Author Topic: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 2 Month: 8)  (Read 26687 times)

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 2 Month: 8)
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:09 am »

The sun rises and shine upon the the green forests and the high mountains. The sun shine upon the eagle, flying high in the sky, spying for rabbits. But the sun also shile upon the men and women working hard with building small villages for them were they hope to prosper more than they have done before, when they were nomads. These scattered villages might not be much to the eye at the moment, but each one of them has its chance to expand and prosper and tell the true tale of a civilization.

Year: 1
Month: 1

History;

Year 1

Month 1
Month 2
Month 3
Month 4
Month 5
Month 6
Month 7
Month 8
Month 9
Month 10
Month 11
Month 12

Year 2

Month 1
Month 2
Month 3
Month 4
Month 5
Month 6
Month 7
Month 8
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:56:29 am by Huckbuck »

@davidramnero

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations [Community game]
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:45:27 pm »
Steping up upon my mighty podium rock, I look out across my wide domain, all five houses of it.  With a grin I smile unto my people bellow, and call out to them.

"Good people of the grand city of Razon, I your fearless leader Sev, call for your attention.  Much has been achieved here with our hard work and diligence.  We stand proudly as the greatest in all the land.  But we cannot grow slothful, not when there is so much we can be.  For long we have hunted the puny rabbit, but we must see that that is not all that is out there.  We have all see the larger beasts of the plains and forests.  I ask you, what is to stop us from taking them for our own?  With our powerful spears and superior thinkering, nothing can stop us.  So go forth might hunters, with only determination in your hearts, and bring us all a feast worthy of our greatness!"

Kingly Diary, Sev's eyes only

- Hunters (Men older than 14) go out hunting to see if they can find something bigger than rabbits.  They are currently equiped with crude spears.
- Women stay.  While doing so they are tasked with maintaining the quality of the huts, fixing things that need fixing.
- I stay as well, in order to do legistlative, important, things, that only I can do because I am our fearless leader.

-By the way!  In case you didn't catch it, my village is named Razon.  I am named Sev.  I did not go over it, but my wife is named Kiera, and my son Ruhn.  My daughter is too young to be of any use so until furthur notice (or when she becomes useful), she will be refered to in my notes as useless git.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:11:31 pm »
Village: Scorge
Wiseman: Mernin
Wisewoman: Shalbee
Older son: Jermin
Youngest son: Ferilin
Population: 17

As I walk out of my home and yell. “Get up you bunch of slackers.” All men and women exit there homes with a smile and gather around me. “Now today we must find food. We will need 6 children to pray to our mighty river for food. We will also need 5 people to gather roots and berries from the powerful forest. I will also need 6 people to help my oldest son ‘Jermin’ improve the buildings. I ‘Mernin’ will be translating what the rivers demands are if it need something more. My wife ‘Shalbee’ shall be leading the gatherers through the forest. My youngest son ‘Ferilin’ will be gathering the water from the mighty river. May the power of the river lead our village ‘Scorge’ to everlasting greatness!”

1.   -All 6 of the children pray to the river with Wiseman Mernin and are also taught of what they will do for when they become older.-3 women and 2 men do the gathering with Wisewoman Shalbee. -3 women and 3 men work on the building with Jermin.- Ferilin gathers the water for the village alone.

2.   ||

3.   ||

4.   ||

5.   ||

6.   Everything is done twice as much except for the praying in which the children help with the gathering of food.

7.   Everyone is given a brake until the evening then every goes to the river with Mernin and has their prayers answered.

8.   Same as day 1.

9.   ||

10.   ||

11.   Same except Mernin starts to carry a stick around the village saying it would help whoever held it to have the river do there biding.

12.   ||

13.   Same as day 6.

14.   Same as day 7.
The next two weeks are the same as the first week.     

click or the egg gets it

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:54:18 am »
Year 1
Month 1

Village: Modarath (We stop here.)
People: Danrathi (Those who stopped here.)

King(K): Malik
Queen(Q): Inaza
Heirs(H): Hadar(1st son - 16), Tarjo (2nd son - 12), Kari (Daughter - 13)
Huts: 4
Total Population: 19
Men: 6 (K + 5)
Women: 6 (Q +5)
Boys: 4 (2H + 2)
Girls: 3 (1H +2)

Speech at the founding of the village:
"This is the place the to which the Spirits have lead us.  Long have we sought a place of plenty and refuge.  We shall run no longer.  We stop here."

Few like King Malik, because he rarely speaks and when he does it is usually a burdensome, cryptic task.  Most think Chief Malik rarely listens to anyone but his wife.  This is not true, for he listens for the Spirits of the Earth and ponders their Mysteries.

Early in morning, just after dawn and everyone has stirred awake.

"Everyone come to me!," echoes through the village.

Very soon after all the villagers have gathered around King Malik.

"Hearken to my words, for there are many labors before us. 

Every day 2 men, a woman, and my son Hadar will go to the river and fish with spears.  All shall have a turn spear fishing, even myself, but Hadar must fish everyday.  This is his Mystery to ponder.

Every day a man and a woman will watch over and teach the children what they know and ponder the Mysteries of the Spirits of the Earth with them, all adults will take this task in turn.  Even on days when the children are allowed to labor with us the chosen teachers of the day must watch and council them and make sure none wander astray.  These two shall always have spears ready to protect the children from beasts and bandits. 

The rest of the village, 3 men and 4 women, will do the labors of the Spirits in the order they have been told to me.

