Author Topic: XBox Rock Band 2/Music games  (Read 10712 times)

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
XBox Rock Band 2/Music games
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:48:35 pm »
So just to clear things up, I got the XBox a few hours ago, and I've never handled one before, so it's not the most familiar thing to me.

Also, I've never played Rock Band 2 before, though I do have a little (as in, not really enough to go off of) bit of experience with the first one.

So, first of all, is there any way to just play the songs on there for fun? I think there was something like that on the old one, where you got scored and stuff but it wasn't part of the main "plot". The closest I can find is the Trainer Mode, and it will only let me use the Microphone.

Next, what the hell is up with the songs? It said it came with 80 on the disk, and a grand total of maybe 19 are showing up for me. I read somewhere that you have to unlock the others, but how do you do that? Do you have to beat the actual game first?

The instructions that came with the damn thing are infuriatingly vague and unhelpful. So can someone who's played it help me? I'm new to all of this. <_<;;

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: XBox Rock Band 2... HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:54:56 pm »
The songs must be unlocked and then once they've been unlocked you can play them for fun by going to the band mode (I think that's what it's called). Now you can unlock all the songs by entering the following code in the "Modify Game" part of the "Extras" menu:

Quote from: GameFAQs
Red, Yellow, Blue, Red(2), Blue(2), Red, Yellow, Blue

But if you do that you won't be scored on any of the songs and you must go back into the menu and toggle on the code each time you play.

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »
How do you unlock them? Beat the game?

So you go to Band Mode to play for fun?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:05:44 pm »
Yeah, Band Mode should allow you to just rock out with your friends and go for high scores but ONLY for songs you've unlocked in story mode. To do that you've got to beat the game.

My brother-in-law and myself just enter the code and play. It'd be nice to be able to record the scores but we don't care enough. We just wanna rock! ;)

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:08:43 pm »
Ah, okay.

Is the inability to record scores permanent, or only when the cheat is active? Sorry for all the questions. =P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:11:15 pm »
Nah it's cool, I wish I had someone to tell me all this when I started playing! :D

Scores won't count as long as the cheat is on and it can be toggled on or off in the Extra's menu. And when you turn the cheat off (you guessed it!) your list will revert to however many songs you've unlocked in story mode.

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:34 pm »
Alright, thanks a lot.

One more thing. The drums have horrible sensitivity. Is there any way to adjust the settings for that? All I can find is Microphone Sensitivity.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:33:23 pm »
I don't think you can do anything about the drums. I've never really had a problem with them. Check to see if there is anything between the drums and the console that could be interfering. Also make sure you're hitting as close to the center as possible (this can be difficult at certain blood-alcohol levels).

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:22:17 pm »
Turns out the drum thing was just operator error (and some calibration issues) and was easily resolved.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully this XBox newbie will get better.

EDIT: Another problem came up; when I use the "Unlock" code, it says that I've successfully unlocked all the songs, but only a few new ones show up. Apparently other people have had this problem, but I can't find a solution. Has this happened to you?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:59:45 pm by Oshaberi »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:32 am »
Just play through on easy it wont get you every song but it will unlock it all. If you feel like it you can get the medium ones later.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Late to the Party: Music Games
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:21 am »
(So I didn't want to necro bump an old thread, so I figured I would just make a new one)

Ok, I want to get into music games. Preferably Rock Band 2 since it has so much DLC, and I don't like Mr. Bobby "exploit" Kotick

I don't have an instruments or anything so it's a fresh start. I think I just want the guitar right now since I don't really have anyone to play with.
Which one do you think I should get? I'm leaning toward the Rock Band 2 stand alone guitar, but it's still $70 and it doesn't come with the game.

I only really have $100, and that doesn't seam to be enough.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm into classic rock. Any suggestions on which DLC to get?
Thanks guys

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Late to the Party: Music Games
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:41 am »
The thing is, at least from my experience, the standalone guitar is nigh impossible to find (at least for the Xbox, trust me, I've been looking for one since March).  I would definetly say go for the whole thing, even if you need to save up for a bit.  Rock Band is an awesome party game, and although you'll play on your own most of the time, it'll be worth it for when you have friends over.

As for DLC, may I direct your attention to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_songs_for_the_Rock_Band_series

Now, your taste in music may be different than mine, but the DLC that I have that I enjoy the most is:

Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Not very challenging, but still fun to play.)
Move Along by The All-American Rejects (A challenging song, and great fun to play.)
All the Small Things by Blink-182 (Fairly tricky, but one of the most fun songs I have.)
Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis (Oasis is awesome, this song is awesome.)
Wonderwall by Oasis (See above)
Crushcrushcrush by Paramore (My sister wanted the song so we got it.  It is a great song to play on drums.)
Still Alive by GLaDOS (It's free, what more reason do you need?)
Promised Land by Vesuvius (Also free, and not a bad song either)
Mr. Brightside by The Killers (Hard song, great song, fun song.)
Don't Stop Beliving by Journey (JOURNEY!!!)

A fun sidenote, my favourite song that comes with Rock Band 2 would have to be Ramblin' Man by a band I forget the name of.  Best.  Solo.  Ever.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:39 am »
The thing is, at least from my experience, the standalone guitar is nigh impossible to find (at least for the Xbox, trust me, I've been looking for one since March)....

Really? I saw a few at my local gamestop. Odd  :-\
As for the songs you listed, I like most of those songs too  ;D

Also, isn't the full band almost like $200?

[edit]
Oh wow, Amazon has the whole thing for $100
Even has free shipping, lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:41:26 am by Fink »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 08:40:30 am »
As far as DLC goes, anything by The Who, The Police, or Pearl Jam is good. There's some great Grateful Dead tracks on there too, anything will do. Oh, you should definitely get some Rush... again, it's all good. And it can't hurt to throw in some Weezer for good measure.

Don't forget the classic hit from Stephen and the Colberts, Charlene (I'm Right Behind You). It's free!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: XBox Rock Band 2/Music games
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »
Prepare to drop a lot of cash on DLC. When I first got RB last year I drop another $40 of DLC just on the first day. Make sure to rent/borrow a copy of RB1 so you can rip all the songs from there to your HD (for $5) and If you have a 20gig HD, say goodbye all your free space.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures