Author Topic: H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds RP OOC and Planning  (Read 10589 times)

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
Re: H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds RP OOC and Planning
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »
Yyyeaahh...maybe I should clarify a little. They're tripods(formally referred to as Fighting Machines) that have metal tentacles and are ninety feet high. The aliens are Martians, which are bug eyed lumps of flesh with sixteen long, whip-like tentacles. The "lazor beams" are actually Heat-Rays, which shoot out invisible beams of heat. Except at night, under the right lighting conditions, where it looks like a faint green beam of light. The tripods can shoot projectiles out of a cylindrical magnetic accelerator. The projectiles do not explode upon impact, instead releasing a gigantic cloud of poisonous black vapor. There is also a large steel cage carried by the tripods, which they put humans in. The Martians feed on protein in its simplest form - blood. For some reason they prefer human blood. We don't really know why, maybe they're picky or something. There's also this Handling-Machine, which looks like a five-legged robotic crab thing. It has a lot of tentacles, some with various tools on the end, and it also has a steel cage on it's back. The aforementioned "foghorns" are actually the sound of the Martians communicating from inside the tripods. It sounds something like this. *ahem* AAAAALLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! If you've seen the 2005 film by Steven Spielberg, you know what it's like. The Martians have also brought along this fast-growing red weed, which contrary to what is shown in the 2005 Spielberg film, does not get fertilized by human blood. It feeds on water. Oh yeah, and the Martians are only invading the UK. And it's 1901 or so. And they traveled to Earth in big pods shot out of a cannon on Mars.
Is that clear enough for you?

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 10:14:28 am »
Which kind of Tripod design are we going to use? Jeff Wayne's version, or a version more true to H.G. Wells' original book?
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2009, 03:56:01 pm »
Which kind of Tripod design are we going to use? Jeff Wayne's version, or a version more true to H.G. Wells' original book?
We'll use the true-to-the book versions. They'll look like a mix between the comic ones and this. But remember, the Heat-ray looks like an old-fashioned camera box. Essentially, a box with a greenish lens cap at the end of a tentacle. And the tentacles are long.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 03:59:47 pm »
Yyyeaahh...maybe I should clarify a little. They're tripods(formally referred to as Fighting Machines) that have metal tentacles and are ninety feet high. The aliens are Martians, which are bug eyed lumps of flesh with sixteen long, whip-like tentacles. The "lazor beams" are actually Heat-Rays, which shoot out invisible beams of heat. Except at night, under the right lighting conditions, where it looks like a faint green beam of light. The tripods can shoot projectiles out of a cylindrical magnetic accelerator. The projectiles do not explode upon impact, instead releasing a gigantic cloud of poisonous black vapor. There is also a large steel cage carried by the tripods, which they put humans in. The Martians feed on protein in its simplest form - blood. For some reason they prefer human blood. We don't really know why, maybe they're picky or something. There's also this Handling-Machine, which looks like a five-legged robotic crab thing. It has a lot of tentacles, some with various tools on the end, and it also has a steel cage on it's back. The aforementioned "foghorns" are actually the sound of the Martians communicating from inside the tripods. It sounds something like this. *ahem* AAAAALLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! If you've seen the 2005 film by Steven Spielberg, you know what it's like. The Martians have also brought along this fast-growing red weed, which contrary to what is shown in the 2005 Spielberg film, does not get fertilized by human blood. It feeds on water. Oh yeah, and the Martians are only invading the UK. And it's 1901 or so. And they traveled to Earth in big pods shot out of a cannon on Mars.
'

I was kidding.

I just wanted to make it more clear to the readers at home.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:39 pm »
'

I was kidding.

I just wanted to make it more clear to the readers at home.
I know. I meant that I should clarify for the readers at home, not for you.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 06:14:24 pm »
I suppose I should post my character.

Robert is an average English gentleman. He is a writer, and was working on a novel when the Martians arrived. He has brown hair with a bushy mustache and wears glasses. I'm planning for him to witness the HMS Thunder Child be destroyed, but after that it is uncertain what will happen to him. He is hard-working and brave, but still cautious and also intelligent. I suppose he will have some interaction with Raka's pod.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »
I want to read the book, but I keep forgetting to go to the library!
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »
Then write yourself a reminder in your school agenda or whatever you have while you still remember! Go! Do it! Now! Stop reading this and do it while you still can! Well? GO ALREADY!!! >:(

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:46 pm »
Then write yourself a reminder in your school agenda or whatever you have while you still remember! Go! Do it! Now! Stop reading this and do it while you still can! Well? GO ALREADY!!! >:(
What he said.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »
Here are the finalized Fighting Machine and Martian designs.

What do you think?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 08:50:27 pm »
Very cool. I like it a lot.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 11:29:29 am »
(I've noticed a general lack of comments. That needs to change.)
I've decided to tell the story with drawings, much like the Prison Escape adventure in the Sporums. To save time, I'm going to make the drawings in pencil sketch format. It'll go like this: I'll post a picture with some text, then the players will post a quick picture along with their text, but it has to be in the story's style. (i.e., you can't draw the tripods differently.) I'd also prefer that the pictures be quick pencil sketches, in order to adhere to the RP's artistic format. What do you guys think? Why don't you post some pencil sketches of your characters to warm up? That would be much appreciated.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 07:29:05 pm »
So does one post a picture in continuation of the previous post, or do we tell you, the GM, what to draw?
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:16 pm »
One posts a picture. But you can only draw your character's own actions. If you can't draw it, then ask me to draw it for you.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2009, 08:17:59 pm »
Here are the finalized Fighting Machine and Martian designs.
What do you think?
Wait, which source are you using? Cause I thought the tripods said something like "ULA" or "OOOLA". >.> <.<
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.