Author Topic: The Entirely New Verfol Thread! (you can forget the old one)  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
The Entirely New Verfol Thread! (you can forget the old one)
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:15 pm »
So, before I begin this I'm first going to thank Crazen (Thank you Crazen! ;D), his last post on my old thread reminded me of the good ol' Creation Corner times, which is the most fun I've had with "spore", as I found the game to be a major let-down and instead I found working on the forum a lot of fun. So I decided to lurk around for awhile afterwards. Finally I decided my Verfols needed re-doing, as I learned that I had made some mistakes and came up with a lot of new ideas. You can forget the old Verfol thread, but I am keeping the creature design (with some differences, mainly no front "crab claw arm", no antennae, and the spikes and second set of eyes are now a racial trait that varies from Verfol to Verfol) and keeping a few of my basic ideas. So, thanks again Crazen, and here are the new and improved Verfols.  :)

The Verfol

Special thanks to Great Distance for the artwork (I did change a couple things though)

Verfol Fact Sheet:
(Section 1 -- Biology)
Type                 : Terrestrial
Appearance           : Reptilian
Gravity preferences  : Standard
Temperature pref.    : Warm, Also Preferably Humid
Atmosphere breathed  :Nitrogen/Oxygen
Body cover           : Scales
Body color           : Can Range From Grayish Teal To Dark Green
Hair                 : None
Hair color           : None
Eyes                 : From Two To Four Depending On The Race
Eyes color           : Any Mix of Brown, Green, Gray, Yellow, Blue, Orange, or Purple
Body characteristics: Six-Legged As Well As Two Arms, Very Long Body, Claws and Fangs, Some Have Back Spikes
Diet                 : Carnivore
Sexual reproduction: Two Genders Male/Female
Reproduction method: Eggs
Limbs pair n° 1:  Large Arms With Three Finger One Thumb Clawed Hands
Limbs pair n° 2:  Long Legs Ending In A Raptor like Claw
Limbs pair n° 3:  Short Powerful Legs Ending In Webbed Claws
Limbs pair n° 4:  Short Powerful Legs Ending In Webbed Claws
Mass: : Average 370 kg
Size:  Average 240 cm tall (when standing in ‘S’ Shape) Average 600 cm long (when lying down)

(Section 2 -- Culture)
Attributes:
  Militancy       : 17
  Determination   : 18
  Racial tolerance: 10
  Progressiveness  : 4
  Loyalty         : 15
  Social cohesion : 18
  Art             : 15
  Individualism   : 5
  Body            : 40
  Mind            : 14
  Speed           : 35
  Lifespan        : 130 years
  Tech level      : 8

(Section 3 -- Government and Religion)
Government type   : Federation/Democracy
Religion          : None
Devotion          : None

(Section 4 -- Extra things you should know)
Special abilities:
-Acute Hearing
-Acute Smelling
-Acute Vision
-Ambidextrous
-Bonus skills
   Engineer
   Combat
   Science
-Cold Sensitivity
-Controlled Metabolism
-Disease Tolerance
-Extra Heart
-Fast Healing
-Heat  Tolerance
-Infrared Vision (Only some)
-Leap
-Lightning Calculator
-Manual Dexterity
-Nictating Membrane
-Odious Racial Habits
-Perfect Balance
-Poison Tolerance
-Regeneration (Only when specific conditions are met)
-Sound Sensitivity
-Strange Appearance (Although quite subjective)
-Stretching
-Vibration Sense
-Wall Climbing

Physiology:
the Verfol are a semi-aquatic carnivorous sapient species that closely resemble reptiles. However, unlike most reptiles, Verfols can control their metabolism and are most commonly warm-blooded, relying on endothermy for heat regulation, however they can resort to an ectothermic state when food becomes scarce (although only possible in a warm environment). Furthermore, unlike most reptiles Verfols have eight limbs, two arms and four legs, compared to the regular four of a reptile. A Verfols body is on average 6 meters long and covered in scales.

Verfols can control thier own hearts and metabolic rate. This can be used during hunting and fighting to create bursts of energy as the Verfols heart-rate will skyrocket and burn fat very quickly. This will cause the Verfol to be incredibly hungry afterwards and without a nearby food source (commonly the kill that required the burst of energy) starvation may occur. the Verfols fin-shaped ears are also very important during this process due to the fact that the increased heart rate and fat burning can cause the Verfols body to overheat. To regulate this, the Verfols body pumps more blood through the large ears to cool off away from bodily heat and to cool off in the air. The blood is then pumped back into the body at a cooler temperature. This metabolic and heart rate effect can also be reversed to slow down and place the Verfol into a lethargic state when food is scarce. This changes the Verfol to being ectothermic, relying on outside forces to control body temperature. A Verfol also uses this control to lower its own heart rate to 2 – 3 beats a minute to conserve oxygen when underwater. the Verfol body also has two four chambered hearts that are used to mitigate this control as well as allow blood to be properly propelled through the body when standing upright. One of these hearts can be actively shut off when conserving energy, or when the Verfol is wounded.

