "Sure.", you replied, though deep inside you really weren't.

          "Good.", he said to you before turning back and barking some orders at the other men.

          "C'mon.", Ricardo pulled you up and offering you some water, which you gladly accepted.





          A few minutes passed and some of the people were already on their way out of the camp, carrying everything that they can with them. You decide to lend a hand to pay back the water and for leading you to the camp.

          "We'll head out now.", Ricardo told the commander, who was still packing some of his equipment.





          It's been several hours now since you and the group of fighters left camp. The sound of artillery has mostly died down by now, though that wasn't much of an assurance, since that means the scouts are probably starting to move in from the other side of the mountains.

          There were some slight chatter as the group quickly went their way, though it was pretty toned down so the enemy won't hear it.

          In the mean time, you've gotten to know some of the people while talking to a boy, just slightly above your age, who was walking right beside you on the trail. His name was Rolando, a seventeen year old freedom fighter. Both his parents were brutally murdered by the Japanese, along with his three younger sisters, who were gang-raped by a squad of soldiers before being burned alive. Since then, he joined up with these people. He's a tad too agitated when he sees one of the Japs, though he is eventually getting the hang of restraining himself. You really couldn't blame him though, if he's sometimes like that.

          Pretty much everyone else here has a similar experience. Deep inside, you hope you don't share the same fate as them. Though right now, with everything that's happened, that seems more and more unlikely.





          It's been two days now and what do you know, you actually made it the new camp site in one piece.

          The lieutenant helped the others set up shop while the captain slowly made his way towards you.

          "Hey, kid. I wanna have a talk with you...", he said.





          It was night time by now and everyone was having dinner around the fire. Well, except for you, the captain and the lieutenant, who were all eating away from the others.

          They wanted to find out more about the hows and the whys of your new suit. You try your best to explain to them what happened. But in the end, you just got all three of you confused. You did manage to gain most of their trust, though.





          Morning. Everyone went out from their awfully shabby tents and started to go about their day, scouting the perimeter for any hostile presence.

          As you made your way to the medics to go and lend a hand in treating the injured, your father taught you basic medical aid, one of the patrols came rushing in with not-so-good news...

          A small group of Japanese soldiers were spotted going up the mountains and they seem to be headed for the camp's general direction.





          Something was wrong. Terribly wrong...

          How could the Japs get so close to the camp without anyone noticing? The timing is just so perfect.

          Something was terribly off with this one, and it seems to be a trap, no doubt. They've probably surrounded the camp already and are only waiting for everyone to make their move.





          You'll probably have no choice but to fight alongside this ragtag group of mountain guerrillas.

          What are you going to do?