Author Topic: A Tale of Civilizations [Community game] (OOC)  (Read 57194 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations [Community game] (OOC)
« Reply #555 on: August 20, 2009, 03:00:25 pm »
I'm sorry to say it, but I think that I have to drop out of this game.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but with school starting back up and several other things going on at the moment, I don't think I'll be able to keep up. This game was really fun and set up really well, it's just that as the game progresses the posts seem to grow in length as well and it gets harder and harder to manage everything. I hope the game continues for you guys, it's just become a little bit too much for me.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 20, 2009, 03:02:28 pm »
Oh ok  :-\ I hope school works out for you without becoming to much.

Then I guess we have one spot open once again, the Red Tribe.
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #557 on: August 20, 2009, 07:31:54 pm »
Oh ok  :-\ I hope school works out for you without becoming to much.

Then I guess we have one spot open once again, the Red Tribe.

If no one takes the spot could we try to continue without a player controlling that tribe?

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 23, 2009, 03:42:31 am »
One thing however that needs to be solved if we are to continue with this is how the updates gradually requires more and more work, it is not a stable trend if we want to get anywhere. I don't see how this could be counteracted, any suggestions?
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #559 on: August 23, 2009, 01:29:02 pm »
One thing however that needs to be solved if we are to continue with this is how the updates gradually requires more and more work, it is not a stable trend if we want to get anywhere. I don't see how this could be counteracted, any suggestions?

I know you don't like it very much but general organization like i have been doing with my template style. While repetitive it allows for everything to be account for and I am able to to keep even the most organized, well organized.

Your PMs do that to some extent but perhaps more could be added just to just keep track of progress. I ran into the same thing when I was doing the Sim Caveman game. Eventually the tribe got so huge to control. This has gotten farther because more have worked on it. However I can see that keeping all the tribes running its taking its toll. Not only because everyone gets busy but because you have to check the progress on them all.

Some suggestions to help lighten the load are ...

1. Get rid of inactive players. This is one major factor I ran into for Sagan 4 early on. I know these are completely different games but they both required participation from the player. I suggest you allow for a way for those who cannot participate all the time to be skipped or allow a catch up. Or even say an auto-pilot method where they keep doing what they were doing until they come back. I mean even though we control the leaders of the tribe the tribe itself has its own semi-autonomy. You could just have them act like they normally do while they are gone.

2. Like I said above, organization. It doesn't even have to be that complex. Mine was organized like this ...

*image*

Who:
Research:

*Description*

.. This method was simple to fill out and could be easily done the other way around for the results.

In addition you may want to consider making a wiki to keep track of all the information. It may be a quicker way to do your updates without having to write everything out over and over again. Feel free to use my Caveman Game Wiki if you like. Or perhaps you should use GamingSteve Wiki.