Poll

If Alians who were devout christians (and hadn't effected earth in any way before this visit) came to visit us, would you convert to christianity?

Yes, i'd convert.
I'm already christian.
No. I'm Atheist/whatever and i'm staying that way.

Author Topic: What If Alians had the same religion as us?  (Read 14042 times)

Offline SporeBuck

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Remember kids, it's only war crimes if you loose!
    • View Profile
Re: What If Alians had the same religion as us?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2008, 08:21:49 am »
sinse when is "the world" a perspective concept?

It's just that people didn't know the full extent of the world. now we do.

The term "the world" is not some variable phrase that means "Our general surroundings" Its a very difinable term meaning the planet earth and everything on it.

No it is. World varies between what "the world's" inhabitanst know of. "the World" I sconstnly expaneding most significantly with the "New World".
Boobs in Star Trek FTW.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2008, 09:00:02 am »
No. The world is always the same. The Known World was always expanding.
Never mind your own business.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2008, 03:14:01 pm »
I think we'd all have a lovely talk over tea, and then make en equally lovely decision.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:31 am »
1. Aliens

2. Shouldn't this be in the religion thread?

3. That's kinda impossible. Because, in any case, in "our" christianity, Earth is pretty much the centre of everything. Humans are the guardians etc. It wouldn't fit with Christianity, and so, well, it would counter it if anything.

Then there is also the fact that if they did hold the same beliefs as us, the chances of them having the same names and such, considering we may not even communicate in the same medium (ie. they might use light, ultrasonic frequencies, whatever. I mean, they're aliens, use your imagination.)

Then there is the fuss about actually making their way to our lonely planet, by some means of space travel that allows them to travel here in a lifetime: ie. impossible (unless god gave them longer lives...which according to christianity he wouldn't.)

So yeh.
Ok. Sorry to double post but this way of thinking realy sinks my synapses.

First of all the term “world’ is a highly perspective concept. To a bacterium an inch is the world, to a tapeworm an intestine is the world, to Europeans before the 15th century Eurasiafrica was the world. Likewise, to us, Earth is "the world". It is the same thing with considering “man" to mean “human”. In nearly every culture on earth the word for “man’ was limited to a member of your clan/nation etc.  This slowly expanded as their community grew. Eventually, humans may consider extraterrestrials as “man" and the entire universe “world” the terracentric view is merely a result of perspective lenses.

And as for your space travel comment, that's another thread.

I didn't use the word "world" once
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.