Author Topic: Info and Screenshots of Galactic Adventures!  (Read 121969 times)

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Info and Screenshots of Galactic Adventures!
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2009, 08:47:07 pm »
I remember the Sim city 3000 unlimited scenario editor. Well, not really. But I do remember that I couldn't make heads or tails of the thing and so I never used it (perhaps because I was little and had the attention span of a lightning bolt. But still'). That is the kind of hard I am thinking of, and I never did use spore's music editor, but that is probably just me. I couldn't make anything useful off it, but I never was all that motivated to try either. Again, just me but a tutorial for an advanced program makes it easier to understand but that won't make it a snap. Did anyone else pick up a mod kit for a game you liked just to put it down again?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:52:43 pm by Null »

Offline Genusaus

• Dragster Diehard
  • "She Who Thirsts"
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2009, 08:58:53 pm »
What about Procedurally Generated adventures!

Wait I forgot... when exactly did Procedural Generation and Spore split apart?
The power of purple! The Hundred Years War, which was won by the French started on the year of 1337.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2009, 09:04:34 pm »

Hahaha, did you draw that?  That's pretty good :D  Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Nah, not me.
It's an edit of the original (right here), basically the perfect example of a troll.  :P

I swear I saw it posted on the forum somewhere.

Buuuut anyway...
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »
The editor for it must be so watered down you can't even place more than 10 buildings on a planet. What's worse is that they don't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
From what I've seen from the videos, it's 10 different buildings (and 10 vehicles, creatures, etc.) on that planet, but you can place as many of them as the complexity limit will allow.  But yeah, I'll repeat what I said before.  If you don't like Spore before, this isn't going to make you like it now. 

It never did.  How do you think all the content (individually) fits in a 30kB PNG?

Offline SkyShadowing

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Fearsome Shadowling... dancing
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2009, 05:30:49 am »
If you look in one of the videos, you'll see there are arrows at the bottom of the pages, thus allowing for more than ten types of each thing on a planet.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2009, 05:40:57 am »
What about Procedurally Generated adventures!

When you started to believe that procedural programming is another word for "awesome diversity", while it is just a programming method that is still in the core of Spore's programming.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2009, 06:10:07 am »
If you look in one of the videos, you'll see there are arrows at the bottom of the pages, thus allowing for more than ten types of each thing on a planet.

Yeah, you're right.  I guess the arrows only appear when you fill up the first ten slots and need more pages, since they're not there initially.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2009, 07:03:30 am »

Yeah, you're right.  I guess the arrows only appear when you fill up the first ten slots and need more pages, since they're not there initially.

Yeah, I noticed it too when I first saw the video :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2009, 10:02:21 am »

Which means.... that there is a potentially unlimited number of things you can have on a planet. Well, not truly unlimited, but the limit is likely a high number, a few hundred. The limit definetly would be lower than 1000 since there just aren't going to be a thousand of any particular object on a planet.

I'm thinking of all kinds of possibilities. Hopefully we can make tunnel/cave like areas, just stick a large roof over a ditch in the ground. Although there had better be light sources (either on the cieling or carried by our creature) or our creatures are going to have to develop night vision.

Also, I believe that this could open up all kinds of modding/item creation possibilities. Depending on how easily this stuff can be modded.

I remember some time back that someone had an idea for a sort of arena to fight our creatures in, I can see this happening, not quite sure how though.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:31 am »

Which means.... that there is a potentially unlimited number of things you can have on a planet. Well, not truly unlimited, but the limit is likely a high number, a few hundred. The limit definetly would be lower than 1000 since there just aren't going to be a thousand of any particular object on a planet.

I'm thinking of all kinds of possibilities. Hopefully we can make tunnel/cave like areas, just stick a large roof over a ditch in the ground. Although there had better be light sources (either on the cieling or carried by our creature) or our creatures are going to have to develop night vision.

Also, I believe that this could open up all kinds of modding/item creation possibilities. Depending on how easily this stuff can be modded.

I remember some time back that someone had an idea for a sort of arena to fight our creatures in, I can see this happening, not quite sure how though.

I was looking over that art book that came with the Galactic edition and there was this planet that had cheese-like brown rocks and it looked awesome, I guess that with the planet editor we'll have some kind of control over rocks. If not, we can always make rock structures with the building editor and then place them around which will allow for awesome planets :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline FutureFilms

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2009, 12:45:47 pm »
I found another preview (its in news):

Spore Expansion: Galactic Adventures

Also, DarkDragon, one of your links in the spore mod index at sporemods takes you to the wrong one.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2009, 01:09:29 pm »
Sounds like there is a huge amount of control over the planets we create. I'm not sure if the author of that newest article isn't exaggerating a little bit.

They (Maxis I think) are concerned about the same thing we are as far as quality. We can always pick stuff we made here.

The overall description of the stuff sounds like it's relatively complex. Theres stuff like setting the attitude/pose (angry, scared, aggressive, pompus, I may be elaborating here) and there is mention of a planet covering city (Coruscant or Beyon City anyone? :) ).

Still, making a quality scenario/adventure also means taking the time in making it. I hope they don't do something like scripts which they had for the AOE series scenario creators. I liked making stuff with it, but found the script stuff kind of clunky.

Offline FutureFilms

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2009, 01:11:37 pm »
With new planets you can first choose your atmosphere and your temperature and some other option which may be sea level, you have all the normal terrain tools from the space age plus more, and you can choose exactly where EVERY goes, including flora.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
Well, depending on the scenario I'm making, I may just scatter the flora at random. Still, I can see how we could make dense forests/jungles using that, which btw, creature stage is definetly lacking. Yea there are nice wooded groves and occasionally a small forest, but no sense of a thick forest or jungle.

Also, an adventure planet perhaps doesn't have to be missions, it can just be a place of beauty.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2009, 01:18:08 pm »

Or maybe there is a 11th slot, and nothing else.

THOU SHALT NOT HYPE!!!
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D