Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 11586 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Battlestar Galactica
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:02:04 pm »
is awesome.  Who watched last nights season premier?

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:08:43 pm »
I did. It should be really interesting to see how they wrap things up in the remaining nine episodes. Also if Kara isn't a Cylon, then what the hell is she? Also, you realize that according to the show, all of us are Cylons???

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:06:49 pm »
Also I think I just realized a massive plot hole. Gaius tested Ellen way back in either Season 1 or 2. So how did he not know she was one of the final five? I mean, he was completely obsessed with knowing who they were, so I hardly believe he would just forget she's a Cylon.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:12:33 pm »
To sum things up, they have a hell of a lot to explain with the new plot revolutions. It's all pretty convoluted right now.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:52:13 am »
I think Gaius was pretty out of his gourd and after Boomer was just faking the tests.  What bothers me is the numbering of the Cylons leaves the final five as numbers 7, 9, 10, 11, 12... but they are two thousand of years old.  They better also explain why the new Cylons even knew enough about the ancient Cylon survivors to number them.

I'm gonna go with they already had Cylons 1 through 6 when they found 7, made 8, and then found 9 through 12.  Remember, this isn't the same Cylon civilization as earth's, until a few decades ago they were still developing human Cylons.  Hell, for all we know the arrival of the five triggered development of human Cylons in the first place and those not from earth are just prototypes made in the process of building bodies for the five.

Which brings me to my theory on the huge time gap:  It just took this long for the resurrection signal to reach the colonies.  We've never once seen an FTL signal, to get a message out faster than light they always take it on a ship.  Earth didn't even have FTL when the nukes dropped, so whatever resurrection facilities were on earth just had to send the signal the long way.  For all we know everyone who ever lived and died on Earth was on that signal and the Cylons could only figure out those five.  It also explains the how the final five are nearly deified by the other human Cylons, the five are the whole reason for their existence.

Of course, this is all moot if there's a greater entity manipulating this all for some reason and is just doing whatever the hell it wants with Cylon numbering and downloading and all that.  I'll be a little disappointed if the ending boils down to "God did it."
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:31:43 pm »
Well now that the coup is over it will be interesting to see where they take the story. They have a hell of a lot to wrap up in a few episodes. It's going to be really sad to see the best show ever come to an end :-\

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 07:25:39 am »
Well, that episode explained a lot.  So much that I'll have to watch it again before I catch everything.

But they finally cleared up something that was bothering me:  The whole resurrection hub thing.  If the Cylons were behind resurrection it would have been a huge weakness, but since the five did it and didn't share the secret it makes a lot more sense.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:42:25 pm »
That explained a ton. Also John's speech about the supernova was amazing.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:10 pm »
Of course, this is all moot if there's a greater entity manipulating this all for some reason and is just doing whatever the hell it wants with Cylon numbering and downloading and all that.  I'll be a little disappointed if the ending boils down to "God did it."

Not tying up loose ends and simply proclaiming "god did it" would be the ultimate cop out.  They keep touting that the truth will be revealed, so I have faith that all loose ends will be tied up.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:57:05 pm by Sub »

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 04:35:52 am »
I keep wondering where Baltar will end up in all of this.  Regardless of whether he is good or evil, he is comedy gold:

Baltar:  All we need is strength, and strength comes from within!
Imaginary Six:  And guns.
Baltar:  And guns!

And I can't tell if Helen is being a terrible person or genuinely did all of that by accident.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
Baltar is by far my favorite character.  I love how, no matter what happens to him, he can just bounce back into power.  It's getting to the point where I don't even care what happens to everyone else, I just hope hes ok.  And I don't think Baltar is evil.  Flawed, sure, but he means well.  Felix on the other hand I've always thought of as evil after he lied during the trial. 

As for Helen, she didn't mean for the baby or for caprica to get hurt, but she did intend to hurt sol.  She was being a huge bitch and she knew it.

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »
Actually, her name is Ellen, not Hellen..

I was glad with what happened to Felix. I couldn't stand that little weasel.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 08:22:19 pm »
So the final episode is up next. Seems like they got a pretty awesome set up for it. I fully expect an epic battle, epic speeches, characters dying, sad moments, and finally a "new beginning" sort of ending to leave it open for sequels.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »
I'll be a little disappointed if the ending boils down to "God did it."

It did and I am.

In other news, that was an awesome fight sequence there.

Did anyone else have sympathy for Cavil?  He was a crazy bastard intent on the destruction of the human race because of a poorly founded vendetta, but once you get past that he was right. His species needed resurrection to survive, and he was short changed of his potential.  Having him off himself hardly seems fair.

Well, at least there's a group of self improving machines out there who don't have the option of going back to their tribal roots.  In my opinion, their story is the one that ends happily.

And who knows, after 150,000 years they might have advanced enough to challenge this "god" fellow.  He has no right meddling if he's going to keep siding with the Luddites.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:43:39 pm »
It was a huge cop out for them to just say "god did it".  They could have and should have come up with something better than that, I guess **** everyone that watches the show and doesn't believe in god.  The fact that they threw the ship into the sun also angered me.  We have thousands of years of accumulated knowledge in those ships, lets run it into the sun!  It's so idiotic it's almost amoral.  I'd also like to know how many died from them not building a city and attempting to support a hunter / gatherer society of 30,000 people.  Them zooming to modern day was also insulting of the audiences intelligence.  Did they not think we would get it?  Whatever. 

I still like the show, I just wish they didn't go for the huge cop out of god orchestrating the entire thing.