Author Topic: XBox Rock Band 2/Music games  (Read 10714 times)

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
XBox Rock Band 2/Music games
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:48:35 pm »
So just to clear things up, I got the XBox a few hours ago, and I've never handled one before, so it's not the most familiar thing to me.

Also, I've never played Rock Band 2 before, though I do have a little (as in, not really enough to go off of) bit of experience with the first one.

So, first of all, is there any way to just play the songs on there for fun? I think there was something like that on the old one, where you got scored and stuff but it wasn't part of the main "plot". The closest I can find is the Trainer Mode, and it will only let me use the Microphone.

Next, what the hell is up with the songs? It said it came with 80 on the disk, and a grand total of maybe 19 are showing up for me. I read somewhere that you have to unlock the others, but how do you do that? Do you have to beat the actual game first?

The instructions that came with the damn thing are infuriatingly vague and unhelpful. So can someone who's played it help me? I'm new to all of this. <_<;;

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: XBox Rock Band 2... HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:54:56 pm »
The songs must be unlocked and then once they've been unlocked you can play them for fun by going to the band mode (I think that's what it's called). Now you can unlock all the songs by entering the following code in the "Modify Game" part of the "Extras" menu:

Quote from: GameFAQs
Red, Yellow, Blue, Red(2), Blue(2), Red, Yellow, Blue

But if you do that you won't be scored on any of the songs and you must go back into the menu and toggle on the code each time you play.

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »
How do you unlock them? Beat the game?

So you go to Band Mode to play for fun?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:05:44 pm »
Yeah, Band Mode should allow you to just rock out with your friends and go for high scores but ONLY for songs you've unlocked in story mode. To do that you've got to beat the game.

My brother-in-law and myself just enter the code and play. It'd be nice to be able to record the scores but we don't care enough. We just wanna rock! ;)

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:08:43 pm »
Ah, okay.

Is the inability to record scores permanent, or only when the cheat is active? Sorry for all the questions. =P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:11:15 pm »
Nah it's cool, I wish I had someone to tell me all this when I started playing! :D

Scores won't count as long as the cheat is on and it can be toggled on or off in the Extra's menu. And when you turn the cheat off (you guessed it!) your list will revert to however many songs you've unlocked in story mode.

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:34 pm »
Alright, thanks a lot.

One more thing. The drums have horrible sensitivity. Is there any way to adjust the settings for that? All I can find is Microphone Sensitivity.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:33:23 pm »
I don't think you can do anything about the drums. I've never really had a problem with them. Check to see if there is anything between the drums and the console that could be interfering. Also make sure you're hitting as close to the center as possible (this can be difficult at certain blood-alcohol levels).

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:22:17 pm »
Turns out the drum thing was just operator error (and some calibration issues) and was easily resolved.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully this XBox newbie will get better.

EDIT: Another problem came up; when I use the "Unlock" code, it says that I've successfully unlocked all the songs, but only a few new ones show up. Apparently other people have had this problem, but I can't find a solution. Has this happened to you?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:59:45 pm by Oshaberi »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:32 am »
Just play through on easy it wont get you every song but it will unlock it all. If you feel like it you can get the medium ones later.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Late to the Party: Music Games
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:21 am »
(So I didn't want to necro bump an old thread, so I figured I would just make a new one)

Ok, I want to get into music games. Preferably Rock Band 2 since it has so much DLC, and I don't like Mr. Bobby "exploit" Kotick

I don't have an instruments or anything so it's a fresh start. I think I just want the guitar right now since I don't really have anyone to play with.
Which one do you think I should get? I'm leaning toward the Rock Band 2 stand alone guitar, but it's still $70 and it doesn't come with the game.

I only really have $100, and that doesn't seam to be enough.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm into classic rock. Any suggestions on which DLC to get?
Thanks guys

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Late to the Party: Music Games
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:41 am »
The thing is, at least from my experience, the standalone guitar is nigh impossible to find (at least for the Xbox, trust me, I've been looking for one since March).  I would definetly say go for the whole thing, even if you need to save up for a bit.  Rock Band is an awesome party game, and although you'll play on your own most of the time, it'll be worth it for when you have friends over.

As for DLC, may I direct your attention to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_songs_for_the_Rock_Band_series

Now, your taste in music may be different than mine, but the DLC that I have that I enjoy the most is:

Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Not very challenging, but still fun to play.)
Move Along by The All-American Rejects (A challenging song, and great fun to play.)
All the Small Things by Blink-182 (Fairly tricky, but one of the most fun songs I have.)
Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis (Oasis is awesome, this song is awesome.)
Wonderwall by Oasis (See above)
Crushcrushcrush by Paramore (My sister wanted the song so we got it.  It is a great song to play on drums.)
Still Alive by GLaDOS (It's free, what more reason do you need?)
Promised Land by Vesuvius (Also free, and not a bad song either)
Mr. Brightside by The Killers (Hard song, great song, fun song.)
Don't Stop Beliving by Journey (JOURNEY!!!)

