Author Topic: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 2 Month: 8)  (Read 26650 times)

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 6)
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 01:50:29 pm »
The month some refer to as the bandit free month is over, and so is the most extreme heat. The air is getting cooler, and though it is still many months left untill the winds get really strong people are starting to feel that they soon will start to come. The wild fires haven't been as frequent as last month due to quite regular showers over most of the islands, but they have still occured, and the period of wild fires is not over just yet.

Year: 1
Month 7
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 7)
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 03:32:43 pm »
Year 1
Month 7

Village Name: Uli
Population: 34 (30 + 4 Royals)
Buildings 8 (7 Homes + 1 Storage)

Cheiftan: Keli’i
Shamaness: Nani
Teachers: Lani
Healer: 2 Females
Gatherers: 6 Females
Cleaners: 2 Females
Repairers 1 Male
Builders: 2 Males
Crafters 2 Males
Hunters: 2 Male
Fishermen 2 Male
Explorer: Kekoa, 1 Male
Children: 10

This month things ran more or less the same. Some jobs got moved around and shamaness Nani deemed it was safe for the explorers to explore again now that they had spears to protect them. The new fruit sticks were recently invent so the gatherers did not have to work as hard. This ment some females could take over as cleaners and allow more men to hunt and fish.

Due to the raid of the storage hut by wild animals Keli’i is personally guarding it. Those with disputes would have to come to him. This would have to do until there was enough people to have guards. But for now everyone was needed for other jobs.

Humanitarian

- Keli’i must settle disputes, keep the peace and decide the tasks of the month. He must also guard the storage hut.

- Teachers are to care and tech the children. They must tech them about tribal traditions, stories of the past and how to treat others within the tribe.

- Children are to learn from the teachers and respect their elders.

- Healers are to take care of the sick, injured and pregnant. They also must look for ways to better care for their patients.

Production

(Image By Huckbuck)

- Gatherers are to use the fruit sticks to help reach fruit they could not get before.

- Hunters are to use spears to hunt creatures in the forest. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve.

- Fishermen are to use spears to hunt creatures along the river. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve.

- Cleaners are to bodywaste pit maintained and the village clean of trash. See if spears or carrying straps can help in their daily work.

- Repairers are to keep the mud houses and storage hut maintained.

- Builders are to keep collecting materials using the carrying straps to build mud houses and then to build them. Use thin mud, reeds and thin branches to build houses from now on.

- Crafters are to craft fruit sticks, straps and spears. Craft only what is needed. They also must listen to those who use their crafted objects and try to improve them according to the feedback.

- All food and supplies are to be stored in a mud hut.

Spiritual

- Nani must interpret the spirits and bring up village moral. It is also her job to collect the berries and make death stones. She must also lead marriages and funerals.

- On "Rest Day" everyone must sing, hum, clap and dance for the spirits and ancestors. Also test out diffrent objects to see the sounds they make (such as hitting sticks, reeds or rocks together) to improve the music.

- On each "Res Day" everyone shall paint the walls of the buildings with berry juice and mud dyes. Nani will paint her visions from the spirits while others will point their own experiences. Such as paintings of collecting fruit, exploration, teaching and crafting. The most memorable events get painted 1st.

- Marriages are to be held at the rivers edge and now performed by the Shamaness. The couples are to submerge themselves in the water. A reeds are to be held by each and made into a loop with the other other thus symbolizing their uniting The best food are to be given to them and they get a mud hut themselves for the night.  After the ceremony everyone sings and dances.

- Deaths are to be held on the rest day and no celebrations shall occur. Everyone will fast and tell stories about the departed. The family will be given a small red stone (a berry juice covered stone) in honor of the departed.

Exploration

(Kekoa observing terns.)

- Kekoa and another male are to go out with a spear and carrying strap to explore the terns and beavers this month. Search for where each lives and how each lives. Report back to the hunters on how to hunt the terns. Report to the fishermen on how to hunt the beavers. Report back to the crafters about the terns nests and how they can create one themselves out of reeds. Report back to the builders about the beavers lodge and how to improve their buildings.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:54:53 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 05:45:49 pm »
Village: Wesich
Leader: Hsian
Leaderess: Jisa
Son: Aliore
Daughter: Jasa
Pop: 24, 5 men, 6 women, 9 children, 4 royals

Codex of Hsian

It had been near a month since the great quest to capture the red beast began and Hsian was beginning to doubt that he would ever capture it at all. Already it had killed one of his men and had severally injured another greatly. Truly it was a powerful and evil force to be reckoned with, perhaps as powerful as the great spirit himself. Hsian knew now that he would not conquer the great beast so easily, he had to figure out another way to harness it's power. So, picking up the corpse of his fallen comrade and straddling it across his back, they both made their long trek home.

At the village however things were progressing well. Already the hunters and the fishermen had gathered a substantial amount of food for the village. The gatherers had also made progress on the stone pile in the center of the town as well as gathering a number of other useful supplies, such as mud and sticks. The village breeders were also busy with their work of, well, breeding. While the two were the only designated breeders for the village, the other villagers began to imitate the breeders methods and soon the grunts and cries of secret mating couples could be heard all throughout the starry nights. Overall, things were going great in the village and everyone was happy, at least until Hsians return.

The return of the Hsian and his maimed and dead beast tamers was meet with both shock and sadness. Many villagers had known the dead man and maimed man intimately and wept and wept at sit of his corpse and at the maimed mans burnt arms and chest. At first Hsian did nothing to comfort the villagers, instead retreating to his hut to rest but after two days of the villages tasks being unfulfilled he decided that something had to be done. To try and console and downplay the fears and sorrows of the village Hsian ordered the first village gathering since it's founding. Because of the giant pile of rocks in the village center the meeting was held at the top of a nearby hill. Hsian brought the corpse with him and placed him on the hills apex for everyone to see.

"My fellow kinsmen" said Hsian "We all knew Trae like a brother and truly we are saddened by his loss. He was a noble man, both gentile, strong, and with a heart of a champion. He was killed by the beast we sought to tame, a red beast of evil and with great power, almost as much as the Great Spirit himself. But he is in the better place now, the Great Spirit has assured us of this. Let us take a moment to remember the great spirit and Trae and pray for him in his better world."

At once the entire village was silent, with each and every villager in silent supplication for the departed. Suddenly a child rushed up from the crowd and made her way to the corpse of Trae. It was Jasa, the royal daughter. When she reached the top of the hill she fell to her knees and held the dead mans figure in her arms, even though the corpse was heavy and it hurt her arms and shoulders. Hsian went  over to Jasa and began to scold the girl.

"Jasa!" said Hsian, pulling her away from the corpse "Get away from the corpse, little girl, stop defiling it with your crude female natur-"

Hsian stopped at once for when he looked into her light blue eye's he could see that this was not his daughter he was speaking to, but something far more powerful.

"Why do you resist my will?" said a trance-like Jasa "Do you not love me, pray to me for greatness and prosperity? Do you not love the Great Spirit?"

"G-Great Spirit!" stammered Hsian "I had no wish to interrupt you and your task! Please have mercy on me!"

"Do not ask me for mercy, Hsian" said Jasa "Their is no need. You were ignorant to my will, but no longer!"

She began to sway a little bit and her little body was dripping with sweat. Her eye's were fluttering around and her pupils were wide and spaced apart. Hsian fell to his knees and put his hand to his heart.

"Please, tell me your will my ruler!"

"First, Traes soul. It is still within his mortal frame. It must be released and the only way to do that is through the heart, the key of the mind, the body, and the soul. Bring me a spear."

Hsian nodded his head at the crowd and immediately two women ran of to the village to find a spear. Ten minutes later they returned with a spear from the storage shed. Hsian gave the spear to Jasa who immediately set to work on the corpses chest. Within minutes a bloody, swollen heart was pulled from the cadavers chest and rested within Jasa's now bloody hands. She looked at Hsian and the crowd, amazed and baffled at the macabre sit unfolding in front of them.   

"Now, bring the fallen ones body to the village center. I will be waiting there."

At once Jasa ran off to the rock monument while the rest of the village followed suit. Once everyone was around the monument Jasa went and stabbed the knife deep into the heart, letting forth a stream of red congealed blood dribble onto the stones. After the heart had been drained of it's blood she went and stored it along with the mud and sticks before coming back out to the monument. She then addressed the crowd again, which had gathered in a circle around her.

"The will of the Great Spirit has been done! Traes soul is now at peace and may go now to the afterlife in glory and happiness. But in order for it to remain their some things must first be done. His body now needs protection from the other evil spirits that oppose me. He must be covered with stones, sticks, mud, anything to prevent it from rising again to serve the forces of evil. This village also needs something more than just ceremony to connect me to you. The monument in the village center, if made in the shape of a swirl would suffice as a connection as the swirl is my symbol and it needs to be honored as thus. This is mt will, great people of Wesich! Do not fail your Great Spirit! Accomplish these tasks and you are assured my love and power! Farewell!"

At once the Great Spirit left Jasa's small form and she fell to the ground in a faint. At once all the village people gathered around her to she if she was hurt. Within thirty minutes she had awakened and asked many questions, especially about the dried blood on her hands. From this moment on she was taken in as a divine tool and Hsian immediately assigned her the role of the village priestess. She was also given a helper, the burnt man, because of his knowledge of the Great Red Beast and the evils it brought about. Jasa hardly knew what she had done to earn such a title but she didn't think much of it and basically ignored her new title in favor of simply helping out the village as a gatherer again.

Tasks:

1: Construct burial mound for Trae out of stones, mud, and sticks.

2: Organize stone pile into a stone whirling shape, much like a small stone labyrinth.

