Author Topic: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 2 Month: 8)  (Read 26603 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 4)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 05:14:46 pm »
Year 1
Month 4

Village Name: Uli
Population: 21

Cheiftan: Keli’i
Shamaness: Nani
Nurses: Lani, 2 Females
Gatherers: 3 Females
Cleaners: 1 Male
Builders: 3 Males
Stick Crafters: 2 Males
Children: 7

Due to the recent death of one of the explorers Nani interprets this as a bad omen and that they must stop exploring for now until the spirits say so. She also says;

"The the spirits want to us to mourn the death of the explorer at the next "rest day" even though we do not have a body. During this rest day there shall be no celebrating but remembering the life of the departed. We shall all tell stories of him and nice things we remember about him. All shall fast during this day to represent how empty inside we feel for him leaving this tribe. In addition his family will be given a small red stone (a berry juice covered stone) which they will be able to keep in their mud home with them to remember him."

For the rest of the month Nani continues what she did last month by interpreting the spirits and expressing them through singing and dancing at the other "rest days".

Lani continues to take care for the children as the head nurse. She enjoys teaching the children and gotten to know each of them very well. She has even come up with little songs and rhymes to help them remember things such the "Buddy Song" which reminds them always to have a buddy and the "Respect Your Elders" song that teaches them that the elders are wise and know whats best.

(Image By Huckbuck)

Keli’i could see that his daughter was becoming a natural leader and was very proud of her. He also figured out a way to use reed to carry things. This would prove very useful. So he begin to teach both the gathering women and the builder men how to make it themselves. Once they have learned how to make it themselves, they can use it to help with their tasks. In addition to his mediator role Keli'i continued his experiments with creating new tools that could help his tribe become more efficient. He is currently working on a way to carry fruit and other smaller items.

Keli'i revealed that;

"Everyone shall continue what they have been doing however the explorers shall have a new task. Since the survivor explorer saw the "flying stick" that killed his friend he shall try to reproduce this stick he saw so we may protect ourselves. A 2nd male shall help him by gathering materials he needs and help solve the mystery of these "flying sticks". Test out diffrent kinds of sticks such as shape, color, bendyness, weight, dryness, texture and even smell. When testing be careful not to injury yourself or others."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:36:41 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 4)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:51 am »

Village: Scorge
Wiseman: Mernin (38)
Wisewoman: Shalbee (29)
Older son: Jermin (16)
Youngest son: Ferilin (12)
Population: 20

I exit out of my house and to the town center. I then summon every one. “Good people of scorge the river is thankful to all of us for following its unquestionable guidance. But the river does worry about our well being since there have been bandits sighted and the heat has rose. To deal with the bandit problem the river has told me that we must use my sons’ beast stones and practice with them on the trees. We will improve our strength by using the trees and our stealth when we are fishing.

“I will take care of the children. The tree practice will take place between jobs and me and the children will sing five songs to the river the last song will end with all of us yelling.”
“In other news, I have been able to decide which of my two sons will be the next Wiseman after I move on, and my choice is my youngest son Ferilin. He has shown that he can communicate with the river through what is usually unnoticed by most.”
Everyone looked astonished at the choice even Ferilin. Ferilin said “This can’t be right, shouldn’t Jermin be the next wise man?”
I then replied “unfortunately it is not. I had always hoped that Jermin would become the Wiseman but he doesn’t know how to speak with the river in any way and for that he cannot. But what he does know is how to lead and this is why he will assist you when I pass away, but onto matters of the scavenger. They have been coming to close to the village and so we will try to get rid of the waste pile by burning it up with my light rocks but we will be doing this at a safe distance away from the village, about 50 paces. While the burning is happening the women and children will weave the tree hairs into larger strands. That is what the river has asked us to.”
Jermin then says “the river has been so nice to us would you allow me to design and create a building just for the river?” I reply “I believe it would be a good gift to the river for all it has done for us.” Then my wife says “I think we should make something to cover our skin. I and the other women have been working with the fish skin to cover ourselves.” I then reply “The river feels this is a good idea, now let all of us be prepared for the month.

Private thoughts
Mernin: everyone seems to have been having good ideas. Ferilin seems a bit nervous about becoming the Wiseman but he will do find. I hope every one can figure out how to use the beast stones, Im sure every one will be fine though.
Shalbee: all of the women seem to be working good and after we make the the fish skin covers.
Jermin: I hope that the river will love the gift of a the building, It will be hard work but I think the river will be happy.
Agenda for each week
1.   All the adults work together on the three most important jobs while still doing the smaller things like keeping the village clean. And between the jobs everyone practices there fighting strength against the trees for about 5 songs.
2.   ||
3.   The day is still the same but at sun down the men go to burn the waste pile while the women and children weave the trees hair.
4.   ||
5.   ||
6.   Again every one finishes everything twice as much in order to prepare for next day.
7.   Every one gathers by the river with Wiseman Mernin and sings to the river while Mernin and his two sons make a click sound with the two rocks which also make a mystical spark. Everyone finds this amazing and the beats sound beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:34:05 am by dacmat22 »

click or the egg gets it

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations [Community game]
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 11:29:14 am »
Year 1
Month 4

Village: Modarath (We stop here.)
People: Danrathi (Those who stopped here.)

King(K): Malik
Queen(Q): Inaza
Heirs(H): Hadar(1st son - 16), Tarjo (2nd son - 12), Kari (Daughter - 13)
Huts: 8 (7 Homes + 1 Storage)
Total Population: 27 (22 + 5 Royals)
Men: 8 (K + 7)
Women: 8 (Q + 7)
Boys: 6 (2H + 4)
Girls: 5 (1H + 4)

The King goes out to the village center to wait for the villagers to gather.  He is surprised, and more than a little proud of them, to find they have already gathered there.

"Good morning my fellow Danrathi.  Are you ready to listen to what the Spirits require of you?"

As one the crowd replies, "We are ready to hear the Will of the Spirits."

The King smiles, not because they claim they are ready, but because if they truly were ready to hear, he would not need to have to relay the message to them.

"To begin, all have been pondering the strange events in the forest: the pillars of dark clouds rising from it, the odd smells on the wind, and - most curious - the glow on some nights as if the Lightbringer where rising there.  I have pondered it much, but the Spirits have not yet revealed its mystery to me.  I can only suggest we avoid going into the forest on such days until the nature of the mystery can be discerned.  Perhaps, we will venture into it on a day after such an event to view its aftermath, but as of now the Spirits have no requirement for us to do so.

To the matter of tasks and labors, the Spirits have given new tasks to labors and made some tasks labors of their own.  They have also revealed a gift we already had and a mystery to be labored.

The task of teaching remains unchanged.  The Spirits congratulate us on always performing this task with our full effort and treating it as the solemn duty it is.

The task of fishing is still to be done by 2 men, 2 women, and Hadar.  For 10 days you shall fish in the northern region to catch as many of the orange tinted fish as possible, so we may discern if they have a mystery.  However, be careful not to endanger yourselves in the fast currents or near the waterfalls.  After that you will begin fishing in the middle area of the river.  While there pay close attention to all the animals, so you can describe them and we may know what they are or name them.  Hadar will continue pondering his mysteries and labors.

The task of hut building and maintenance have changed and been separated based on the pondering of the tasks by Queen Inaza and the mysteries revealed to her by the Spirits.

The task of hut building is to be done by 2 men and 2 women.  This month they only need to finish the hut that has barely been started upon.  However, the following changes must be done in its construction.  The mud of the hut shall be packed as firmly as possible and instead of a reed roof, it shall have a tightly packed roof of branches.  This hut shall be a test to see if branches make a better roof than reeds.  If they finish with this task before the next cycle, they shall gather branches.

The task of maintenance shall be done by 1 man and 1 woman.  The task of maintenance has not been being done properly due to it being done after that of building.  Now it shall be occurring at the same time.  Starting with the reed roofs that are smelly and discolored replace the reeds of the roofs.  Do not have the roof reeds be a ramshackle piles any longer, but have them be well ordered so no rain water will pool in them and they would appear to form a point like a spear on the roof.  Despose of the old roofs in the refuse pile stirring them in with spears to mix them into the rotting fish and dirt.  This will hopeful reduce the smell of rotting fish and the number of scavengers that prowl about it at night.  If all this is done before the next cycle arrives, collect reeds.

There are 2 more tasks, but first I will explain the reasons for the tasks.  As you know, I have been pondering the Mystery of Rubbing and Scraping.  I have uncovered an important gift and revealed a deeper mystery.

The gift is that of Shaping.  When rubbing and scraping two things together, I would notice small bits of one or both things coming off them.  It is like splinters when making spears, but it makes much smaller pieces of material, like onto dust.  The rougher the object, or sharper its edge, the more that could be removed with each pass of the object on the other.  I realized with enough time and effort I should be able to reshape the object to my liking by removing unwanted parts.  I then realized we already reshape many things.  We change mud to huts, reeds to roofs and floors, and sticks to spears.  It is the gift from the Spirits to be able to change things into other things more useful; only limited by their nature, the ability to ponder uses for them, and how much effort put forth doing so.  Considering, hard objects with sharp edges make the best sharpeners we've discovered so far, we should attempt to find a way to sharpen one rock with another.  Knowing this will help to make all future tasks easier.  This task will go to Queen Inaza, because I know she ponders soundly and that trait will be necessary for success at this task.

The deeper mystery is that of the sparks.  When scraping wood upon wood and reed, I have seen small motes of orange light leap off it.  I call them sparks.  I have begun pondering what they are what they can do.  I have decided to dig a pit that is 1 pace by 1 pace and as deep as half-an-arm's span.  I will do this in the hopes of containing the Spirit's Mystery should it become unruly and to block the sparks from strong winds, which make them disappear.  In the pit I will place different materials: rock, bone, wood, reeds, bark, leaves, and grass and expose them, in turn, to the sparks and see what transpires.   If anything unexpected happens, I will attempt to repeat it to make sure I have uncovered that part of the mystery. 

Now onto other matters.

When traveling from the village to some other place, plan ahead so that the route you take there and the route you return by are different.  Why should you do this?  Should you be seen by a bandit, who decides to call together his horde so they may lie in wait for your return, they will be be waiting for nothing.  Obviously, you should choose the longer of the two routes when you are unburdened by loads, but if planned properly the distance travelled will not be greatly different, just the scenery.

On the matter of friendly strangers.  We will any friendly strangers, that meet the requirements, the chance to join our great city and stop here as well.  They will need to be able to communicate will us in our tongue, be willing to work hard performing the labors of the Spirits, and they must be willing to follow the Will of the Spirits just as the rest of us do.  Should they choose to stay they must build huts and will be tasked with finding edible plants and roots in the forest.  They will not be given spears until such a time as they have proven they are worth to be called Danrathi.  However, their children we will treat like our own in all matters.

Finally, many have wondered what it is like to commune with the Spirits.  I tell you the truth, to see a problem no one else does and overcome it is to commune with the Spirits.  To notice a mystery no one else notices and solve it is to commune with the Spirits.  To worry about the well fair of others, more than yourself is to commune with the Spirits.  The Spirits are always speaking to us, but few ever truly really listen.

To our labors, for to find joy in them is also to commune with the Spirits.

Recap:
Tasks:
2 people teach.

4 people plus Hadar fish.  Fish for the first 10 days for orange tinted fish in the north, being sure they don't fall off a waterfall or anything stupid.   (Note: This assumes they're larger than goldfish.  The only wild orange tinted fish I know are carp, which are worth investigating.  Otherwise, fish the middle part the whole 30 days.)  Next 20 days in the calm middle part, paying close attention to what animals are there, at least enough where I'll get a clue as to what they are.  Hadar continues thinking about spears.

4 people finish the unfinished hut.  They take extra care to pack the mud tight and will use branches instead of reeds for the roof.  This will be a "test hut" to see if branches make good roofs.  If any time left after that, they gather more branches.

2 people perform maintenance on the reed roofs, starting with the smellest.  They try to bring the roof to a point, instead of it being a random pile.  Water should run off this more easily.  Then they mix the used reeds into the refuse pile.  The smell of rotting reeds may deter scavengers.  Any time left gather more reeds.

Queen Inaza will rub, scrap, and strike rocks together until she can figure out how to use one rock to sharpen another.  Then repeat as many times as possible.

King Malik will dig a small pit and put different substances in it - one at a time - and expose them to the sparks he can make to see what happens.  If anything interesting happens, he will repeat it until he's sure he can do it when he wants to and teach others how to do it.

General Orders:
When going to and from some place outside of the village.  Come back a different way than you went.  This reduces your chance of being ambushed. 
If we met some friendly nomads, we will invite them to join our tribe.  Their first tasks will be to build huts and find edible plants/roots in the woods.  They will not be given spears until they've proven themselves.
Realizing what your problems are and working to overcome them is a way of communing with the Spirits. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:33:27 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 03:23:17 am »
Book of Razon (Pop. 21)

Entry 4: 4th month of the 1st year

Supreme Overlord:
Sev

Climbing upon his grand speaching rock, Sev once again looked out over the tribe.  "Good people of Razon!  This past month, we gained a great victory against fire.  We succesfully captured it withing our new fire house, but due to unforseen complication, it escaped.  Do not despare, for we have learnt much about our adversary though this, and I have no doubt, that next time, we will succeed in bringing fire under our control.  We must cut holes around the top of the walls of the hut. I'm we all saw how the breath of the fire quickly filled the hut before rushing out the door into the sky.  This time, it will not be allowed to fill and will escape out though these vents, while at the same time still being sheltered from the rain.  Also, we all noticed how it died once its sustinance ran out.  This will have to be avoided in the future if we hope to keep fire with us at all times.  Hence, we must create a stockpile of wood to keep it fed.  This wood must remain dry at all times to remain apeasing to fire.  As before we shall go out and capture fire the next time it appears, and this time, we will succeed!"

"Also, hut construction will continue as before.  I will lead the project, and I want the children of the tribe to assist the rest of us from time to time.  By doing so, not only will the construction be swiftened, but they will learn how to build the huts, which will be important once they are grown.  I would like it if our next hut is used exclusivly for storage.  It will be in here that we will keep wood for the fire, among other things.  Apart from that, all shall continue as is.  Hunters shall hunt, maintainers shall see to the upkeep of the city, and all shall gather resources when they have the time.  But do not forget to enjoy yourselves at the same time.  A happy city is a productive city, and I do not want to see anyonce displeased.  Remember, I am always open to you.  If you have a problem, do not hesitate to come to me with it, for that is what I am here for.  I feel that the comming moon will bring great success for our grand city, and I look forward with baited breath to speak to you all again when the time comes."

Recap time!
  • Build vents in fire hut
  • Get some wood together for the fire
  • Next hut constructed will be used exclusivley for storage
  • Children will assit from time to time with construction to learn how it is done
  • Other jobs continue as normal
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:46:37 am by martyk »
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 01:31:39 pm »
Another cycle, with a more stable temperature, but a hotter one as well, has started. The last one went by with only small wild fires, but this one comes with the depressed promise of greater ones, possibly without rain to weaken them. It will soon be to hot to travel at all, but bandits are still a threat for a while, especially when the word about setteled villages are starting to spread. What will the hot summer lead to? Only time will tell.

Year: 1
Month: 5
@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 5)
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »
Great person emerges!

The man known as N'reil, living in the village of Scorge has proved to be a great storyteller and singer. His tales are not only interesting, they also have a message that leaves the listeners with something to think about. One of his stories has turned into something of a classic in Scorge, and it starts out like this;

"So was it arranged, that the many stars were small and without any greater power, and the big sun was the ruler of the skies. Allways in the shadow of the greater light the spites of the stars were left. They shared their concern with the spirits of the earth, and they told them that if they united against the sun they would be stronger. So they did, all stars grouped together and formed a light greater than the sun and challanged it to a duell. The duell was won by the stars and the sun was repelled into darkness. The earth was covered in darkness for many days, many men thought that this was the death of everything they knew, but the stars soon realised their misstake."

The story ends with the spites of the stars visiting the darkness spirit to whom they sent the sun, and they agree that they all shall split up into smaller lights again, except for some that form the light known as the moon, who shall act as a ballancing light to the suns mighty power.

N'reils stories about the spirits and the nature and his touching song makes the people of Scorge happier temporarily and increases the chances of cultural and religous discoveries.