A fun sidenote, my favourite song that comes with Rock Band 2 would have to be Ramblin' Man by a band I forget the name of.  Best.  Solo.  Ever.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:39 am »
The thing is, at least from my experience, the standalone guitar is nigh impossible to find (at least for the Xbox, trust me, I've been looking for one since March)....

Really? I saw a few at my local gamestop. Odd  :-\
As for the songs you listed, I like most of those songs too  ;D

Also, isn't the full band almost like $200?

[edit]
Oh wow, Amazon has the whole thing for $100
Even has free shipping, lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:41:26 am by Fink »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 08:40:30 am »
As far as DLC goes, anything by The Who, The Police, or Pearl Jam is good. There's some great Grateful Dead tracks on there too, anything will do. Oh, you should definitely get some Rush... again, it's all good. And it can't hurt to throw in some Weezer for good measure.

Don't forget the classic hit from Stephen and the Colberts, Charlene (I'm Right Behind You). It's free!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: XBox Rock Band 2/Music games
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »
Prepare to drop a lot of cash on DLC. When I first got RB last year I drop another $40 of DLC just on the first day. Make sure to rent/borrow a copy of RB1 so you can rip all the songs from there to your HD (for $5) and If you have a 20gig HD, say goodbye all your free space.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 09:30:52 pm »
Gah I been trying to finally hook my 360 up so I can get some extra Rock Band songs off of live so far I have been at it for 24 hours and still haven't got to going. For the most part I'd get past the terms and agreement stage accept that then I'd get told that the registering new live accounts isn't available. (Perfect timeing right) Finally today I sign in and it wont connect to live suggesting there might be something to do with a router port not being open.

I don't have access to that stuff so I got to wait on my cousin. Whos idea at Xbox was it to make this such a pain in the arse my Wii can be set up with out hassle.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »
Well not to burst your bubble but xbox live went down tonight. Don't know when but it did and I don't know if it is up yet.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 01:25:09 am »
So it may not be an issue at my end. I'm not sure if I am to be relieved that it's not an issue at my end or steaming with rage of this still being a pain. Hopefully the whole thing being down will be resolved quickly (Emphasis on hopefuly).

gec05

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 11:45:51 am »
So you must be tired of all the old-foagie/casual hype over the Beatles Rock Band.

I'm actually going to pick up the set, since my dad actually wants to buy it anyways. I grew up listening to the Beatles, so I know I will enjoy this too. It also gives me good reason to leave the 360 in the living room since my parents don't like having my consoles sitting out in the living room. But hopefully my 360 gets more use from the whole family now.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 11:47:46 am »
I loooove the hype over this game! More people to play with that aren't the kinds of idiots that Halo and Nintendogs attracted! ;D

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:16 pm »
I like Halo :(

I always regretted buying Guitar Hero: World Tour over Rock Band, now there's Rock Band: Beatles, and Queen coming up?!

Now I really regret it...
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

gec05

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »
You can pick up the game alone. The instruments you have should be able to play on all Rock Band games. They recently had a fix on this a while back.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 12:59:34 pm »
OOOH!

That makes it much better then :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:24:59 pm by Skyward »

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 05:23:43 pm »
I picked up Beatles RB this morning. It's fun. You can unlock stuff by getting enough stars like pictures and other things. I'm not going to mention the other things you unlock because it's pretty cool, and I 'll save the surprises for you to discover.

Also if you get the 360 version it comes with a code so you can unlock a free t-shirt for your avatars. One for for a guy and a 2nd for a girl, but if there are two guys or two girls using your 360 you'll have to fight it out.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:27 pm »
What gets me is while we are getting RB beatles here in Australia sometime in the next week or so we still haven't had RB2 released yet.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 07:02:17 am »
Double posting sorry but new info. I got Rock band: The Beatles. I love it every song is great and completely fun to play.

My jaw hit the flaw in Sgt Pepper when it transitions to get by with a lil help from my friends the whole rotunda becoming a hot air balloon just awesome.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:02 pm »
I can't possibly imaging how easy The Beatles: Rock Band must be, but the music is good, so that makes up for it.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 10:01:12 am »
Woo!  Queen 10 pack is comming to Rock Band.  I'm kinda wierded out right now though.  In class, I said out of the blue "You know, I wish that Rock Band got some Queen songs for it."