Reproduction:
Verfols have an evolved sense of monogamy and pick one partner for their lifetime. these partners reproduce sexually in a "regular fashion ;)". Females then begin to develop eggs within themselves that take an average of 3 months to produce. A female will lay 1-4 eggs after this time has passed in a secluded area of their home. Verfol parents each take turns caring for the eggs, as they are soft-shelled and very vulnerable to temperature change. Verfol embryos do not have sex chromosomes, and unlike humans sex is not determined genetically. Sex is instead determined by temperature, with males produced around 31.6 C, and females produced at slightly lower and higher temperatures. This allows modern day Verfols to determine the sex of their unborn children. Verfol Embryos take on average 8 months to develop after being laid and will hatch after this time. It is very common and accepted in Verfol society for parents to kill and eat young that show signs of birth-defects or are deemed "unfit" by other means. Verfol parents care for their young for an average span of 12 years before they leave home for a life of their own.

Posture:
Verfols have two sets of posture, which are a crawling stance and an ‘S’ shaped stance. the crawling stance is very straightforward and involves the Verfol standing on its six legs and on its hands with its full body outstretched, close to the ground. This stance allows the Verfol to run at top speeds, using all eight limbs for locomotion. As such this stance is used commonly for hunting, tracking, and fighting. the stance also grants the Verfol a minimal amount of vibration sense. However, this stance commonly puts other races on edge as it is an easily associated predatory stance and is simply “weirder” looking than a Verfol standing upright. Although, some Verfols find walking easier in this stance and use it instead of the ‘S’ shaped stance, regardless of how it may make others feel.

This leads us to the second stance which is the Verfols ‘S’ shaped stance. This stance involves the Verfol to stand on its six legs and twist its body into an ‘S’ shape causing the Verfol to stand roughly 2.4 meters tall. This stance is used in social occasions with other Verfols and other races as well as allowing the Verfol full access to their hands for manipulation of objects. This stance is not strenuous on the Verfol because attached to the sides of a Verfols rib bones are overlapping layers of thin cartilage and layers of tiny hexagonal plates called “tesserae”, which are crystal blocks of calcium salts arranged as a mosaic. these layers can lock onto each other at certain locations on the Verfols body to allow the Verfol to stand in an upright ‘S’ shaped position without placing pressure on the Verfols spine and muscles. the tesserae and cartilage give these areas the same support strength found in heavier bone tissue, but allow the Verfols body to remain flexible when crawling or swimming.

Hunting:
Verfols are strictly carnivorous and are the apex predator of their environment. they hunt prey of all sizes and of most environments (save too high in the air or too far underwater). Most Verfols live a semi-aquatic lifestyle, living on land and hunting underwater or hunting prey that comes near water to drink. Verfols have amazing eyesight, hearing, and sense of smell, as well as minor vibration sense. As apex predators Verfols use all these senses to locate their various prey.

When hunting underwater a Verfol can hold its breath for an average of an hour and a half, although if pressed they can hold their breath for just above 3 hours. the Verfols streamlined body allows it to swim swiftly by tucking in their arms and legs to the side and “slithering” through the water. Their webbed feet, although not used to propel the animal through the water, allow it to make fast turns and sudden moves in the water or initiate swimming. Verfols have a second clear eyelid that is used when underwater to prevent damage from to the eyes and so the Verfol may see more clearly underwater. A Verfol usually uses its strong jaws and teeth to kill prey underwater.

When hunting on land Verfols can run at average speeds of 40 mph to overcome prey, but can also reach speeds up to 60 mph when pressed. When hunting in this fashion a Verfol uses its teeth, clawed hands, and front foot claws to slash and attack prey.

Verfols are exceptional climbers, with the aid of their many claws and serpentine body, they can either grab hold of a tree, for example and pull themselves upwards or wrap their bodies around an object to move upwards. This is useful in catching arboreal creatures, birds, and raiding nests. It should also be noted that by locking rib plates in the lower half of the body and by stretching the torso and neck Verfols have an exceptional reach upwards that is useful for catching birds.

Verfols themselves are not venomous, however due to the Verfols strong immune system they can resist many poisons and instead use the poison of another animal or plant to their advantage when hunting or fighting. the Verfols have a special pouch in the back of their throats that is typically used to store food or water (used during times when A Verfol believes it will need it in the future), or in this case poison. Poison held in the pouch can be used to spit at an enemy or can be excreted into the mouth when a Verfol bites.

