Author Topic: Who here is still playing?  (Read 24717 times)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
Re: Who here is still playing?
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 09:48:01 am »
Honestly, the game is just too repetitive and doesn't offer near enough freedom. All the stuff that DarkDragon said is great, and I'd love to see it implemented, but it still wouldn't change the fact that the stages constantly push you down set paths to get to space stage and that most of the game is a giant grind. I was expecting Spore to be the ultimate sandbox simulation game but it turned out to not even really be a simulation game at all. Once you've played through it once, you've more or less seen everything there is to see. The only thing that is left is the editors which, while fantastic, are not near enough to keep me coming back to Spore.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »

Tribal Stage:

- Pets/Domesticated creatures.

You CAN domesticate up to 3 different creatures.

True that, but it isn't the same.  All they are used for is getting food, and that makes Tribe stage much too easy. 

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »
Personally I think the problem with Spore isn't the semi-cartoony look or too much freedom, the problem is the repetitiveness of the gameplay. Maxis spent too much time working on everything procedural except one thing: procedural gameplay.

What do I mean by procedural gameplay? Non-repetitive gameplay!

Here are a few examples of what could be implemented/improved though:

Overall
- Alternate underwater route for Creature -> Tribe -> Civ Stages.
- Being able to build colonies underwater after you get to space even if you didn't take the alternate route.

Cell Stage:
- Allow user made creatures to be shared and playable against in this stage.
- Unlock those extra parts ;)
- More random events and colors (seriously the water you swim around on could vary much more)

Creature Stage:
- Needs more interactivity as I'll point out next.
- Cannibalism (I know it's partially a game for children, but hey it exists in nature)
- Being able to form a family and take care of children, decide who goes hunting/gathering and who protects children, etc.
- Pack hierarchy, someone has to be in charge.
- Pack "missions", such as go hunting/gathering for pack or give everyone "orders".
- More variations in size, color, etc.
- Being able to "build" a nest given you have enough of your kind in your pack. Nest location would influence how safe it is from predators too.
- More random events like spaceship crashing and stuff like that, maybe an Event editor would be cool so people could create their random events and they would show up in other peoples games.

Tribal Stage:
- Tool/Weapon & Hut Editors.
- Keep most of the stuff from the previous stage such as forming family and pack hierarchy becomes Tribe hierarchy.
- Not much more to add, I like this stage.
- Religion editor, where you can set up your races beliefs, etc.
- Pets/Domesticated creatures.
- Farms.
- Mountable creatures.

City/Civilization Stage:
- More Sim City like control.
- More kinds of resources, I recommend: food, stone, metal (gold, silver, etc), bioproducts (wood, etc) and spice
- Update city buildings so they need those resources.
- Being able to create buildings outside city walls which would require different use of resources.
- A "Building Purpose" editor, imagine you create a building purpose, something like "+5 Health on Land Vehicles, -8 Sporebucks -> 5 seconds" would mean it heals any land vehicle by 5 and removes 8 sporebucks every 8 seconds, this could be then attributed to any building that you could create and place outside of the city boundaries.
- More missions & Mission Editor.
- Expandable city walls + Planet-wide cities.
- "Government" editor, where you can set up what kind of people your race is.

Space Stage
- I want that Flora Editor  :'(
- More missions & Mission editor (that one is coming)
- More than 3 damn colonies per planet + the features in civ stage would give us endless hours of planet costumization.
- Fleets and fleet control/organization. Also being able to protect your planets earlier on.
- More ways to protect your planets.
- Once you become really powerful nothing should be able to stop you from creating/destroying solar systems & stars.
- More star types, it's missing some.
- Being able to visit other galaxies (this wouldn't use much space, they're just alternate galaxies where you can travel to and colonize.
- More galaxy types (so far we only have spiral).
- Being able to visit gas giants and build floating buildings on them that harvest spice from the atmosphere.
- More planet sizes & orbits.
- More interaction with lower "level" civilizations.
- Being able to build stargate-like buildings in your planets.
- A technology web like the one in Galactic Civilizations so you have to research some technologies in order to get more advanced ones.
- Increase that damn trade route system!

There are probably more but these are the ones that came to mind, and they would certainly increase the re-playability of Spore by a long shot!

if all of these were implemented, i believe id be perfectly happy with spore. i think this is more than able to do in one expansion and if maxis listen we should be fine :)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 03:53:21 pm »
I have been having fun with Sagan 4, Sims 2 and Civ 4. I have been trying to play Spore too now and then but its becoming not as fun anymore. :( I feel more sad that I feel this way since I waited years for this game. And now I would rather play other games than Spore. What heck happened !? This is not the way I imagined I would be after having Spore.  :-\

That's suprising, coming from you. :(

Maxis has a long way to go I see.

