5 (22.7%)
B
8 (36.4%)
C
4 (18.2%)
D
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Yet another spore-ish BBS  (Read 77724 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another spore-ish BBS
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2005, 02:22:58 am »
youre clearly forgetting that the umgah are way more bloblike than the melnorme, and these things certainly arent umgah. Hur Hur Hur!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2005, 10:48:33 am »
A-1
B-1
C-3
D-2

hmm, thats better, a slightly more even spread of votes. Now without further adiue:

A bizzare mutation causes a blob to grow rudders on the end of its rudders, this allows it to grab onto the dirig and hold it, this is useful as the dirig begin to fall to the surface after death. Now a good sized group of blob can hold up a dirig until its been totally sucked dry, as a result the blob get slightly larger and the population increases somewhat. This is all well and good for a few generations, then the planet's orbit shifts slightly, the areas the blob inhabit decrease in temperature by around 4 degrees, the new conditions bring with them a new threat in the form of Darts, small fast predators shaped like...well, darts, which delight in puncturing blob and sucking the liquid from inside the shell. the blob can not outmaneuver tham because they appear to be rocket propelled and travel very fast. How to deal with this new threat?
A- New chemical reactions within the blob produce a thick smog from the gasses in the air at no extra cost, the gasses shroud the blob and help them evade the dart

B- The blob stage a mass exodus to warmer climbs, a swampy (for want of a better word) landmass covered in sillicon based 'plants' and home to several new kinds of animal

C- A defense mechanism develops which allows the blob to spray highly adhesive gunk in the form of tiny droplets which expand on contact with the air and cause the darts to fall out of the sky

D- the blobs crystal cluster begins to emmit flashes of light of such intesity and frequency that it causes epilepsy style seisures in the Dart (which posses very sensitive sight). this comes at a moderate energy cost and will reduce the population somewhat as more food will be required for sustenance.

Keep the names coming

Offline drgamer

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2005, 11:11:56 am »
D, just because it would be fun to do that...
Also could eventually be communication
Perhaps eventually they can get energy from the sun (For the flashes)

One is 'fake', the other is not, guess which!

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2005, 01:01:46 pm »
D, I don't like A because it reminds me too much of the Pokemon, Koffing or something.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2005, 03:42:38 pm »
I voted D because I don't think they are smart enought to "stage" anything.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2005, 02:41:32 am »
What i meant by stage is that over a few hundred years the population slowly drifts there, theres no concious though involved

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2005, 09:58:05 am »
C! Ninjas!  :D

Names... (all of these are plural)

The Pehlais
The Iovees
The Reileyans

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2005, 10:51:50 am »
A-0
B-1
C-3
D-4

The crystal cluster on the shell of the blob becomes mre dense and begins emmiting flashes of bright light in starange patterens, this causes seisures in the Dart which fall harmlessly out of the sky, the increased frequency and brightness of the flashes also serves to somewhat increase the mental capacity of the blob (were still talking thick here though). The energy required to run this more efficient brain is quite high though, so the population density of the blob decreases somewhat. With no natural predators the blob appear to be sitting pretty, until you consider the fact that they totally rely on one species for food, if something were to happen to the dirig the blob would be done for. How does natural selection expand the pallete of the blob?

A- the lower part of the sail becomes grossly overdeveloped and gets turned into a trawl net, sifting plankton and detritus from the sea

B- The blob abandon the sea (for some reason) and head for the 'swamps' to the south. Who knows what prey lurks in the brittle trunks of the quartz trees?

C-The crystal cluster takes on the ability to photosynthesize to get the blob  through lean times (this will be a fallback only, any blob operating solely on photosynthesis will be sluggish, stupid and will go into hybernation during the night)

D- Dark shapes have been seen above the bluish clouds during the day, prey perhaps? increase the size of the gas bladders and ascend ever higher into the sky!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 12:46:04 pm »
I don't know how good thier eyesight is, but its probably primitive. and if they are seeing dark shapes pretty clearly that high, then those floating things must be HUGE, more likely to make us prey rather than predator.

I'd say going to the swamps would provide more opportunities.

Offline drgamer

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2005, 01:15:52 pm »
C, think about the advantages in space!

One is 'fake', the other is not, guess which!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2005, 01:17:54 pm »
A. It's the surest way to make sure we don't starve.

And don't forget to vote, DrGamer.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2005, 02:19:04 pm »
I don't know how good thier eyesight is, but its probably primitive. and if they are seeing dark shapes pretty clearly that high, then those floating things must be HUGE, more likely to make us prey rather than predator.

Its us that can see the shapes. The Blob arent intelligent enough to decide to rise up, I just said there were shapes up there, otherwise thered be no reason to float up in the first place.

All the Blob's senses are currently pretty blah.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2005, 08:54:03 pm »
i think we should move to the swamp.  the more complex spatial environment should foster our intelligence.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2005, 06:29:30 am »
A-2
B-3
C-2
D-4
onward and upward!

As the newest generation of blob mature their gasbags swell (the blob are now around a foot in diameter) to gargantuan size, they float higher and higher, through the clouds and into the thin cool air above, it is now revealed that the large dark shapes are HUGE plant like organisms supported (like the blob and dirig) by massive gasbags, which are taking advantaged of the increased intensity of the light up there. More amazingly, entire ecosystems have developed on their surface, from other gasbag organisms,to 'gliders' flitting from platform to platform, to small crawling crystalline 'bugs', to rough skinned fish like creatures living in pools of ethanol which have collected on the flattened surface of the plant. The blob can not feed on the plants themselves, not only would it cause the platforms to deflate and fall out of the sky, but because the plants have a sybiotic relationship with colonies of small crawling crystalline 'insects' which defend the plants in exchange for nest space in the body of the plant itself. The blob instead start attacking the various gasbags which live on the platforms and a balance is soon reached. The blob cut their ties to the surface for the time being and let their droplets mature in the pools on the plants, some are eaten by the fishes but enough survive in this plentiful environment.
Now there's enough food on offer how should the blob exploit it?

A- develop jaws to feed on things other than gasbags
B- develop a rasping tongue to graze the surface of the plantforms (plants + platforms)
C- Photosynthesis, now a more viable option since the light is much stronger here
D- Develop resistance to the Crants (the bugs that guard the plants) and feed off the plantforms (but not so much that it harms them permanently)

Keep the names coming. :)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 06:56:53 am »
I pick A

also you forgot ti reset the poll.