Author Topic: Will Wright’s next “secret” project  (Read 30396 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Will Wright’s next “secret” project
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 04:43:11 pm »
Dwarf Fortress with graphics and a higher budget?
A Dwarf Fortress global MMO, complete with LAN and online server-based games. Cleaned up, easy to use interface, and a first-person fully 3D viewpoint for roaming around, overhead view for planning and Dungeon Keeper style acts. Like Garrysmod but with rules! Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if someone tried to remake Dwarf Fortress as a Garrysmod expansion mod...

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 05:05:56 pm »
I'm excited to see what he does next but he needs to keep a lid on it until the very last minute.  I think his biggest mistake was in debuting Spore so early.  He got our hopes up higher than he could deliver, much higher than he intended.  If Spore had been a stealthy surprise then there would have been no DRM debacle, no constant whining about how Spore wasn't what he "promised", and no attacks on EA about how they're "punishing" and "abusing" us poor, innocent gamers.  Will needs to avoid all the hype and all the marketing crap that got involved in Spore so he can do whatever he wants.  Spore wasn't a failure, it just never lived up to what I and most of you thought it would or could be.  If we hadn't salivated over that glorious demo, Spore would have been a huge hit and we'd all be MORE obsessed with it.  For all it's faults, I still say it's close to a masterpiece, if it isn't already--only time will tell.  Will is still a genius and I bet he'll make his next game a real winner.  He just needs to hide it until it's ready.
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 05:18:08 pm »
Anyone reading the comments on the main article page?

Who cares what he says. he's made one game to date and it wasn't even very good. No sim anything isn't a game.
I think I had a mild stroke after reading that.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 05:27:06 pm »
Oh my god you're right...
I call for stupid Joystiq poster genocide.
Seriously, did you see the number of Securom Protesters?
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »
Wow ..people seriously need to get over Securom...its not a big deal. If they are so miffed about it then they should stop pirating games then they wouldn't need to deal with anti piracy measures.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 06:16:54 pm »
I'm curious what his new game could be about. But at the same time I want to know nothing, NOTHING!

Either way, I'm sure Will and his team learned a great deal from Spore and its release and development, and will continue to learn as they work on the new project from Spore as it continues (expansions and so on).

What he could be doing when he's just made a game about the universe itself, though, I don't dare to fathom. Some sort of collaborative multiverse perhaps? A sort of shared omniverse of little player universes containing (chosen deity here)-only-knows-what, created by the players? Little universes with overlapping stories crossing one to the other in a grander multiverse would be cool.

I can't go into details about that though, basically because I've no idea what I'm on about.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

gec05

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 07:08:56 pm »
I'll put my money on Sim City 5.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 07:46:42 pm »
Nah, it'll be like, Sim FPS
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

gec05

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:28 pm »
Well you can't go wrong with Sim City 5. I mean, Sim City Societies was no excuse for a Sim City game and I think Wright has a reputation to uphold, especially when games like City Life take the spotlight.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 07:58:43 pm »
I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the Sims for once, or anything related to them.

gec05

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 08:11:33 pm »
Well, he said the Sims franchise will be it's own studio now. Maxis will be free to do new things now.

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 08:14:34 pm »
I waited for Spore since GDC 05, While i was not disappointed with the game, Waiting for it was not fun at all.
is it odd if i enjoyed the wait more than the game ???

No, That just means the game sucked.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 10:16:16 pm »
No that just means he didn't enjoy the game that much.

Offline FutureFilms

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:33 pm »
As he's already said he's keeping his lip shut. So just try to ignore any news related to "Will Wright's new game."

That won't happen, as always everyone will start thinking hes god again and go out and buy another game of his.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 11:34:14 pm »
Dwarf Fortress with graphics and a higher budget?

Ye gods!
the real saviour of this forum