0 (0%)
Buildings
0 (0%)
Robots
3 (15%)
History
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Photos  (Read 74003 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
Re: Photos
« Reply #585 on: August 26, 2011, 07:57:04 pm »
The GamePlayer
Because there isn't anything else to play on.
When the average Photos has the inkling to play a mindless video game, the ubiquitous GamePlayer is what they reach for. The system has a 8 inch by 6 inch screen and a simple button layout: A D-Pad on the left side and a pair of buttons on the right. The more advanced version has shoulder buttons, a pair Joypads instead of a D-Pad, and four buttons in a drastically different layout, with the normal buttons behind the shoulder buttons and a joypad on each side. Despite the unit's relatively small size, the graphics are nearly photo-realistic: ironically, the games are usually very shallow compared to the graphics.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #586 on: August 27, 2011, 07:19:48 am »
- the graphics are nearly photo-realistic -

Kewl GrafixTM saves the day yet again!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 05, 2011, 04:22:01 pm »
Ok, first off, some eye candy (If you'd be so bold -or so foolish- as to address it such:

Made as practice with my new graphics tablet...ah, didn't come out as intended. Ah well, learning experience still.

Arrowhead-class Cruiser
The Arrowhead-class is not very imaginative. Seeing the positive track record of their dreadnoughts, the Photos took the design...and shrunk it. Into a cruiser. Packing about 75% of the fire power in a two-class-size smaller vessel opens up a lot of logistical options for the penny-pinching fleet commander.
...That and you have the fact that the opposing fleet commander will be trying to figure out why the stink there are two sizes of the same ship in the opposing fleet  :D

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 06, 2011, 03:08:57 am »
How did you do the sun?

...That and you have the fact that the opposing fleet commander will be trying to figure out why the stink there are two sizes of the same ship in the opposing fleet  :D

S.H.R.I.N.K. beams, perhaps?   ;D

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:51 pm »
Splinter-class Missile Cruiser
The Splinter-class Missile Frigate is an expensive but horrendously powerful vessel highly effective against larger starships and planets. The fire huge numbers of Splinter Missiles, from whence they get their name. A Splitter Missile is a large, fast missile that, on approach to it's target, will break open into dozens of smaller missiles. While not particularly powerful, these submunitions do have a respectable charge for their size. When a large salvo of Splinter Missiles open, the result is usually painful to watch for the target vessel. The sheer volume of submunitions makes it hard for Point Defenses to stop, but their unusually tight groupings make them easy for explosive, flak-like weapons. The reason for this tight grouping is such: The missiles are programmed to impact such that the shock waves from their impact overlap and rip open the impact area. Between the impact detonations, the now-gaping hole in the armor plating of your ship, and the following salvo to worry about, most ships don't last too long. On the flip side, smaller ships tend to escape the armor-shreading effect, simply due to lack of sufficient surface area. Splinter Missiles are also unpleasant for orbital bombardment, drowning an area in explosive submunitions.
Don't think that Splinter-classes are unable to handle smaller ships or hardened targets, however.
Splinter Cruisers also carry a reserve of Antimatter Torpedoes. While this reserve is much smaller than the munition stores for their primary fire, this is none the less still very effective against the right target. When a Splinter Cruiser loads all tubes with Antimatter Torpedoes and fires them all, it tends to destroy any enemy ship unlucky enough to be infront of the thing...provided it doesn't blow itself up in the process. Due to the risk of two missiles colliding and detonating in the Cruiser's face, Splinters rarely launch all their tubes at once, they at the least try to stagger the launch.
Overall, though rare due to the need to resupply and their manufacturing cost, Splinter Cruisers are effective warships if kept out of harm's way, considering their light shielding and thin armor.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 19, 2011, 07:39:03 pm »
Where do the Photos get these ridiculous quantities of antimatter? Did they make a trade agreement with the Kratair? And I don't know if tiny missiles would be effective in orbital bombardment if the planet had enough atmosphere. A colony, on the other hand, now that would be fantastic target practice! Paper-thin defenses!
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »
The Photos get their aptly-put "Ridiculous Quantities of Antimatter" through technologies left by their ancestor race, the Phitire, who made extensive use of Antimatter weaponry before moving onto more exotic (though ironically sometimes less effective temporal weaponry. Weapons that turn hostile ships to rusted dust and whatnot.) I didn't ever give an exact principal behind it because, let's face it, whenever I try to explain something like that out, I just end up putting my foot in my mouth >.<

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 19, 2011, 09:08:09 pm »
So the Phitire left behind big huge antimatter warehouses? Alright, I can buy that. Better go read up on the history of these Phitire guys and find out exactly who they are and what happened to them.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 19, 2011, 09:10:05 pm »
So the Phitire left behind big huge antimatter warehouses? Alright, I can buy that. Better go read up on the history of these Phitire guys and find out exactly who they are and what happened to them.
No, they didn't leave behind masses of antimatter, they left behind a single ship with working copies of the technology that they knew the Photos would be able to reverse-engineer, and used their temporal tech to ensure that only the Photos got to it.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2011, 09:25:04 pm »
Ah.
Technology; MEDICAL: Photos medical technology is, for the most part, geared towards quick healing. One of the most common medical items is Medi-gel, a gelatinous compound that triggers cellular repair and almost 70 times the normal rate; a broken bone that would usually take 3 weeks to heal would be completely healed in about two days with a precise injection into the area around the break. New serums and other medicines are in the works all the time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't medi-gel from Mass Effect? Then again, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better idea for military medical supplies. I think it's alright to have that.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 19, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »
Not to mention the potential for something else entirely, if you know what I mean.

Also, on the Splitter Missile, it'd be awesome if the first missile that makes contact analyzes the resonant frequency of the target and relays it to the others. That way each cluster could impact at precisely the right moment so as to cause the target to shatter from the resulting overall frequency.

Sure, it'd probably only work against primarily non-composite hulls, but the potential for more hurt is still there in case the enemy is lazy enough to just slap on some basic plates and be done with it.  :D

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 19, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »
Not to mention the potential for something else entirely, if you know what I mean.
No, I do not.

What's all this technobabble about composite hulls and frequency? Is it some Mass Effect lingo not in my personal dictionary of nerdy jargon?
Heh, I just wanted to say lingo and jargon.

By the way, do the Photos still do that whole genocide-on-rebellion thing? Did they ever?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 20, 2011, 05:27:06 am »
No, I do not.

This might help.

What's all this technobabble about composite hulls and frequency? Is it some Mass Effect lingo not in my personal dictionary of nerdy jargon?

Mechanical Resonance...

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 20, 2011, 06:06:40 am »
Ah.
Technology; MEDICAL: Photos medical technology is, for the most part, geared towards quick healing. One of the most common medical items is Medi-gel, a gelatinous compound that triggers cellular repair and almost 70 times the normal rate; a broken bone that would usually take 3 weeks to heal would be completely healed in about two days with a precise injection into the area around the break. New serums and other medicines are in the works all the time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't medi-gel from Mass Effect? Then again, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better idea for military medical supplies. I think it's alright to have that.
medical items is Medi-gel, a gelatinous compound that triggers cellular rep
is Medi-gel
Medi-gel
Why is it all the good and not incredibly cheesy names are already taken?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 20, 2011, 06:41:00 am »

Mechanical Resonance...
Hm, I didn't know about that. Color me stumped.

GG, it's a big world out there. Perrachi was already some sort of obscure Latin American name before I came up with it.