The first task is to travel 150 paces northwest of the village and dig a pit.  It must be as deep as my waist, as broad as my shoulders, and twice as long as I am tall.  We will dig it with our hands and spears.  In this pit is where the waste of our bodies must go.  The dirt from the pit will be piled 20 paces east of it and it shall be where we shall discard food that is no longer fit to eat.  The children shall labor at this task.

The second task is to travel into the forest and gather enough branches and sticks to make all adults in the village 3 spears.  While in the forest, we are to be ever vigilant for beast and bandit, and keeping a watchful eye out for the spoils of the earth: edible plants, game - both large and small - and their bones.  Only with bones shall we return - should they be found - merely noting where and what kind of the others are to be found.  The children shall not labor at this task.

The third task is to turn those branches and sticks into spears.  They must be sharp and sturdy for we already know that our prosperity is represented in their form.  A well crafted spear is a totem of the Spirits.  Ponder this mystery as you form them.  The children shall not labor at this task.

The fourth task is to build 2 more huts for those couples that currently reside with others and repair any damage to the existing huts.  We will journey to the river and collect enough mud and reeds to do so.  We will collect them 500 paces upstream of the fishers of the day.  The children will not journey with us to and from the river.  When working on a hut, the Spirits wish us to sing and be cheerful as we work.  Children will partake in this labor to the best of their ability.  The hand prints of children are a blessing to your home.  Remember that a well made hut is a totem of the Spirits, for it represents our unity and the promise of the future.  Ponder this as you labor at this task.

Those are the tasks currently set before us, but there are still many Mysteries to ponder.  I share one with you now.  Our reed roofs protect our huts by keeping the rain from them.  Is there a way to use reeds to keep the rain away from ourselves?

Now it is time to labor."

With those words King Malik picks up his spear and starts heading toward the northwest, counting paces in his head once he gets past the edge of the village.  He does not speak again to anyone for three days, but he is listening the whole time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:17:14 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:12:40 pm »
At the ocean to the west terrible weather last all month and a lot of things float to the shore all along the west of the continent. This however isn't anything that affect the tribes of this land that have started to maintain themselves as the second month come with a noticeable warmer temperature in some parts, though due to the overall warm climate of the continent it isn't noticed that much with the exception of it being less windy. Most nomads have started to travel the lands again after the windy winter, but some stay were they are as they realised they had a better standard of living when staying at the same place.

Month: 2
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:36:44 am by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 2)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:20:42 pm »
Year 1
Month 2

Village Name: Uli (Means "Blue" in Hawaiian)
Chieftain: Keli’i (Means "Chief" in Hawaiian)
Chieftess: Lani (Mean "Royal" in Hawaiian)
Chief’s Daughter: Nani (Means "Beauty" in Hawaiian)
Population: 18

Keli'i and his family lead through example and winning the public over by showing them that they are willing to do what I necessary to get things done within the tribe. They propose the following a "to do list" of what needs to be done. It is in order of urgency. Thus once one need is met they can can move on to the next, and if a need is not met anymore they go back and make sure its met.

They also are proposing a have a 6 day week in which for the 1st 5 days the whole community works and on the last day they take a break to socialize and relax. Chief Keli’I will take the time to get to know everyone and listen to their needs on this 6th day. This is also time in which to sing songs and tell stories of the previous week. In addition at the end of the month they plan to spend the whole week preparing for a feast where they gather a surplus of food and on the last day of the month celebrate. This is to help bring the tribe together.

Here is the to do list. It some jobs will be done by one group over another.

Food (Females and Children)
Collect as much food as needed. This means collecting edible fruit and and roots. Looks for any new possible food sources while out gathering such as a dead animal or a new plant to eat.

Sanitation (Males)
Use stick to dig a hole away from water and the village so we do not make the village dirty and stinky. If a hole fills up then dig a new one close by and mark it with a rock or stick so not to dig there again.

Exploration (Males)
Explore as far as you can within a days walk. Do this in each direction until the whole area is explored. Take note of what is around and if anything changes or if you find new resources.

Resources (Everyone)
Collect useful natural resources such as reeds, clay, sand, sticks, logs and dry grass. Collect what is needed and if any surplus keep safe in the village for later.

Shelter (Males)
Make sure all shelters are maintained and use collected natural resources to repair them.

Crafting (Everyone)
Experiment with available collected resources to what can be made to help the community. Here are some current needs (also in order of importance) ...

o A better way to carry food. (OOC: Basketry)
o A better way to stay warm at night. (OOC: Firemaking)
o A better way to carry water. (OOC: Pottery)
o A better way to celebrate at the end of each week. (OOC: Instrument Making)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:31:51 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:21:51 pm »
Wiseman: Mernin (38)
Wisewoman: Shalbee (29)
Older son: Jermin (16)
Youngest son: Ferilin (12)
Population: 20

I walk out of my house with my river cane and summon everyone of the town come to the centre. “My fellow village people, the river has spoken to me and has told me that we must unsmellify our village and enlarge it. The river has also told me what we all must do to improve our way of living. My youngest son shall have to create a much better way to carry the water, roots, and berries. My life partner shall be in charge of Identifying good berries and bad berries apart and will also work with the other gatherers to develop an easier way of digging out the roots. My Oldest son will have the great privilege of strengthening our homes and creating a much needed area for storing our material. I will find a better way of disposing our unneeded material and feces. I will keep bringing the children to pray as well. But the river did ask for something weird and that is for me to clap two rocks together while praying with the children.”
Agenda for each week
1.   Every one still has the same jobs but will also be doing what has been told by the river in order to make the village better.
2.   ||
3.   ||
4.   ||
5.   ||
6.   Again every one finishes everything twice as much in order to prepare for next day.
7.   Every one gathers by the river at dusk with Wiseman Mernin and sings to the river while Mernin makes a click sound with the two rocks. They also notice what they call ‘river spirits’ jumping out of the water.       

click or the egg gets it

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:32:05 pm »
Year 1
Month 2

Huts: 4
Total Population: 20 (15 + 5 Royals)
Men: 6 (K + 5)
Women: 6 (Q +5)
Boys: 4 (2H + 2)
Girls: 4 (1H +3)

Many days have passed and much has happened since King Malik last spoke.  Not all the tasks have been completed, but this matters not to the Spirits; as the voice of King Malik breaks the silence of the early morning and the people gather to hear him.

