Author Topic: Who here is still playing?  (Read 24719 times)

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Re: Who here is still playing?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »
I have been having fun with Sagan 4, Sims 2 and Civ 4. I have been trying to play Spore too now and then but its becoming not as fun anymore. :( I feel more sad that I feel this way since I waited years for this game. And now I would rather play other games than Spore. What heck happened !? This is not the way I imagined I would be after having Spore.  :-\

I know what you mean Hydro..

I've mostly been playing Fallout 3 (which, as far as I'm concerned, is the perfect example of what a game should be like). I start up Spore every now and then to download creations and delete the ones I hate, but other than that, not much going on here..

I actually tried doing a little designing the other day, but I quit after about half an hour, after losing my inspiration and my desire to tinker around with the game. I started up Colonization II and didn't stop for about 4 hours..  :P

I completely agree with you; this is not what I had imagined Spore would be like.. Wasted a good part of three years of my life waiting for what looked like the game of my life.. :-\

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »
Between the time that I posted my first responce to the original question and now it seems that I have started to become bored with the core game. I'm now starting to work more with the editors. In the future I might move on to something else all together. I still feel that Spore is a good game, and that it will improve over time with expansions. However, in it's current state the game can become somewhat tiresome after a while.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 09:21:12 pm »
I'm still playing.  I have played pretty much just two races; one using cheats to built a bridge of systems to the center of the galaxy so the race I've been playing to death and not cheating with would have a cake walk to the center, it worked quite well.  I also keep myself entertained by watching less evolved planet bound races and blowing their cities up with anti-matter bombs ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:35 am »
I have been having fun with Sagan 4, Sims 2 and Civ 4. I have been trying to play Spore too now and then but its becoming not as fun anymore. :( I feel more sad that I feel this way since I waited years for this game. And now I would rather play other games than Spore. What heck happened !? This is not the way I imagined I would be after having Spore.  :-\

That's suprising, coming from you. :(

Maxis has a long way to go I see.

I am surprised as you. I feel almost guilty since I have been a huge fan for Spore. What i think happened is the Spore we waited for and the Spore that came are 2 diffrent games. This is not really the fault of Maxis but really just the side effect of waiting for a game for so long. I imagined Spore to be a lot like the Spore forum games and stories and we did back in the day. I was expecting a lot more sandbox style play. I also think overall its just too shallow. Once you have gotten to the center of the Galaxy a few times you have pretty much done it all. Games like the Sims 2 and Civ 4 have a lot more depth and replayability. Civ 4 is the hardcore gamer's game just like Sim City 4 was. Spore has sadly become like Sim City Societies in how its been marketed to casual gamers.

However the editors are revolutionary and are a dream for creative people like me. The problem is you have all these cool creatures, vehicles and buildings but nothing new to do with them. I find it extremely ironic that my made up game Sagan 4 has a lot more depth as a forum game than Spore has as a computer game. Sure it doesn't have all the fancy editors but it has the imagination and addictive quality to it.

I mean i wonder sometimes if we are just asking too much. I mean Maxis has worked their butts off to make the game and now we sound ungrateful. In short I am glad Maxis made Spore and all that came with it be finding friends along the way and the many online projects people have made because of it. And even though Spore game play has not gotten me excited as i use to be I still feel the spirit of Pre-Spore lives on and could possibly make Spore better in future expansions. I also hope that spore can inspire the next generation to get into art and science since i believe atleast the ideas and editors of Spore have the power to do so.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 01:26:09 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2008, 04:07:38 am »
Thats it..
We can't just wait around here, whining and and begging for maxis to improve Spore. I've seen this happen before with other games. The difference here, was that for those games, the fansbase decided to do something about the quality of the game, and mod it to what they wanted.
There are some new modding tools here, and if we just wait a little longer, we might just mod spore back to greatness.
(Although, we might need a SDK for that)
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2008, 06:21:35 am »
Don't feel guilty, Hydro.  Just think of it as that you haven't waited long enough yet.  The Spore we want is still possible, but no matter what they did, our glorious Spore on a Pedestal would take longer than 3 years of production to make.  You'd have either wait for them to put more into it in the initial release, or wait for them to release expansions after release.  Is it really so bad that you've ONLY played the game for 3 months since release?

Maxis always had an uphill battle with Spore.  On one hand they have a new game unlike most other games out there with many new features, so they don't have any other successful game models showcasing how the game should be.  They were also going with the mixed genres which most game designers stay away from because of all the problems that they bring. On the second hand, the game model is so large, that they can't really make any of the phases full games like Civ 4. 

