0 (0%)
Buildings
0 (0%)
Robots
3 (15%)
History
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Photos  (Read 53277 times)

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Photos
« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:20 pm »
Really sorry for inadvertently double posting, but these questions have been really bugging me.

The size of the Photos Empire is really confusing. Okay, firstly how long exactly have they been in space with hyperdrive technology? Now that that's out of the way, I can continue. So how big is the Empire anyway? You stated that it controls over two thousand star systems, but the Milky Way Galaxy contains 200-400 billion stars, a humbling number. Then again, I have no idea how big the Gaming Steve Galaxy is: Apparently, there are some galaxies out there with a mere 10 million stars, and there is such a thing as a spiral dwarf galaxy. But even assuming that this galaxy only has, say, 2 billion stars (giving it a convenient diameter of 900 light years) two thousand is pretty small. Of course, you could just be referring to the number of habitable systems, which fortunately makes a lot more sense but raises even more questions. Good for you I won't ask those right now.

So according to the galactic cartography I've been researching, the Photos and Perrachi are literally on the exact opposite sides of the galaxy. Now this makes sense for the current Nameless RP: The Nameless first attacked species in the general vicinity of the Photos and Yuuniverse guys. But in historical context it's absurd. How could the Photos reach the other side of the galaxy so easily, and why would they even care about it? Maybe you could retcon their location to somewhere around Beyon; that's a bit more sensible. Besides, retconning when it comes to maps is more acceptable than retconning history around here, unless you've got a really, really good reason and it's nothing major.

So what is the extent of their weaponry's capabilities? You talked about a humanoid mecha ship a few pages back that could literally drain an entire star's energy and use it as a beam. Sorry, but... no! That just doesn't work! The sun puts out more energy in one second than the USA would use in several centuries at current rates! And stars get to be billions of years old! Phew, I seriously need to calm down. I don't mean to be rude at all, seriously! You're a nice person! I'm just getting myself worked up over one little detail. Is it safe to assume that they're around the tech level of most races in those sci-fi FPS games like Mass Effect? (Side note: I'm sorry for being hard on you in the past because the Photos are humanoid. I didn't understand games like those, which are clearly your inspiration. I'm perfectly fine with them now, because they're the only humanoids around anyway.)

I hope you can answer these questions in great detail. Looking forward to any future info on everyone's favorite non-avian purple soldiers! ;) Oh my god, those little smileys are so associated with Yuu I think it's his face. Every time I make a post... He's watching me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:58:59 pm by UFO King »
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
  • Ahhhh....nothing quite like the basics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »
To clear things up, the thing that can drain the energy from a star is Phitire, who are at least partially ascended, so factor in a little lee-way there. It's a fairly rare too, and the drain-a-star-and-shoop-da-whoop attack is rarely used considering you essentially ruin the entire star system by removing it's star, causing gravity problems, a loss of all star-based light and heat to all planets in the system. It's designed for taking out colossal bodies such as planets or Luminary Assault Carriers (which are, if you missed it, the size of YV Canis Majoris.) For reference, look up YV Canis Majoris on Wikipdia and look at the picture that compares it to our sun. It shatters your concept of huge starship, one of the reasons I got so pissed when everyone got pissed over the Leviathan, which was slightly bigger than earth, when the Nameless are packing ships as big as the largest star known to mankind!
The size of the Empire, as I've given it, is counting the number of planets the Photos have developed to at least Medieval-scale population base. That's not taking into consideration mining outposts or small, fledgling colonies, which are but a few isolated hundreds in population.
The reason the Photos can get across the galaxy so easily is that when they were attacked by the Zeront prior to their reaching of space, they crammed all this tech and post-development have spent mind-boggling amounts of money and time on this technology.
Weapons technology depends from weapon to weapon. I'm assuming you mean their warship weaponry, in which case they have three main weapons: Plasma Cannons, Antimatter Cannons, and Demolisher Torpedoes (not the big ones, the smaller conventional ones)
The Plasma guns are moderately powerful and boast a high rate of fire. The biggest part of them is the huge masses of fire that come from a single salvo of shots from these weapons. The model used is the same venerable model that was first equipped on their warships, but updated to more modern standards with the newer technologies developed by the Photos.
Their Antimatter weaponry, reverse-engineered from Phitire technology, is powerful, but requires an antimatter generator to function. These things are huge and only fit in capital ships. Oh, and they make a huge boom when they go critical. The weapons themselves are powerful, as you'd imagine for firing bolts of antimatter, but fire slowly, overheat rather quickly, and chew up a lot of energy.
Most ships also carry Demolisher Anti-ship Torpedo launchers. While the ammunition stores are limited, they can make a good way to soften up enemy ships at a distance, provided they can get passed any point defenses that are smart enough to pick out the real missiles from the decoys that are launched from it.
There are also various other weapons mounted on specific classes of ships that I'll not go into here, go back and read their profiles for more info.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »
To UFO:

scale has always been an issue here. some people give their people ships the size of the moon, and millions of planets. some (me) have just twelve worlds.