((He is painted in dye from berries and wears a "headband" of fish skin, something which is very practical since it keeps the hair out of the persons eyes.))
@davidramnero

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 11:20:44 pm »
Year 1
Month 5

Huts: 9 (8 Homes + 1 Storage)
Total Population: 30 (25 + 5 Royals)
Men: 9 (K + 8 )
Women: 9 (Q + 8 )
Boys: 6 (2H + 4 )
Girls: 6 (1H + 5 )

As Tarjo sat listening to his father, his attention drifted in and out.  As a child he was not much concerned with the tasks the adults were given, or how many should labor at one thing and for how long.  He did, however, like to listen to his father speak of pondering, for Tarjo pondered many things in his head as well.  He pondered how they would one day move the big rock, or things that is father had told him should be waited to ponder: where do the Lightbringer and Nightstone go in their travels, why do seasons change, why are there even seasons, where do the birds go in the spring and how do they take flight, and why are things the way they are instead of some other way?  All these mysteries filled Tarjo's mind, along with many others, and one day he promised himself he would try to answer them.

Recap:
Tasks:
2 people teach.

4 people plus Hadar fish.  For the first 15 days fish for orange fish in the north.  The next 15 fish in the middle.  Try to catch some of the green fish that are there, along with the orange and any others.  Hadar will try to make a spear that resembles the talons of an eagle.

2 people perform maintenance on the reed roofs.  They will replace the smelly reeds in the new fashion of the pointed reed roof.  Any time left gather more reeds.

2 people will gather tree branches and bones from the forest.  Keep an eye out for anything interesting, wheter an animal or plant.

2 people will gather rocks and stones from the forest for 15 days and from around the middle river for the next 15.  Be sure to look for more of the hard rock that shapes well, that Queen Inaza discovered.

2 people plus Queen Inaza continue working on sharpening stones and experimenting on what they can be used for: seeing if they can sharpen spears, shape bones, and cut up fish being among the first things they try.

King Malik will continue working with the fire in the pit.  He will see what happens when other things are exposed to it or near it; like spears, rocks, mud, and fish for example.  He will also ponder the uses of the black substance that remains after the fire ends.

General Orders:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:35:28 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 5)
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 01:09:26 am »
Year 1
Month 5

Population: 24

Nurses: Lani, 2 Females
Gatherers: 4 Females
Cleaners: 1 Male
Repairers 1 Male
Builders: 2 Males
Crafters: 2 Males
Inventor Kekoa
Children: 8

The former explorer handed over the to Keli'i for inspectation. Keli'i was most impressed by him. He had potential for a son in-law. So Keli'i arranged for them to marry. The former explores name was Kekoa, which means "Brave", and he was indeed brave. Nani was not as happy that her marriage would be arranged for her but she respected her father's wishes.

Image By Huckbuck

The ceremony was held on the 1st rest day by the river. Keli'i being he Chieftain ran the ceremony. They were both submerged themselves into the river to clean their spirits and then they each held a reed. The reed was made into a loop with the other other thus symbolizing their uniting. They were given the most ripe fruits and the best looking roots. After the ceremony everyone danced and singed. Meanwhile the new couple were were allowed to have an entire mud house to themselves for the night in hopes they would get a grandchild within a few months.

The village more or less did the same as they always did. Another female was added to gatherers and another child joined the nurses. One of males builders left the other builders to become a repairer full time. Keli'i took less of a role as inventor and focus more on civic duties such as settling arguments, keeping the peace and deciding the laws.

The crafter were ordered to research more with the spears and the rock that seems to sharpen it better than wood. They now tested out diffrent kinds of rocks to see which is better for crafting. They tested its shape, color, hardness, weight, texture, sharpness and even taste.

Keli'i kept the best of the spears they made last month as a symbol of his leadership. The rest were distributed among the tribe. They would only take a spear with them if they were leaving the village. This is so if they encounter any bandits or wild animals they could defend themselves. Thus the gatherers and builders were the main ones to take the spears since the nurses and cleaner stayed in the village.

A special new job was created now that they had wooden spears. Kekoa would go out to test the spears and find new uses for them. For instance would they be of use gathering fruit? at the river? for celebration? He would test things out and report back to both Keli'i and the crafters. He would tell them what he discovered and let them know what he needed. For instance if he tries to use stab something with the spear and it breaks he would ask them to make him a stronger spear.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:33:58 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 04:59:30 pm »
Population: 24

I came out of my home knowing that the months to come would be one of the more difficult ones and that change is needed in order to expand. “Come hither good people of the village Scorge. Let us rejoice the facts of our every growing village. It seems that the bandits keep coming closer and closer to our village so we must stand our ground. I have consulted with the river and it has ask told me we must make a wall, but the wall will not only be made out of wood but also mud.” Then a man claims “we can’t make a wall with mud because the structure will be week and slippery.” I then reply “have you not noticed that the mud dries and hardens. The sticks will help it stay structured while the mud will give it strength. There also seems to be matters of too much work. For this I will assign jobs to each person (look at job recap to see job list). We also have a great story teller and singer. Come up here N'reil. N’reil will be taking my spot in teaching the children to sing. I will be no longer in charge of praying with them. Instead I will be looking over everyone else and keep constant check on supplies. And also none of you seemed to know what I meant when I said burn and that meant to crash two rocks together to make a spark which would make the waste pile go away. I would like to do this outside of the wall so the buildings won’t burn. And weaving, I thought my wife would explain, is to grab the tree hair and twist a few together. This will then makes a thicker hair. Oh and I almost forgot to say to leave an area on the wall open so people may come in and out as they please except for the children who stay here and bandits who stay out.     
Private thoughts
None today.