"The Spirits have given us new labors to perform and new mysteries to ponder and even a gift.  I consider us blessed by them.

As you know, one of our number recently died.  His spirit has embarked on the Great Mystery.  Our place is not to ponder what the Great Mystery will be, but to solve the lesser Mysteries all around us as we go about our labors.

The Task of the Embarker to the Earth, a ritual to honor the body of an embarker by giving it to the earth.  We shall mark out an area 1000 paces to the North of the village.  It shall be a square 160 paces to each side.  We will mark the corners with spears driven into the ground, in such a manner the they are straight up and as high as a mans chest.  Henceforth, when a member of the Danrathi embarks on the Great Mystery all of the village will gather and take the body of the embarker to this field and dig a pit 4 paces long and 2 paces wide and as deep as the tallest person.  The body will be gently placed within in it face up, eyes closed, and arms crossed.  The village will then cover the body with the dirt of the pit while singing songs of remembrance.  Then the group will find a large stone and place it over the offering to the earth.  The children will labor in this task.  The Spirits say more shall be added to this task, but what that shall be is a mystery to ponder.

The Gift of Mourning, a ritual to remember the embarker.  After the Task of the Embarker, the family of the embarker shall not task for two days.  On the first day they shall fast together in their hut.  Then on the next day, their friends shall bring food to break their fast and all present will tell stories about the embarker.  This is no task, but a gift.  All who wish may partake in this gift.  Ponder this mystery."

King Malik stops talking and looks around at everyone for minute before continuing.

"On the matter of disputes, you may have disagreements with one another, but they must never grow to the point where they interfere with the performance of tasks.  Anyone with a dispute with another must attempt to resolve it.  Should they not be able to resolve it between themselves, they should agree on a mediator and have that person resolve it.  I, or my Queen Inaza if you prefer, will make ourselves available after evening meal to settle disputes, but you may always choose another if you wish.  But let it be known, any that let a dispute fester until it interferes with the labors of a task will be risking the mediation of the Spirits.  I will not envy the persons involved as I divine the Spirit's will on their petty, mortal squabble.

On the matter of safety and danger, when preforming your labors together be vigilant to watch your surroundings and each other.  You should never venture so far from your work group that you can not see at least one of them.  Going so far that they can not hear you endangers not only yourself, but the well being of the whole village.  All adults must have a spear nearby as they labor, even when using the bodywaste pit.  Should any yell out 'help' all should go at once - ready to help, spear in hand, crying out 'I shall help', so the troubled will know that you have heard them - not just while working, but at any time.  Do not forget the lessons of our forefathers wandering.  Beasts and bandits are still dangers, but we shall overcome them.  Do not forget our unity is our strength.  A Danrathi is never alone.  Keep this mystery in your heart, always.

As to old labors; the task of teaching remains unchanged.

The task of fishing remains unchanged, except for Hadar.  He is to teach those that fish with him how to better use their own spears.  He truly has a gift from the Spirits.  I believe this will help him further ponder his own mystery.

The task of hut building and maintance has changed.  The Spirits require not just two huts, but three and none shall live in the third hut.  Instead, supplies that should not be left outside in the rain shall be kept within it.  As of now, that is unused reeds, wood, and soon grass, but the Spirits promise there shall soon be even more.  And now, not only will the roof be covered in reeds, but the floors on the inside shall receive two well ordered layers of reeds and a layer of dry grass on top of that.  The task of grass gathering shall go to the children and their teachers, while the adult work group goes to and from the river.  The Spirits do not want us to sleep on dirt and dried mud, like beasts in the woods.

After the huts are finished, we are to gather all the stones we can find and place them in a pile 5 paces across until it is a high as my knees, across the path from the supply hut.  Of special interest is the big rock we have been recently been using to sharpen our spears with.  I think it may too big for 7 people to move, but the Spirts say it doesn't have to arrive in the village in one piece.  We can even bash it apart with other stones if we must.  I do not know how we will continue to sharpen spears with it if we break it, but we must obey the Spirits.  Truly, this is a mystery.

I believe this task of stones shall consume much of our time for the near future, but should we finish it before the Spirits speak to me again we will have a celebration and a day of rest.  If the Spirits still have not spoken by then, you may choose to: fish, gather wood and make spears, or contemplate mysteries in the village, but remember you must have someone with you to go to the river or into the woods."

King Malik pauses when he notices some rather strange glances coming from a few members of the village.  Without missing another beat he begins speaking again.

"You wish to know more about the Spirits and their Mysteries," he states while looking at everyone, but at no one in particular.