You have to remember a thousand planets is still a massive amount of area when not compared to the sixe of the whole fushin universe. That means huge amounts of time and resources getting to that point. plus hundreds of thousands of planets is kind of pointless scale expansion. it doesn't do anything but reduce the value and impact of individual places and characters.

Logistics in science fiction should be remembered unless it's cooler to forget them.

That isn't cooler.

But in historical context it's absurd. How could the Photos reach the other side of the galaxy so easily, and why would they even care about it?

Because they have FTL, probably. no matter how many limits you put on it, its still a deus ex machina for traveling that gets you anywere and lets you meet anyone you damn well please. I don't use it myself.
 (the rhino-beetle Thespians travel the old fashion way, and they don't see the problem with crossing galaxies)
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2011, 11:52:11 pm »
I thought we had limits on "FTL", and that both hyperdrives and warp drives don't literally go faster than light. It would still take the average Perrachi starship around 90 hours to go from one edge of Perrachi space to the other, and that isn't counting the stops you've got to make. While the Perrachi may control a relatively vast swath of the galaxy, remember that less than 1% of the star systems have been explored.

Here's a good idea from Mass Effect: Most star systems in the galaxy haven't been fully explored, so "bounties" are paid to anybody who's willing to do so! That opens up a nice big economic niche for travelers.

To GG, those Phitire guys sure are convenient. Are they still around? By the way, I was reading some past descriptions of antimatter on your part, and I'd like you to remember that antimatter 1. will immediately explode upon touching normal matter, and 2. you'd only need a tablespoonful's worth to destroy New York City. So I imagine that the guns use up a lot of energy and antimatter containment within electromagnetic fields.

The Nameless have a ship the size of VY Canis Majoris? Well, that alone makes my brain want to throttle whoever made Tengen Toppa Guru Laga-daga-dingdong, but surely that must be their only ship. It's far, far more mind-bogglingly colossal than it needs to be already. Hell, it has no defenses! There are absolutely zero ways you could conceal that monstrosity! If it's really that big, it could conquer the galaxy in a week! It could bowl over entire star systems! It has got to be the STUPIDEST, MOST LOGIC-SPITTING-UPON thing this forum has ever seen! GRAGHFRAGHLBRGHLBAGGHL! WHY? DOES? IT? EXIIIIST?! THIS! MAKES! NO! *inhale* SEEEEEEEENSE!!

YUU IS WATCHING TOO MUCH ANIME! ALL SILLY AND NO SENSE MAKES JACK A DULL BOY!

I never thought anybody could possibly stir me into my scientific "nitpicky" RAGE of the past, but Yuu did it! Somehow, Yuu did it!

*breathe*

So, um...

How long have the Photos been in space again?

Offline GroxGlitch

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 02, 2011, 12:02:05 am »
No, apparently the Nameless have hundreds of these things, being created for whomever-their-leaders-are. Oh, and they launch hundreds of miniature versions of themselves the size of planets.

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 02, 2011, 12:19:32 am »
GYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAKK

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 02, 2011, 12:25:18 am »
YUU IS WATCHING TOO MUCH ANIME! ALL SILLY AND NO SENSE MAKES JACK A DULL BOY!

I have to sig that.  Been trying to tell him that for a while.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 02, 2011, 12:36:42 am »
GYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAKK
Oh, and don't forget some of their leaders are almost as big as the ships.
Now you see the need for antimatter weapons and the like. Taking out even one ship the size of YV Canis friggin' Majoris with even nukespam would be impossible.
I hate to hate, but there's a reason Anime doesn't work in these kindsa things.
Though I shouldn't really talk too much, I am a major 40k buff and some of my stuff can be shot full of so many holes it makes swiss cheese look smoothe and solid. But still....
YV Canis Majoris.....*whistles*....and we jumped all over that guy who made a star-system-size ship a while ago. This is like a billion times that size. I've had issues with this from the start, the scale makes it totally impractical, both realistically and roleplay wise.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 02, 2011, 03:07:08 am »
Ship that size is unnecessary, for one. There's no reason for a single artificial entity even the size of a typical main-sequence star, a pinprick in the presence of a hypergiant like VY Canis Majoris. A single death-star sized machine completely devoted to weapons power should be able to conquer an entire galaxy in itself, theoretically. The only reason Talsenreave is as big as it is is mainly because it's gigantic cargo bay, living habitat and power requirements. Making a ship the size of "Majoris" would probably require the power output of the entire galaxy to function >_<

There's a time where even the harshest nitpicking borders on common sense.