Jobs:

Hunting: 3 males and Aliore, 4 overall
Fishing: 3 women, 3 overall
Gathering/building: 2 woman, Jisa, 9 children, and Hsian, 10 overall
Breeding (ordered): 1 man and 1 woman, 2 overall
Priestess: Jasa, 1 overall
Priestess Helper: 1 male (injured), 1 overall
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:33:46 am by Andrew Ryan »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 08:01:09 pm »
Year 1
Month 7

Village: Modarath (We stop here.)
People: Danrathi (Those who stopped here.)

King(K): Malik
Queen(Q): Inaza
Heirs(H): Hadar(1st son - 16), Tarjo (2nd son - 12), Kari (Daughter - 13)
Huts: 12 (11 Homes + 1 Storage)
Total Population: 36 (31 + 5 Royals)
Men: 11 (K + 10 )
Women: 11 (Q + 10 )
Boys: 7 (2H + 5 )
Girls: 7 (1H + 6 )

Again the appointed day comes and King Malik goes out to speak to the people.

"Truly, we are earning our blessings from the Spirits with our hard labor and deep ponderings, for our village grows steadily and no great troubles have beset us.  But I tell you true, even if our village was beset on all sides by troubles, it would not be a punishment from the Spirits, but a test of our resolve to endure.  I vow to you all, as you should also vow unto yourselves, the Danrathi will endure.  Remember this vow and always strive to fulfill it.

Now to the matters of labors and mysteries.

Two, a man and woman, shall teach.

Six, three men and three women, plus Hadar shall fish.  Hadar shall continue pondering his mystery and the mystery of fish, but those that fish with him shall also ponder the mystery of fish, for it is good for people to ponder mysteries together.

Six, three men and three women, shall labor at hut building in the same manner which they labored last month.

A man and a woman shall labor with Queen Inaza at the task of shaping stone.  Two mysteries have been revealed in this matter.  Inaza come forward and reveal them to the people."

Queen Inaza is momentarily shocked at this, for she has not spoken before the assemblage before, but she realizes there is nothing to worry about because she has spoken to all these people before as individuals at one time or another.  It is not as if they are strangers met in the woods.

"Hold on a moment while I gather the tools to show them to you."

The crowd waits for Queen Inaza to return from the storage hut.  When she does, she has two stones in one hand and is dragging a large branch in the other.

She drops the branch on the ground and holds out her hands holding the stones, so all can view them.

(Image by Huckbuck)

"This small one is the best shape found, so far, with which to separate the different parts of fish from each other.  It is hard to make, for if you make a mistake while making it, it will break in two and no longer be in the best shape for its task.  If its broken form has a use, we have not yet discovered it.  I call this a 'knife' because it is used to 'separate.'

This larger one is the best shape, so far, to remove branches from trees.  Watch."

Queen Inaza props up the branch that still has many smaller limbs on it.  With one or two hard strikes to them with the stone, the smaller limbs come off the branch.  She then drops the branch to the ground and begins striking it at its thickest part, about a hands length from where it was snapped of the tree to begin with.  Though it takes over a dozen hard strikes, she chops through the branch. 

All the villagers sit there stunned, especially the two men who had labored for many minutes to remove that branch from the tree originally, for the Queen had gotten through it in one.

"The part away from the blade is rounded, so it sits well in the hand.  Naturally round stones are found in and around the river, but others can be given that shape with much labor.  It is also good for chopping through reed, but not as well, for reed bends away when struck.  I call it an 'axe' for it 'removes.' "

The crowd sits there for a few more moments before they come out of their amazement.  A great cheer comes up for Queen Inaza and the axe, for all know it will lessen the labor of branch gathering.  Before the cheering stops, she grabs the hands of the two that had helped her with the axe and bring them before the crowd, so they too will receive their well earned praise.  This goads the crowd into even more cheering.

As the cheering ends, Queen Inaza turns to her husband and says, "I am done speaking Malik; next time tell me that I will be speaking beforehand, so I can better prepare."  She gives her husband a wink and smile before returning to her sitting place.  This causes some chuckling and whooping among the villagers.  The King waits until it ends before continuing.

"Yes, in the future I shall, my beloved.

Four, two men and two women, shall dig a pit for fire, here in the village gathering place.  It will be 4 to 5 paces long and 2 paces wide and as deep as my knees.  At the northern end we shall make fire, and to the southern end we will move the hot ash and coals, with sticks, -never your hands- as the fire leaves them.  The dirt from this pit will be piled around its outer edge to help keep the fire in its place in the pit.  Out from this dirt wall, we will make another short wall of mud, just in case the fire escapes from the first it will not be able to travel far.  This wall will be short enough for an adult to step over without much effort, but sturdy enough to sit on, for it shall also serve that purpose when we gather here.  When these tasks are complete, two of the people will gather wood and stone from the forest and the other two will help me in pondering the mysteries of fire.   

I will continue pondering the mysteries of fire, of which two have revealed themselves, but one not fully.

The first is 'cooking' fish.  The 'changing' of its texture, flavor, and color with fire.  I've found to hold fish close to the fire - but not in it - will bring about the change, given time, that improves the nature of fish for eating.  I have been holding the fish close to the fire using my spear, by placing it through a fish piece, just as it is when you catch fish.  Then I wait, slowly turning it until it all takes on its new color.  This I will show you all after the firepit has been built.

The second seems to be the 'cooking' of wood.  Using my spear for many days at improving my knowledge of cooking fish, I noticed the tip of my spear becoming darker.  Thinking its surface had become soiled by the fish, I went to sharpen it to remove the tarnish.  It was more difficult than normal to sharpen, but I could get it much sharper and I found its color had changed below the surface as well.  Noticing this change, I exposed the grip of my spear to the heat of the fire and rotated it as if cooking fish, even though I was not, to see if it too would change color.  After many hours, I was able to change the color of my whole spear.  Now it seems much more sturdy and maintains its point despite vigorous use, greatly increasing the time between sharpenings.  It is as if the heat of fire makes wood harder, even though fires flame would turn it to ash if given the chance.  It is this mystery I will try to solve next, using the extra spears in storage to study it.  If this pondering turns out to be correct, all spears - no all wooden tools - shall have to go through this process of 'hardening' in the future.

Remember to remain vigilant for bandits.  Though the season they normally travel has ended, there are still those that have not found victims wandering about.  These will be a most vile and desperate lot, for they will go to any lengths to gain a source of food for the coming winter months.  Be ready to end them without hestitation, for they will not hesitate to end you.  This is also the season when strangers will be looking for a winter camp, be vigilant for their approach.  They can still join us during the fall, but come winter they may have to be turned away for then they will just be extra mouths on the verge of being bandits.

Now to less worrisome matters.

About the firepit we are about to make; when it is completed we will gather there for our evening meals and talk of events of the day and mysteries we have been pondering.  For it is good that Danrathi should spend time together relaxing and enjoying each other's company.  Its light will let us stay out later than dusk without fear of the beasts that lurk about at night.  One day when we have mastered more of fire's mysteries, we shall be able to go about at night, even on the nights when the Nightstone is completely dark.  While we can technically do that now, it will be much easier and less foolhardy with the light of fire to guide us. 

Last month, when I told you of the colors of ash and its ability to give those colors to other things, I did not know what task could be done with them.  I am proud to say that my son Tarjo came up with one use for them.  As many of you have seen, he drew the Nightstone in some of its stages on the inner wall of our hut.

(Image by Huckbuck)
So moved was I by this, I have decided that all children should draw things they see and ponder.  Henceforth, any child that wishes to may draw on the outer wall of the storage hut and teachers will make special time during the day for this activity.  Whether you draw things you have seen or things that you ponder in your mind - it matters not - so along as you try your best to represent the essence of the thing you draw.  Now as to the matter of drawing on the walls of your own huts, whether the inner or outer wall, that will be left to the determination of your parents.  My Queen and I have decided to let our children draw in their sleep areas and the outer wall asking only they don't make a mess inside, but all parents should make this decision for themselves.

Now to our -- "

"Father! Wait, stop!" cries the high pitched voice of young Kari.

The villagers all look startled at her outburst, but her father merely turns toward her with an intrigued look on his face.

"Yes, my little one?"

"I have something I wish to present to Mother."

"If now is the time you feel the Spirits have ordained to do so, go right ahead."

"Yes, Father they have."

King Malik smiled proudly, for his daughter had gasped the secret that now was always the time to do things and not tarry at them.

"Then by all means proceed."

"Thank you, Father."

She rises from where she is sitting and runs over to her hut, picks something up that was hidden next to it in a clump of tall grass, and runs back as fast as she can with it.

"Last month, I was struck by how much my parents and Hadar do for the village, yet my Mother did not receive the same recognition as my Father or Hadar.  While this changed some today and I wanted to make them all gifts,  I worked on Mother's first for this reason and had that thought in my mind as I worked. 

I wanted to make something pretty like a flower, but that would last longer.  After trying many things, found I could shape reed by twisting it up around itself, so I shaped some into a flower.  I then painted it with ashes, like my brother painted the wall, so it won't look like reed, but more like a flower.  If only ash came in brighter colors.  Here Mother, this is for inventing the reed roof, and working with stone, and all the other wonderful things you do every day for me and the whole village.

(Image by Huckbuck)
I hope you like it."

"I love it dear, but not as much as I love you," beams the Queen. 

The Queen snatches up Kari in her arms and hugs her.

"Mother, be careful of your flower!"

Many ohs and ahs go through the crowd watching the display of affection, but the King is silent; his attention is on the flower.

Suddenly, he notices it has grown quiet and the eyes of the crowd have returned to him.  He takes on a stoic face and speaks.

"I am proud of what my daughter has done.  Not only has she honored her mother highly; she has also found a new use for reed.  If my two youngest can find new uses for things, then surely all can.  For all have the ability to ponder the mysteries of the Spirits, not just members of my family.  Remember this truth as you go about your tasks, always thinking about new ways to do things, and pondering what new things that could be done.