"The Mysteries of the Spirits of the Earth are all around us.  Everything we see, everything we don't understand, every goal we have, contains a mystery waiting to be solved.  Solving mysteries gives us knowledge and understanding we did not have before.  With this knowledge, we overcome the fear and power of the unknown, for with each mystery solved it loses another span of it stature.  However, I tell you there is no unknown only the Spirits and their Mysteries.  They are the forces at work that make the world the way it is - why the Lightgiver rises in the morning and sets in the evening to places unknown, why the Nightstone fully shines one night only to wane to a dark hidden stone within the time of its cycle, how birds take flight, and fish live underwater but die on land.  These are all Spirits and their Mysteries.  While these are mighty mysteries worthy to be pondered, but I would not dwell on them for to long.  For it is right to ponder the mysteries that dwell around you first and save great mysteries for when one is ready to uncover them.  I tell you the truth, to have solved a Mystery is to be able to call upon that Spirit's power and to do so lightly or with haughtiness will lead to disaster.  Remember my words on this matter.

I will tell you of two mysteries, which of late I have been pondering.

The first mystery pertains to wood.  In the forest, there are many different types of trees; some tall and narrow, others short and stout.  Some have dark wood and others light.  Some have branches that can be bent by the smallest child and yet they snap right back into place when released, as if, they had never moved at all.  Others have stiff branches that will not bend and it takes the strength of many strong men pulling with all their might to have one snap off with a loud crack.  Someone inexperienced in pondering mysteries would wonder about all these things and become overwhelmed.  I, however, have chosen to concrete on but two of wood's mysteries.  First, of all the different types of wood we have used to make spears, which one made the best spears?  Second, overly bendy wood, which we already know not to be good for making spears, what purpose could it we use it for?

The second mystery vexes me even while I sleep; The Mystery of the Warmth of Rubbing and Scrapping.  When we first started sharpening spears by rubbing them together, I touched the tip of a freshly sharpened spear and thought I have pierced myself do to a sudden pain in my finger, but I had not.  The tip of the spear was hot to the touch.  Hotter than if it had sat out in the light of a summer day.  I would come to notice the heat increased with the vigor of the sharpening, but I could not solve the riddle so I put it out of my mind.  Of late, when we began using the large sharpening rock, I happened to place my hand on its sharp edge and noticed that it was slightly warmer than the rest of it.  I increased my speed of sharping, dispite the risk of falling, and found that spot on the rock got warmer the faster I scrapped.  I may be wrong, but it would seem things that rub or scrap each other get warmer.  Rub your hands together as hard and fast as you can and you will feel the truth of my words.  I can feel there is even more to this mystery and I vow to seek its answer."

King Malik looks at the assembled villagers and sees a look of taxing contemplation on most of their faces, a look of confusion on a few, and a look of understanding on only on his beloved Queen.  This is why he does not like talking, for few understand him.  He knows he must reach out to their level of pondering, for they were not yet ready.

"Someone tell me a problem that has vexed you and you wish to solve."

The look on their faces told the King that they all had something that weighed on their minds, but they did not look as if they had the courage to speak, although one did.

"Father, the fish . . .," said Hadar.

"Yes, go on," said the King wondering if Hadar was about to question the mystery and the task he had placed before him, but not showing the disappointment in his face.

"-- on occasion they flop off the end of my spear."

The group suddenly returned its full, undivided attention to the conversion, for all that had fished had felt the frustration of losing a catch back to the river.

"I have taken to waiting to spear the fish through their mouths when they are facing towards me, but sometimes they do not turn to me and I let them pass."

This sent a ripple of shock through the crowd.  None of them had ever passed at the attempt to spear a fish, but still Hadar would catch more fish in a day.

The King looked at his son and knew that he had finally taken his first step on solving the mystery of himself.

"So, you believe there is a problem with the fish?," King Malik said quizzically.

"Yes, father.  They get off my spear."  Hadar said with a confused look.

"I tell you the truth, if I was speared I would want to get off it too.  There is nothing wrong with the fish.  There must be a mystery with your spear."

A stiffled chuckle works through the crowd, but it ends with a casual glance of the King.

"You will add this mystery to the one I have already given you and your task of teaching others the Mysteries of the Spear that you already know.  I hope you solve it soon, we will get hungry moving around all that stone."

The King turns from the crowd, picks up his spear, and starts walking toward the river for mud and reeds.  After few moments, he speaks as to rouse the stunned crowd, "To our labors."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:42:39 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:12:25 am »
Book of Razon (Pop. 18)

Entry 2: 2nd month of the 1st year
Chieftan: Sev (35)

"Good people of Razon!" I said as I stood up my grand podium rock.  "This last moon has been especially productive.  The wild boar of the forests now belongs to us!  This is truly a testament to our greatness.  We have much to celebrate, and at the same time, much to accomplish, for our potential is far to great to simply allow ourselves to remain as we are.  I'm sure you have all noticed, that with us remaining in a single location, as does our waste.  This cannot be allowed to continue.  We must travel out from the village.  There we will dig a grand pit.  This is where waste will go henceforth.  This is a task of such importance that I, our grand leader, will work alongside you all.  The Earth excavated will too be put to use.  We have all the world to claim our own, why do we remain cramped in a few huts?  We shall build more, to facilitate the families of today, and the families of the future, as well as to store our vast wealth of goods.  Again, I will lead the construction effort, just as I did when Razon rose from the flat Earth into the grand metropolis it is today!"