Now that the game is out, they can start working on expanding the game to fill it out on the second hand as well as fix a few of the problems on the first hand.   Most of the problems of the first hand would be fixed by Spore 2, because they have the first to learn from.   

So, you just have to wait a little longer for some expansions, or a lot longer for Spore 2.

It was around the middle of 2007 that I started thinking that the game would be really bad.  But then I saw the DICE video, and was reminded what they were up against when they started talking about the scope of the game.  I realized that the Spore that I was expecting and most everyone else was expecting was impossible to make in the first release.   I went back and watched the GDC2005 demo, and sure enough, Will said, "The gameplay is going to be very very simple!"  How come I never heard it before? Maybe because I was blinded by the scope of the game and my own ideas of what they could do with such a new and big idea.  Once you realize they're only human and are subject to the forces of time and money, that you realize that they have to do their best to scope it out small enough to finish it with the time and budget constraints.

And I don't think the game is really bad.  I just stopped thinking it was going to be one of the best games ever.  It is a good game as it is now, and deserves the metacritic score of 8.

/edited for typos and extra clarification.  I was running out the door when I typed it the first time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:38:54 am by Lippy »

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2008, 06:28:27 am »
Someone must post that on the spourm now. That was an amazing post Lippy.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 10:18:59 pm »
And I don't think the game is really bad.  I just stopped thinking it was going to be one of the best games ever.  It is a good game as it is now, and deserves the metacritic score of 8.

Oh I never said Spore was bad. In fact I love Spore, I just wish there was more. That's all. It probably a good thing that we want more, rather than not want more. Cause if we did, Maxis could never sell us more Spore stuff. And I mean Maxis does listen to the fans so I am hoping that each phase will become much deeper than it is now. The real gauge will be the Space expansion. If that gives a good amount of depth to the game then I will have much more confidence in the future of Spore.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:21:11 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 01:22:08 am »
*insert obligatory "I haven't played Spore in a long while..." statement*

I don't think wanting more is necessarily a good thing for Spore. Not in the sense which everyone means it.

While Spore can be added on, developed, and fleshed out more-so with expansions... the Core game of Spore is what it is.... which is an extremely shallow video game with some semi-deep object building programs built in.

When everyone says "I want more" in reference to Spore, it's not that they want an expansion worth a few more hours of gameplay. No, Spore needed a core gameplay element in the original game that let us all continue to play with everything we've created and have much more purpose.

And I'm not talking about something overly fleshed out to begin with.
The game is lacking a very fundamental gameplay element and relies completely on it's in-game editors.

Something so fundamental is not easily added with an "expansion pack".

Sure, Spore is a good 'video game' in what is now a very loose phrase.... but it is not a very good video "GAME", because it lacks what a great game should have.

*I waited for Spore since the very first day Spore was shown by Will Wright.
I honestly thought that with Will Wright being in charge, with his inspirations and aspirations, this would turn out to be a game I played for years.

Spore is fun. But there are many very good games out recently and more coming soon. After playing through it once or twice, I can not see how anyone can stand it much longer. There truly is no replay value to Spore as a game.
And there is relatively no point to the editors without the game. Which I personally think was Maxis's biggest mistake in design. And the lack of foresight on this element truly astounds me

Again, I know that Spore is a good game. The expansion packs I'm sure will be very fun while they last. But I simply can not imagine Spore ever being anything what any of us dreamed it to be.
It simply lacks the 'universal core' that all video games should have.
And I think it will always be as shallow as their answer to what exists at the Universe's Core.

Perhaps one day in a few years, with an expansion pack bundle for $20 or so I might pick it up again and play, remembering all those days I wasted waiting for "Will Wright's Masterpiece". And I will know that I will never be so foolish to dream such a dream from Electronic Arts, ever, ever again.

If there is one good epithome of crushed dreams, I believe EA is it.

... Some things I had to get off my chest.
I ask Maxis to feel free to prove me wrong.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2008, 02:17:19 am »
Personally I think the problem with Spore isn't the semi-cartoony look or too much freedom, the problem is the repetitiveness of the gameplay. Maxis spent too much time working on everything procedural except one thing: procedural gameplay.

What do I mean by procedural gameplay? Non-repetitive gameplay!