Agenda for each week
1.   Everyone does their tasks.
2.   ||
3.   || + at the end of the day all the men burn the waste pile and all the women and children weave trees hair.
4.   ||
5.   ||
6.   Again every one finishes everything twice as much in order to prepare for next day.
7.   Every one gathers by the river with Wiseman Mernin and sings to the river while Mernin and his two sons make a click sound with the two rocks which also make a mystical spark. Everyone finds this amazing and the beats sound beautiful. They also have N’reil telling great mystical stories and singing wonderful songs.
Job list.
Bodyguards/fishing: 5 men. Guard the village from bandits and if it ever happens each other. They’re also the fishers since they practice on them anyway.
Gathers: 4 women and Shalbee. Gather the berries and roots plus the mud, wood, rocks and water.
Builders: 3 men 2 women and Jermin. They will be building up the wall except jermin who is working on the temple hut.
Prayers: all the children who sing to the river.
Storyteller/singer/teacher singer: N’reil will be doing this job. He will sing to the tribe with the children on the 7th day and tell stories on the pile burning day. He will also have 2 assisting women to help keep control of the children.
Maker of things: Ferilin will be the one who will try to find better ways to make the living a bit easier.
Wiseman: Mernin keeps track of every one to make sure they are working. He also keeps track of the amount of supplies to make sure there is enough.
Burners: all of the older men.
Weavers: all the women and children.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:23:14 am by dacmat22 »

click or the egg gets it

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 08:21:02 am »
Book of Razon (Pop. 24)

Entry 5: 5th month of the 1st year

Supreme Overlord:
Sev

"Good people of Razon!" Sev called out over the gathered crowd, "This past moon, we have struck a great victory against fire.  It now resides within its hut, and while it still demands much care in order to stay alive, its power is now at our disposal.  Each day, we shall have one person tend to the fire, while a child assists so as to also learn of it.  Two others will gather fuel for the fire.  These jobs will cycle daily, so that all may have a chance to work with the fire, and learn from it.  If you do learn something important from it, I expect you to share it with the rest of the city, so that all may share in your knowledge.  I encourage you to experiment with the fire and try new things, so that we may come closer to unlocking its grand potential.  Be careful though, for we all know the damage fire can do when unchecked.  I encourage this sort of experimentation in all of our everyday lives.  We must learn if we are to grow as a people, and although mistakes will occur, the gain in the end will far outweigh any negativity."

"Other work will go on as usual.  I shall continue work on the huts with some others and ask that the children also assist from time to time.  We will challenge old designs, find new ways of building the huts so that they are larger, safer and more luxurious.  This is what we all must do in all our fields of work.  Remeber though to make time for yourself as well.  Leisure is important and I would not dare rob you of that precious comodity.  We have come so far thanks to all of your hard work, and I commend you.  The conquering of fire is just another of the many great things will have, and still will accomplish.  We must always work towards that future.  I promise you, our potential is unlimted.  One day, the stars themselves will bow to our eternal glory, as we watch over our world with benevolence, and know that we are unrivaled in all of creation."

Job List!  Yay!

- Hunting: Ruhn + 2 men
- Town maintanance: Kierra + 2 women
- Hut construction: Sev + 2 men
- Fire maintanence: 1, various
- Supply gathering: 3, various
- Supply gathering (for fire): 2, various
- Children will assist where they can in all jobs.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 02:20:28 pm »
The hottest period of the year is here, according to the elders it hasn't been this hot for half a lifetime of years. The many wild fires have caused problems in some areas, but the villages laying close to water haven't had any trouble. One tribe that had temporarily settled for the summer decided that the life in a village was better than a traveling life, and so another tribe is setteled, a civilization is founded, a civliziation ready to tell its tale.

Year: 1
Month: 6
@davidramnero

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 6)
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 04:17:48 pm »
Village: Wesich
Leader: Hsian
Leaderess: Jisa
Son: Aliore
Daughter: Jasa
Pop: 22, 6 male, 6 female, 6 children, 4 royals

Codex of Hsian

Hsian looked out over the crowd of people in front of him. All were gathered around in a state of both excitement and confusion. Hushed whispers rippled through the crowd. Why were we still here? Why was the great Hsian speaking to all of us? Why was the meeting in the middle of the day instead of their usual nighttime? Hsian walked over to the center of the crowd and ordered everyone around him to sit down. They all promptly obliged and soon a circle of villagers had formed around it's leader. He raised his hands to silence them and then began to speak

"My fellow Kinsman" said Hsian, using his most powerful and authoritative voice. "For many sunrises and sunsets we have walked this great world. We have eaten, made love, grown close, and done many other things in the name of simple survival. But tonight, tonight is the night where we stop surviving and start living. For last night, a great spirit came to me and extended his great wisdom and guidance into my mind. He said that we must stop here, that this sacred ground will provide all that we need to live. It is here, on this very land, that we shall make our home. Now, we have much work to do and so little time to do it."

"You two" said Hsian, pointing to three men at the top of the circle "You remember the great red beast we passed three sunrises back? I want you to go with me and try to tame this. We shall bring it back to the village, as it's color is worthy of honoring the great spirit."

"And you three men and Aliore" said Hsian, pointing to three men and his son at the bottom of the circle "You shall be hunters, warriors! You shall go and gather food with your spears and cunning. Bring down great boars and many rabbits, as you shall help feed our people. Aliore shall be your leader for now, unless he should do something foolish or selfish."

He glared for a second at his son before turning his attention back to the crowd.

