Author Topic: The Hell-an.  (Read 28945 times)

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hell-an.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »
The stuff with the Scorpion bot and the shaman healing staff kind of borders on magic IMO. The thing with the scorpion bot could be a myth of legend of some kind though.

Also, these guys sound like a race with druidic leanings which were a pre-electronic tech civilization before they got into contact with some space faring race. Possibly equivalent to the 1700's.

A quick question for you guys in general (and if you don't mind me asking in this thread), does the USSSS or whatever 'Federation' that exists at this time, have a policy of not exposing pre-spaceflight civilizations to first contact? Like what Star Trek has.

I was trying to make something insteresting, I thought this would do... the Imperium of Man have machine spirits. Why not have spirits in machines?
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 03:10:42 pm »
The stuff with the Scorpion bot and the shaman healing staff kind of borders on magic IMO. The thing with the scorpion bot could be a myth of legend of some kind though.

Also, these guys sound like a race with druidic leanings which were a pre-electronic tech civilization before they got into contact with some space faring race. Possibly equivalent to the 1700's.

A quick question for you guys in general (and if you don't mind me asking in this thread), does the USSSS or whatever 'Federation' that exists at this time, have a policy of not exposing pre-spaceflight civilizations to first contact? Like what Star Trek has.

I was trying to make something insteresting, I thought this would do... the Imperium of Man have machine spirits. Why not have spirits in machines?
*FACEPALM*
Seriously?
Machine spirits?
Spirits do not actually exist. Try to keep your creations original and actually physically plausible. No more spirits or magic or any of that crap. >:(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:17:21 pm by omegatripod »

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 03:18:11 pm »
Warhammer 40,000? You can't be serious.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 03:36:13 pm »
Spirits do not actually exist.

I disagree. Magic is fake, but spirits, not necesarily.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:57 pm »

I disagree. Magic is fake, but spirits, not necessarily.
That's open to debate. Also, any technology, no matter how advanced or primitive, is magic to those who do not understand it.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 03:41:20 pm »
That's a stupid quote. It's not magic if it's technology. There is a distinct difference between 'magic' as of say sorcerers, and the 'magic' of how an atom bomb works without being comprehended by cavemen. There is also no evidence that spirits don't exist.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »
That's a stupid quote. It's not magic if it's technology. There is a distinct difference between 'magic' as of say sorcerers, and the 'magic' of how an atom bomb works without being comprehended by cavemen. There is also no evidence that spirits don't exist.
I'm sick and tired of you insulting anything you see, you asinine twerp. And as for spirits, did you mean apparitions? Or, as the layman's terms go, ghosts? Yeah, there's no proof they don't exist. You're right.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »
Har. Spirits, I'm not sure. I've done research on the subject, and I've even had one of my family see the spirit of my great grand-father right after he had died. 'Haunting' ghosts may simply be some form of energetic signature.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »
Yeah, okay. Whatever, just get back on topic and end this flame war.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 03:56:43 pm »
I am flaming no one.

If you're talking about Dreadnoughts, they're mortally wounded marines caged inside the Dreadnought, which is what is keeping them alive. Not really Machine Spirits.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:01 pm »
Okay, sorry. You're not flaming. Now can we get some pictures of a Hell-an?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 05:21:23 pm »

I disagree. Magic is fake, but spirits, not necessarily.
That's open to debate. Also, any technology, no matter how advanced or primitive, is magic to those who do not understand it.

OKAYY... I really did not mean to elict a reaction like the way Razon did.

HOWEVER, going along the lines of what UFO King just said and my observation that these guys seem to be a race that hasn't gone as far as electronics and thier science isn't real advanced either in some areas and that they seem to have been in contact with a spacefaring race. The fact that they import stardrives is a clue. What I'm saying here is that they are technologically primitive. They may understand some stuff like mechanics, but don't understand how a robot would seem alive.

Put it this way, we know that a robot moves because of the electronics (to do a brief explaination), but send it back into time to say... around the renaissance. There were educated people then and they could make simple automatons.... errm..maybe thats not a good example... What I'm trying to say is that they don't have the scientific background or knowledge to understand why a robot would be 'alive'

So... instead of making this seem all about magic, lets just say that the Hell-An are the ones who think it is magic.

I'm sick and tired of you insulting anything you see, you asinine twerp. And as for spirits, did you mean apparitions? Or, as the layman's terms go, ghosts? Yeah, there's no proof they don't exist. You're right.

You have been argumentative and having an attitude in your posts alot,  in the past two months at least....

As far as the quote bieng stupid, it doesn't mean that it IS magic, it just SEEMS like magic for the simple fact that they don't understand how it works.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 05:25:11 pm »
Quoting that last post doesn't even begin to say who you're talking about.

The quote is quite simply stupid. Not understanding technology doesn't make it be believed to be magic.

Besides, the actual quotes is something along the lines of any technology which is advanced enough is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 05:32:27 pm »
Quoting that last post doesn't even begin to say who you're talking about.
Besides, the actual quotes is something along the lines of any technology which is advanced enough is indistinguishable from magic.

That was probably what UFO King was getting at, and I was probably thinking of. And what I was trying to explain in that long post below the first quote box.

Anyways, the 'ghost in the machine' thing that was mentioned about the scorpion bots, that could arise from thier beliefs, a lack of understanding of how an AI works, or both.

The 'magic' shamans staff can't be explained away like this however, and if it never fails, lets see it save a Hell-an with all but its head, neck, and upper torso blasted away.

Edit: Actually, given advanced enough medical technology, cybernetics and maybe nanobots, that would actually be possible, but you know what I mean here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:35:01 pm by smjjames »

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 05:41:11 pm »
Yet another thread damaged critically by Razontair...
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!