Author Topic: A: Drive?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: A: Drive?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:58 pm »
I still put a 3 1/2 floppy drive on every computer I build for myself. It's a reasonably convenient way to transfer data for me and especially comes in handy when I need to make a boot disk (the USB option is really hit and miss as far as I can tell). I've got no use for a 5 1/4 floppy though, that computer isn't even plugged in any more and is going to be heading to the trash soon.

Still... it is somewhat disheartening to see that someone didn't know what a floppy disk was. Oh the times they are a changing! And yeah, I've got a USB flash drive too, couldn't live without it. :P

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »
It's probably becoming much less and less of an issue those days but I remember my instructor telling me that people would still insist on having a floppy drive in their tower not because they used it but because they felt it had to be there they are just so used to having one.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 05:13:11 am »

Still... it is somewhat disheartening to see that someone didn't know what a floppy disk was. Oh the times they are a changing! And yeah, I've got a USB flash drive too, couldn't live without it. :P

I knew what a floppy disk was, I simply called the smaller ones hard disks simply because they were hard and not floppy. That was before I realized there was a hard drive in the computer. Now I just call them disks.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 05:52:33 am »
They actually are floppy if you break open the casing. And they're disc-shaped as well.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 12:51:31 pm »
I knew what a floppy disk was, I simply called the smaller ones hard disks simply because they were hard and not floppy. That was before I realized there was a hard drive in the computer. Now I just call them disks.

<_<

Wasn't talking about you Mr. Center of the Universe. :P

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 01:21:09 pm »
My father used to use floppy disks. Until they mysteriously got erased frequently.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »
Sorry, couldn't resist:

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 08:32:23 am »
We still have to install some 3/5" floppy drives on some of our computers at work because the folks that write lab software are still not comfortable with CDs, DVDs, or (gasp) USB thumb drives.

I have an old 8" floppy drive from an IBM around here somewhere.

This reminds me of a service call about 9 years ago.

"User can't read the dictation off of her floppies."

I go to the site and the user is all ticked off. She puts the disks on top of her computer case and when she puts them in the drive they don't work. She has tried several computers and they all don't work.

Well, while I am not a rocket scientist, I do know enough about the functional bits of the floppy data storage system to know that the 30+ refridgerator magnets the user has stuck to the outside of her computer case just might be erasing the data off the floppies when she laid the disks on top of them.

I took the magnets off, told the user that she can't do that, and that she needed to buy ned floppy disks.

User was PISSED! How dare I tell her what to do.

Next day, same call came in.

I grabbed an IBM computer (she had a compaq) and took it out the site. She was so mad she had left with a note DEMANDING that I fix the issue and went home in a huff. Sure enough she had put all the magnets back on.

So I went to her manager and told her that I needed to replace the computer. I took away the Compaq EN 6400 and replaced it with an IBM 300GL.

Problem solved.

-Lego

IBM computer cases are made of plastic. :)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:48:47 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 11:26:13 am »
It sounds like hard (frustrating) work being a computer tech.