Here are a few examples of what could be implemented/improved though:

Overall
- Alternate underwater route for Creature -> Tribe -> Civ Stages.
- Being able to build colonies underwater after you get to space even if you didn't take the alternate route.

Cell Stage:
- Allow user made creatures to be shared and playable against in this stage.
- Unlock those extra parts ;)
- More random events and colors (seriously the water you swim around on could vary much more)

Creature Stage:
- Needs more interactivity as I'll point out next.
- Cannibalism (I know it's partially a game for children, but hey it exists in nature)
- Being able to form a family and take care of children, decide who goes hunting/gathering and who protects children, etc.
- Pack hierarchy, someone has to be in charge.
- Pack "missions", such as go hunting/gathering for pack or give everyone "orders".
- More variations in size, color, etc.
- Being able to "build" a nest given you have enough of your kind in your pack. Nest location would influence how safe it is from predators too.
- More random events like spaceship crashing and stuff like that, maybe an Event editor would be cool so people could create their random events and they would show up in other peoples games.

Tribal Stage:
- Tool/Weapon & Hut Editors.
- Keep most of the stuff from the previous stage such as forming family and pack hierarchy becomes Tribe hierarchy.
- Not much more to add, I like this stage.
- Religion editor, where you can set up your races beliefs, etc.
- Pets/Domesticated creatures.
- Farms.
- Mountable creatures.

City/Civilization Stage:
- More Sim City like control.
- More kinds of resources, I recommend: food, stone, metal (gold, silver, etc), bioproducts (wood, etc) and spice
- Update city buildings so they need those resources.
- Being able to create buildings outside city walls which would require different use of resources.
- A "Building Purpose" editor, imagine you create a building purpose, something like "+5 Health on Land Vehicles, -8 Sporebucks -> 5 seconds" would mean it heals any land vehicle by 5 and removes 8 sporebucks every 8 seconds, this could be then attributed to any building that you could create and place outside of the city boundaries.
- More missions & Mission Editor.
- Expandable city walls + Planet-wide cities.
- "Government" editor, where you can set up what kind of people your race is.

Space Stage
- I want that Flora Editor  :'(
- More missions & Mission editor (that one is coming)
- More than 3 damn colonies per planet + the features in civ stage would give us endless hours of planet costumization.
- Fleets and fleet control/organization. Also being able to protect your planets earlier on.
- More ways to protect your planets.
- Once you become really powerful nothing should be able to stop you from creating/destroying solar systems & stars.
- More star types, it's missing some.
- Being able to visit other galaxies (this wouldn't use much space, they're just alternate galaxies where you can travel to and colonize.
- More galaxy types (so far we only have spiral).
- Being able to visit gas giants and build floating buildings on them that harvest spice from the atmosphere.
- More planet sizes & orbits.
- More interaction with lower "level" civilizations.
- Being able to build stargate-like buildings in your planets.
- A technology web like the one in Galactic Civilizations so you have to research some technologies in order to get more advanced ones.
- Increase that damn trade route system!

There are probably more but these are the ones that came to mind, and they would certainly increase the re-playability of Spore by a long shot!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:18:51 am by DarkDragon »
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2008, 02:19:30 am »
YES.

The reason I uninstalled was because every damn game was more or less the exact same.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2008, 03:27:11 am »
-lots and lots of text-

I am Huckbuck, and I approve this message.
@davidramnero

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 07:50:24 am »
I dont play it anyomore, because im bloody dissapointed of the patches, the WAAAAAY too early marketing with addons...

I loved this game before it came out, and when it came out i still loved it, every day id play with no probs at all
and then i installed the patches and everything went dark from there on....
i hate maxis and ea for ruining my dreams...:(
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 03:12:07 pm »

Tribal Stage:

- Pets/Domesticated creatures.

You CAN domesticate up to 3 different creatures.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2008, 03:40:41 pm »

I know what you mean Hydro..

I've mostly been playing Fallout 3 (which, as far as I'm concerned, is the perfect example of what a game should be like). I start up Spore every now and then to download creations and delete the ones I hate, but other than that, not much going on here..

I actually tried doing a little designing the other day, but I quit after about half an hour, after losing my inspiration and my desire to tinker around with the game. I started up Colonization II and didn't stop for about 4 hours..  :P

I completely agree with you; this is not what I had imagined Spore would be like.. Wasted a good part of three years of my life waiting for what looked like the game of my life.. :-\
you just summed up all of my opinions on this game :'(
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!