To our labors."

.   .   .   .   .   .
Tarjo had heard the words of his father, but he had also heard those who thought his painting did not truly look like the Nightstone.  He decided to labor at making it a better representation.

.   .   .   .   .   .
Kari still wanted to make Hadar and her Father gifts, so she set herself the task of making Hadar something by next task day.

Recap:
2 people teach.

6 people plus Hadar will fish.  Hadar will continue pondering new ways to make spears or catch fish.  The others will also ponder the mystery of fish as well.

6 people will make huts, as many as they can in a month.  Make them extra sturdy like the branch roofed hut, but their roofs will be in the pointy reed style.  Also, the huts' placement will be better planned and not so haphazard. 

2 people plus Queen Inaza will continue working with stone.  They should be trying to figure out what shapes the stones should take to best do different kinds of jobs.

4 people will dig a firepit and build a short earthen wall around it and another mud wall out from it.  After they get done with this, 2 of them will gather wood and stone from the forest and the other two will help King Malik use and ponder fire.

King Malik will continue trying to find different uses for the fire.  He will also show people how to cook with fire and practice hardening spears using the spare spears in storage to perfect his technique.

General Orders:
Remain alert for strangers and bandits.  Now is the time they'll be looking for their winter camps, so they might come around.  Be ready to deal with them one way or the other.

At evening meal, people will now gather together around the fire pit: cooking their allotment of fish, exchanging stories of the day, and discussing mysteries and problems that need to be solved.

Children are allowed to draw on the outer walls of the storage hut.  It is up to their parents if they can draw on the walls of their homes.

Everyone should think about better ways to do old tasks and try to think of new things that need to be done.

Kids:
Tarjo will try to improve his painting of the Nightstone to look more realistic.

Kari will try to think of another present to make, this time for Hadar.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:16:08 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 10:05:57 pm »
Village: Scorge
Wiseman: Mernin (38)
Wisewoman: Shalbee (29)
Older son: Jermin (16)
Youngest son: Ferilin (12)
Population: 30

after a good night of sleeping I get out of bed and wake everyone up again. “ this month has been a very productive month and we must not only prays the river but also give thanks to the fire for ridding us of the terrible smells of the waste, but this was not permanent and it seems it will become a weekly celebration with movements around the fire and singing. The architects, but I think it is time that you find a way to make the buildings stronger and more stable.”
Ferilin speeks “father I think there is another possible food source.”
 “Well then what is it?”
“The scavengers, I think it is possible to use some of the waste as bait and then capture them.”
“What would we capture them with?”
“I am going to find a way to trap them and will be studying ways to do so.”
“This sound like this will help the village well then you do what you must to capture them. Shalbee, I need you to start working on more cloth and see how they could protect us from the weather. I would also like to give celebration to no fatalities this is good so far.       
Agenda for each week
1.   Everyone does their tasks.
2.   ||
3.   ||
4.   Waste pile burning celebration.
5.   ||
6.   Again every one finishes everything twice as much in order to prepare for next day.
7.   Every one gathers by the river with Wiseman Mernin and sings to the river while Mernin and his two sons make a click sound with the two rocks which also make a mystical spark. Everyone finds this amazing and the beats sound beautiful. They also have N’reil telling great mystical stories and singing wonderful songs.
Job list.
Bodyguards/fishing: 5 men. Protecting the village from unwanted bandits.
Gathers: 5 women and Shalbee. They will be more focused on the supplies that the architects need but also gathering berries, water and roots. 
Builders: 2 men 1 women and Jermin. They will be working on more huts and still be keeping the older huts in good shape.
Prayers: all the children who sing to the river.
Storyteller/singer/teacher singer: N’reil will be doing this job. He will sing to the tribe with the children on the 7th day and tell stories on the pile burning day. He will also have 2 assisting women to help keep control of the children.
Inventor: Ferilin will be the one who will try to find better ways to make the living a bit easier. He will be working on ways of trapping the scavengers.
Wiseman: Mernin keeps track of every one to make sure they are working. He also keeps track of the amount of supplies to make sure there is enough. He is also going to be studying the flames and river to see how much more they could do for the village.
Architects: 3 men 2 women. These people will be incharge of improving the building of the village.
Wisewoman: gathers and keeps track of all the supplies encase it goes bad, she will also be working on new cloth for protection from nature.

click or the egg gets it

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 6)
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 01:55:51 pm »
The changing of seasons went on in a steady pace. The wild fires were getting fewer, the winds were starting to be percieved, and bandits and nomads started moving around again; most towards the north eastern coast to get away from the cool winds in the west.

Month 8
@davidramnero

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 8)
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 02:27:38 pm »
Year 1
Month 8

Huts: 14 (13 Homes + 1 Storage)
Total Population: 40 (35 + 5 Royals)
Men: 13 (K + 12 )
Women: 13 (Q + 12 )
Boys: 7 (2H + 5 )

On the appointed morning, the tribe has gathered around the new firepit to hear the words of King Malik.

"Our village grows well, but I tell you with more people comes more work.  We must all strive to find better, easier ways to do our tasks or one day all the Danrathi will do is fish and build huts.  But, I tell you the truth, I would rather do that than go without eating for days, drinking only the rain that fell into my mouth, like I remember from the lean times of my youth, in the times of wandering."

A grimace crosses Malik's face as he remembers a winter long ago, eating tree bark in desperation.

"But that is a story for another time.  Just know we are all blessed to live in such a fashion as this, and that we should thank the Spirits for allowing us to do so, and be proud that the sweat of our labors causes it to remain so and gives us the ability to make our lives even better.

There are two matters I must speak of before assigning tasks, strangers and animals.

As most of you must know by now, the fishers saw six people they did not know crossing the river.  Luckily, they did not seem to see the fishers and were heading away from us, but it does mean they were on this side of the river and may be aware of us.  Henceforth, we must remain extra vigilant.  When outside the village, be very quiet and try not to be seen as you go from one place to another.  You should always strive to detect unDanrathi before they detect you.  If your group outnumbers them at least two to one, you may attempt to contact them in the manner of the stranger if you deem yourself to be at a safe distance.  But if you do not outnumber them, remain hidden and quiet until they go away.

As to the matter of animals, the birds of winter will be returning in the following days.  This has set my mind to pondering about many things.  As you know, Hadar was able to craft Wolf-Fang and Eagle-Claw by pondering the mystery of the nature of wolves and eagles.  How many other animals might have traits well-suited to one task or another?  This is why when we go about our tasks; whether at the river, or the forest, or even here in the village, we must take notice of the animals we see.  We must learn of their natures and solve their mysteries.  All creatures yet unknown to us must be pondered and given names to lessen their mystery to us.  For to give something a name lessens its unknown nature and brings us one step closer to solving its mystery.  We will discuss the animals we see every day at evening meal, along with events of the day, problems that need solving, and any pondering that wishes to be shared.

Now to the matter of tasks:

Two, a man and a woman, shall teach.

Ten people, five men and five women, plus Hadar shall fish.  All shall ponder the mystery of fish, for all receive the benefits of eating it.  We must find a way in which each fisher can catch more than they currently do.  Whether this will be a new type of spear, some stone tool, some new use of mud or reeds, or some means as yet totally unknown to us; I know not, but it must be done -- it shall be done.  Hadar, my son, as well as pondering this and your own mysteries, you must also ponder the mystery of the stranger's bulky spear, for it was not like ours, therefore must serve a different purpose.  Attempt to craft one and solve its mystery, not only to add it to our knowledge, but to better understand the strangers as well.

Eight people, four men and four women, shall gather branches in the forest using axes.  They will try to find ones fitting to be used to craft wolffangs and eagleclaws, as many as they can.  Our goal will be that all adults will have one of each and an equal number of spares in storage.  I doubt we will reach that goal this month, but we will try our best.  You will gather all day and use the extra time proved by the light of the firepit to craft them for a few hours each night, others will help you at crafting time.  Making eagleclaws for all the fishers will our first goal to complete, even as we make wolffangs as well, in the hopes of gathering more fish for our ever growing village.

A man and a woman, will help Queen Inaza as she crafts stone.  They will make more knives, axes, and sharp rock tools.  Be pondering fishing and shaping wood into spears as you craft them, so you may discover a new stone tool to help with these tasks.

A man and a woman will help me as I continue pondering the many mysteries of fire.  By the end of this month, I hope to have shown all the adults the mysteries of fire I have solved.  How to cook, how to harden spears - which I have figured out much in the last month - and how to make fire.  Now be very clear about this: making fire shall only occur in the firepit until the Spirits reveal another reason to do so.  We are not fire's master, but we have solved many of its mysteries.  It is in its nature to burn those things around it which it can.  This is not evil or malicious on its part, merely its nature.  You can not blame it for burning you if you are foolish enough to knowingly touch, or your home if you make it outside the firepit.  Therefore we must use our knowledge of what contains and stops fire to better use it, but never fool yourself into thinking we control it completely.  For my part, when not teaching you the mysteries of fire, I hope to find a way to make the fire need less tending, a different way to harness cooking with it, and, hopefully, yet another mystery of it.

Now onto happy matters; since last month I have noticed many wonderful drawings on many walls and the faces of many smiling children as they placed them there.  My own son, Tarjo, was quite overjoyed when he added to the drawing that started this new tradition.  I am even more proud of him for improving upon something others thought complete.  For that is the means used to solve mysteries.

Remember your children smiling and laughing as you labor, this is what you labor for.  Your children being happy, having a better life here in this village then we had at their age, wandering from place to place in the wilderness.  While we might never be able to remove all hardship from the great mystery that is life, we can strive everyday to try.

To our labors."
.   .   .   .   .   .   .