"And to the women" said Hsian pointing to the women "Three of you shall go down to the river and bring us back fish. I do not know how you shall do such a task, but am sure that the great spirit will inspire you! Two other women, my wife, and the children shall have the important task of gathering stones, mud, and sticks from the river bank. Any sticks and mud you gather will put in a pile in one of the huts for safe keeping. Any stones you gather shall but put in a pile where I now stand, so we can remember this great moment in our history."

"And last but not least" said Hsian pointing to a man and a women holding hands "I know that you two are in love, the great spirit has told me so. Therefore, you two shall go to the largest hut and make love from sunrise to sundown. You shall do this day after day until you are with child. When this happens, you shall switch out with another couple and they shall make love and be with child. The great spirit loves his children and with every new child brought into the world, his power grows and prospers."

The couple faces were red beyond fire by now and the man slowly drew his legs up to his chest. Hsian turned his attention back to the crowd as a whole.

"And this is how we shall do things for the month, until the great spirit orders changes be had! All of your tasks, with the exception of the mine and the beast tamers, shall end everyday at sundown. When the sun finally goes down from the sky and moon begins to rise we shall stop our tasks, eat what food we have gathered, pray to the great spirit, and then go to rest. This is what the great spirit wills our lives to be and since his wisdom is infinite and his power ultimate, we must obey or face hist total wrath. Now then, this will all be for tomorrow for today we rest and celebrate. Now, I shall all lead you in the prayer of the Great Spirit, as shown by his greatness himself!"

At once Hsian put his fists together and linked them with his fingers and began to chant. He then began to move his arms in a sort of slow wave, as if the energy of the gods himself was flowing through his body. At once nearly everyone followed suit, with the exception of the couple, Wrightus and Nasui, who had decided to start their assigned task a little earlier than the rest. The prayer continued nearly all afternoon, only stopping for a few minutes for everyone to eat and catch their breathes. At sundown, everyone went to sleep, with the exception of Hsian and Jisa, who went down to the nearby river and made love into the wee hours of the morning.

Jobs:

Hunting: 3 males and Aliore, 4 overall
"Taming the great red beast" (aka Fire gathering): 2 males and Hsian, 3 overall
Fishing: 3 women, 3 overall
Gathering: 2 woman, Jisa, 6 children, and Jasa, 10 overall
Breeding (ordered): 1 man and 1 woman, 2 overall
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:32:40 pm by Andrew Ryan »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 04:53:19 pm »
Year 1
Month 6

Huts: 9 (8 Homes + 1 Storage)
Total Population: 34 (29 + 5 Royals)
Men: 11 (K + 10 )
Women: 11 (Q + 10 )
Boys: 6 (2H + 4 )
Girls: 6 (1H + 5 )

On the appointed day, King Malik went before his people and began speaking.

"This month the Spirits wish us to get our village ready to grow and to explain the mysteries we have been working on.

The tasks this month will be as follows:

Two, a man and woman, shall teach.

3 men and 3 woman plus Hadar shall fish.  They will fish whereever they will catch more fish, alternating between the North and Middle regions as deemed necessary by Hadar.  Hadar will continue pondering his own mystery and the mystery of fish.

5 men and 5 woman will build huts.  It is good that there are plenty of huts, so none go without, even those not yet born.  Build them sturdy for one day we may place branch roofs upon them, but for now only the pointed reed roofs shall go on them.  Do not forget the fish pits and reed floors that go within them.  We shall plan their placing so the village will be more orderly, for this is not the maze of the woods.

A man and a woman and Queen Inaza shall continue their labor with the mystery of stone.  Queen Inaza has found a way to sharpen stone so it can be useful to do work.  Rock can shape just about anything but other rocks.  Hopefully by the next moon all adults will have a sharp stone tool to use in their labors.  All should be thinking of different shapes the sharp part, that cuts, and blunt part, that we hold, should be given to do different labors.  Will a stone that breaks a branch for you take the same shape that cuts up fish for the fish pit or the shape best used to sharpen a spear?  I believe this will not be the case once we have further solved the mystery of sharp stone.

Last month, I was quiet as to my labor for I had found something very interesting to be truly pondered.  The sparks I spoke of two months ago when combined with dry grass and reeds produces the glowing eater of the forest we have come to know -- fire.  I see worry on some of your faces - fear not, for we shall overcome its mystery like all others before us.  I have been making it safely in a pit.  I can call it forth with the sparks and feed it with wood.  While it poses some danger, as long as it is given the proper respect that all powers of spirits should be given, it should not be able to do us harm.  Do not touch it with your flesh.  Do not let it leave the pit.  Be vigilant for sparks floating out of the pit to spawn fire elsewhere.  I have found water or handfuls of dirt are able to dispel it should it try to leave its pit.  When it is done eating wood, it leaves various dusts - from light grey to black depending on the wood it consumed and the sized it reached - as its waste.  I call this waste 'ash' for it 'remains.'  As you know, a man recently found some of this in the woods and burnt himself with it, it should be given time to cool or doused with water before handling it.  I've found ash can be used to apply its color to other things, but as yet, I have not thought of a reason to do so.  Others should ponder a use for this ability.  Another thing I intend to ponder is if there are different responses between fire and glowing ashes as other things are exposed to them.  The most important discovery so far, however, is how fire changes the nature of fish.  Knowing that fire burns flesh, I exposed some fish flesh to it to determine why this happens.  I did not figure out why, but something interesting did happen.  When the outer layer of fish was burned up, I quickly retrieved it with my spear - for a spear that lingers in flame will burn - and after waiting for it to cool, broke it open.  Inside the burnt husk the texture and color of the fish had changed and it had taken on a pleasant aroma.  Being very cautious, I tasted the smallest portion of it to see if it was still fit to eat.  Not only was it still fit to eat - it tasted very good!  While there are still many things I wish to ponder with the help of fire, trying to find a way to change the nature of fish without having to turn so much of it into ash, will be my first priority.

