Author Topic: The Murblob  (Read 10306 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
The Murblob
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:44:44 am »
Hello guys. You probably don't know this but I've been planning to make another creature for a while now, but somehow... I never did. I developed some creatures pretty far, but that was it. Now, I'm not going to use any of those creatures I've already made, but instead I'll start off with something completely new. I'm not sure how far this will go, but we'll see.

The Aquatic Phase

Edit: Updated the image with colors.
Edit2: I was suggested to add some arrows, so here we go.

Alright, in the beginning there was a hairy little single-celled creature that enjoyed eating other hairy little single-celled creatures. That, in turn, evolved to be a bigger hairy blob that liked to eat smaller hairy blobs and non-hairy blobs. Well, in time the bastard just got bigger and bigger as the prey also got bigger and fatter due to the abundance of food. The mouth got bigger, and the small hairs evolved to be 4 big tentacles that it would use to move around. While starting to hunt in oxygen-deprived waters it also developed a sack to gather air from more oxygenated water.

During this phase the Murblob was a quite non-intelligent monstrous being. It only knew how to attack anything that moves, mate and gather air in its sack.

Coming up next: Movement to Land
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:56:38 am by Great Distance »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: The Murblob
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:20:26 am »
Interesting. I can not remember seeing anything like this before.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:05 am »
Wow, new creations with illustrations are popping up like...um...toast on a Sunday morning. Good thing they're all great creations. I say excellent work on these Murblob creatures, Great Distance! :) I can't wait until they move onto land.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:23:23 pm »
They used to all be drawn...like they should have always been...
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:56 am »
Movement to Land (Part 1)

While in the aquatic phase, the Murblobs had one creature they really liked to prey upon; the Stanies. These little creatures were quite slow, so the Murblobs could just open up their mouths and and swim along the underwater cliffs to catch a few Stanies at once.

In the water the Stanies took all the oxygen they needed through the skin. With time, though, they evolved to have a coat of slime that allowed them to take the oxygen from air as well. Because of this they could migrate out of the water to the Moss Cliffs. The moss growing on the rocks was quite similar to the seaweed they used to eat, so they fared quite well in their new environment.

However, some of the Murblobs learned to swoop out of the water to catch these little creatures. In response the Stanies slowly migrated upwards on the cliffs. When they were completely out of reach most of the Murblobs gave up and decided to settle for easier food instead. Some of them, though, learned to put the oxygen-filled sack under their neck to a new use.

A small group of Murblobs learned that they could climb on the cliffs using their tentacles, while using up the oxygen stored in the airsack. The cliffs were too slippery for most, but a few Murblobs had small hairs on their tentacles that allowed them to have a better grip and climb better.

Next: Movement to Land (Part 2)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:02:14 am by Great Distance »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:32:40 am »
Nice update GD. I like the action shots :)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:44:49 am »
Wow, this really gives you a good idea of what the Murblob's life was like. I love it! ;D
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:54 pm »
I love. I officially LOVE IT. Awesome drawings, awesome design, overall awesomeness.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 06:36:41 pm »
Wow very nice

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 01:13:38 am »
Thanks guys! I always wanted to make something with a story - about how the creature evolved and how it became sapient - that sort of stuff. Something with just a little bit more detail. Just to note, this creature is still evolving, so you might see it changing a bit in the future.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:10 am »
I like it.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:14 am »
Same here, I admire the pictures.  :)
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 03:51:49 pm »
The two-eyed thing was actually partly funny, as you first see the thing on the shore, then suddenly in the next picture the creature is suddenly leaping out of the water at it. You can even kind of tell how scared it is.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:32:52 am »
Lookin' funky fresh GD.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:39:25 am »
Well, I didn't get an update done last week because my guinea pig got sick and I couldn't really concentrate on anything else. Well, the guinea pig died, so I guess I've got time for other stuff now.

Movement to Land (Part 2)

The Outbreak of the Smoffers

When the Stanies left the underwater, a new species soon rose to take their place. These creatures called Smoffers constantly produce poisonous gases to keep predators away. Previously, with the Stanies having immunity to their poisons and competing with them for food, the amount of Smoffers kept to reasonable numbers. However, after the Stanies had left the environment, the population of the Smoffers soon skyrocketed. The water around the cliffs became too toxic for most of the prey of the Underwater Murblobs. They were forced to move to better hunting areas, and the two different groups of Murblobs were completely isolated from each other. They would now evolve into entirely different directions.

As known, the Climber Murblobs still had to go underwater to fill their air sacks. During the Smoffer outbreak, the Climber Murblobs had to take the oxygen they needed from the water further away from the cliffs, but that meant less time to spend on hunting and climbing. Due to this, only the fastest climbers and the ones with the best air sack capasity would survive. That had already been the direction of evolution, however, and all they had to do was adapt faster. But as they couldn't do that, more Murblobs were dying faster than usually. When a mutation occured that finally allowed them to breathe on land, they were already near the brink of exctinction.

Soon after the mutation the Murblobs had to start laying their eggs on land as well. At first the soft eggs still needed a lot of moisture, so the Murblobs would lay them on the wet cliffs near the sea level. They could easily get washed away by the waves, though, so when the eggs started developing slightly harder shells and would not dry up completely, the Murblobs could start laying them in safer places. Eventually the Murblobs would go all the way to the top of the cliffs to lay their eggs in the bushes, where they would be well safe and hidden.

Next: Movement to Land (Part 3)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:51:45 am by Great Distance »