I come home, check my e-mail and there's a newsletter informing me that Queen is comming to Rock Band.  Crazy thing is is I recived the e-mail at almost exactly the time where I said that I wish I had Queen.

Awesome!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 10:03:52 am »
I'm glad Rock Band did this. I've said before that I will not buy any more music games until they give me Queen. Thank you Rock Band... I didn't want to have to buy Guitar Hero.

**EDIT**
Here's what they say the track list will be.

Another One Bites The Dust
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
One Vision
Fat Bottomed Girls
I Want It All
I Want to Break Free
Killer Queen
Somebody to Love
Tie Your Mother Down
Under Pressure

Not too shabby!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:05:49 am by PatMan33 »

gec05

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
I was gonna say whatever happened to "We Will Rock You" but then realized how under-orchestrated the song was.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 01:20:33 pm »
Yeah absolutely. A lot of people are complaining about why their favorite songs aren't on the list (typically Bohemian Rhapsody). They forget that most of Queen's songs relied more on vocals and clever arrangements rather than a ton of guitar work. Brian May is very good at what he does (one of the best, actually) and there are a couple songs where he was allowed to show his stuff, but for the most part he plays second fiddle to Freddy Mercury's vocals and compositions. But hey, it's nice. I think the track list is good.

They got Under Pressure, Killer Queen, and Fat Bottomed Girls. That's worth the price of admission and they'll be very fun to play!

gec05

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »
And I misused the term "under-orchestrated," the songs have an orchestra indeed. Just outside of the conventional rock band instruments.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »
Rock you and Champions are part of the Lego Rockband playlist I think anyway.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 11:35:25 am »
I'm willing to bet they will all be released later on their own, or as a second pack, unconventional orchestration or not.  Keep in mind that Harmonix has released songs with no vocals, and I'm sure some with very little instrumentation, so I don't think that these songs are beyond them.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 07:55:39 pm »
Well Bohemian Rhapsody is probably the most major song of there's which hasn't been announced for release. I'm sure they will put it out before long.

gec05

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:26 pm »
Hamonix just released their Rock Band Network Tools to help you publish your own songs for auditioning.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3122353

Note to those curious:

-It helps to be musically inclined.
-Some basic knowledge of using music production software makes it easier.
-Having separate recordings of each instrument (when sandwiched together make up the whole song) gives best results.
-$60 to pay for a one-license purchase of Reaper, a program that will help you create and mix music.
-Free Plug-ins from Hamonix will enable you to program the notes that play in the game.
-Comes with documentation that will guide you through the process.

If I can get this working, I may try publishing something myself.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:51:28 pm by Gec »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 10:59:16 pm »
Hmm, this has given me even more reason to write a real song.  Really, the only part I can't for the life of me get down is the lyrics.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 11:32:19 pm »
Nice if I had any musical talent I'd be in.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 07:44:28 pm »
I was @ Best Buy today and they had a DJ Hero Demo setup so I gave it for a "spin." After just playing for about a minute, I got bored. I think it was set on easy, but all it is you just hit the three buttons Like you would with a Guitar minus the strumming, and then there are scratching parts. meh, I didn't get the same kind of instant gratification when I first picked up a plastic guitar.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 09:09:06 pm »
Oh yeah also for those who don't know the Queen track pack is in the Rockband store. If you haven't yet stop what you are doing and get it now!

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 10:27:53 pm »
Already got all the ones from the pack I want.  I had bought a 4000ish microsoft point card at microplay and kinda went nuts.  Bought a good 12 songs.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 10:45:02 pm »
Only 12 songs I got like entire albums.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 12:21:30 pm »
Dunno if Band Hero counts but:

Quote from: Songlist on Band Hero
American Pie - Don Mclean
YMCA - Village People

Wuhubuhfuhrugh?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Lego Rock Band
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
Anyone else planning on getting this just so they can play the ghostbusters theme and kung foo fighting?  I know I am!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Rock_Band

Offline Fink

• View Profile
Re: Lego Rock Band
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2009, 02:38:49 pm »
Meh Sir, I say Meh!
They didn't use the license very well. It's just rock band with a lego skin, no humor or anything.

Plus most of those songs are in other versions.

And for the final nail in the coffin, the Ghost Busters theme is just "I Want a New Drug""

gec05

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »
I knew there was something fishy about those two songs.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Re: Lego Rock Band
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 05:12:12 pm »
Anyone else planning on getting this just so they can play the ghostbusters theme and kung foo fighting?  I know I am!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Rock_Band

I put that in DS game's for a reason, the console versions really have no point other than some extra songs that you can just DLC anyways.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 03:40:37 pm »
DJ Hero is... fun!

Feel's somewhat lacking, and a lot of the remixes have the same songs in them, but you can play as Daft Punk  ;D