"But this is not all we must do.  Of course, our food stores must remain stocked, hunters must continue to pursue the boars that now lay at our fingertips.  None shall go hungry in this city so long as I lead.  And with the boars being brought in, there will be hides.  I leave it to the skilled women of the city to find new uses for these versatile materials, as well as others.  I encourage you to learn, and to teach.  Those who make new discoveries for the good of all will recive honour above all else.  One thing we must come to command, is the breath of lightning, fire.  We have all seen the flames as the storms pass overhead.  Whomsover discovers this grand power will be granted untold honour, for they will have done a favour to the great city of Razon that will carry us into a new age of enlightenment!  Finally, the children of our great city.  It always brings a smile to my face to see them run and play in the safety of our city square, but as important as it is for them to have fun, as it is for all of us from time to time, so too must they learn.  Be it from the adults or by their own experiences, they are the future of Razon, and they must be the best that they can be.  Adults, teach them when you can.  Children, learn when you can.  Together we will make Razon the magnificent utopia we all know it will be!"

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:36 am »

The third month came with longer days and the animals were more plentyfull and energetic than ever. Many birds started leaving the continent, where they went during the warm months no one knew. As days grew longer and warmer the nomads walked far across the continents and some passed by the newly formed tribes of the continent, though they feared hostility and stayed away. With their travels the word of mouth was also spread, and soon everyone had heard about nomads giving up the traveling life for ever to stay in the same place and build dens to sleep in as if they were hibernating animals. These rumors didn't affect the tribes, they haven't as of yet at least, in the small villages the problems of the day stayed the main focus.

Month: 3
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: A Tale of Civilizations (Year: 1 Month: 3)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:30:51 pm »
Year 1
Month 3

Village Name: Uli
Chieftain: Keli’i (41)
Chieftess: Lani  (38)
Shamaness: Nani (17)
Men: 6 (K+5)
Women: 7 (L+N+5)
Children: 7

(Nani covered in mud and berry juice handprints.)

Keli'i daughter Nani seemed to have the most visions of the 3 royals. She picked the berries a lot when the women went out gathering food. In one such vision she was told by the sprits to take action and lead the tribe since her father was not much of a “leader” but a “doer”. The sprits also told her to paint her whole body with dyes from the mud and berry juice. At each “rest day” Lani would interpret the peoples visions as well as tell them meanings of her own visions. She is very charismatic when she speaks, plus being young and pretty doesn’t hurt either. Her most elaborate presentations are at the end of the month where she sings and dances.

Lani's love for the tribe has grown and she decided to spend more time with the children of the tribe. To her all of the children of the village are like her own. She talks with her husband about this and how she can be more involved with them.

Keli’i continued to lead through example, but also took a more active role as mediator and helping with disputes and problems. He tried to use common sense and to be fair whenever possible. He also experiments with creating new tools that could help his tribe become more efficient. He is currently working on a way to carry items using reeds.

Through a vision Keli’i could see that some individuals were better at doing one task over another. So rather than make everyone do everything he decided to assign villagers roles based upon their skills. Each villager would do this role during the 5 day work week and then get to rest on the 6ths day. Unlike before the last week of the month would be like rest and no surplus gathering of food. However during the end of the month “rest day” Keli’i would reveal what shall be done for the next month.

Here are the list of roles within the tribe for this month.

Gatherer (3 Females)
This job is for non-pregnant females. Collect as much food is needed. Collect edible fruits, roots and bugs. Take note of which are good to eat and which are not.

Nurse (Lani and 2 Females)
This job is to take care of the children within the village as well as women who are pregnant. In general the females that take this job should be pregnant except for Chieftess Lani who shall always have this job. She will help teach the young children about life, values and what it means to be part of a tribe. She will be there to comfort the children if they are scared and kiss their “boo boos” when they are hurt. In other words their job is to be a mother to all children while the other females are out working.

Shamaness (Nani)
This role is specifically for Nani. She must focus on interpreting not only her own visions from the spirits but the visions others get. She also is the only one who will gather berries and will primarily keep it for herself to use. She also will gather up mud to use on her body before she goes to speak with the village on “rest day”. She will also try to think of solutions to problems the village has and tell her father how she things they can be solved.

Cleaner (1 Male)
The cleaner makes sure the village is clean of trash and waste. He put all food scraps in a big pile near the bodywaste pit. He will also make sure when the bodywaste pit is full that he dig a new hole.

Builder (2 Male)
The 2 male who are at building must take this job. Collect clay and reeds from the river and bring it back to the village. Once enough is gathered begin to build a new mud house. If finished repeat unless other mud houses need repairing in which case they will repair them.

Explorer (2 Males)
The 2 male who are best at scouting must take this job. Take a fruit or root with you and explore down each river even farther than before. Drink from the river when you are thirsty and take note of any food sources along the river. Make sure you stay together. When night falls take turns sleeping while the other keeps watch. Make sure you do not go so far that you cannot make it back.

