Author Topic: "Creation Culling" on Sporepedia  (Read 9064 times)

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
"Creation Culling" on Sporepedia
« on: December 25, 2008, 10:02:20 pm »
It has been announced in the official Spore forums that creations that have had no interaction for a while will be automatically deleted.

While I think it is good because it gets rid of the creations that had virtually no effort invested into them, but I think it is a bad thing because quality creations that have had no interaction could be deleted. I honestly don't want my first ever creature to be deleted, but it has at least two comments on them, so I guess it is safe.

Ichthyostega

Offline AuraBoyX

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: "Creation Culling" on Sporepedia
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 11:33:14 pm »
Well this blows... I mean seriously. Even though I backup my creations, I use the Sporepedia as a 'safe' for my creatures. While I may have multiple versions of a creature on my computer - the Sporepedia version is my 'official' version. I also want to retain the original birthdays without having to reupload them... I really hope they do not do this. There must be another solution to whatever problem they are trying to fix.

Also... For clarification... What does "no interaction" mean? I honestly think I have some pretty good creations but I feel people really do not get a chance to see them much especially the old stuff I have... When I check my log it seems people have interacted with my new stuff only. I feel if the developers take this action they may remove some diamonds from the mix and/or piss some people off.

It would really help if we could get some REAL voting system going 'in game'. If I encounter a creature while playing that I like I wish I could give it a thumbs up on the fly... I say that I am going to go back and go onto the website and rate them later but I never do. I have said it before a creation parade similar to what the Nintendo Wii does with it's Miis would be ideal for this game and spread the exposure randomly and fairly.

AuraBoyX/CreatureCreator
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:53:44 pm by AuraBoyX »

Offline AuraBoyX

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 12:01:40 am »
Worried about this culling I went to the Spore forums (which is a place I never go) to find the actual original post regarding the culling... Here is is for anyone who is interested;

<<Hi -

We're impressed at the sheer number of incredible creations Spore players are creating and we realize that finding quality content among 50 million creations can be quite daunting. We've also received many requests to remove auto-uploaded creations and to make it easier to find quality content online.

And we know that you want to be kept informed of major changes before they go into effect. So we wanted to give you a heads up about our next major change: we're going to implement a culling process. We hope that you will find that quality creations are easier to find with these changes.

Creations will be culled only if they meet stringent criteria. Only creations that have had very little or no interaction or attention will be eligible. Creations will only be culled from the servers. Nothing will be removed from your hard drive.

Only two kinds of creations will be culled:

--- Auto-uploaded creations that have not been updated in the last 30 days, are not in any Sporecasts, have never been the subject or object of an event, do not have any comments, and were made while using Patch 3.

--- Creations that haven't been updated in 60 days, are not in any Sporecasts, have never been the subject or object of an event, and do not have any comments.

Culling criteria may be adjusted in the future, but we'll make sure to let you know if that occurs.

Q. How can you prevent the creations you like from being culled?
A. Making any update on your creation will ensure it won't get culled for 30 days. Updated means that a creation’s name, body, paint, tags, or description has been updated. Also, If your creation belongs to a Sporecast, it won't be culled.

Q. What can you do if your creation has been culled, but you'd still like it visible on Spore.com?
A. Simply re-upload it from your computer.

Also, no creations will be culled that were authored by players who have logged in to the game or Spore.com site within the last 30 days.

This change will be going into effect next week.

Thanks -

-caryl >>

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:17:56 am »
That's just crap! The culling should happen on basis of the creature itself, like painted, yes/no? Now my favourite, but absent creators will get their creations removed, just because they left spore in their glory times.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 03:00:59 am »
Also, no creations will be culled that were authored by players who have logged in to the game or Spore.com site within the last 30 days.

Thanks -

-caryl >>

Just log in before next week and type hello in the description.

They seem to be culling the creatures of people who've stopped playing, giving them even less reason to start again.  Smart move folks.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:15:25 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline FutureFilms

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:11:46 am »
[iAlso, no creations will be culled that were authored by players who have logged in to the game or Spore.com site within the last 30 days.

Thanks -

-caryl >>
[/b]
[/i][/color]
Just log in before next week and type hello in the description.

They seem to be culling the creatures of people who've stopped playing, giving them even less reason to start again.  Smart move folks.  ::)

I agree, it isn't that bad.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:50:19 am »
I don't think this is so bad at all. There is already an over-abundance of creatures clogging the sporepedia. The auto-upload means that if you felt like just tweaking a limb by a tiny bit, to adjust its walking rhythm, you will end up with an essential duplicate on the servers. If by just removing the duplicates, the sporepedia size should drop quite a bit. If anything, i'm surprised that the culling conditions are so lenient. Heheh, where is the "totally unpainted" culling? :)

If you're like me, and paranoid about some of your older creations vanishing from the online sporepedia, you could just make a sporecast of all your manually uploaded content, kind of like a 'safehouse' for all your older content that rarely seems to get seeded any more.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:20:38 am »
"AND were made while using Patch 3" so only patch 3 creations will be deleted?

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 05:27:19 am »
My stuff's getting deleted all the time for reasons I can't ascertain so this doesn't make that much of a difference. I think those are pretty flimsy reasons to cull creations though. By those rules, most of my stuff's doomed.  :P

There's definitely going to be some awesome stuff that slipped through the net that's going to now get deleted. Plus it seems one could either adjust something in the creature's tags or description on the 29th day to avoid the cull, or just re-upload... so basically it's just a hassle. People will put back things that were taken down, over and over, so this doesn't stop 'pedia spamming very effectively at all.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:30:34 am »
Oh my ****ing god... my parents banned me from Spore for a few months... all my creations are going to be deleted...  What are they, nuts?
I WANT TO ****ING KILL THE PERSON WHO CAME UP WITH THIS.  WITH A ****ING PICKAXE.
Seriously.  This turns Spore from a 5-star game to a negative5billion-star game.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:26:42 am »
Why did your parents ban you from spore :-\
Too much Creative freedom?
(or lack thereof)
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 12:17:59 pm »
Oh my ****ing god... my parents banned me from Spore for a few months... all my creations are going to be deleted...  What are they, nuts?
I WANT TO ****ING KILL THE PERSON WHO CAME UP WITH THIS.  WITH A ****ING PICKAXE.
Seriously.  This turns Spore from a 5-star game to a negative5billion-star game.
Okay, first off, calm down.  Second, you obviously have web access.  Just log into spore.com once in the next 4 weeks.  Sheesh, it's not that bad and it's actually better for those of us who still play. 

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 02:39:43 pm »
Plus they are just culling them from the SPOREPEDIA, they are still on your computer and they can't touch those as far as culling goes.

I wonder if making a comment and then deleting it will still keep it up for 30 days or something? This could be problematic for those who have many creations and/or don't have alot of people buddied to them (that is, other people have you as your buddy).

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 03:29:58 pm »
Add all my creations to a Sporecast? Mkay.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 03:53:32 pm »
We need a no-culling sporecast... Add every creature to it.