I am surprised as you. I feel almost guilty since I have been a huge fan for Spore. What i think happened is the Spore we waited for and the Spore that came are 2 diffrent games. This is not really the fault of Maxis but really just the side effect of waiting for a game for so long. I imagined Spore to be a lot like the Spore forum games and stories and we did back in the day. I was expecting a lot more sandbox style play. I also think overall its just too shallow. Once you have gotten to the center of the Galaxy a few times you have pretty much done it all. Games like the Sims 2 and Civ 4 have a lot more depth and replayability. Civ 4 is the hardcore gamer's game just like Sim City 4 was. Spore has sadly become like Sim City Societies in how its been marketed to casual gamers.

However the editors are revolutionary and are a dream for creative people like me. The problem is you have all these cool creatures, vehicles and buildings but nothing new to do with them. I find it extremely ironic that my made up game Sagan 4 has a lot more depth as a forum game than Spore has as a computer game. Sure it doesn't have all the fancy editors but it has the imagination and addictive quality to it.

I mean i wonder sometimes if we are just asking too much. I mean Maxis has worked their butts off to make the game and now we sound ungrateful. In short I am glad Maxis made Spore and all that came with it be finding friends along the way and the many online projects people have made because of it. And even though Spore game play has not gotten me excited as i use to be I still feel the spirit of Pre-Spore lives on and could possibly make Spore better in future expansions. I also hope that spore can inspire the next generation to get into art and science since i believe at least the ideas and editors of Spore have the power to do so.

(i made the text smaller to conserve room)
i totally agree, i dint know if we overhyped it, or it was just from a long wait, i have no clue.
i thought spore would be like what we made it out to be in the Creation Corner, of course you could not have something as intense as Beyon City, but still very open. sadly the game was split into two groups the whole way through, kill guys or don't, with a bit of a middle ground to just mix things up. honestly when i saw the Nauceans i loved them and that is why i really was excited for Spore. Of Course i knew a lot of things couldn't be replicated in the game but sadly, almost all of the good stuff was cut out...

I played the CC constantly! i though this game was going to be truly revolutionary, but when i got the game and played through it got bland and the repetitive gameplay began to pester and annoy, and a game, especially a game made to be for casual gamers as well, should not be...boring...it should not make you think: "why am i playing this when i could be playing this?" but sadly, i found myself asking that a few times.

i wasn't not a major Spore Roleplayer here, but i was lurking for a while and i guess i overhyped myself from getting into all of that stuff.

it just seems weird to see Hydro dissapointed with the final product though, he seemed the most interested in the game, more than anyone I know :-\

*sobs*
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:21:57 pm by Skyward Descent »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 06:34:49 pm »
Kinda sad, but Spore isn't going to get a Single dime out of me until it either fails miserably and they are reduced to packageing the game with the 1 or 2 "expansion" packs they manage to make and sell it for under $20 USD.
Or until they somehow succeed and bundle the game with the many and all expansion packs they produce that finally make spore like the game Will Wright talked about in 2005-2007 and sell it for under $50 USD.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 02:52:10 am »
[stuff]... I was expecting Spore to be the ultimate sandbox simulation game but it turned out to not even really be a simulation game at all. ...[etc.]

This is the true problem with Spore.
Instead of it being a sandbox-type simulation game it just simply isn't even a simulation game at all.

It is simply a repetitive mess of levels, barely connected by your creations, which are barely used afterwards.
Even Pong can be less repetitive....
Even if you get to choose what your paddle and the ball looks like each time you play, Pong is still Pong.
But at least Pong changes depending on where the ball bounces... Spore, never really changes.

If you went Carnivore, Agressive, Military, or any other 'paths' the only real difference is 1 'super power' which again doesn't really affect gameplay at all. Just one example of Spore's redundant dynamics.

Whatever happened to simulation? Whatever happened to the procedural stuff?

If Maxis think Repetition = Simulation, then they've been REALLY lucky to get this far.

What I really want to know is.... Why did Will Wright not take a slightly more authoritative role in the game's development?
He should have foreseen this coming. How did none of them foresee this?
Or did they simply not have any ideas on how to fix it before EA forced the release? Was that really the problem?

I'd rather have waited 3+ more years for a Spore with good simulation and good gameplay than the Spore we have now without either.

Do any of you guys really think expansions are going to solve Spore's REAL problems?

Because for myself, I'm probably going to wait until 'Spore 2' gets some reviews... if they ever make one.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 03:13:31 am »
There's one of the points I've been making when discussing the game with other people.
If the game was a half decent simulation to begin with, I don't think so many people would be having an issue with it.

Know what I would simply love to see? Don't tie us down to paths or stages, or bother us with crap like "click here to evolve".
No stages. Less direction. Less UI dependence.
But that's not all. More simulation.
How this is done, I don't really care. I'm a critical consumer, one of many who simply found this product to be weak.
I won't give up on it though. I care where this goes. That's why so many people have complained so much you know, because they do give two craps about it.
The one major tell if this little project will go anywhere good is what we'll be getting in this next expansion.