Chieftain (Keli’i)
This role is specifically for Keli’i. His main job is to be a mediator and help with disputes and problems. He assigns the roles and lets everyone know what needs to be done. When he is not doing this he is actively helping out with all the other roles to make sure they are getting done and everyone is ok.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:50:47 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline dacmat22

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 06:27:35 pm »
Wiseman: Mernin (38)
Wisewoman: Shalbee (29)
Older son: Jermin (16)
Youngest son: Ferilin (12)

I come out of the house and to the town centre and summon every one. “My fellow people, I have noticed that we seem to be crowded and must expand our village. We will all be working together to enlarge our village. We also will be looking for a new food resource. Does anybody have any ideas?” Ferilin yells “I have an Idea for a food source. The river spirits seem to be eaten by the local furry beasts. The furry beasts I have seen grab a river spirit with their hands.” I ask “Are you saying that the river is actually giving us all the river spirits to eat?” Ferilin replies “why yes this is what I believe the river wants us to have.”  I then say “well then I feel that we must have a new way of doing things. All the adults will be working on the gathering at sunrise at mid sun we will work on the new homes and at moon rise we will be catching river spirits. I will pray with the children between times.
Private thoughts
Mernin: I feel that I now know which of my sons shall become leader for when I pass but I will tell the tribe next month so they might know before I need to tell them. I have also found that what the river told me to do with the rocks is now starting to make sense. It seems that when I hit the rocks together it’s make a flash and a bit of warmth but I have not yet made full sense of this.
Ferilin: I am glad that my father accepted my idea of what I thought the river wanted for us. I still wonder though how the furry beasts are able to grab the slippery river spirits. I will be watching them much more closely to see how they hold the river spirits.
Agenda for each week
1.   All the adults now works together on the three most important jobs while still doing the smaller things like keeping the village clean. The children still pray to the river and Mernin now uses the two stones as a kind of mystical instrument that produces a light every time they hit and the children follow this beat.
2.   ||
3.   ||
4.   ||
5.   ||
6.   Again every one finishes everything twice as much in order to prepare for next day.
7.   Every one gathers by the river with Wiseman Mernin and sings to the river while Mernin and his two sons make a click sound with the two rocks which also make a mystical spark. Everyone finds this amazing and the beats sound beautiful.

click or the egg gets it

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:53:50 pm »
Year 1
Month 3

Huts: 6
Total Population: 23 (18 + 5 Royals)
Men: 7 (K + 6)
Women: 7 (Q + 6)
Boys: 5 (2H + 3)
Girls: 4 (1H +3)

Another cycle of the Nightstone had passed and the King was moved once again moved to speak of Mysteries and tasks to the village.  He pondered if these were related events as he waited for the villagers to gather as the Lightgiver was announcing its coming in the eastern sky.

"The Spirits have said much to me in the last month and given us many new mysteries to ponder and varied labors to accomplish.

Some of you have taken ill of late.  Some of you have pondered if this is a punishment from the Spirits for failing to move the big rock.  This is not so.  It is merely the result of ignoring the task of the waste pile.  Even now some of you have fish that is unfit to eat in your huts.  Henceforth, before you partake in your meals, you must check all your food for spoilage, not just the portion you are about to eat.  All that is spoiled must be taken straight away to the waste pile, so it does not spread its rot to the other food.  The Spirits have given us many tasks pertaining to fish because of this matter, but more on this later.

The Spirits are pleased with our effort in trying to move the big rock.  The Spirits say we may cease laboring at this task, but must continue pondering how moving such a large stone could be done.  For one day, they will require us to make the attempt again.  I wish us all to be ready on that day.

The Spirits are also pleased with those who are pondering how to bring water to the village and they wish you to continue doing so.  Those of you who have started gathering bark for this purpose are doubly pleasing.  How to remove large pieces of bark intact from a tree shall be useful in one of the new tasks.  Those of you who murmur complaints about walking to the river for water, but do nothing to discern the mystery of bringing water to the village must cease.  If you grumble the river is too far from the village, you risk the Spirits tasking you with bringing the river to the village.  Remember, things that bother you are mysteries to be solved and overcome.  Complaining is not pondering. 

The task of teaching remains the same.

The task of fishing has changed.  Now 2 men, 2 women, and my son Hadar shall fish.  As the village grows the number of fishers shall increase.  Also, an extra task goes to the fishers.  Starting this cycle and continuing till finished, the fishers will travel to the northern most point of the river we consider to be in our land and work their way down to the southern most point of the river in our land.  Along the way, they will find : where the river is too deep to cross and where it is shallow enough to be crossed, where the river's current is fast or slow, what plants besides reeds grow there, take note of what other animals live near or in the river, notice any strange markings of the land -- rock out croppings, odd colored dirt or mud, or some new mystery marking,  and you are to begin noticing the different kinds of fish you catch and where they are best caught.  Hadar shall be responsible for knowing and relaying all this information to me, on top of his other mysteries and labors.  The river is like our own blood, we need it to live.  It is a mystery that must be pondered and solved.

The task of hut building and maintenance remains 3 men and 4 woman.  The storage hut shall be finished, and 2 new dwelling huts shall be built and a new task is added to huts that people live in.  This task shall also been done in the old huts and new, plus the task of reed and grass flooring which I gave onto you last cycle.  In each lived in hut, a pit 1 pace wide and 2 long and as deep the span of the hand and forearm, shall be dug on the side opposite from the entrance, but at least a pace from the wall.  All the dirt from this pit must be removed from the hut.  The walls and floor of the the pit shall be lined with reeds.  The pit shall be covered; try to use one solid piece of tree bark for this task, but many smaller ones will do if that is not possible.  Do not cover it with reeds for then it would look like the reed floor and pose a danger for you to accidentally fall into. -- That feels like a mystery to ponder.  --  In this pit you will store your families allotment of  fish, instead of piles in your huts.

Should this group finish building the huts, the pits, and floors; they are to go into the woods and collect sticks, bones, and any stones -- from the size of a fist to the size of a head.