While on the subject of fish, let it be known, henceforth when separating the edible and inedible parts of fish, you will use a sharp stone tool to do so.  Currently there are not many of them and you will have to share and take turns, but as the month progresses, there should be at least one for all the families, if not one per adult as is our goal.  Try to perfect the technique of separating fish as to be quick and not waste any fish flesh.  Be sure to take note of any improvements that could be made to the tool for this task.

On the subject of tools -even though I repeat myself- try to think of any task that could be made easier by using a sharp tool to perform it.  Then ponder the shape it should take that would be best to do it.  Tell Queen Inaza nightly of any thoughts you have on this matter, do not wait until it is your day to labor with stone to do so.

Before we begin our labors, I am proud to report that another mystery of the spear has been revealed by my son Hadar.  Come forth and share this mystery with us."

Hadar came forward, this time not as nervous as the last, for he new he had pondered correctly.

Holding forward the spear he crafted, so all could view it, he spoke.

Image by Huckbuck

"While fishing by the river, I watched all the creatures that ate fish, waiting for one whose traits could be added to the mighty spear totem.  I saw large fish eat small fish and many different types of the large mouse-like creatures take fish from the river to eat, but I saw none that that I thought would add to the power of the spear.  Then last month, I saw an eagle perched near the middle river.  Many times before had I seen an eagle take a rabbit on the run and I thought I knew it was not the creature to add to a fishing spear, for I did not wish to make the same mistake I had made before with the wolf -- for I tell you now, though I should have told you before, wolffangs will be better for hunting large game and fending off bandits than they will be for fishing.  But, as I fished there, the eagle took flight.  I looked around to see what rabbit it was about to catch, but it was coming toward me; standing there in the river.  I thought it was going to pass over to the other side, but it did not.  It swooped down toward me, screeching as it came.  I was startled, thinking it must have mistaken me for a rabbit!  I raised my spear in defense, but it meant me no harm, for it snatched a fish from the river just beside me with its mighty claws and flew back to its tree to eat it.  As I stood there in awe of its majesty, I knew I must find a way to add the power of its claws to a spear.

First, I had to find a branch that already had the nature of an eagle's claw in its form - truly this was the hardest part of the task.  The rest was simple.  I just used one of the sharp shards my mother had formed while pondering shaping stone to give the branch its final shape.  Now that she has made stone tools, this part of the task should be even easier.  It requires only a little bit more effort to use and fish rarely get off it.  To use it properly just raise it above your head like so and thrust downward at the fish."

Hadar made the proper motions quickly and efficiently.  All watching became glad they were not fish.  The motions only took a little more effort than using a normal spear, because normally they would only bring their spears up to their shoulders before striking.

Hadar, thinking he was done speaking, looked at his father.  King Malik seemed to be prodding Hadar with his eyes to continue.  Hadar then realized what he must do.

"This spear shall be know as Eagle-Claw in honor of the eagle whose Spirit it invokes; and all spears made like it, even as its mystery is continued to be refined, shall be know as eagleclaw spears.  When we fish with these, my worry that any Danrathi will go hungry is greatly lessened.  When the Spirits next command us to build more spears, I'm sure many shall be in the form of this mighty totem," Hadar intoned, trying to sound like his father.

A great cheer came up from the crowd for Hadar and Eagle-Claw and it continued for some time.  Hadar did not care for the cheers of the crowd, for when he gazed at his father, he was smiling and that was reward enough for Hadar.

When the crowd finally grew silent, all eyes fell on King Malik.  Once again Hadar felt the secret prodding of his father's eyes upon him.

"Why do we wait?  To our labors!" Hadar cried out.

"Indeed," said King Malik with an amused smile.
.   .   .   .   .   .   .

Young Kari had listened intently to all her father and brother had said.  She felt both her parents and Hadar deserved special gifts for all the hard work and pondering they did for the village.  She decided to try to make them all something special by next month's task day.  She only wondered with what she could make something in secret, what it would be, and if she could make three gifts in time.
.   .   .   .   .   .   .
Tarjo had paid more attention this month than last and he was glad he had.  When he had heard his father speak of ash and its different colors and its ability to transfer those colors to other things, he knew what he would try to do.  He would attempt to draw the Nightstone with ash on the wall next to where he slept.  All he had to do was to wait for some cool ash and he would be ready.  Surely, his father would not deny him the attempt. 

Recap:
2 people teach.

6 people plus Hadar will fish.  Hadar will continue pondering new ways to make spears or catch fish.

10 people will make huts, as many as they can in a month.  Make them extra sturdy like the branch roofed hut, but their roofs will be in the pointy reed style.  Also, the huts' placement will be better planned and not so haphazard. 

2 people plus Queen Inaza will continue working with stone.  They should be trying to figure out what shapes the stones should take to best do different kinds of jobs.

King Malik will continue trying to find different uses for the fire.  Foremost among them, he will try to figure if he can make the rigid, tasty fish meat without having to burn up the outside of a fish piece and then eating the inside of it.  Also, he we try to see if things react differently to hot ashes than they do the fire.

General Orders:
When separating fish parts for your food pits and the waste pile, use the sharp rocks Queen Inaza has made to see if it makes the task easier. 

Try to think of any other use sharp edges could be used for and what shape they should take that would be best for that use.

Bonus activities (Because kids doing silly things seems fun and somehow historically accurate.) :
Kari is going to start playing with her hair and fishbones trying to make gifts.

