Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 21019 times)

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2009, 03:41:15 pm »
Oh neat.

I'm not sure if I should try this. I have a lot of programs on my computer and it would take ages to install all of them again, not to mention all of my steam games would be downloading for a couple of days. I have an installation disk for Windows XP SP3, but it nearly crashed the last time I installed it. :/

Also, it may still have a few bugs that weren't ironed out in the beta.

On the other hand, I really want to try Windows 7.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:48:36 pm by IamMe »

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2009, 03:51:19 pm »
Oh neat.

I'm not sure if I should try this. I have a lot of programs on my computer and it would take ages to install all of them again, not to mention all of my steam games would be downloading for a couple of days. I have an installation disk for Windows XP SP3, but it nearly crashed the last time I installed it. :/

Also, it may still have a few bugs that weren't ironed out in the beta.

On the other hand, I really want to try Windows 7.

It's really stable, the only reason I came back to XP is because I filled all my HDD space with crap and couldn't be bothered to uninstall stuff, etc so I just formatted xD
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 05:46:11 am »
...not to mention all of my steam games would be downloading for a couple of days.
You could just copy the 'steamapps' directory inside the Steam directory over to your new installation, if you've got some place to temporarily store it. Just install Steam on your new OS, and copy the files back. It should work.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2009, 06:06:38 am »
I'll maybe get it when it's released. Windows 7 should have been Windows Vista, but it didn't turn out so well.
I don't get why so many people fuss about Vista, it ain't that bad. I think it really works well.

On a side note: Since when is an operating system a game? ??? :P
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:30 am »
Where would you suggest I shoulda put it...?

::)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
Where would you suggest I shoulda put it...?

::)
Well;
"Everything Else
If it doesn't fit anywhere else place it here."
There?
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2009, 02:17:52 pm »
I'm betting it'd have been moved here pretty fast.

I mean, would you look at the oter topics here? Building PCs is hardly a PC game. Even the old Vista topic is here.

So go criticise them or get back on topic.

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2009, 03:17:19 pm »
Okay, I think I might download this. I'm a little nervous though, this computer nearly died like 5 times while reinstalling XP.

One last question, how well do games run on Windows 7? The only things I can find on Google are reviews for games on the pre-beta Windows 7.

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:26 pm »
I'm running Windows 7 RC1 on my new i7 build and I have to say it's the second best OS I've ever used (1st is OSX Leopard :p)

I've noticed an improvement in gaming performance from when I had Vista SP2 on here. I upgraded from a fresh install of Vista SP2 for driver reasons, but it's to all intents and purposes a clean install.

Almost no compatibility issues, I had a little trouble getting my Firewire mixer to work on it, but it turned out to be simply my own ineptitude from not downloading the correct driver :p

Only trouble is a few Disc and file structure related glitches. Many virtual disc drive emulation programs will not work on Windows 7 (Demon Tools, Alcohol120). Although you can still use 'Pismo Mount Control' to mount disc images.

Another issue for me is that a utility called MacDrive, which allows Windows to read and write Mac OSX's HFS file system is not functional on Windows 7. I worked around this by installing NTFS-3G on my Mac, which enables me to 'push' my Mac's files to my PC instead of 'pulling' the files over from my Windows PC.

Other than that, A+ to Microsoft, the OS is almost flawless, the above errors mainly stem from a lack of early 3rd party support.

And all this from a Mac user! :p

Joe

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2009, 03:54:52 pm »
I'm running Windows 7 RC1 on my new i7 build and I have to say it's the second best OS I've ever used (1st is OSX Leopard :p)

I've noticed an improvement in gaming performance from when I had Vista SP2 on here. I upgraded from a fresh install of Vista SP2 for driver reasons, but it's to all intents and purposes a clean install.

Almost no compatibility issues, I had a little trouble getting my Firewire mixer to work on it, but it turned out to be simply my own ineptitude from not downloading the correct driver :p

Only trouble is a few Disc and file structure related glitches. Many virtual disc drive emulation programs will not work on Windows 7 (Demon Tools, Alcohol120). Although you can still use 'Pismo Mount Control' to mount disc images.

Another issue for me is that a utility called MacDrive, which allows Windows to read and write Mac OSX's HFS file system is not functional on Windows 7. I worked around this by installing NTFS-3G on my Mac, which enables me to 'push' my Mac's files to my PC instead of 'pulling' the files over from my Windows PC.

Other than that, A+ to Microsoft, the OS is almost flawless, the above errors mainly stem from a lack of early 3rd party support.

And all this from a Mac user! :p

Joe

That review alone is a reason to get Windows 7.
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2009, 04:40:54 pm »
I'm running Windows 7 RC1 on my new i7 build...

*High Five*

I'm running Win7 on my i7 too. I just need find another 7 and I get a jackpot, right?

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
I'm running Windows 7 RC1 on my new i7 build...

*High Five*

I'm running Win7 on my i7 too. I just need find another 7 and I get a jackpot, right?

If you add five more stars to your avatar, you'd have 28, a multiple of 7. Would that be close enough?
I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:16 pm »
Think I should upgrade my laptop to windows 7? Can I keep all my current programs etc if I upgrade?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2009, 06:15:53 am »
No. :3

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 10:57:51 am »
No. :3

No I shouldn't upgrade? No I can't keep all my programs? No, but actually yes? What?