The task of storing of fish falls to each family when they get their daily allotment of fish.  The only parts of the fish that go into the pit are the parts that we consume.  The scales, fins, and guts must be taken to the waste pile, where they have always managed to go before, but now without the wait.  A quick, efficient way to remove the uneatable parts must be discovered.  Tearing apart the fish with our hands, teeth, and spears, as we have been doing, must cease as soon as possible.  In the pit, fish shall be in piles based on the day which you received them.  These piles should have a width of at least two fingers between them.  All will try to remember things about the different types of fish they received; how they tasted, how long they took to rot, whether they came apart easily or with difficulty, and anything else that stood out about the fish.  These are things to ponder.

You may have noticed by the count of those tasked, 1 man is still without task.  I am that man and I have been tasked by the Spirits themselves with pondering and solving The Mystery of the Warmth of Rubbing and Scraping, for I made a vow to do so and they do not take vows lightly.  I am going to task during the day inbetween the storage hut and the place of the rock pile, for I like the view down the path there.  I intend to see what happens when any two things are rubbed vigorously together.  Wood : branch, spear, and bark; bone, stone, and reeds rubbed on themselves and each other in combination.  I have even pondered the rubbing of fish; their skin, flesh, and bone -- all.  The only other task I shall do is take my day of teaching for children can hear the Spirits more readily than adults, and the Spirits may give me the answer through one of their questions.

I see by your expressions you do not all full comprehend this task.  That is reasonable, for it is not your task, and you should feel lucky that it is so for it weighs heavily on me."

King Malik pauses and gazes at the crowd for a few moments before going on.

"There are two more matters I must discuss before sending you on your labors.

The first is the matter of strangers and bandits.  Before the founding, when we wandered, this is the time of season when we would break our winter camp and roam the land looking to find a place with abundant food, whether plant, game, or fish.  It is also the time when bandits would begin looking for us, because we would lead them to those things and they could take them from us.  It is time to grow extra vigilant, for if bandits are to give us trouble this year it will most likely be this month or the next.  The hot summer months are not well favored for long travel and in the fall all are scrounging; any that must travel in the winter will be too weak to attack.  The fishers should be the most vigilant, because all try to stay close to the river to quench their thirst.  Now even after saying all this, not all unDanrathi are bandits.  There are plenty of nomads that are merely strangers to us.  Do not attack someone just because you do not know their face, but warily attempt to talk to them from a distance, there are many that speak tongues oddly similiar to our own.  Strangers will normally try speaking to you themselves if you appear friendly.  Do not menace with your spears, but merely hold them like walking sticks when they are at a distance.  Bandits on the other hand will raise a commotion and either flee back the way they came -- either to get more bandits or actually get away, or they attack unseen for they have snuck up on you.  Remember to be vigilant against this.  Strangers will try to trade things with you, like berries or shiny rocks.  Bandits will try to take all you possess, even your life.  If a stranger becomes annoying to you, merely raise your voice and wave him away with your arms, most take the hint and leave.  If you get within spear reach of a bandit, or one you thought a stranger that reveals themself to be a bandit by their actions, spear them as you would a fish and toss their body into the woods to be eaten by beasts."

A look of shock appeared on the young ones faces for they did not truly remember the Time of Wandering, the old ones nodded in agreement.

The second matter is that of the new type of spear crafted by my son Hadar.  Those that fished with him in the last few days have seen it, but all should view it now and hear its mystery.

Hadar come forward and tells us of its inspiration and the means of its crafting."

Hadar comes forward, looking slightly nervous for he has never spoken before the whole tribe before.

Not sure what to say, he holds out the spear so all can gaze upon it.

(The tip)
"I got the idea when I saw a wolf take a rabbit and hold on to it by burying its teeth in the rabbit's body, this enabled the wolf to drag the rabbit with him without difficulty.  When you thrust it into a fish you twist the spear with a quick jerk, then the fish can not get off the spear."

Hadar makes a split-second thrust, twist, and return to ready in a direction no one is standing.  All the onlooker's hearts skip a beat.  Only the old ones who remember the battles of their youth know why; the spectre of death had just winked at them.

"I made the spear by first finding the perfect branch, that had another stout branch coming off it in just the right direction.  Instead of snapping all the side branches off, as we do now, I left that one on.  Then I carefully sharpened the tip and all of the side branch.  It is like having a little spear on my spear."  Hadar thinks of a few more things to say, but choses to keep them to himself.

"Truly, my son has made a fine weapon.  My worry of bandits is greatly lessened knowing that he wields it.  This spear shall be know as Wolf-Fang in honor of the wolf whose Spirit it invokes; and all spears made like it, even as its mystery is continued to be refined, shall be know as wolffang spears.  When the Spirits next commands us to build more spears, I'm sure many shall be in the form of this might totem."

The crowd lets out a joyous noise in celebration and the King makes no motion to stop it.  The whooping goes on for a few minutes.

When the crowd finally settles down, the King utters a familiar phrase, "To your labors."

As the crowd disperses, Hadar feels a hand on his shoulder as he's walking away.  He turns to see King Malik standing there.

"Before you go to morning meal and start your labors, tarry with me for a moment."

"Yes, of course, father."

"I ponder, why you did not tell them all that you told me of the spear when you first crafted it and showed it to me?"

"I . . . I didn't think it important."

"You do not think that this spear requiring twice the skill and effort of a normal spear to fish, or that you think no other has skill enough yet to use it correctly, was unimportant?"

"No, not that.  I didn't want to worry them."

"Will you wait until they all have new wolffangs, yet starve at the riverside to let them start worrying?"

"I would not let that happen.  I will teach and train them to use it; this I --"

"STOP!  Do not make a vow you do not know if you can fulfill.  I might have to spend the rest of my days rubbing fish and sticks together because of a loose vow I made on a mystery that I may have mispondered and placed too great an importance on.  I do not wish a similiar fate on you."