The same extremely strong immune system that allows them to resist most poisons and diseases can also become a weapon in itself. When a Verfol attacks another creature with its claws, or teeth, genetic material from the Verfol can be left on the employee attacked. A Verfols somatic cells become extremely virulent when in a foreign blood-stream, duplicating themselves rapidly, and attacking other cells. This can be very painful for the creature experiencing it and can lead to death. However, not all employees are affected and those who resist it can use Verfol cells to fight poison and disease within themselves.

It should also be noted that Verfols never attack other sentients, unless provoked. Verfols also refrain from eating any other creature that is known to be sentient.

That's it for now. But I'll be working on a bit more of explaining the physiology, some posture pictures, detailed Verfol cities and working on society and culture (I have some great ideas for them all ;D), maybe an RP thread is in the works, who knows ;)? Also, the Rhygnoks will be returning, although different themselves and with more detail. :)

Thanks again Crazen.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:40:35 pm by Jurassicskin »

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: teh Entirely New Verfol Thread! (u can forget teh old one)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:51:07 pm »
After April fools you need to give this a COMPLETE overhaul.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:09:08 pm »
After April fools you need to give this a COMPLETE overhaul.
Why is that? If you're referring to the words that have changed, won't they all change back to the way they were?

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:38 pm »
No. If it hasn't by now it won't.

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:04 pm »
Wow, that really sucks :(. Oh well, thankfully it's only one posts worth of work to go over. Although, I'm feeling too lazy and tired to do it right now. Don't do today what you can do tomorrow right? :P

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:29:25 pm »
That's almost my motto. XD

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:59:45 am »
YES!

Need I say more? ;) :)

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: The Entirely New Verfol Thread! (you can forget the old one)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:35:42 pm »
yay. sombody mentioned me.

about time. I read the whole thing.

dont forget to bring the other pictures back, if you have the time.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:58:29 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:23:23 pm »
yay. sombody mentioned me.

about time. I read the whole thing.

dont forget to bring the other pictures back, if you have the time.

Haha, I thought you would like that. I will be bringing back some of the pictures, but since I changed their physiology a bit their not all pertinent. So when I get the time I'll just do some new ones.

So, I said I had a lot of new ideas and here are some of them. Although, I think I’m going to keep the work to large weekly updates. I’m also doing a lot of work on setting out the details of the Verfols “coming out thread” it’s looking quite epic, I just hope a lot of people participate. *Ahem* especially since most of the RP's seem to be a little, ummm, lacking? Anyways here's the update.

Pack Behavior
Verfols evolved as social pack predators and therefore have inlaid social community instincts. These natural instincts have evolved to give Verfols strong community feelings regardless of the size of city that the Verfol lives in. Verfols commonly belong to a pack which is similar to what humans refer to as a family. However, packs do commonly have relatives within them but friends as well as family are considered part of the pack. Packs commonly have 6 to 18 individuals within them, although larger packs are possible. Members of a pack are given family names such as mother/father, brother/sister, aunt/uncle, grandfather/grandmother or cousin etc. (It should be noted that there are different Verfol words for each title, I just haven’t though of them yet :P) although the name given does not refer to family ties or age, only gender is considered. For instance one Verfol may refer to another as father/mother even though they are not their actual father/mother and are significantly younger. The name given is also the name that everyone in the pack refers to you as. It is a common sign of earning a Verfols friendship when the Verfol refers to you with a family pet-name. It should also be noted that a Verfol pack may have members of other races, although this is rare.

Galactic Relations
In interspecies relationships Verfols take a more isolationist role, preferring to keep to themselves and ignore all but the most dire situations within the galaxy or situations involving their closest friends. This isolationist trend can also be seen as the Verfols have colonized all nearby worlds to ensure that no other races colonize them. Although, the slightly more outgoing Verfols that travel the galaxy tend to keep to themselves or other Verfols. Due to their natural predatory instincts, keen sense of hearing, excellent eyesight and sharp sense of smell, Verfols find common employment as scouts, mercenaries, bounty hunters, and security officers.

