Author Topic: Spore, Wired's 1# Most Disappointing Game Of The Year.  (Read 15677 times)

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
Re: Spore, Wired's 1# Most Disappointing Game Of The Year.
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »

I've been reading through some of the posts 

Are you saying that other's opinions are amking change yours to be part of the main stream?

@Protavis:"Pokemon has more strategy and gameplay than Spore.".

Explain.  Pokemon uses stats more then Spore does.

Pokemon (despite never having played it): Well, i could use my blast attack, but he's played a lot of defense cards in the past, so I bet he'll block my blast. I need to weaken his defenses first, but if I use this card, I won't be able to use it against his TOUGHER monsters...

Spore: 1. bite. bite. bite. strike. bite. bite. bite. eat corpse.
2. bite. bite. bite. strike. bite. bite. bite. die.
3. bite. bite. bite. strike. bite. bite. bite. run. get caught anyway. die.
4. sing. sing. sing. dance. sing. befriend.
That's the entire gameplay for the stage where you actually have control over your character. It only goes downhill from there. It's like the sims - you either buy parts that look nice but serve little purpose, or you save up to buy the most effective parts and don't care if anything matches. You can't even act out little stories in spore because you can't control anything.

Shut up.  Do you even know what you're talking about? (doubtful:Never played Pokemon).  What of the games?  Stats are everything, which was the original complaint in the first place.

Besides, they were mentioning stats from the beginning.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 01:39:32 pm »
i think he knows what he is talking about.

spore's gameplay is so damn simple a one year old with half its brain mssing could play it!

if you're mad at him for not getting his pokemon facts straight...well, i just have nothing to say to that.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »

I've been reading through some of the posts 

Are you saying that other's opinions are amking change yours to be part of the main stream?

What? No, I actually mean what I wrote in that post. The part of the post that you quoted was just to indicated that I had read the posts by other members.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2008, 01:53:31 pm »
Gameplay took a huge hit as soon as stats were added to the parts, as it stands people just stick the best parts on their creatures which is worse. Pokemon has more strategy and gameplay than Spore.

And I'd say that's because stats WERE the gameplay in Pokemon. There are some awesome games with NO stats. There are some awesme games that are nothing BUT stats. Then you have desktop pen & paper rpgs which are a great combination of creativity where stats help provide a framework for creativity and provide random events.

Spore tried to combine creativity and stats and failed on both parts. Putting stats on the parts wasn't the bad part, it's that it was done completely WRONG. It's as if they just randomly slapped stats onto parts without any thinking behind them. A bright colorful flower makes a 10 foot beast able to sneak up behind its enemies, yet all the noses, ears, eyes and antennae together don't help those enemies DETECT a ten foot beast with a little pink flower on its head?

As an aside -- does it bug anyone else that (in the game) the single-toed hoof is the SLOWEST of the hoofed feet (as well as being the first available during evolution), despite being the most MODERN and FASTEST of hooves in real life?

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2008, 11:33:32 pm »

@Protavis:"Pokemon has more strategy and gameplay than Spore.".

Explain.  Pokemon uses stats more then Spore does.

Stats and strategy aren't the same thing, I'm sorry you believe they are.

It's near impossible to lose in Spore. All the best parts, thus max stats, are accessible to all creations, the same can't be said for Pokemon were what is accessible to each pokemon varies.  If it came down to PVP the spore creature that wins is the one with the better parts or the player who mashes the keys faster, with Pokemon between two good players its more than just bashing the keys as fast as possible.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.