Author Topic: Game creation and YOU!  (Read 18776 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Game creation and YOU!
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »
Sorry for the corny title.

I'm wondering how many people here are actually planning on going into / are working in the games industry.  In that same respect, anyone here apart of the mod community?

To start things off, I'm not planning on going into the games industry, but I do plan on joining a mod team some day.  Am currently teaching myself C++.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
Re: Game creation and YOU!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »
I am hoping to get into the gaming industry. Ultimately I'd love to be a designer, but I'd be fine as just a lowly engineer. I've already made a few small games using flash, and I want to get into the modding scene but I don't really have the time.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:12:13 am »
I am hoping to get myself in the gaming industry, 3D Modelling / Mapping / Texturing / Animating area.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:03:07 am »
I've signed in for a 4 year long college that teaches me everything about Game Development and if I still feel like I don't know enough, I'll go to another college that basically takes 4 years as well, although you basically need to know a lot before you're allowed to join. So yea, I'm planning on getting in the gaming industry :)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:53 am »
Same as Darkdragon.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:13:45 am »
I've got a Computer Science degree, as well as a "Computer Arts" degree, so if I had the time, money, and the passion, I could probably make a full game from the ground up.  But I have none of those right now.  :P.  I've made a few stupid flash games and I'm currently working on a simple pseudo roguelike RPG in Flash. 

Sub, I would highly suggest picking up a few math books as well.  Math is very very important to computer science, and goes hand in hand a lot of the time.  I'm sure there's a few specific math books for computer science beginners.  Matrices, integral calculus, statistics, etc.  And the problem with programming is that there are so many different ways to do things, that the nuance is the design.  You can teach yourself C++ and learn the syntax and the algorithms, but the design of the program is the thing you really need to study.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:15:24 am by Lippy »

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:04 am »
I'm thinking of becoming a storyline writer, games need REAL stories :)
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:57 am »
I want to go into the games industry, but at the moment i only know what i do about computers from the internet, i'm taking a computing a level and then hopefully a degree course. Although the maths front is sorted, i'm definitely good at maths.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:25:02 am »
Lol I just thought of something:
"In Soviet Russia, game creates YOU!"
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:54 am »
I would, however if I am to persue my dream as a comedian I will not have any time for the gaming industry.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 12:02:35 pm »
Why not become a comedy writer for games? Or would you prefer jokes of the stand up variety?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:13 pm »
I'd rather do stand-up, it's easier for two reasons:

1) It's mostly about acting, you don't actualy need a good sense of wit or satire - so long as you say something the right way it's always funnier.

2) When you want an agent in comedy you just have to film yourself performing a stand-up in front of an audiance. To become a comedy writer for anything you have to submit a script, which will be read out by a boring bland guy and will be in New Times Roman font, making it look boring and completly unfunny.

Alsothere is a very, very slim chance that I may be able to get on HIGNFY, should I perform stand-up and get lucky with agents.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 12:14:18 am »
I've got a Computer Science degree, as well as a "Computer Arts" degree, so if I had the time, money, and the passion, I could probably make a full game from the ground up.  But I have none of those right now.  :P.  I've made a few stupid flash games and I'm currently working on a simple pseudo roguelike RPG in Flash. 

Sub, I would highly suggest picking up a few math books as well.  Math is very very important to computer science, and goes hand in hand a lot of the time.  I'm sure there's a few specific math books for computer science beginners.  Matrices, integral calculus, statistics, etc.  And the problem with programming is that there are so many different ways to do things, that the nuance is the design.  You can teach yourself C++ and learn the syntax and the algorithms, but the design of the program is the thing you really need to study.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll see about getting a good math book for computer science, although I should probably finish reading through the two C++ books I have first.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 05:40:55 am »
i want to learn c++ i'll probably start next year or something.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 03:21:37 pm »
Well, I am certified for VB and I'm working on C++, but they really aren't meant for beginners game-wise.  There are a lot of design tools out there, but my personal favorite is Multimedia Fusion.

Basically, you program the game in psuedocode, then MMF compiles it into C++ (or java, if you prefer).  If the program ever can't do something you want it to do (A.K.A., you can't find it bc MMF can do anything), you can make your own extension in C++.  Also, it's worth noting that MMF has a built in spritemaker and animator, a function that raw coding bases don't have.

When you go to the company's site, their prices can be a bit shocking.  They sell various versions of MMF, starting at TGF (the games factory) and leading up to MMF2 Developer, what I use.  That program can run for about $400.00.  Here's the secret-  There's another site called Creation Engine that sells cheaper versions of media development software to students and teachers.  You can get MMF2D there for $130 as long as you can provide a student ID photocopy or a note from your place of employment.  Much better.

Of course, you don't have to shell out over a hundred dollars.  you can get TGF for around thirty bucks.  It may not be as powerful, but it sure is cheaper.

The clickteam products also have a lot of really strong communities.  The biggest I've seen is The Daily Click.  They are always willing to help out fellow programmers, there are tons of engines and tutorials ready for download, and they constantly hold competitions with real-world prizes.

Here's the sites I've mentioned:
www.clickteam.com - the makers of the klik products, aka MMF and TGF.  they have 30 day trials here.
www.creationengine.com - cheep cheep deals on the klik stuff, they've got a lot of other good stuff too like adobe and corel
www.create-games.com - The Daily Click, the top kliker forums on the web

Hope this helps.