Due to being strictly carnivorous Verfols have a large stake in the inter-stellar trade of livestock. As well as livestock animals, Verfols have found a strong niche market in the trade of exotic animals and animals used as steeds. Verfols are exceptional at hunting and capturing rare or hard to capture animals on planets throughout their system and some others. These animals are then traded on the “Interplanetary Animal Market” founded on the Verfol home planet of Jagd. This market is also used to buy fauna for planet restoration projects when planets are being terra-formed to support more life. Verfols are also interested in buying and finding the more dangerous animals on the market for use in their gladiatorial arenas.
Interplanetary Animal Market

Artowork done by Standing

Law And The Arena
Verfols have a very rigid law system that is considered by many other races to be very harsh as the death penalty is used very often. Although, aside from the death penalty arena sentences are extremely common, which sometimes comes as a surprise to others as the Verfols are a very advanced race, however they have an obsession with watching arena gladiatorial battles. This sentencing is also seen as odd, as criminals may commit crimes as long as they survive the arena. Although, the arena is also commonly seen as just another way to hand out a death sentence and the arena battle is set to be proportional to the harshness of the crime committed. This sentencing is set within the Verfols views that “The strongest survive”.

Arena battles can have many factors involved. These factors range from the terrain fought on, obstacles within the arena, the allowed use of weapons, and who or what you fight. Professional gladiatorial fighters fight in the arena as well as criminals. Non-sentient violent animal contenders are also very prized viewing in the arena.

Arenas themselves can be of natural or artificial make. Verfols prefer natural arenas but artificial ones are made for convenience within cities that do not have the proper natural elements to support them. Natural arenas are made within mountains, canyons and cliffs (typically any natural location with a flat area for the fighters that is surrounded and closed in by a higher area for spectators.) Artificial arenas are built within large buildings and as such have a changeable terrain for the battlefield. 

Aside, from these factors Verfols have a highly advanced society and culture and are only viewed as barbaric due to their predatory instincts, acceptance of eating young, and fixation with the gladiatorial arena.

Racial Differences
There are three main races within Verfol society that are associated with the three main nations of Jagd. They are the Gardjun from the nation of the same name, The Kurdarians from Kurdarik, and the Tralykians from Tralykor. Within modern Verfol society many Verfols now display many of the associated physical racial traits of separate races, however these traits can help point out an individual Verfols ancestry. Distinctions between the separate races include skin colour, eyes, back spikes, and hand and feet webbing.

Verfols from Tralykor typically have less webbing on their claws, more back spikes, and are usually of a lighter shade of green in colour. This is because Tralykor is much less forested when compared to Gardjun and Kurdarik, with most of the land consisting of large plains, mountains, and plateaus as well as large amounts of swampland. Tralykians are typically of a lighter shade of green to help blend in with the vegetation of the swamplands and plains of Tralykor. Tralykians usually have the maximum of four large back spikes that a Verfol may have because they are used to ward off other predators as they are more open to attack, as Tralykor is less forested and much more open land. Verfols from Tralykor are much less aquatic than their other counterparts as they only hunt in the water in the swamps so their back spikes do not interfere with their bodies streamlined shape and their need for the ability to swim swiftly. The lack of the need to swim is also present in the lack of webbing in the claws and feet.

Verfols from Kurdarik are characterized by their much darker scales, longer and thinner bodies as well as longer and thinner limbs, and the webbing on most of their limbs. Kurdarik itself is mostly thick jungle and swampland that is covered with numerous rivers. This landscape requires much more tree climbing which is why Kurdarians are thinner in build to help them navigate the thick jungle environment of Kurdarik more easily. Kurdarians typically have fewer to no back spikes as it interferes with their ability to swim in the many rivers of Kurdarik as this is a favoured hunting location. Their hands as well as their feet are also more webbed to help with swimming. Kurdarians are also a noticeably much darker shade of green compared to other Verfols as it helps them to blend in to the much darker jungles of Kurdarik. Lastly, and most noticeably Verfols from Kurdarik have a second pair of eyes, located slightly above and beside their first pair. These eyes are slightly smaller and see in infrared wavelength which has been evolved due to the dark jungle environment of Kurdarik.

The Verfols of Gardjun are very similar to those of Kurdarik; however, they are not as thin and are typically a teal colour, rather than dark green. They are the most aquatic of the Verfol races and as such have webbing on all feet and hands and typically have no back spikes at all. The Gardjun nation consists of one large land mass and tightly knit island chains. The islands of Gardjun are large but are typically within swimming distance of one another, which is one reason why the Gardjun Verfols are much more aquatic than their counterparts. Another reason is that the largest landmass of Gardjun resembles a smaller version of Kurdarik, although with less thick jungles and more temperate forest. The island is etched with many rivers and most hunting on Gardjun is either hunting fish or ambushing prey when it comes to the water-side for a drink.

It should be noted that there are almost no sexual dimorphisms in the Verfol species, other than sexual organs, and society wise females and males are considered completely equal.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:25:17 pm by Gooey Kablooie »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 06:31:34 pm »
Sweetness! :)

I'd love to see one of those gladiatorial fights. :)