Author Topic: Info and Screenshots of Galactic Adventures!  (Read 127078 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Info and Screenshots of Galactic Adventures!
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2009, 06:33:47 am »
You don't actually have to listen closely, you just have to listen.  :P

So, if they can do that for space stage, they can do that for creature phase.  I think that could easily make creature phase more fun.  They'll most likely do a creature phase expansion next, if they are sticking with single stages for expansions.  Though, I wouldn't mind a miscellaneous expansion which adds a bunch of features to the entire game.  Things that carry over from one stage to the next and have more meaning. 

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:52 am »
If you guys listen closely at the video posted at SpaceOddity's blog, the size of the parts matter! If you had short claw-blades, then you use less energy and swiping is a quick attack. If you had large claw-blades, then it would use a lot of energy but it would be terribly efficient.

Cool, so there will be some strategy at play here.

Also, in one of the videos, there is some kind of insect summon attack (it looks like a cloud of flying insects). I didn't really expect Maxis to put magic based attacks in the game. But then again, given how technologically advanced space stage is suppoused to be, we can always say it's a swarm of nanomachines or a swarm of microbots.

I know, I know, Spore isn't exactly realistic, but I didn't expect them to go as far as magic. However, you know the saying, 'An advanced technology will seem like magic to those who don't understand it'. That's not the exact saying, but you guys probably get the idea and that saying could apply here for the space stage.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2009, 07:36:07 am »
If you guys listen closely at the video posted at SpaceOddity's blog, the size of the parts matter! If you had short claw-blades, then you use less energy and swiping is a quick attack. If you had large claw-blades, then it would use a lot of energy but it would be terribly efficient.

Cool, so there will be some strategy at play here.

Also, in one of the videos, there is some kind of insect summon attack (it looks like a cloud of flying insects). I didn't really expect Maxis to put magic based attacks in the game. But then again, given how technologically advanced space stage is suppoused to be, we can always say it's a swarm of nanomachines or a swarm of microbots.

I know, I know, Spore isn't exactly realistic, but I didn't expect them to go as far as magic. However, you know the saying, 'An advanced technology will seem like magic to those who don't understand it'. That's not the exact saying, but you guys probably get the idea and that saying could apply here for the space stage.

They could easily store the insectoids in some sort of breeding kit and dispensing them when needed. But I would agree that using small, flying nanotechnologcial drones resembling insects would be more plausible than using insects from Earth. But also, they're summoning them, not magically making them.
Ichthyostega

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2009, 08:22:57 am »
Personally what I'd be interested in in a new expansion would be a space equivelent of Epics.  For that purpose, I invented Cosmic Horrors.
According to Spore, Epics go through several stages-
Lone creatures.  When you extinct a species, sometimes some of them will be left behind.
Evventually, one or more of these may become rogues.
Occasionally, a Rogue will become an Epic.  Very rarely, an Epic will get hit with a mysterious ray from the sun.  This begins his cosmic horror transformation.
The Epic will, after a few years, become a Cosmic Epic.  Cosmic Epics float on their planet, are a lot creepier than epics (their legs are procedurally taken off as well as their eyes, and all parts are warped to creepier versions), and have about 2.5 times as much health.  Their attacks on space ships are several times as strong.   A few more years, and it will become an Epic Horror.  They still just float on a planet, but they have 10 times as much health as a Cosmic Epic and can one-hit weaker spaceships.  They are also even creepier than Cosmic Epics.  Finally, the Epic Horror becomes far, far larger, larger than even the Spore planets, and its health increases to ridiculous extent.  It will float from solar system to Solar System, eating planets unstoppably.  It can one-hit anything, even if you have a sheild activated.  Just to show how large they are, you can land on them.  However, a quick cutscene immeadiately follows in which you are absorbed into its very skin.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2009, 08:27:49 am »
Stuff about wanting to have an epic that is unstoppable, completely ruining your game by eating up planets. 

Uh, no.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2009, 08:29:09 am »
They are very, very rare and eat planets at a highly slow pace.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2009, 08:39:02 am »
Still that a bit.. How should I say this.... Extreme, I mean one hit anything and nearly indestructible? What happens if one chooses your home planet? Before you can set a colony? Besides one planet buster to the face and it down for the count.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:01 am »
Planet busters just barely damage it.  I'm thinking like 100 pbs would probably kill it.
And they'd be coded not to select your home planet.  Probably they'll even be coded not to form until you're already a pretty big empire.
They have one weakness though, though they'll probably kill you before you can finish using it- happy rays.  Super-happy-ray it for about 30 seconds and it's dead.  Unfortunately, every time you leave, it heals damage rapidly so you can't do it in multiple sessions.

You should be lucky I didn't mention my previous idea for them to come in three sizes, one of which eats planets, one of which eats stars, and one of which eats about a dozen stars every second.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2009, 08:46:24 am »
*glares* >:(
No.
*jumps on Grangan head and proceeds to eat face off*
NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2009, 08:48:16 am »
2.5 times as much health and 100 planet busters?  No...  Just no.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2009, 08:48:53 am »
Well, since Galactic Adventures expands on the space stage I'm wondering if:

1. Will we be able to create fleets now?
2. With the planet editor, will we be able to create completely new planets from scratch?
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:50 am »
That's the cosmic epic Kenobro that has 2.5 times as much health.
I basically like Epics in creature because it gives me something to be afraid of, something I don't want to run into, something that I can't just turn around and attack back, something that I need to run from... I feel like space is lacking that.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:26 am »
That's the cosmic epic Kenobro that has 2.5 times as much health.
I basically like Epics in creature because it gives me something to be afraid of, something I don't want to run into, something that I can't just turn around and attack back, something that I need to run from... I feel like space is lacking that.

So basically Spore needs colliding galaxies, actually dangerous black holes, gamma ray bursts and stuff like that? :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2009, 09:01:18 am »
DarkDragon:

1.  I'm going to say no fleets just because there really isn't any connection between that and the adventure planets, which seem to be what the expansion is all about.
2.  Yes, but you don't actually get to say where they show up in your galaxy.  I'm not sure if you can make it a spice planet or not.  I would say no.

Grangan, how about when you play your game, every time you get killed, you quit and delete that save game.  That'll really give you something to be afraid of. 

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2009, 09:02:58 am »
Not colliding galaxies, but the other two sound good.
And that would just make it artificially difficult Lippy, since my main strategy is attack enemy until either I or them dies, usually me.  Repeat until enemy is dead.