Author Topic: Darwinia  (Read 3110 times)

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Darwinia
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:15:34 am »
Anyone else get this game?  My copy finally arrived in the mail last week (It was shipped on February 28th. :D Go go shipping from England to Alaska!) and while it was short, (a lot shorter than I expected, especially considering the simplicity of the game,) and definantly has a bit of a fudge element in relating to the computer elements, it was a VERY fun game.

For those of you in the dark, which I'd suspect to be quite a few, since I haven't heard much about this game since it was released, this is the next game from Introversion, the guys who made the hacking sim "Uplink."  The game basically revolves around defending a civilzation of sentient AI sprites, called Darwinians, against a viral invasion of their tron-like world.  The game is a big nod to video games of old (Airstrikes are brought in by Space Invaders; the main squad units play a bit like Syndicate or Cannon Fodder, the Darwinian's themselves are led around like lemmings) and plays vaguely like an RTS.  Very vaguely.

First of all, for the "basic" units (ie. Programs) that you run, don't cost anything to make.  If they get destroyed you can just build another at no loss.  The trick is you can only have so many running at one time (The game starts at 3 but can be upgraded to as much as five).  Secondly, your main unit (the squad), is comprised of 3 to 5 members and can use rapid-fire lasers to kill the virus, along with your choice of grenades (good for long range attacks but require a bit of timing), rockets (shorter range but instantly explode) and the aforementioned airstrikes. (Take awhile to finally drop, but do a LOT of damage)  Also to note, your units have pratically no AI: which makes sense because they're extremly basic programs in the story.  You control the squad directly.

Thirdly, you can't control the Darwinian's themselves.  They are seperate entities.  You CAN however use a program to promote them into officers, who will then give a GOTO command to any Darwinian's near him.  They'll head straight to where you have 'em sent, regardless of terrain or how badly infected the area is.  Darwinian's are required to run various facilities in the world (Built prior to the viral invasion).

Darwinians, like all living things in the world of Darwinia have a soul: a piece of digital DNA that coorsponds to one of the 10,000 machines the world of Darwinina is composed of.  In order to get more Darwinians, you have to put the corrupted souls you get from destroying the virus into incubators so they can be reborn as Darwinians.

Anywho, that's pretty much the gist of the game.  There's a demo up at http://www.darwinia.co.uk/ along with a guide to the game that doesn't suck like mine. :D  I had fun with it, though it could have easily been a bit longer. (At one point there's a side mission that has no actual effect on the storyline.  I wonder why they couldn't do more like them)  I think I've rambled on long enough.  I recommend everyone check out the demo and if you like the game, order it from Introversion, and feel good about giving your 40 bucks directly to "the last of the bedroom developers" (All four of 'em :D) instead of some big faceless publisher. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 04:18:43 am by UndeadScottsman »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Darwinia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 10:48:34 am »
Wow, that actually sounds very very cool. What is the "point" of the game? Are there levels and such? Or do you just play and explore?

I am going to download the demo and check this one out.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
Each level has it's own objective (Usually involving activating certain buildings or getting a certain ammount of Darwinian's to a certain location).  Killing the virus plays a big part too.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:03:38 pm »
I'm getting a bit of a Tron vibe here.  Looks pretty very, though.  Rock on.  -leeman

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 03:18:43 pm »
Darwinia is an RTS as heart, placed in a Tron world, with a hint of shoot em up.  The basis of the game revolves around Dawrinians, little 2-d computer people that are quite mindless.  THey are the brainchild of a Dr. Sepulveda, who has recently had a virus invade his serene world.  This virus has been consuming and corrupting all of the major parts of his sytem, from the basic functions all the way down to the Darwinian manufacturing process.  Your job is to lead a coup on the virii and free the computer from tyranny :).  You control just a few types of units, a basic squad of gun toting avatars, a general engineer class, a tank/turret, and a few others.  The gameplay is original.  The game world is beautiful.  There is SO much eye candy and the poor Darwinians are just so darned cute, running around helplessly.  In addition, you use a GESTURE BASED SYSTEM to create your squads and take over the lands.  There are a series of upgrades your units can undergo, even down to the Darwinians themselves, think of a very very stupid AI equipped with laser guns and grenades and you have the chaos that is "fully upgraded Darwinians." 

Darwinia is short,but it's a heck of a ride.  It also comes with full mod support but currently no multiplayer.  It's made by Introversion Software, the makers of Uplink, a hacking faux-sim.  It's going to be a cult classis, no doubt about it.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 02:25:44 pm »
Darwinia is an RTS as heart, placed in a Tron world, with a hint of shoot em up.  The basis of the game revolves around Dawrinians, little 2-d computer people that are quite mindless.  THey are the brainchild of a Dr. Sepulveda, who has recently had a virus invade his serene world.  This virus has been consuming and corrupting all of the major parts of his sytem, from the basic functions all the way down to the Darwinian manufacturing process.  Your job is to lead a coup on the virii and free the computer from tyranny :).  You control just a few types of units, a basic squad of gun toting avatars, a general engineer class, a tank/turret, and a few others.  The gameplay is original.  The game world is beautiful.  There is SO much eye candy and the poor Darwinians are just so darned cute, running around helplessly.  In addition, you use a GESTURE BASED SYSTEM to create your squads and take over the lands.  There are a series of upgrades your units can undergo, even down to the Darwinians themselves, think of a very very stupid AI equipped with laser guns and grenades and you have the chaos that is "fully upgraded Darwinians." 

Darwinia is short,but it's a heck of a ride.  It also comes with full mod support but currently no multiplayer.  It's made by Introversion Software, the makers of Uplink, a hacking faux-sim.  It's going to be a cult classis, no doubt about it.

ya, that sums it up pretty well. I loved the demo, but I'm guna wait untill it come over to the U.S.. but if it does not then I'll just have to order it. :)

Offline Jonny5

• Atari Combat Vet
  • The One
    • View Profile
    • Jons Blogs
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 01:45:05 am »
after completing the demo i was pretty impressed by the game, overall i found the simple graphics and addictive gameplay quite compelling. plus i noticed that a few of the games units, like the engineer, were taken from tron, which is an added bonus because thats one of my fave movies ::)
"there is no spoon"

Offline James Shields

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'm the best of the best you can forget the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 10:35:52 am »
I thought the game was ok but to be honest it got kinda repetative.
Violets are blue, roses are red.
I'm coming aboard prepare to eat lead.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 11:50:25 am »
I liked the demo might buy the game.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!