"You do not know if you can solve the mystery?"

"I truly do not.  Who knows when all the clues of a mystery will fall into place?  All I know is that I am now bound to the effort, like a fish to your spear."

" . . . No Father, the mystery is bound to you like a fish to your spear.  It shall not get away, no matter how much it struggles."

"Let us hope so.  But let us return to the problem you face.  When shall you make a spear the people can use that will reduce the number of fish they lose back to the river?"

"But, I did that!  I crafted Wolf-Fang.  I have yet to lose a fish since I made it."

"I did not ask about you, I asked about the people we are responsible for.  How much training will they need?  How strong will the women need to be?"

"I don't know Father.  I thought crafting a fine weapon would be enough.  I thought the Spirit of the Wolf would be enough."

"There are two of your mispondering right there."

"What do you mean father?  A finer weapon does not exist and the wolf is a powerful totem."

"You are correct.  Wolf-fang is a mighty weapon.  If a half-dozen bandits were to attack you while you where using the bodywaste pit with Wolf-Fang at your side, they would all be feeding the beast of the woods before they even knew they had embarked on the Great Mystery.  I have been waiting for the Spirits to allow us to hunt game in the woods, but I know when they do, all the wolffangs we take will fell many a deer, because stabbing a deer does not require the same precision as a fish."

"Please Father if that is the case, what have I done wrong?"

"Your first mistake was the task was to help others and not just yourself gather fish.  The spear you crafted should have been usuable by all the Danrathi, not just the mighty and the skilled.  Your second mistake is so glaring, I can not even believe you made it . . ."

"Please Father, tell me."

"Hadar, how often have you seen a wolf fishing?"

A look of total befuddlement crosses Hadar's face, and he covers it with his free hand to hide his shame.

"When you are out scouting and learning about the river, keep an eye on what beasts come to feed on the fish.  If your heart is true to your task and your pondering sound, the Spirits will not keep the mystery hidden from you for long."

"Yes, Father.  I will remember the task I set myself."

"Then let us both begin the labors the Spirits have set before us."   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:14:43 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 05:56:00 pm »
Book of Razon (Pop. 21)

Entry 3: 3nd month of the 1st year
Chieftan: Sev (35)

Yet another moon had passed, and Sev stood once more upon his grand podium rock of eternal greatness.  He gazed out upon the crowd that had gathered before him.  Taking a deep breath, he began his speach.

"Good people of the grand city of Razon.  I am pleased to see the progress we have made in the days passed.  Both the waste pit and our new hut are ready for use, and another hut will be here shortly.  We grow at an unprecidented rate, and maintain our position as the dominant force in this world.  We have dominion over the waters of the river, from whom we drink from without consquence, the beasts of the forest, upon whom we prey at our leisure, and upon the soil of the Earth, which we take for our own to build this great city we call home.  There is, however, one which continues to challenge our reign.  One that continues to elude us.  I'm sure you have all heard of the brave citizen who gave his life in the battle against this most unrully element.  Fire, my good people, fire.  It is power and it is energy.  I can say with no doubt that it deserves our respect, but that does not mean that it is beyond our control.  I have watched as it is spawned from lightning, I have seen how it consumes.  This is a dangerous power that at the same time would be an increadible boon were it to be ours.  I'm certain any who have watched for it has seen where it is born.  It is spawned amidst the highest branches of the tallest trees.  From there it feasts upon the wood as it spreads.  Only the waters of the rain can reign in its might.  But we control the water, so how is it that fire has eluded us?"

Sev paused for dramatic effect as he looked upon the enraptured faces of his people.  "Come the next storm, we will be ready.  The men of the tribe will go out to the forest once fire has spawned.  We will be cautious, to avoid any more losses of life.  We will bring it an offering of reed and grasses, and once it has begun to devour the ends offerings, we will carry them back with us.  We will prepare a feast of reed, and wood and grass in the town center for the fire, and bring it back with us.  And then, when the rains come to try to extinguish it, we will protect it.  By doing so, we will gain the gratitude and respect of fire, and it will become our ally."

"Until then, I want things to continue as normal.  Construction of the hut will not be hampered.  Those who have been maintining our huts have done a fantastic job thus far, and I would request that they do similar with the waste pit.  I ask that they fashion a roof for it, as we have for our huts.  We shall walk on this roof and waste will go in a hole in the center.  That way, all waste will fall to the bottom of the pit, and not clutter around its edges.  In addition to this, I ask that a small hut be constructed in preparation for the comming of fire.  Care must be taken however that it will not be eaten by the flames, but it must still be able to protect it when the rains come.  I shall assist and oversee the construction of this building.  I have one last thing I wish to say.  I am aware that I have been fairly somber thoughout this speech, but do not doubt me for a moment.  Words alone cannot express how proud I am of you all.  The city has grown fast, and it has you to thank.  That said, we must keep in mind that we must continue this.  We must never stop growing, never stop learning.  We are destined for great things, and together we will achieve them."

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 01:13:01 pm »

The bandits and nomads continue to travel in the fourth month, and wildfires have occured in some areas due to periods of increased temperature, but rain is still common so they are put out before to much harm is caused. The days are getting longer and the people of the setteled tribes feel that this is the time they have the chance to grow the fastest and do everything they can to expand while staying aware of the threat in the shape of bandits and the wild beasts. Even the mysterious supernatural powers seems to be something to fear this time of the year, the weather is considered an enemy by many.

Month: 4
@davidramnero