Author Topic: Will Wright’s next “secret” project  (Read 29610 times)

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
Re: Will Wright’s next “secret” project
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »
Will should pull an unexpected move and create a GTA type of game.  :P
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 06:52:43 pm »
Or how about a Myst-esque RTS where you control various types of programs and spread across various computer systems, and slowly learn of your origins as a self-editing sentient computer program, and the "Real World".

honestly, do you even know what kind of games Will makes?
Lets recap for a second, okay?

Simcity
Sim Ant
The Sims

see where im goin here?

The pattern I'd always gotten was that Will Wright makes FUN games that involve experimentation.
RTS stands for Real Time Simulation, you do know that, right?
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 07:25:09 pm »
I thought it stood for "real time strategy", but I could be wrong.

Or maybe it has two meanings, like FPS can stand for "Frames per second" or "First person shooter"

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 07:44:44 pm »

You do know that RTS most commonly stands for Real Time Strategy, right?

Logically, many people would assume that is what you meant to say. however what you did say left the reader with no clues to which form you were talking about. so, people would assume you meant real time strategy. be clearer before you yell at people for not understanding.

As for Real Time Simulation, i have never heard that one before, but i have no evidence that it is not legitimate.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 08:13:37 pm »

You do know that RTS most commonly stands for Real Time Strategy, right?

Logically, many people would assume that is what you meant to say. however what you did say left the reader with no clues to which form you were talking about. so, people would assume you meant real time strategy. be clearer before you yell at people for not understanding.

As for Real Time Simulation, i have never heard that one before, but i have no evidence that it is not legitimate.

Google:
217,000 results for "real time simulation"
2,740,000 results for "real time strategy"

So it's legitimate, but "real-time strategy" is the familiar term, to contrast with "turn-based strategy" (chess).

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 08:20:20 pm »
Wow, got a little extra time there? :P
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »
Wow, got a little extra time there? :P

Just ten seconds on Google -- it gives you the number of results ya know  :P

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2008, 10:44:47 pm »
Or how about a Myst-esque RTS where you control various types of programs and spread across various computer systems, and slowly learn of your origins as a self-editing sentient computer program, and the "Real World".

honestly, do you even know what kind of games Will makes?
Lets recap for a second, okay?

Simcity
Sim Ant
The Sims

see where im goin here?

Quote from: Will Wright
"I've always been fascinated with airships, and I wanted to do a game about the Hindenburg. And it was originally conceived as a cross between Myst and a flight simulator, if you can imagine that. You basically wake up on the Hindenburg. You're all alone. It's flying toward Lakehurst, New Jersey. You can walk anywhere on the ship. You can turn lights on and off. You can steer. You can adjust the engines. But every time you come into Lakehurst, it blows up. And you have to figure out why, and it becomes like this weird mystery flight simulator thing. I'd still love to do that."
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/21/1445238
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline legojedij

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
    • ZTV
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2008, 09:20:08 am »
i would want to play that game it sounded like a great idea

also from that article
Dylan Cuthbert, Q Games founder, PixelJunk Racers and StarFox developer
Many years ago, we fleshed out a game on the PC with similar elements to Spore. We had fractally generating worlds and buildings/towns and creatures that evolved. Also, we made it LAN playable with up to 16 players and experimented with distributable networking so the game could possibly run with hundreds or thousands of people. The world also had a fully developed and simulated ecosystem with humidity, winds, temperature fluctuations, and so on affecting plant life and types of terrain (you could actually watch hurricanes form from the overview map).

All in all, it was actually quite cool, even if I do say so myself, and we showed it to a hell of a lot of publishers, and they also thought it was cool, but none of them would risk money on something of that experimental scope. After about a year of talking to Microsoft, they funded us to prototype it as a game, rather than an experiment, but it got dropped when they started refocusing stuff in their Japan studio.

I should have taken it to Will Wright.
he really should of taken it to Will

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2008, 11:40:18 am »
Waiting for Spore wasn't bad, I only found gamingsteve because of it and I would probably only have found gamingsteve 3 years later if I didn't know about Spore until it was released. That would mean I wouldn't know some people as well as I do now and I might not have met some of them at all!

Yeah, imagine a world where no one had ever met Malt!
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2008, 01:30:36 pm »
Will should pull an unexpected move and create a GTA type of game.  :P

Well, would that be such a bad thing? Imagine a sort of Mos Eisley where you customize an alien and you get to go around doing missions, stealing speeders, taking out other aliens with blasters or lightsabers. If all the aliens, vehicles and buildings are culled from sporepedia, you can create a whole new mythos seperate from Star Wars, but just as fun, with the feeling of GTA.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2008, 03:03:13 pm »
i would want to play that game it sounded like a great idea

also from that article
Dylan Cuthbert, Q Games founder, PixelJunk Racers and StarFox developer
Many years ago, we fleshed out a game on the PC with similar elements to Spore. We had fractally generating worlds and buildings/towns and creatures that evolved. Also, we made it LAN playable with up to 16 players and experimented with distributable networking so the game could possibly run with hundreds or thousands of people. The world also had a fully developed and simulated ecosystem with humidity, winds, temperature fluctuations, and so on affecting plant life and types of terrain (you could actually watch hurricanes form from the overview map).

All in all, it was actually quite cool, even if I do say so myself, and we showed it to a hell of a lot of publishers, and they also thought it was cool, but none of them would risk money on something of that experimental scope. After about a year of talking to Microsoft, they funded us to prototype it as a game, rather than an experiment, but it got dropped when they started refocusing stuff in their Japan studio.

I should have taken it to Will Wright.
he really should of taken it to Will

This sounds brilliant. Thanks a frellin' lot for tossing that out, Micro$oft.  :P
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
Why do all of you think it's going to be about aliens? Spore was the only game he made that was about aliens. Every other game he made was about humans or animals or earth creatures.

SimCity?
The Sims?
SimAnimal? (That one's not out yet though...)

And then Spore.

It's almost like half of the gamingsteve population only knows Will Wright for making Spore and that's it.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2008, 04:06:05 pm »
My guess is that he is making some kind of sequel to Spore, whether directly or indirectly, and putting in it the "science version" that we all wanted.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2008, 04:13:31 pm »
Why do all of you think it's going to be about aliens? Spore was the only game he made that was about aliens. Every other game he made was about humans or animals or earth creatures.

SimCity?
The Sims?
SimAnimal? (That one's not out yet though...)

And then Spore.

It's almost like half of the gamingsteve population only knows Will Wright for making Spore and that's it.

My first computer game was SimCity (dunno the version though, really old one). I own legal copies of all Maxis games too <_<
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.