As for me playing Spore, you would never have seen me get the 100 hours achievement. I think it would have been lucky if I'd grazed 30.
Guys, look at what I'm playing now instead. I am playing World of Warcraft, purely out of boredom.
World of frigging Warcraft.
This sucks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:22:24 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 05:15:55 am »
Some of the complaints are completely absurd. Some are just flat wrong.

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2008, 06:14:49 am »
I have opened up the editors just to look at them blankly for want of inspiration. They just don't seem to matter. Spaceships, you never get a good look at them in game. Buildings are difficult because of editor limitations. Meh...

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 07:10:19 am »
I would play, but my mouse wheel is broken and I'm too lazy to buy another one...
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 10:44:57 pm »
i totally agree, i dint know if we overhyped it, or it was just from a long wait, i have no clue.
i thought spore would be like what we made it out to be in the Creation Corner, of course you could not have something as intense as Beyon City, but still very open. sadly the game was split into two groups the whole way through, kill guys or don't, with a bit of a middle ground to just mix things up. honestly when i saw the Nauceans i loved them and that is why i really was excited for Spore. Of Course i knew a lot of things couldn't be replicated in the game but sadly, almost all of the good stuff was cut out...

I think you hit the nail on the head. I imagined the game like how i made my Nauceans where every species was unique and had their own personality. I was also looking forward Beyon City like planet where we could interact with other races in Space phase. Sure neither could have that much detail but even a more simplified version would have been nice such as being able to pick civilization traits like the Civilization series games. I mean there are "traits" in the game but they don't seem to do much other than give you bonuses. I mean besides say the "Splode" worshipers its hard to even tell what another AI's traits are.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 09:43:39 am »
I would play, but my mouse wheel is broken and I'm too lazy to buy another one...

Can't you use the arrow keys in the CC and something like x and z in space?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2008, 01:43:27 pm »

I think you hit the nail on the head. I imagined the game like how i made my Nauceans where every species was unique and had their own personality. I was also looking forward Beyon City like planet where we could interact with other races in Space phase. Sure neither could have that much detail but even a more simplified version would have been nice such as being able to pick civilization traits like the Civilization series games. I mean there are "traits" in the game but they don't seem to do much other than give you bonuses. I mean besides say the "Splode" worshipers its hard to even tell what another AI's traits are.

that brings up another point, what happened to culturaly diverse planets, its all one race per planet in civ and space :-\
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:58 pm »

that brings up another point, what happened to culturaly diverse planets, its all one race per planet in civ and space :-\

I agree, we've all seen Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other science fiction show or even read science fiction books where they have places with various aliens milling around going about thier business.

Hopefully we could have that in the space expansion that comes out in the spring. I don't see how it would not be possible. I might not expect it on the homeworld, but on colonies, I'm sure there are traders and the like from various species. Even if it's not the spice trade, theres still all kinds of commodities (everything imaginable actually) that would be traded among the citizens of the empires.

Having some space stations with that kind of thing would be cool, as long as we can maybe see and mill around in there.

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2008, 02:16:38 pm »
A lot of things went wrong in my estimation.. Hydromancer - this was not our fault... expecting much from the most hyped game of all time is no sin.. hyping the game as the second coming was on the game makers not the fans.

The list of what went wrong to my mind is something like this:

1) Great diversity of content ruined by the fact that all this diversity is just cosmetic. If you've seen one creature - you may as well have seen them all - sure they look different but there is a lot more to a species than how it looks.

2) Colony/City lay-outs are boring and cookie-cutter garbage. It gets back to the diversity but no diversity thing from item 1. Sure we have all these different buildings - but when you place them all on the same freaking circular grids - it gets to looking the same.

3) The size of celestial bodies and the homogeneity of those bodies - again just like point one - all the stars on the galactic overview are represented as the same size and come in all of 4 colors. Where's the sense that we are journeying through space? Where's the sense of scale?

4) No depth in the deepest parts of the game - Civ and Space. I can see it with the early phases - but there should e more depth starting with Creature phase and moving forward into the other phases..

5) The game was watered down for a mass audience with no consideration for the depth that straegy gamers and so on really enjoy. How much freaking money was spent in development? With all that brain power and resources somehow no one could figure out how to make a game that (on it's surface) was sinple enough for the casual player but that allowed for greater depth for the "gamer" crowd. I don't even consider myself a gamer and I found SPORE's lack of depth to be sad. Heck MAXIS - just put an "Advanced SPORE" option under a gameplay menu so you could've had two versions of the same game... one for the folks who loved Bejewelled and one for the thinking members of the human race!!!

Otherwise I am currently playing - but I don't see going too much further after I hit the center.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:18:10 pm by papaboom »