I actually liked the idea of the star system ship of the Reen. Too bad we scared that guy away ._.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline GroxGlitch

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2011, 03:29:38 am »
Well come on. According to my number crunching, that guy's ship would have crushed itself under it's own gravity, as I explained in that thread.

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2011, 03:52:56 am »
would have crushed itself under it's own gravity
Maybe their secret plan was to become super-advanced quantum lifeforms that live in black holes. But they're not smart enough to ascend if they're stupid enough to build the structure, and if they build the structure they can't possibly be smart enough to know how to do it. Maybe some Nauceans were bored and gave them the blueprints a thousand years ago, and a religion based on building it sprung up.

So how long have the Photos been spacefaring (Yuri Gagarin) and how long have they had the hyperdrive (Zefram Cochrane)?

Offline Yuu

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #611 on: October 02, 2011, 05:58:46 am »
Oh my god, those little smileys are so associated with Yuu I think it's his face. Every time I make a post... He's watching me.

That's not necessarily far from the truth now isn't it?

;)

I hope you can answer these questions in great detail. Looking forward to any future info on everyone's favorite non-avian purple soldiers! ;)

Mind = Blown

I... What... How did I not see that before?

(the rhino-beetle Thespians travel the old fashion way, and they don't see the problem with crossing galaxies)

I almost spit out my drink!

It seems morning stars aren't the only massive balls hanging down from a Graidient's exoskeleton.

Here's a good idea from Mass Effect: Most star systems in the galaxy haven't been fully explored, so "bounties" are paid to anybody who's willing to do so! That opens up a nice big economic niche for travelers.

Don't we already have that, which is kinda why tracking pirates and other assorted threats pretty difficult?

Also, I seem to recall that there's a quadrant that's barely been explored at all. It's home to Darth Greivi's peoples, the lower right quadrant?

but surely that must be their only ship.

In that case, I'd have to say sorry...

>_>

It's far, far more mind-bogglingly colossal than it needs to be already.

It's basically a glorified yacht created by guys with technology somewhere between the Culture and the Xeelee, and retrofitted for military use.

It's designed to be big.

There's also the fact that they need to be big to store all that processing power. Crossing the voids between filaments is pretty hardware intensive, after all. And that's not factoring in the people with equally big ships that are, for one reason or another, all out to get you.

Hell, it has no defenses!

It does.

Particle barriers, phasing out, space bending, EM barriers, hyperlinks (aka judicious use of portals), surgical precision particle barriers, among others.

There are absolutely zero ways you could conceal that monstrosity!

Unless it phases out into another dimension completely or creates a pocket of isolated time-space, like some methods of FTL.

Also, being visible for everyone to see was kinda the point before they got commissioned for war.

If it's really that big, it could conquer the galaxy in a week!

Which is exactly what it does, when "They" aren't being drowned by Olympic swimming pools full of hubris at the time.

Or unless the galaxy in question also has Starships or things of equal threat.

It has got to be the STUPIDEST, MOST LOGIC-SPITTING-UPON thing this forum has ever seen! GRAGHFRAGHLBRGHLBAGGHL! WHY? DOES? IT? EXIIIIST?! THIS! MAKES! NO! *inhale* SEEEEEEEENSE!!

It does, it's just that it happens to be an Out of Context Problem for this particular galaxy.

Kinda like this guy.

It also doesn't help that they're basically the "Boss Monsters / Dungeons" of the week.

No, apparently the Nameless have hundreds of these things, being created for whomever-their-leaders-are. Oh, and they launch hundreds of miniature versions of themselves the size of planets.

About a million, actually.

Though, considering the scale of the conflict "They" got themselves into, it's not really that much of a stretch.

And then you factor in the fact that, aside from defending "Their" territory against legitimately threatening enemy ships, "They" are also conducting multiple active expeditions going in all directions.

They're pretty stretched thin at the moment and are slowly dwindling in number due to attrition.

Oh, and don't forget some of their leaders are almost as big as the ships.

Only Bathariadne, who happens to belong to a different race, and as such really isn't a good comparison.

The biggest Atheim is only the size of a terrestrial planet, with everyone else ranging from moon-sized to skyscraper-sized.

I hate to hate, but there's a reason Anime doesn't work in these kindsa things.

I didn't base it on anime.

Though I shouldn't really talk too much, I am a major 40k buff and some of my stuff can be shot full of so many holes it makes swiss cheese look smoothe and solid. But still....