Tarjo was happy to hear that his father was proud of him.  He decided he would try to make Father even prouder by drawing what he always talked about, people at their labors.  Tarjo knew other children also drew similar things, but he would try to draw the best.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .

Kari was sad that she had not been able to think of a new gift to give to Hadar.  She vowed to think of something new and wonderful to give him.  She thought something that involved fish, with which he labored all day would be fitting.  In the back of her mind, the quiet thought of finding a new use for fish would also make Father proud of her managed to make itself heard as well.

Recap:
2 people teach.

10 people plus Hadar will fish.  They all will ponder the mystery of fish.  Hadar will ponder the mystery of spears as well.  Hadar will try to recreate the bulky spear of the nomads and try to learn its purpose.

8 people will gather branches using axes, looking for branches that can be turned into wolffangs and eagleclaws.  All adults will help craft them into wolffangs and eagleclaws at night around the fire. (A few hours, not all night.)  Priority will be given to making eagleclaws for the fishers.

2 people plus Queen Inaza will work with stone.  They will work on improving tools they have and making new ones.

2 people plus King Malik will work with the firepit.  They will show all how to cook, harden spears, and start fires over the course of the month.  All the spears should be hardened over the course of the month, old and new.  King Malik will continue finding new ways to use, and uses for, fire. 

General Orders:
When moving around outside the village try to make as little noise and try not to be seen, as to avoid drawing the attention of bandits.  If you need help, by all means cryout, but otherwise try to keep your noise and visibility down.

Whereever you go, pay attention to your surroundings.  All will start reporting and describing all the animals and plants they see and we will begin giving them names.  The same way the wolf and eagle were invoked to make spears, other animals may have mysteries that lend themselves well to tasks.  We must observe them to find out.

Kids:

Tarjo will draw the various labors of the village.  Teaching, fishing, hut building, stoneworking, firetending, cooking, gathering etc.

Kari will continue trying to make Hadar a gift.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:33:18 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »
Pop: 27, 8 men, 8 women, 7 children, 4 royals

Codex of Hsian

Hsian was beginning to worry about his daughter Jasa. Even with her apparent amnesia about what had occurred, the thought of her being a holy vessel in some way both overjoyed him and frightened him.

What does the Great Spirit want with my little girl? he thought to himself What does he want...

This type of spiritual worry dominated the village too. Even with her strange idea's of burying the dead and removing their hearts, some of the villagers could not stop thinking that her little possession was something a little less than holy. Still, with all her strange behavior and perceived lack of holiness by some, her position as daughter of Hsian kept them all from openly questioning her abilities. For now, the issue remains silent and brooding, lurking silently just beneath the villages surface.

---

Meanwhile, the village itself was getting crowed. The woman breeder was already pregnant and so were some other women inspired by her example. Already children that had been conceived before the village was settled were being born and space was getting limited. Hsian knew he had to do something. One morning, while all the others went of to do their jobs, Hsian called all the gatherers to him in the town center and began to dictate his commands.

"Gatherers" he said "We have our first crisis on our hands. Due to the fact that several more women than expected are with child, our village is beginning to run out of space. Our sleeping huts are bursting with men, women, and children and some of them are beginning to become unhappy. This must change or our tribe will break apart. That is where you come in. You gatherers have the special task of building three new huts. Now I know that we do not have the materials right now to build all of them but if we can gather enough sticks and mud I know you can do it. Take great care in constructing these huts as they are the backbone of our future. The Great Spirit needs more children to love and for that to happen, we must grow and expand. Come on, let's get to work."

And with that the gatherers began their task of expanding the village. It would take a while, perhaps even weeks, but they knew that the survival of the village whole mattered more than their simple lives and so they obeyed and set out to work.

---

(Image by Huckbuck)

Meanwhile, the villagers, although split on the issue of Jasa, were beginning to take a newfound interest in religion, thanks to the addition of the new spiral town monument and the burial mound just outside of the village. Even the hunters, usually down to earth and practical, were beginning to fall under the Great Spirits rapture. Every Friday at sundown, some villagers would take leave of the official village meal in town and instead eat it near the burial mound outside of town. Pretty soon the whole village was following this practice, including Hsian and the royals. At this dinner, which was soon named 'Toos' by the villagers, the villagers would dine and eat like regular except at the end, where instead of throwing the bones away they were instead placed on the mound and a prayer was offered to the dead. This practice lasted until after a few Tooses the mound was completely covered in animal bones. From this point on, at least until a new burial mound is made, the bones were stored in the storage hut and left open to practical use.

The  new Priestess however was not as big a part of the spiritual as they could have been. Jasa, still coping with her new found position barely performed any rituals at all and simply insisted on her old job as a gatherer. Her helper on the other hand was more into his job than Jasa. He began to lead prayers during Tooses, taking the job over from Hsian, and started playing around with the bones and stones in the storage, trying to come up with a new way to please the Great Spirit. So far he has come up with nothing, but only time will tell whether or not this is productive in the end. 

---

Aliore and the hunters, in their search for more boars and rabbits, have begun to explore more of the surrounding area. So far they have almost made it to the sea, but were turned back by the orders of Aliore, who said that they had caught enough meat for the village and needed to turn back. They have also been exploring east of the village and onto the nearby spit of land beyond the eastern river. It is from here that the hunters got their first good look at the local mountains. At first, none of the hunter could make heads or tails of what these giant things were for no one in the group had ever seen them before. Everyone in the group was perplexed but none more so than Aliore. Ignoring the villages need for food and thinking about only the glory he would gain, Aliore and his men set out for the foothills of the mountain.

It took three days of near nonstop walking for the group to reach the mountains. As soon as they got close enough to see they found that it was impossible to get to the mountains as a deep channeled river flowed around it's base. Despite this set back, at this distance Aliore and the others could still see the mountain in great detail. They then spent the next two days camped along the river bank, catching fish, boars, rabbits, and observing the great majesty of the mountains. After these two days the group went home although they were met with much anger by Hsian and the village in general. These feelings of hostility were quickly dispelled though as Aliore and his men told of their amazing experiences to the rest of the tribe.

At first most of the tribe flat out didn't believe them but after much insistence by Aliore and the eventual belief of Hsian, the village accepted the story of the hunters adventure and soon found themselves talking about the mountains more than ever before. Whether or not the village will make anything of this is anyone's guess.

---

Life goes on in Wesich. The gatherers gather sticks, stones, and mud from the river, the fisherwomen continued to fish, the hunters went of on their hunts and brought back boars and rabbits, although slightly less then one would expect of 4 men, and the breeders keep on, well, breeding. Overall, although less than perfect, the village survives onward into a new month.

Tasks:

1: Gather sticks and use them to construct 3 new living huts.

2: Experiment with bones and stones to see what can be made from them.

Jobs:

Hunting: 5 males and Aliore, 6 overall
Fishing: 4 women, 4 overall
Gathering/building: 2 woman, Jisa, 7 children, and Hsian, 11 overall
Breeding (ordered): 2 man and 2 woman, 4 overall
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:27:45 am by Andrew Ryan »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 8)
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »
Year 1
Month 8

Population: 37 (33+ 4 Royals)
Buildings 9 (8 Homes + 1 Storage)

Gatherers: 6 Females
Repairers 1 Male
Crafters 2 Males
Hunters: 2 Male
Fishermen: 2 Male
Explorer: Kekoa, 1 Male
Guards: 1 Male
Musicians: 1 Female
Children: 11

This month most jobs are the same however 2 new jobs have been made; guard and musician. The guards job is to guard the storage hut so Chief Keli’i can spend time doing chieftain stuff. While the musician are to make music using bones and entertain the tribe during "Rest Day".

Nani recently had a vision where her hair was on fire and she could control the fire like it was an extension of her body. She told this to her husband Kekoa and beged him to capture fire for her. He loved her so much so he went out to seek fire.

Keli'i was confronted with a dispute by two men who both claimed that one of the women were their wife (though none of them were married), while saying that the other was lying. He attempted to solve this problem by asking the women who she more and then offered to marry her and the man she picked. As for the other man he ordered him to not court the women anymore after couple are married.

Humanitarian

- Keli’i must settle disputes, keep the peace and decide the tasks of the month. When he has free time he goes and visits each of the jobs to see how they are and how they are doing. He helps motivate them and even tries to solve any problems they have.

- Healers are to take care of the sick, injured and pregnant. They also must look for ways to better care for their patients.

- Teachers are to care and tech the children. They must tech them about tribal traditions, stories of the past and how to treat others within the tribe.

Production

- Gatherers are to use the fruit sticks to help reach fruit they could not get before.

- Hunters are to use spears to hunt creatures in the forest. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve. They also are to save bones for the musicians to use.

- Fishermen are to use spears to hunt creatures along the river. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve.

- Cleaners are to bodywaste pit maintained and the village clean of trash.

- Repairers are to keep the mud houses and storage hut maintained.

(Image By Huckbuck)

- Builders are to keep collecting materials using the carrying straps to build mud houses and then to build them. Use thin mud, reeds and thin branches to build houses from now on. Learn from the explorers on how to make a beaver lodge-like roof.

- Crafters are to craft heavier spears for hunters and lighter throwing spears for the fishermen. Only craft fruit sticks or straps if they do not have enough.

Protection

- Guards are to guard the storage hut from wild animals.

Spiritual

- Nani must interpret the spirits and bring up village moral. It is also her job to collect the berries and make death stones. She must also lead marriages and funerals.

(Image By Huckbuck)

- Musicians are to practice making music using bones. They shall also collect bones from the hunters to use for music. They also are to experiment with other materials such as sticks or rocks to see if they make good musical instruments as well. On "Rest Day" they shall perform their music they practiced during the week.

- On "Rest Day" everyone must sing, hum, clap and dance for the spirits and ancestors.

