Author Topic: Onlive!!!!  (Read 18910 times)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Onlive!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »
Well, the upside of a service like this would be never having to worry over whether the game you shelled out 50$ for works with your current setup or not.

And if I can play Little Big Planet on the PC, then I will die happy.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

gec05

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 10:48:10 pm »
I think the most important thing right now for this service to work is the amount of third-party support. It's good that they're taking in as many high caliber titles, but they should also get as much classic and obscure things as well.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 12:05:12 am »
Critical thinking.  Use it, guys. 

It sounds like a cool idea, but I see a number of problems with it.

1)  Every single game, even singleplayer games must be played online.  This means that the video stream gets sent to you, which will be a 30 - 80 ms delay (If you're lucky), then you must upload your user input which is another 30 - 80 ms on top of the original delay. 
2)  Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo aren't going to support this.  Why?  They'd be cannibalizing their own business, you don't see Microsoft releasing games for a Sony console do you?  Whose going to buy a console without support from at least one of the big three.
3)  Business wise, it's going to be expensive to operate.  For every box sold, they're going have to buy a rather high end hardware machine.  They're going to need datacenters to store these machines.  They're going to need a fleet of technical support crews to fix the hardware if it malfunctions.  They're going to need to pay for the massive amounts of bandwidth this will eat up.  They're going to need to throw away and replace every single piece of hardware they have every few years to keep with technology.  It's going to cost a lot of money for them to run this stuff.  Who do you think is going to end up paying for all of this extra cost?  You are!
4)  Server outage?  No games for you!  Servers being hit particularly hard because of a new popular release?  Laggy games for you!  Honestly, from the early replies it sounds like their website couldn't even handle the stress.  Have you tried streaming HD video from a site such as youtube or gametrailers?  It takes forever to buffer and pauses in the middle of a video.  Imagine streaming HD video and then adding on top of that user input.

I don't understand why they have to sell us a box.  I understand the business aspects of it, but the idea would be easier to swallow and, quite frankly, work just as well if it were a PC only thing. 

Honestly, the entire thing seems eerily similar to the Phantom console, not just in concept but in the business sense, too.  For those of you that don't know, check out this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_(game_system).  The entire thing was a scam.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:18:01 am by Sub »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 11:09:27 am »
The technology behind this is sound but the question is if the infra structure will be. In a way my evolved idea might be more difficult to do on paper but have a clear edge over there sever central infra structure in the real world.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 11:28:43 am »
i haven't seen any mention of a release outside the US either, in fact the FAQ states it will be relased in "continental US".

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:57 pm »
Sigh... *shakes head*

1)  Every single game, even singleplayer games must be played online.  This means that the video stream gets sent to you, which will be a 30 - 80 ms delay (If you're lucky), then you must upload your user input which is another 30 - 80 ms on top of the original delay.

He said that to the untrained eye, there is no difference. Unless you are sitting at home squinting at the monitor and studying the lag, you probably won't notice it. If there is lag, it wouldn't be any different from PC gaming now. :P

2)  Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo aren't going to support this.  Why?  They'd be cannibalizing their own business, you don't see Microsoft releasing games for a Sony console do you?  Whose going to buy a console without support from at least one of the big three.

Uh, yeah. This is PC Gaming. You're forgetting the part where it's gaming for the PC. Not the Wii. Nintendo has never released a Wii title for the computer. This is not the PS3. Sony has never released a PS3 game on the PC.

Also, all of those games on the website are also for the Xbox. You didn't look too deep into this, did you?

3)  Business wise, it's going to be expensive to operate.  For every box sold, they're going have to buy a rather high end hardware machine.  They're going to need datacenters to store these machines.  They're going to need a fleet of technical support crews to fix the hardware if it malfunctions.  They're going to need to pay for the massive amounts of bandwidth this will eat up.  They're going to need to throw away and replace every single piece of hardware they have every few years to keep with technology.  It's going to cost a lot of money for them to run this stuff.  Who do you think is going to end up paying for all of this extra cost?  You are!

Duh! Of course they are going to charge you for the games. Nothing is free! If they get the amount of people they think they will get, then they will be able to buy all of these new nifty supercomputers.

4)  Server outage?  No games for you!  Servers being hit particularly hard because of a new popular release?  Laggy games for you!  Honestly, from the early replies it sounds like their website couldn't even handle the stress.  Have you tried streaming HD video from a site such as youtube or gametrailers?  It takes forever to buffer and pauses in the middle of a video.  Imagine streaming HD video and then adding on top of that user input.

I'd have to agree with this. Steam servers go down sometimes too. That's when you get off the computer. I don't know, fire up your Wii or PS3 or something.

And they are using a lot of servers. I'm pretty sure they have a room devoted to servers in their little office. The founder of this is the same guy who made QuickTime. He's not stupid.

I don't understand why they have to sell us a box.  I understand the business aspects of it, but the idea would be easier to swallow and, quite frankly, work just as well if it were a PC only thing. 

Did you read the website? You don't need the box. You only need the box if you want to play these games on your TV. The actual thing for PC is just a program.

Critical thinking. Use it. :P

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 02:09:45 pm »
dont be all smartass iamme >.>

if you are convinced that there will be no lag with this system then you will be disapointed...

and how do they get money from you buying games that other people made?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 02:10:36 pm »
Snap.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
dont be all smartass iamme >.>

if you are convinced that there will be no lag with this system then you will be disapointed...

and how do they get money from you buying games that other people made?

Sorry. D:

I guess that there probably will be lag, but it's not going to be game breaking.

And that's how online gaming services work. >>; Would you say that Microsoft gets absolutely no money if people buy Mirror's Edge on the Xbox? (Not that they need it.)

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »
Well, if we all read around, it has been said that they will be charging a monthly fee for the use.
Which would mean that the money comming from the subscription would pay for their needs, and the money from the games would go to the Publishers/Developers.
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 02:33:35 pm »
Hmmmm how much monthly use? I mean, after like 600$ worth wouldn't it just be more economical to buy a PS3 and 360?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 02:37:35 pm »
Well, if we all read around, it has been said that they will be charging a monthly fee for the use.
Which would mean that the money comming from the subscription would pay for their needs, and the money from the games would go to the Publishers/Developers.

:O This makes sense, I guess.

So it's like Xbox live, but better. Or worse. Depending on if it works. :/

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 03:00:40 pm »
xbox live you pay to play online...if this thing has subscriptions you pay to play at all

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 03:01:48 pm »
Well technically it IS online.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 03:19:17 pm »
He said that to the untrained eye, there is no difference. Unless you are sitting at home squinting at the monitor and studying the lag, you probably won't notice it. If there is lag, it wouldn't be any different from PC gaming now. :P
Yet given the way he speaks about the product, 'untrained eye' probably means the kind of people who would ask "how many internets do you have?". :P

Duh! Of course they are going to charge you for the games. Nothing is free! If they get the amount of people they think they will get, then they will be able to buy all of these new nifty supercomputers.
You're underestimating how many thousands upon thousands of people use good gaming services. The only way I see it really working, is if they've come up with a server system where it allows one rig to serve several people at once. Which might be the case, but I remain doubtful.

The fact that this supposed Onlive service also acts as a game rental service as well as a game host/processor, is intruiging. Though by buying a title in Onlive, that would also technically entitle you to have a hard copy of the full product too. I wonder how they'll handle that side of things.