The Daemon Princes of Chaos would like to have a word with you.   ;D ;)

....and we jumped all over that guy who made a star-system-size ship a while ago.

Because the tech disparity regarding the ship's size wasn't really conducive.

Now, if he'd stated that they had tech of a similar scale, or even just on the same level as Halo: Cryptum's Forerunners...

I've had issues with this from the start, the scale makes it totally impractical, realistically

Unless you're technology is on the same scale as some of sci-fi's heavy hitters.

I've had issues with this from the start, the scale makes it totally impractical, both realistically and roleplay wise.

You do have to remember that they weren't meant to be practical in the sense that player characters's ships are practical.

They're mobile dungeon levels, like Unicron.

They are literally designed to be taken out by a coalition of good guys either by overwhelming it's exterior or blowing it up from within.

Ship that size is unnecessary, for one. There's no reason for a single artificial entity even the size of a typical main-sequence star, a pinprick in the presence of a hypergiant like VY Canis Majoris.

See above.

A single death-star sized machine completely devoted to weapons power should be able to conquer an entire galaxy in itself, theoretically.

Unless the galaxy's security force contains ships the size of star systems, which is kinda the case with the guys the LACs are up against elsewhere.

That, and their original purpose aside, you'd generally want to pack a lot of stuff if your nation's foreign policy happens to involve travelling to places several billion lightyears away from home.

The only reason Talsenreave is as big as it is is mainly because it's gigantic cargo bay, living habitat and power requirements.

Why yes, that also happens to be some of the reasons why LACs are the size they are, mostly the power requirements.

Making a ship the size of "Majoris" would probably require the power output of the entire galaxy to function >_<

There are such things as artificially sustained supermassive blackholes.

There's a time where even the harshest nitpicking borders on common sense.

While I generally agree with that sentiment, some research and rationalization on the LACs would show that this isn't one of those times.

I mean, no offense to the Talsenreave, the thing is pretty awesome.  :) But, at least one of the reasons LACs, and Starships in general, are big is because traversing the universe is just that power consuming, let alone when you're trying to fight equally sized ships. Compare that to the moon-sized Talsenreave which can cross entire universes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:05:32 am by Yuu »

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #612 on: October 05, 2011, 02:26:13 am »
Really, why?

No, seriously, why?

Why do you need a million of those? Because of the giant glowing 8-balls? Why do they exist? No reason? It's broken circular logic. I think. Like a mangled frisbee.

Since this is based on religious parallels, I'd like to quote one of my favorite passages:

Blessed are the scholars, for they do not indulge in spaceship cock contests.
Sagan 13:37

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 05, 2011, 03:35:12 am »
I was unaware that other forces in the galaxy even had "ships the size of star systems". This is getting out of hand, the tech level is way too high and the size of these battle stations and their technology is simply too gigantic to brush off. Hubris? Really? We're not telling a Greek myth here. Not to hate, but if that's their big weakness then they're obviously too stupid to have built it all. Maybe Hactar didn't just interfere with the Krikkits...

Let me put in plain English for Yuu. For us, a battlestation the size of Pluto would be a big ol' monstrosity that would take a whole RP figuring out how to take it down. Millions of VY Canis Majoris-sized things are just stupid. That's your perfect word right there: stupid. These Nameless guys are stupid. Why build them? Why so hubrisy? Why can't they build a dang AI with the common sense of a second grader to deduce that with a tech level between the goddamn Culture and the holy motherf**king whoa nelly baryonic matter god XEELEE, you can just shred a galaxy's defenses like a hot knife through butter? Why no computer without these unholy levels of arrogance required to override all the smart sections of their brains, if they even have any?

A Big Dumb Object is bad enough; we don't need millions of them piloted by a species whose very existence is such a paradox that space and time should be shredded by their mere presence. Absolute stupidity and absolute intelligence combine, and the result is so stupid! Hubris is the only pillar supporting this nonsense, and it is nonsensical in itself. Tone these guys down, seriously. The Communicants were far less advanced, and look what we got out of them!

The lesson: Batman vs. a common criminal can in fact make for a much better story than the Fantastic Four vs. Mr. Godlike Alien Being of the Week.

Now can I please get some info on Photese space travel? That would be nice.

Oh, and Yuu? Please, no more sentence-by-sentence quotefests. Those things are getting tiring.

Offline Yuu

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #614 on: October 05, 2011, 08:45:31 am »
In the interest of not littering the thread, as well as leaving an example of what not to do, I moved this little wonder here.

Also, there seems to be lesson learned there about not hyping stuff up.

Regardless, we still love you, Will! ^^
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:09:36 pm by Yuu »