(Image By Huckbuck)

- On each "Rest Day" everyone shall paint the walls of the buildings with berry juice and mud dyes. Nani will paint her visions from the spirits while others will point their own experiences. Such as paintings of collecting fruit, exploration, teaching, fishing, hunting, crafting, etc. The most memorable events get painted 1st.

- Marriages are to be held at the rivers edge and now performed by the Shamaness. The couples are to submerge themselves in the water. A reeds are to be held by each and made into a loop with the other other thus symbolizing their uniting The best food are to be given to them and they get a mud hut themselves for the night.  After the ceremony everyone sings and dances.

- Deaths are to be held on the rest day and no celebrations shall occur. Everyone will fast and tell stories about the departed. The family will be given a small red stone (a berry juice covered stone) in honor of the departed.

Exploration

- Kekoa and another male are to try to find a wildfire and bring it back to the village any way they could. This is a difficult task but Kekoa loves his wife and really wants to get some for her. So he will do whatever it takes to "capture fire".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:07:26 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 11:54:55 am »
Many believe that the last fire of the year has burned out as of now, which isn't completely right. In some of the settled tribes across the lands the fire still burns to serve the will of men. The winds have started coming, and they will soon be followed by the rest of the birds, some have allready returned from their mysterious summer trip. Will the winds also bring starvation and death? Only time will tell.

Month 9
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 9)
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 05:14:17 pm »
Year 1
Month 9
Weeks: 6 Days (5 Work Days + 1 Rest Day)

Population: 40 (36+ 4 Royals)
Buildings 10 (9 Homes + 1 Storage)

Children: 12
Fire Crafters: Kekoa, 3 Males
Fishermen: 2 Male
Fruit Gatherers: 4 Females
Guards: 1 Male
Hunters: 2 Males
Musicians: 1 Female
Repairers 2 Males
Root Gatherers: 3 Females

After Kekoa's mission to capture fire failed it was important that they find fire soon. The crafters were sent to help in the mission to capture fire (see details below). It was also evident that people were getting very dirty by now so mandatory baths were ordered very day at sunset. In addition food and objects would be cleaned at the river too during this time.

Nani had another dream. This time it was about a boar comforting her with its soft fur and its tusks cutting through its own skin to give to her and her unborn baby. From her odd dream she ordered the hunters to save the skins of the boars to use as soft beds to sleep on. And to use the boars sharp tusks to cut off the skin before it rotted. Once cut off they are to be given to the cleaners before being used as beds.

In addition the rocks and sticks that were used to decorate one of the houses were ordered to be taken down since it looked ugly. However all of the paintings were left up since they were deemed beautiful by the royals.

The gatherers were separated into 2 groups now; fruit gatherers and root gatherers.

Civic

- Keli’i must settle disputes, keep the peace and decide the tasks of the month. When he has free time he goes and visits each of the jobs to see how they are and how they are doing. He helps motivate them and even tries to solve any problems they have.

Education

Entertainment

- Women are to experiment with new hair styles both by weaving their hair and/or adding bones or sticks in them.

- Musicians are to practice making music using hollow bones. They shall also collect bones from the hunters to use for music. They also are to experiment with other materials such as sticks or rocks to see if they make good musical instruments as well. On "Rest Day" they shall perform their music they practiced during the week.

- On "Rest Day" everyone must sing, hum, clap and dance for the spirits and ancestors.

- On each "Rest Day" everyone shall paint the walls of the buildings with berry juice and mud dyes. Nani will paint her visions from the spirits while others will point their own experiences. Such as paintings of collecting fruit, exploration, teaching, fishing, hunting, crafting, etc. The most memorable events get painted 1st.

Food

- Fruit Gatherers are to use the fruit sticks to help reach fruit they could not get before. They are also to save the seeds of the fruit after they have being eaten and to store them in the storage hut. Fruits are to be given to the cleaners to wash off before being put into the storage hut.

- Root Gatherers are to dig for roots in the ground. Take not of which roots are good to eat and what materials are best for digging them up. Roots are to be given to the cleaners to wash off before being put into the storage hut.

- Hunters are to use heavy spears to hunt creatures in the forest. They also are to save hollow bones for the musicians to use. Skins are to cut off with the tusks and to be saved to be used as bed.  Meat, bone and skins are to be given to the cleaners to wash off before being put into the storage hut.

- Fishermen are to use light spears to hunt creatures along the river.  Fish are to be given to the cleaners to wash off before being put into the storage hut.

Health

- Everyone is to bathe in the river at sunset to keep clean.

- Cleaners are to bodywaste pit maintained and the village clean of trash. They are also to wash meat, bone, skins, fruit and roots before putting in the storage hut.

Protection

- Guards are to guard the storage hut from wild animals.

Shelter

- Repairers are convert old to have the new "beaver lodge roofs". Also only keep the mud houses and storage hut maintained if there are major problems.

(Image By Huckbuck)

- Builders are to keep collecting materials using the carrying straps to build mud houses and then to build them. Use thin mud, reeds and thin branches to build houses from now on. All new huts shall be with "beaver lodge" roofs.

Science

- Kekoa and 3 males are to "feed the fire" by offering it wood and dry grass to "eat". Since they now know what it eats they plan to collect wood and dry grass and out it in a pile in the center of the village. They also are to surround the pile with rocks to "trap" the fire to prevent it from escaping. When going out to "hunt" fire they will use the carrying straps to bring wood and dry grass with them. Once the fire is found they will try too feed it sticks. If a stick is lit they will quickly head back to the village with the fire feeding. If it eats all of one wood feed it another.

If no wildfire can be found by mid month then they are to work with Nani to summon the fire within the already built "fire cage". Nani is to sing and dance nearby while the men work on the task. The summoning shall be done by using "warm" things for instance since dark rocks get warmer than light rocks the darker rocks shall try to be "feed" dry grass and sticks. Since Kekoa and the crafters know that when rubbing spears on rocks to sharpen them they get warmer so they will try rubbing not only sticks against rocks but sticks against sticks and rocks against rocks. It is important that they capture fire by the end of the month.

Spiritual

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:35:19 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 9)
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:00 pm »
Year 1
Month 9

Total Population: 43 (38 + 5 Royals)
Men: 14 (K + 13 )
Women: 14 (Q + 13 )
Boys: 8 (2H + 6 )

Again the appointed day comes and the village gathers to hear the words of King Malik.

They sit around the firepit for some time waiting for King Malik to speak, but he sits there deep in thought.

Finally, Queen Inaza speaks,  "Malik, what troubles you?"

Looking up as if just noticing the people had arrived, Malik says "Nothing troubles me.  I am merely pondering the many mysteries the Spirits have revealed to me."

"What are you pondering beloved?"

"The many shapes my hands take as they perform tasks."

Everyone in the village begins looking at each other, confused expressions on their faces, hoping someone can explain the meaning of his words.

Hadar is the first to regain his voice.  "What do you mean Father?  I do not understand."

"Tell me how we dig pits?" quizzes Malik in response.

"What?"

"Someone, anyone explain how we dig pits?"

"Father -- I don --"

"Stop.  Your task has always been to fish, so you do not know."  Malik points to a man in the crowd.  "Bodan, you helped dig the firepit, the bodywaste pit, and many fishpits.  How did we dig the pits?"

The man, Bodan, has a look of fear on his face as he speaks, "I -- I . . ."

"Relax yourself and remember.  I ask only so others can follow my pondering."

"Well, . . . you told us where to dig and we did?"

"Yes, but how did you remove the dirt from the ground?"

"We . . . we struck the earth with our spears to loosen it, then we scooped it up with our hands, and moved it to whichever place you had told us to take it with that task.  Then we repeated doing so until the hole was the size and depth you had told us to make it."

"So, after loosening the earth with spears, you had to bend over to scoop up the dirt?"

"Well, at first, but after some time at it we would have to get on our knees to get at the dirt, and some would just stay on their knees and strike the earth from that position so they wouldn't have to get up and down so much."

"So, do you see what would ease the difficulty of this task?"

" . . . No?"

"Anyone?"

Almost all look at him with blank stares.  His wife and children -- and a lot of the other's children, happily enough -- all look at him in deep thought unable to answer his question.

"Imagine a spear that is hard and sharp so it can pierce the earth, but instead of its point being narrow and pointy; imagine its point being broad and curved like your hands when scooping.  Then after you pierced the earth with it, you could scoop up the dirt with it as well."

Many looked dumbfounded, but others looked amazed, especially Tarjo.  It seemed to him that his Father was truly blessed by the Spirits and he hoped one day that he too would be equally blessed.

After many moments, Hadar spoke.  "Father, I can not think of a way to craft such a spear."

"I do not currently think we can, but hopeful as the mystery of tools and shaping wood and stone are made clearer to us, I think we shall."

The village remained quiet for a moment as they slowly absorbed King Malik's words.

After another few moments, Kari spoke.  "What other shapes and tasks are you pondering, Father?"

Looking at his daughter and smiling, "There are many, but a similar shape is that which my hands make when drinking from the river.  It is like scooping dirt, but my hands are held much tighter together.  If wood, or perhaps something else, could be shaped in such a fashion and much larger than mere hands, we could carry more water home from the river than we currently do with our tree bark method."

Many took special interest in these words, because many were tired of the tree bark method.

"These musings on my ponderings are good, but these are not the tasks the Spirits wish us to accomplish this month.

Two, a man and women shall teach.  Remember to listen to their many ponderings for they notice things most adults do not.  They are willing to question the way things are and the way things could be much more readily than most adults.  This is the gift the Spirits have given to all children.  The Danrathi must learn to hold onto this precious gift when they reach adulthood and not cast it away as refuse.

Ten, five men and five women, plus Hadar shall fish.  All shall try to ponder new ways of catching fish.  Eagleclaws work quite well, but that does not mean there still isn't an even better way.  Hadar will continue pondering and trying to craft the bulky spear of the nomads as well.