Tarjo wants to draw the full moon with ash on his section of wall.  He will ask his father for some ash to do this.  His father's only demand will to be not to make a mess on the floor.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:54:02 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 6)
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »
Year 1
Month 6

Population: 31 (27 + 4 Royals)
Buildings 8 (7 Homes + 1 Storage)

Inventor: Kekoa
Teachers: Lani, 1 Female
Healer: 2 Females
Gatherers: 6 Females
Cleaners: 2 Males
Repairers 1 Male
Builders: 2 Males
Crafters 2 Males
Hunters: 1 Male
Fishermen 1 Male
Children: 9

As the tribe grows and new technologies are discovered new jobs have opened up. The 4 royals gather together to discuss the state of the tribe. Each bring a diffrent view of what the tribe needs. Lani brings to the table the needs of the children and those who are hurt or sick. Keli’i brings to the table the problems of the working laboring men and women. Nani brings the needs of the spirits and the ancestors. While Kekoa brings the needs of the creative, innovative and curious. Between them they shape the tribes path be it humanitarian, productive, spiritual or scientific.

Humanitarian

- Keli’i must settle disputes, keep the peace and decide the tasks of the month.

- Teachers are to care and tech the children. They must tech them about tribal traditions, stories of the past and how to treat others within the tribe.

- Children are to learn from the nurses and respect their elders.

- Healers are to take care of the sick, injured and pregnant. They also must look for ways to better care for their patients.

Production

- Gatherers are to use the spears to help reach fruit they could not get before. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve.

- Hunters are to use spears to hunt creatures in the forest. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve.

- Fishermen are to use spears to hunt creatures along the river. Take note of which spears work better for their task and report back to the crafters on how to improve.

- Cleaners are to bodywaste pit maintained and the village clean of trash. See if spears or carrying straps can help in their daily work.

- Repairers are to keep the mud houses maintained. Use berries and mud dyes to decorate the buildings to make them more appealing. Also test out other objects that could be used to decorate such as sticks, stones, etc.

- Builders are to keep collecting materials using the carrying straps to build mud houses and then to build them. Also try to make them stronger by adding stones, sticks or other materials. See which gives the best results.

- Crafters are to craft spears and carrying straps. They also must listen to those who use their crafted objects and try to improve them according to the feedback.

- All food and supplies are to be stored in a mud hut.

- Nani and Kekoa are to keep trying to have a baby so the royal linage can continue.

Spiritual

- Nani must interpret the spirits and bring up village moral. It is also her job to collect the berries and make death stones. She must also lead marriages and funerals.

- On "Rest Day" everyone must sing, hum, clap and dance for the spirits and ancestors. Also test out diffrent objects to see the sounds they make (such as hitting sticks, reeds or rocks together) to improve the music.

- Marriages are to be held at the rivers edge and now performed by the Shamaness. The couples are to submerge themselves in the water. A reeds are to be held by each and made into a loop with the other other thus symbolizing their uniting The best food are to be given to them and they get a mud hut themselves for the night.  After the ceremony everyone sings and dances.

- Deaths are to be held on the rest day and no celebrations shall occur. Everyone will fast and tell stories about the departed. The family will be given a small red stone (a berry juice covered stone) in honor of the departed.

Scientific

- Kekoa must test out diffrent kinds of rocks to see what they are good for. They test the shape, color, hardness, weight, texture, sharpness and even taste. See if rocks are good for gathering, hunting, fishing, crafting, etc. Try it out in each of the tribal tasks to see which rocks are beneficial. For instance we already know small rocks work well when painted with berry juice for the death ceremony.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:14:12 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »
Population: 27

Instead of waking everyone up as I usually do I decided that I would pray to the river and let it cool me down. I walked back up to the village and awakened every one. “This week has been very productive and we have gotten our wall so that it may protect us all.

(image by huckbuck)
The river is pleased to know that we are safe. The time has come that we advance our building so they may become stronger. 3 of the previous builders will be chosen to take on the task of improving the structures so they may hold more people. Life will almost go on as usual for everyone except for me and Ferilin who will be both learning more about the mystical sparks and how we will dispose of the waste pile so we won’t have to deal with scavangers. So let our village grow larger.”     
Agenda for each week
1.   Everyone does their tasks.
2.   ||
3.   ||
4.   ||
5.   ||
6.   Again every one finishes everything twice as much in order to prepare for next day.
7.   Every one gathers by the river with Wiseman Mernin and sings to the river while Mernin and his two sons make a click sound with the two rocks which also make a mystical spark. Everyone finds this amazing and the beats sound beautiful. They also have N’reil telling great mystical stories and singing wonderful songs.
Job list.
Bodyguards/fishing: 5 men. Protecting the village from unwanted bandits.
Gathers: 5 women and Shalbee. They will be more focused on the supplies that the architects need but also gathering berries, water and roots. 
Builders: 2 men 1 women and Jermin. They will be working on more huts and still be keeping the older huts in good shape. Jermin is working on the temple hut.
Prayers: all the children who sing to the river.
Storyteller/singer/teacher singer: N’reil will be doing this job. He will sing to the tribe with the children on the 7th day and tell stories on the pile burning day. He will also have 2 assisting women to help keep control of the children.
Inventor: Ferilin will be the one who will try to find better ways to make the living a bit easier.
Wiseman: Mernin keeps track of every one to make sure they are working. He also keeps track of the amount of supplies to make sure there is enough.
Architects: 2 men 1 women. these people will be incharge of improving the building of the village.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:38:25 pm by dacmat22 »

click or the egg gets it