Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 11502 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 04:17:34 am »
I wish they would have had them become the mythical gods of old. For instance Saul would have made a great Odin since he has a missing eye.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 06:36:56 am »
WARNING: SPOILERS

I thought it was a reasonable ending that I enjoyed. Though I agree with the posters above me on how some of it was executed. One of my personal criticisms of the finale was how quickly they changed from the first half to the second half, in the first hour or so we are treated to some of the most violent scenes in the entire series and then all of the sudden jump to "Earth" and several of the surviving characters sitting on a lush, grass covered hill observing the natives with some of the most peaceful music aired in the series since the time when Pegasus was introduced, while also appearing to forget about what just happened 12 hours prior. A little to abrupt for me.

The rest of it I thought was handled quite well (unnamed Supernatural entities aside). Plus, was that the original BSG theme playing when the fleet ran into the sun?

Also, What happened to the Basestar? I don't remember seeing it in the final fleet scene.

(Sorry, but can someone please tell me how to do that spoiler blank out thing, where you have to highlight the text before you read it?)
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:05:20 am »
You color it beige, like so:

(color=beige)Change the parenthesis to brackets and everything here will be invisible.(/color)

The original Battlestar theme was fantastic.  It was the best way they could have done it.

As for the base star:  They gave it to the remaining Centurions, and they left for parts unknown with their freedom.  That's why I say the Cylons had the real happy ending, they have everything they ever wanted and a chance to rebuild their civilization and improve upon it.  They broke the cycle, humans just set themselves up for a late return to it.

Speaking of the Cylons, how did the fleet decide it was safe?  They blew up the gigantic space station that acted as their central base, but weren't there dozens of base stars still out there?  And several hundred skin jobs on the twelve colonies?  All of which now have a legitimate reason for wanting revenge?  The Galactica could have at least acted as a defensive craft in orbit.

Really though, the whole thing was amazing right up until Cavil shot himself.  I could even accept the new alliance breaking up, but this is a man obsessed with surpassing humanity and gaining immortality.  I can't see any reason that he wouldn't fight to the last.

Well, there's another two hour special later this year, which will apparently reveal the first few seasons from the Cylon's point of view and tell us what their plan actually was.  Maybe we'll get some closure there on the whole "god" thing.  After all, Angel Baltar's "you know he doesn't like that name" comment suggests an entity that he can be related at a human level.  And their banter at the end suggests that they weren't just god's radio and have independent will.  I will be a little upset if they never resolve that.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:09 am »
The situation with Galactica and "Earth" wasn't really one that endangered the settlers. I don't think the Cylons know where "Earth" is, in fact I don't think they know where the original Earth is. If Galactica was put into orbit around the planet, it might actually attract the attention of Cylons since it would be a single technological entity in an otherwise low tech solar system.

The Cylons themselves (well at least the humanoid models) Might not last long enough to form some sort of "strike force". Remember that the Cylons have a extremely centralized society, the destruction of their main base/ settlement may have been devastating to the remaining baseships. Also remember that the single reason why Hera was so valuable to them is because she held the secret to Cylon procreation without the use of resurrection ships. With her gone, the now scattered Cylon forces have no means to go on. With the destruction of the Colony (Which I'm going to assume carried their main research centers) it would be rather hard to try to re-invent resurrection ships.     [/color
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »
Personally, I thought the ending tied the entire series together very well. Of course there were still a few loose ends, but that's to be expected. Overall, a great end to a great series.

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 11:39:59 pm »
I thought it was a poor cop out ending myself. They still never explained what Starbuck was though? A Ghost? An Angel? What? That totally sucked that she just vanished. I felt like washing my mouth out with soap to get the bad taste out of my mouth. It almost seemed like they had no clue how to end it and just came up with a quick ending. Also, I could have sworn that they showed the continents on the first earth they visited that looked like our Earth. I need to go back and watch it over I guess. How could 2 planets be exactly the same? If they were that is. Still need to check on that.
I will watch the special from the Cylon side, but I still feel cheated.

I did like how they worked in the visions with reality. How we thought all along that Baltar and 6 were kidnapping Hera, when it worked out that they were actually helping her. That was a nice touch. It was also great to see the 5 all together up high like in the vision. Very cool.
Did anyone else catch Producer Ronald D. Moore's cameo at the end? He was the one holding the magazine that Baltar and 6 looked at. I thought that was pretty cool.
I really think the series should have gone another year to work the story out more. This last season the story felt too rushed.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
I remember the original Earth Being covered by Clouds when it showed up in the series, continents were hidden. There were a few times Earth 2.0 was shown as well, once in "Crossroads" and another in the penultimate episode.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 04:55:21 pm »
I think it be awesome if sci-fi (err.... "Syfy" )decided to make a TV movie dedicated to the Centurions who went off in the baseship to make their own civilization. It would be a very different sort of sci fi to watch. What would a civilization made from the ground up by non-humanoid robots be like?

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:09 am »
I'd like this show more if it wasn't so...Lifeless ???
I'm not talking about depth or characters, this show is great with those two.
But I simply can't believe that planets like New Caprica or other coloney's like any Fauna.
Where are the colonists getting food? There's got to be some indigounoues(?) animal/plantlife out there.
I haven't watch that much of the show, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 11:44:59 am »
BSG never really gone into detail about the science behind the show. I don't think any organisms were shown except the various pets the colonials took along with them. The same thing with some of the technology, I don't think they ever explained how FTL or DRADIS worked, only what they could do.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:50:46 am by Vetro »