Four, two men and two women, shall start replacing the reed roofs of the huts with branch roofs.  The branch roofed house has performed well these many months and never grew stinky, so it is a good material for roofs.  Also, the branch gatherers and their axes collected so many branches they do not all even fit in the storage hut, so there are plenty at hand for the task.  The spear-point-shaped reed roof also proved to be a good design, so make the branch roofs in a similar fashion.

Six, three men and three women, shall gather branches with axes, looking for branches that can be made into wolffangs and eagleclaws.  At night all adults will help in crafting them into spears and hardening them with fire.  Our goal is that all adults will have one of each and an equal number of spares in the storage hut.

A man and a woman will help Queen Inaza as she crafts stone.  They will make more knives, axes, and sharp rock tools as they continue to ponder and develop new tools.  I have been told they have figured out a tool that carves into wood, but not truly shape it.  I know they will continue to make progress in this difficult task before them, for the prosperity of all Danrathi.

A man and a woman shall help me as I continue pondering and teaching the mysteries of fire.  I think I will see if how the wood is shaped into its pile effects the way the fire burns it and try finding new ways to expose fish to fire.  I have yet to try to find a use for the smoke that rises from the fire and will attempt to do so.  All I know of it so far is it comes in different colors and none of them are fit to breathe.

There are only a few matters I need to speak of.

I know that someone is collecting fishbones for some, as yet, unknown purpose.  All I ask of this someone is to make sure all fish flesh is removed from the bones, so the rotting smell of it does not attract the scavengers of the waste pile into the village.  The Spirits were very wise to have us build it so far from the village and I would not want to undo the blessing that keeps scavengers out of our homes.

I am happy to report once again a drawing my son Tarjo has made.  He has drawn a very large drawing of the tasks involved with fish and fishing.

Encourage your children to do likewise and draw the various tasks that they see; they need not be so big though.  They need to learn about the tasks from their teachers and parents, for one day they will be adults and do them also.

To our labors."
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
As the villagers started walking off, Malik started thinking about how he would ponder fire that day, when he noticed Hadar was still sitting in his place at the firepit.  Malik glanced at him inquiringly.

"Father, may we talk?"

"Always my son."

"Thank you Father.  There are some things I have been pondering lately and need your advice on.
The first is the matter of the bulky spear.  With all the time I spend fishing and helping others learn to use their spears, I have no time to go into the woods to find the right shape of branch, nor would I have time to shape it."

"Well, you must learn to delegate tasks to others to make time for things you must do.  I can not do everything, so I tell others what must be done and hope that they are.  Sometimes things do not go as planned and I must chastise someone or better explain my intentions to them, but as long as no one was endangered it is usually a trivial matter to do so."

"I will try that Father.
The other matter is that of something Tadok said to me while fishing, it has weighed heavy in my mind for the last few days.  He said, 'Even if you get the biggest catch with flesh enough to feed as many people as there are fingers on my hand you can still carry it with ease, yet a rock of the same size would have you tottering underneath it. It must be the fish lightness that lets the water carry it as its burden, for it lets the rock sink.'  There is truth in his words, but I don't know what to do with it or how to apply it to catching fish."

Malik sat quietly for a few minutes pondering the words.  In that time, his assistants with the fire arrived with a pile of branches for burning, but he waved them off to get more.

"Are we sure Tadok pondered correctly?  It is true a fish and a rock the same size are different burdens to carry and one will float and the other sink, but is it weight alone that causes it to do so?"

"How else could it be Father?"

"Well, if I take the smallest, lightest pebble I can find and throw it into the river it will sink, but a heavy tree branch that snaps off into the river during a storm will float away."

"But Father, rock is also heavier than wood of the same size."

"Of course Hadar -- weight and size!"

"What?  I don't understand your pondering Father."

"It is not just the weight of a object, but also how much weight is in it for its size.  Rock has more weight for its size than fish and wood, so it sinks no matter its actually size.  Fish and wood have less weight for their size so they float despite their actually weight."

"Father, how does water make the distinction between objects or cause anything to float in the first place, and what does any of this have to do with catching fish to eat?"

"I have no idea Hadar, but it is a truly wonderful mystery!  We should both continue pondering this matter and hopefully the Spirits will reveal more of the matter to us."

"All right Father.  I will do so.  I think I will expend more effort on the bulky spear of the nomads first though."

"That is alright.  Winter is drawing near and the Spirits want us to be better prepared for it, more than they want us chasing after new mysteries, but in the spring the Danrathi will delve into many new mysteries."

"I will see you at evening meal Father."

Hadar got up and walked some distance away, when his father calls out, "Hadar if you ever see a floating rock, retrieve it and bring it to me, or I to it, straight away."

"Alright Father, I will." responded Hadar more confused than ever.
Hadar does not know what to do about floating objects, but he described the shape of the nomad's bulky spear to all the branch gathers in the hope they will bring him a branch suitable to shaping.  He will attempt to do so in the evenings around the fire.
Tarjo decides to continue his project of drawing all the tasks of the village, but he already has many more tasks in mind for when he is done.
Kari knows it is best to obey her father and will double check her fish parts to make sure there is no flesh to rot on them.  Now how will she craft them into a special gift for Hadar?

Recap:

2 people teach.

10 people plus Hadar fish.  All work on better ways to fish.  Hadar will keep trying to make the bulky spear of the Nomads.

4 people will start trading out reed roofs for branch roofs.  They will still try to make the roofs look like the point of a spear.

6 people will gather branches using axes, looking for branches that can be turned into wolffangs and eagleclaws.  All adults will help craft them into wolffangs and eagleclaws at night around the fire. (A few hours, not all night.) 

2 people plus Queen Inaza will work with stone.  They will work on improving tools they have and making new ones.

2 people plus King Malik will work with the firepit.  They will show all how to cook, harden spears, and start fires over the course of the month.  All the spears should be hardened over the course of the month, old and new.  King Malik will continue finding new ways to use, and uses for, fire.

General Orders:
All flesh must be removed from fishbones if you are attempting to use them for a task.  We don't want them rotting and attracting scavengers into the village.

Heirs:

Hadar will tell the branch gathers what shape of branch he needs to make the bulky spear of the nomads with and he will work on it in the evening around the fire.

Tarjo will continue drawing the various labors of the village: Teaching, fishing, hut building, stoneworking, firetending, cooking, gathering etc.

Kari will continue trying to make Hadar a gift.  She feels so close.  If only she could somehow add a personal touch.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:05:11 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 9)
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 10:58:36 pm »
Pop: 29, 9 men, 8 women, 8 children, 4 royals

Codex of Hsian

Hsian was pleased with himself at what the village and himself had accomplished over the last month. Already two of the three new stick huts had been built and the gatherers were busily working on the third. The village had plenty of food, the women, including his wife Jisa, were mating and getting pregnant, the new rituals gave the village a new sense of purpose that it previously had lacked, and just recently the hunters had discovered a small tribe just to the west. Overall things were looking up and it filled Hsian with joy that things were going so well for his people.

Hsian was worried though about his Jisa and her new unborn baby. He hadn't forgotten what the Great Spirit had said about evil spirits taking over the bodies of the dead and worried that since the new baby was royalty and so young that she might be taken over by one of these spirits and used against him and the village. He knew he had to protect her and her unborn child or the village would not survive long after his death. Suddenly, while viewing a pregnant couple embracing, an idea popped into his head. He ran by the river and started to gather some wet mud from the river bank. He then went to the storage shed and using the moisture on his hands, liquefied a bit of the of the blood still in the heart and spread it on his fingers. He then went to see Jisa, who was sitting and and playing with Jasa. After sending Jasa out of the room, Hsian then told Jisa about what was worrying him and told her to stand still while he applied the mud and blood to her body.

Later that day, Hsian called a town meeting. Everyone, even the hunters, had come to see what Hsian had to say. What they got however was something more unexpected. From the storage hut Hsian emerged with Jisa. What was so strange about this was that Jisa was covered from head to toe in whimisical patterns and designs of mud and blood. A large radiating pattern was painted on each breast and a large swirl much like that of the village monument was painted on her pregnant stomach with the swirl ending at her belly button. Everyone who saw her was both dumbstruck and amazed at what Hsian had done to her. The couple move toward the center of the swirl and then Hsian began to speak.

"My fellow kinsman" he said "By now I am sure all of you know about the child that rests within Jisa, my wife. What I am sure most of you don't know is that evil is trying to corrupt it. If the Great Spirit can take over a small child like Jasa, then surely evil, less powerful spirits can take over the unborn or the dead. This is why we are gathered here today. Jisa and her child must be cleansed and only with our will and the will of the great spirit can do so. For the Great Spirit loves his children and to have them fall prey to the dark side is to have a part of him fall to the dark side. So let us pray, pray to the Great Spirit, pray that Jisa's child is safe and clean!"

At once Hsian began to chant and soon the entire crowd began to chant with him. Jisa herself was nervous and embraced beyond belief, so much so that her cheeks were as red as roses and she protectively clutched at her private area's. For ten minutes the ritual continued with more chanting, more dancing. Finally, after fifteen minutes Hsian raised his hands and everyone stopped. He then strolled over to Jisa and, in a most shocking way, publicly kissed Jisa. A few gasps could be heard from the shocked crowd. With this the ritual ended and Hsian and Jisa went to one of the huts to comfort each other. The crowd soon dispersed and went back to their duties, with most of them were filled with a new sense of spiritual wonder and freedom.

---

After the ritual was completed, the next few days were almost completely focused on meeting the new tribe to the west. The group of ten their had been seen hunting around the area and it appeared to village that they had access to superior weaponry. Hsian knew that he couldn't have any rivals tribes close to his village because of the potential problems that proximity could create. He either had to make them leave or take them into the tribe, both of which would be very hard to do.

To accomplish this task he knew he had bring them over to the side of the Great Spirit. With this on his mind, he gathered up anyone willing to volunteer for this mission. By the end of the day he had managed to get over half the village to come with him on his mission, including all the hunters as well as Aliore and Jasa. So, at the break of the following day, Hsian and his troupe of helpers went off into the west ton convert the nomads to their way.

The march to the other tribe was a long and arduous trek over the many hills that dominated the western plains. It took them three straight days of hiking, but by the beginning of the third day they finally found the village. Hsian and Jasa were the only ones allowed to approach the village but Hsian also brought along two armed hunters just behind them, just in case things got dicey. Overall, the area where the nomads stopped was nothing like Wesich, as apparently they still lived without the use of huts. The four walked up onto one of the hills overlying the village and was starting to get a general survey of the area when the sound of shouting was heard from the chasm below. Hsian looked down and saw that several people were looking at them from the village center. They were only a few of them, no more than ten at the most, and all of them looked remarkably similar to the village people of Wesich. Hsian could tell that the large male in the middle was their leader by looking at his body paint. He slowly signaled Jasa to come with him down into the village, while ordering the hunters to attack if things got dicey.

They began to make their way down the hill and soon they were standing face to face with the strange foreigners. Hsian greeted the nomads in Wesich's traditional dialect but soon found that their language was completely unknown to the villagers. At this point the other village chief knew that Hsian and Jasa weren't going to attack them so nervously he let them know, by form of gestures, that it was safe to interact with his fellow tribe members. It took a couple of days of frequent gesturing and simple words but soon both tribes could grasp a basic understanding of the others respective language. It was here that the negotiations began to take place. Hsian told the other tribe leader, whose name was Porel, that he was from a village to the east, that the Great Spirit had told informed him of the nomads presence, and had ordered them to go to the nomads and convert them to him. At first Porel was skeptical of what Hsian was saying; to him, all his idea's sounded like complete hogwash. But he soon forgot about what Hsian had said about his Great Spirit and offered him a small tour around the village for fear of retribution, which Hsian graciously accepted. Porel introduced him to each of the ten nomads, including his very pregnant wide, and the surrounding area of the chasm. After this, Porel took Hsian into what appeared to hole in the side of the hill and showed him inside. Apparently, the reason the nomads had stopped here was because of a cave in the side of the hill. When Hsian first looked inside the cave, he was fascinated with it. It's walls were like that of stone and yet above them was the earth that they were standing on before. It was unlike anything he had ever seen before. Hsian wanted to question Porel more on this cave but was led out of it almost as fast as he was led into it. Due to Hsian's respect for the customs of the village and him wanting to please the obviously powerful chief, Porel tenativelly allowed Hsian, Jasa, and the hunters to stay in the town for a couple of nights, although they were not allowed near any of the other nomads. They both agreed and soon they were busy preparing a small feast for that very night.

The next couple days passed slowly until one day a cry of pain emanated from the cave. Nearly everyone in the village, including Hsian and Jasa rushed over to see what was going on.

"Arrrrrgggghhh!!!" screamed the woman laying on the ground, clutching at her pregnant stomach "It hurts... My stomach huuuuurrrrtsss!!!"

At once, everyone knew what was going on, she was giving birth. Porel acted immediate by ordering some of his fellow tribes members to bring some water from the nearby river.

"Come on, my wife" he said, trying his best to coax the woman up onto her feet "We have to get into the light, don't you want our baby born in the light of day rather than in this dark cave?"

Porel's words did nothing to consol his wife however and she continued to moan and to groan on the cold cave floor.

"Auggghhhh!!! My child... It won't come out... I think it's stuck..."

Another thirty minutes passed and the villagers arrived with water for the woman but it did little to help her. Another thirty minutes went by and by this time everyone in the room was getting worried. They all knew that if the baby wasn't delivered soon that she might die from the extreme pain and blood loss. In all the excitement and worry, nobody noticed that Jasa was starting to enter one of her trances.

Suddenly Jasa rushed up from crowd surrounding the woman and began to comfort her. Porel tried to rush over to stop the little girl but Hsian restrained him and told him that Jasa was possesed right now by the Great Spirit and that this was the Great Spirits way of proving he existed unbelieving tribes. Several more minutes passed and things were hardly getting better with Jasa around. Then, surprising everyone, Jasa suddenly reached to the womans private area and began to pull the child out with her bare hands. The woman screamed in horrible pain but after only a few more minutes the baby emerged and plopped right into Jasa's now bloody hands. She then, getting up from her knealing position, handed the child over to Porel and let him coddle the baby in his arms.

"I hope this is a good enough to prove I exist." said the Great Spirit "Let this be a lesion to you, the Great Spirit can both bring life and take life. Today he has brought life. Tomorrow, who knows, that will be up to you and to your tribe. But remember this, the Great Spirit loves all, but he loves not those who fall prey to the Spirits of Evil."

And then as suddenly as the vision began it ended and Jasa collapsed into her fathers waiting arms. When the group left the cave along with the mother, Porel expressed his great relief that his first child was delivered safely. He also wished to give thanks for his daughter and him for opening his eye's to the power of the Great Spirit. Porel also told Hsian, just when he was about to leave, that he would think about joining their tribe and that if they were to join, they should expect a the whole tribe to be waiting outside of Wesich one fine Fall morning. At this, Hsian and Porel gave their goodbyes and parted ways, with Hsian and Jasa holding hands as they parted from the village and out onto the vastness of the wind swept plain.

---

It had been three more days since the group had been to the western tribe and Hsian was beginning to reflect on what he had seen when at the village. He had remembered the giant hole into the earth where the chief wife had given birth. What was to stop him from making such a cave and admiring it all he wanted? What was to stop him? Suddenly Hsian had an idea. He rushed into the center of town and got a lone male gatherer and told him get some hard stones from the storage shed and follow him. The man quickly obliged and soon both men were out near the hill about 50 yards away from the village. At once Hsian ordered the man to pound the rock into the earth and to scrape up the earth and throw it into a pile nearby. The man obeyed and soon Hsian was doing the same, all in the search for the magical black rock.

---

In the meantime, besides the addition of the new mining hole in the side of the hill, things continued on normally for the village. The former expedition members were beginning to spread rumors about the other village and their potential conversion to the Great Spirit. Overall, it was a good month for the village and things were starting to look a little bit better, even with the threat in a couple months of the first winter in Wesich's short history.

Tasks and General Orders:

1: Gatherers gather sticks and use them to construct the new living hut. After this is done, they are to go back to gathering more stones, sticks, and mud from the river.

2: The priestesses helper is to bang the bones and stones together to see what can be made from them.

3: The Miners are to dig a large hole into the side of one nearby hills and bring back anything dug up to the storage shed.

4: Hunters are to explore and hunt for boars, rabbits, and other small critters.

5: Fishermen are to catch fish and experiment with new ways of fishing.

6: Breeders are to have sex nonstop for the first part of the day, then join any group that needs help afterward.

7: Priestess Jasa is to continue to be a gatherer and then on the Toos, lead the village in prayer and solemn remembrance.

Jobs:

Hunting: 5 males and Aliore, 6 overall
Fishing: 4 women, 4 overall
Gathering/building: 2 woman, Jisa, 7 children, 10 overall
Breeding (ordered): 2 man and 2 woman, 4 overall
Miners: 1 man and Hsian, 2 overall
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:12:00 pm by Andrew Ryan »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 12:03:43 pm »

The last birds had arrived, and the first strong winds as well. The temperature is steadily getting lower, and for many it is only hard labor that gives them warmth. A few squalls of rain have confirmed that the winter is at the doorstep, soon the winds and dark clouds will be a weekly, almost daily occurance. Will the tribes survive their first winter, when their naked bodies are tested by the spirits of nature in the crude way of severe cold? 

Month 10
@davidramnero

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 10)
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:38 pm »
Year 1
Month 10

Total Population: 48 (43 + 5 Royals)
Men: 15 (K + 14 )
Women: 15 (Q + 14 )
Boys: 9 (2H + 7 )
Girls: 9 (1H + 8 )

"Hurry to me!  The first days of winter approach and there is much to do." 

The voice of King Malik breaks the still morning air, even before the Lightgiver has truly made itself known in the sky.

The people hurry quickly to gather around the firepit.

"Now the tasks of the month and the new mysteries revealed to us.

Two, a man and a woman shall teach.  In the winter months, the children will be kept indoors when the weather is bad.  Use the two large huts for this purpose.  Somedays, have all the boys in one hut and all the girls in the other; on other days have the older children in one hut and the young ones in the other, and have the teachers alternate between them on different days.  Question each other about all you know, take time to sing and to draw on the walls to pass the time.

Two, a man and a woman shall tend, and ponder fire, at the firepit.  I shall have other duties this month.  In the last month I have discovered that branches packed to tightly together do not burn well.  It seems they need space between to let the fire consume them.  Ponder this mystery by piling the wood in different ways and shapes and seeing which burn best and worst.

Two, a man and a woman shall gather branches with axes for use in the firepit.  We will need many to fight off the comming cold days.

Two, a man and a woman shall help Queen Inaza ponder and form stone tools.  They shall make as many of the new wood shaping tools as they can.
Come forward and show them the new tool, beloved."

This time Queen Inaza was ready to speak, for she had suggested that she do so again.

"Thank you, my love.
This is the new woodshaping tool of which Malik spoke.

Unlike the axe, this has a curved edge which allows us to decide how much of it comes into contact with the wood we are shaping by how we place it next to the wood.  Then the depth of the wood removed depends on how hard we push upon it.  We can make deep or shallow gouges and wide or narrow cuts.  It will truly help in the shaping of wood.  It has even already done so. 
Behold!

This was made based on the pondering of Malik on the shape of his hands while drinking.  Using one of the branches collected to help Hadar make the bulky spear that was found unfit for that purpose, this was made.  The branch was wide at one end and narrowed quickly.  Removing the narrow end and gouging out the inner parts of the bulky end, this form was shaped.  The whole thing was scraped over to make it smooth to the touch of our hands and lips, then hardened with fire.
I think this ability to more easily shape wood will make our lives equally easier."

The crowd let out some cheers, but they were not as vigorous as they normally were for it was truly early -- while the sun rose late on winter days, King Malik did not.  But all grasped, in some form or another, that this could lead to many new things.

Malik begins again.  "Thank you, beloved.  Now the the task of fishing --"

"Father!  I have crafted something too and wish to present it as well." called out Kari.

"Let it be so then.  Does anyone else have anything after that?" Malik said only slightly in jest, for they seemed all truly blessed in the last month and there could be more.

"I have the bulky spear of the Nomad's Father," said Hadar.

"Can I show my new drawing Father, please?" questioned Tarjo.

The rest of the village was quiet, some amused at the banter and others amazed at how blessed the King's family was.

"Youngest to oldest, for Tarjo said please . . . and ending the revealing of new objects on the serious matter of the Nomad's spear will regain any lost attention," said Malik looking around at the many tired faces.

Kari frowned for a moment, because she had spoken first and she thought her object was very serious too.

Tarjo nervously steps forward.  He feels a little bit uncomfortable before the crowd, but he presses on, for he wishes to be as much like his Father as possible.
"Look at that wall; for by the light of the fire you can see it.

It is the gathering of reeds and their travel from the river to the roofs.  I chose to draw that, because soon all our roofs will be made of branches and we should not forget the way we did things before.  Just because we find a new way to do something doesn't mean there isn't something else to learn from the old way.  Uh mm, thank you."  Tarjo bows to the village, then hurries back to his seat by his mother.

"That is very wise of you, Tarjo.  I am proud that you realize such things at your young age.  It is good to remember the old ways and look for new lessons in them, but also remember -- do not cling to ways just because they are old.  It would be good for all to ponder these words." said Malik looking at the crowd.
"Kari you may speak now." spoke Malik nodding his head at her.

"Thank you Father.  After giving Mother her gift, I starting trying to make a gift for Hadar, because he is the best fisher and the crafter of many spears.  It took awhile, for I wished it to be new and good and dealing with Hadar's constant task of fishing, for I wanted him to carry the blessing of the fish spirit with him.  It was I who collected fishbones in the hopes of finding a new use for them.  I pondered and worked hard like my Father always says to do, so the Spirits blessed my efforts and I made this."

She walked over to Hadar and reached up with it trying to put it around his neck, but could not reach.

"Bend down Hadar, so I can place it on you."

"Oh, of course," he said as he kneeled.

"This is for all the wonderful things you do for the village" and she placed it around his neck.

"Thank you, sister," said Hadar smiling.

Kari turned away to go sit down, but the voice of her father stopped her.

"Wait.  How did you make that?"

"There are many different kinds of fish bones and I wanted to make something that could attach to Hadar the way leaves attach to trees or my hair is attached to my head.  Last month, you said to check any fishbones being used for some purpose to be free of fish flesh, so I double checked all the ones I had.  I noticed some had little holes that went all the way through them and I realized I could fit some of my hair through the holes.  I put my hair through the holes and found away to attach the hair together with tightened loops so it would all be long enough to fit around Hadar's neck, because I thought it would be in the way near his hands."

"You did all that?"

"I just made Hadar a gift, Father."

"You found a new use for fishbones, holes, hair, and loops.  You have done more than you think little one.  I am very proud of you."  Malik places his hand on his chin and he begins to ponder.  He quickly speaks.
"You will show all the other children how to do this, so they too can make these gifts.  Likewise, Tarjo will help the other children better understand the ways of drawing."

"Yes, Father." replied both Kari and Tarjo from were they were.

Kari bowed to the village and returned to her place.

"Hadar the bulky spear of the Nomads?" questioned Malik to his eldest son.

"Yes Father.  After much work, and some help from Mother in the shaping.  I have made the spear of the nomads.

It is not good for throwing or stabbing, but I have found the thick end adds good weight for blows when swung aligned with the ground or with the trees.  I do not know what uses such a spear has though, it must be a tool of some sort."

Malik ponders for a moment, then speaks.  "Tarjo, go to the storage hut and bring back the biggest bone you can find there."

"Yes, Father" and Tarjo got up and headed that way.

"Hadar, just because something is very different from the things you know, does not mean they are entirely dissimilar from things you already know.  What does this remind you of?"

"A spear, but it is not one."

Malik turns to the village, "Does it remind anyone else of anything?"

The crowd looks at it with little recognition, except for one young boy a year younger than Hadar who giggles. 
King Malik takes a stern look on his face and points at the boy, "You have pondered incorrectly.  You must learn to ponder with your mind."

About then Tarjo returns and hands his father a large leg bone, "Here Father" and returns to his place.

"Thank you, Tarjo.
Hadar, I think this is like a spear, but used differently.  New words must be made.  'Spear' means 'defense stick', because we first used it to defend ourselves from bandits, but we deceive ourselves with that name.  I think the term 'weapon' describes this object and the spear, because it means 'killing tool.' "

A gasp comes from the village for the King has spoken quite boldly in their language.

"I do not wish to give offense, but merely speak plainly and truthfully."

Malik walks a few feet away, bends over, places the bone on the ground, and walks back.

"Go strike the bone with that Hadar."

Hadar looks confused for a moment, then walks over to the bone.  He lines up the strike as not to miss, then brings the object down on the bone with all his might.  The bone shatters beneath the weight of the blow.
The group it quite silent for some moments before King Malik speaks, but all are fully awake now.

"This is a 'club,' for truly it is a 'wooden fist.'  This is the weapon of the nomads we saw, just as spears are our weapons.  They likely use this tool because they have yet to solve the mystery of the spear.  There are likely other objects that are weapons that we will not realize are such and therefore should be vigilant to learn of them and be wary of their presence among strangers we meet.  Remember this lesson.  In the fullness of time, we too will make clubs and craft other new weapons, but that is not what the Spirits require of us this month.  They require other tasks of us.

Ten, five men and five women plus Hadar shall fish.  But they shall not just fish, should they get the chance to spear a winter bird or a woodpecker, they are to do so and bring it back to the village.

As to that, henceforth, we shall dissect all the animals we kill and try to find a use for all their parts.  For if fishbones can be worn then we may be missing many uses.  We will expose their parts to the heat of the fire to see if they become good to eat or if their nature changes like the hardening of wood or if we can wear some part of them in some fashion.  Only after a part proves worthless, or starts to rot, will we throw it in the waste pile.

Finally, ten people, five men and five women shall help me craft two huts. 

The first of the huts we shall be build will be like our normal huts, it will just not be in the village.  It will be near where the North and Middle river meet.  It shall be placed on a hill so you can see any all directions if you are on the hill and the hut will not become flooded if the river leaves its banks.  This hut shall be a hut of refuge for the fishers should they be out fishing and terrible weather strikes.  They will go to the hut and huddle together within it until the weather passes and they can then return to their labors or the village depending on the severity of the situation.

The second hut shall be for the firepit to keep the rain off it.  It is similar to our huts in some fashions and different in others.  I know what is required of the hut, so that is why I will labor with you to make sure it is done as well as possible.  Part of it will be like half a hut over and around the fire end of the pit and its walls.  Branches and reeds shall be used inside the mud walls to lend their strength to it.  There will be hand sized holes in the wall to let the smoke escape out of them.  The other part will be over the ash end of the pit and its seating walls.  It shall be a roof supported by false tree trunks made of sturdy branches and reeds stuck in shallow holes in the ground and the roof will be made of reeds crisscrossing between the reeds covered in mud.  And all of it will have a thin coating of mud to protect it from the fire.  We will gather branches and reeds as needed, but there are plenty of left over reeds from the hut roofs we replaced last month, so there should be enough of them."

Many that had been able to follow Malik's works, did not understand the second hut for fire, but they were glad he would be helping them.

"To our labors," said Malik, but he thought 'I hope I can protect my people from winter' to himself.

Recap:
2 people teach.  This will happen inside during the winter months.  The children can ask and answer questions, sing, draw, or make fishbone objects.

10 people plus Hadar fish.  If they get a chance to spear one of the winter birds or a woodpecker, do so and bring it back to the village to be examined for uses, cooked, and eaten.

2 people plus Queen Inaza will work with stone.  They will make as many of the wood shaping tool as they can.

2 people tend and ponder the fire.  They are to try piling the wood in different ways to see how it affects the fire.

2 people will gather branches with axes for the firepit.

10 people plus King Malik will build a refuge hut for the fishers and special hut for the firepit. (Details to be in post and in a PM.)

General Orders:
We will start dissecting all the animals will kill and examine all their parts for uses.  We will expose each type of part to the heat of fire to see if they become more suitable for eating, change their nature like wood does, or if they can be worn in some fashion.  Things that rot or are deemed useless get thrown in the waste pile.

Heirs:
Hadar will start pondering the idea that there are weapons that are not spears and how he could go about making them, along with other ways to make better spears.

Tarjo will continue drawing the various labors of the village: Teaching, fishing, hut building, stoneworking, firetending, cooking, gathering etc.  He will draw them much smaller, because he will be indoors and not have as much room to work as before.  He will try to help the other children learn to draw better.

Kari will start thinking of a gift to make her Father.  She will examine any new things brought into the village for ideas.  She will show the other children how to make fishbone necklaces.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:11:06 pm by Slartibartfast »