Poll

Do You hate it?

It's the best thing ever. I would choose it over sex!
3 (5.9%)
it's brilliant!
8 (15.7%)
it's good!
19 (37.3%)
Strictly Average.
11 (21.6%)
Bad Game.
5 (9.8%)
Awful Game!
0 (0%)
I HATE IT TOO!!! It should be banned!!
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: I hate Guitar Hero! Who's with me!?  (Read 11347 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
I hate Guitar Hero! Who's with me!?
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:47:49 am »
I'm looking around on the internet for a new guitar and to get an idea of whats available i type Les Paul into ebay as they're my favourite kind of guitar and all i get are freakin guitar hero guitars. I'm sick of this thing. I look for song tabs and i get idiots bragging about how they can play this song guitar hero.

Its a game where a band that only gets 80% of its notes correct gets blazing 5 start reviews and you can post a video on youtube of you getting 100% on expert and people will comend and envy you on how much of your life you've wasted.

It boggles my mind it really does.

Never mind your own business.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Guitar Hero! Who's with me!?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:07 am »
Its actually awesome.

You probably are just bad at it.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:43 am »
why not spend all those hours learning an actual instrument?

i was watching the in bloom music video on youtube and the comments section had people proudly boasting "i can get 100% on this song in guitar hero!".

so? its a game. Music is one of the most defining aspects of any culture. I love music. Its an obsession of mine. Its the only thing that all cultures have and appreciate and people make million releasing a game where you pretend to play guitar.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:41 am »
Is THAT many options on a poll really necessary? 3 would suffice methinks.

why not spend all those hours learning an actual instrument?

Now, I don't play it. But it makes more sense to play this than taking the insane amount of hours needed to learn a "real" instrument.

The game is cheaper, faster to learn, and easy to throw away.

A real Guitar takes commitment.

Some people don't want that. They want to easy way. Fine. But no one is impressed with it other than other Guitar Hero players. And that's the trade-off.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:36 am »
i wanna good idea of how much people like it.

its just annoying to see something so important to me reduced to something so stupid and trivial.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:26:23 am »
It's a fun game. Go one step further and let's talk about Rock Band. Every time I go to a party with Rock Band there's always a fight over which girl gets to use the mic. That's a blast! Plus it's a great way to meet people, oddly enough.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:27:31 am »
i wanna good idea of how much people like it.

its just annoying to see something so important to me reduced to something so stupid and trivial.

Who says its stupid? It teaches people the songs doesn't it? Those people who have 100% could probably recite the entire song to you, is that not cultural expansion of music? Just because they cant play a real guitar doesn't lessen their interest and passion for music.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:40:32 am »
If anything, the world needs fewer guitar players and Guitar Hero is doing an immaculate job at that. Our college quads are becoming congested with douchebags who think it's cool to sit out there in the grass strumming the first few chords to a song that they think makes them deep and mysterious. We need them out of the way so that the only true non-douche activity can happen: Ultimate Frisbee.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:32 am »
having the ability to recite songs isn't cultural expansion.  Its just an annoying fad.
you could use that logic to argue sining into a hairbrush is cultural expansion.

if you wanna buy something and waste your time thats fine but its this hole thing where i can't escape it. its everywhere. You cant avoid hearing about it.

Our college quads are becoming congested with douchebags who think it's cool to sit out there in the grass strumming the first few chords to a song that they think makes them deep and mysterious.

I hate them aswell.  They've started learning for all the rong reasons. You shouldn't start learning just to try and acheive a look you want. I try very hard to avoid that. I don't play when friends are over or when i have company plus the main instrument i can play is piano.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:50:04 am »
guitar hero is a fun game...the people who obsess about it are just stupid...but thats the same with everything

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:59 am »
Meh, I don't really care for it.  Not awful, but not the wonderful thing it is cut out to be.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:00:35 am »
I don't find it that great, I get the same level of enjoyment out of an in browser flash game.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:15:25 am »
Call me crazy, but haven't people been memorizing and reciting songs since songs were invented? That's a mighty powerful fad, my friends!

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:19:52 am »
Call me crazy, but haven't people been memorizing and reciting songs since songs were invented? That's a mighty powerful fad, my friends!

I agree with this.  What's so bad about singing into a hairbrush?

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 12:17:42 pm »
well guitar hero players tend to be Rock Star Wannabes and rather than actually learn an instrument and put in the effort they just pretend they are by jumping up and down in their bedroom with a giant game controler listening to Cliche rock.

imagine if say. . .  thats all Eric Clapton did or Dave Grohl or Axl Rose did.

Its not cultural expansion its the opposite. Atleast when you sing into a hairbrush you atleast practice singing while your imagining you have a crowd of adoring fans.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »
People obviously pretend they have an audience when they play Guitar Hero...

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 12:22:12 pm »
imagine if say. . .  thats all Eric Clapton did or Dave Grohl or Axl Rose did.

Then I'd say that you are ignorant. But there's ignorant people everywhere. Axl Rose is pretty ignorant and he's a douchebag. :-\

Chinese Democracy my ass...

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »
I'm happy to say Guitar Hero is a game, and a lot of people seem to enjoy it. However, when you start counting high scores or 100%s as something more than just a high score on a video game and as an actual accomplishment in life, that's kiiiinda weeeeird.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 12:56:34 pm »
well guitar hero players tend to be Rock Star Wannabes and rather than actually learn an instrument and put in the effort they just pretend they are by jumping up and down in their bedroom with a giant game controler listening to Cliche rock.

Well, it's not like they expect to be rock stars.

It's all "pretend".

It's not like people are playing their Fantasy games and they actually think they are a Knight of Camelot.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »
.... Er....

Actually, there are people who do.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 01:31:59 pm »
and there are people who think they discuss war strategy with Charlemagne on the streets of San Fransisco.

Let's not bunch up the crazy people with the normal ones. As opposed to the general idea that everyone who plays Guitar Hero thinks they're Angus Young.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 03:15:17 pm »
it's because when you and some mates are setting around the console Rocking out playing a rolling stones track it is pure un-adulterated fun. It's not a real instrument so what Rock Band had it's Australian release (here I go my personal sounding like a broken record moment) just last Friday. So I been playing that game fair bit In an no time at all I can pick the game and be playing Foo Fighters - Learn to fly. To do so with a real guitar would take months of practice. Do i think I'm actually Dave Grohl? Heck no. Am I having fun? Darn tootin. The feeling is multiplied when I get friends to join me we pretend we are cool and we have fun.

Further point I've heard guitar sales are up as a result of Guitar hero/rock band people are wanting to learn to play for real from this very accessible medium.

Finally i leave you with case and point.

gec05

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 03:28:56 pm »
Sheesh Brutus, do you have something against people's form of pleasure and fun? The game is awesome because it fun. Not because it teaches you how to actually play an instrument. I'm pretty sure people are aware of that. And what makes it so great is that you can bond with your friends and have a good time. That is the true spirit of these music games.

As Cobra said, not everyone can commit to learning an instrument and perform in a family environment. Not everyone has that luxury. But I'm pretty sure you feel more attached to the friends you play with.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 04:05:44 pm »
If anything, the world needs fewer guitar players and Guitar Hero is doing an immaculate job at that. Our college quads are becoming congested with douchebags who think it's cool to sit out there in the grass strumming the first few chords to a song that they think makes them deep and mysterious. We need them out of the way so that the only true non-douche activity can happen: Ultimate Frisbee.

Actually, on this point I will agree with you. The people at my school who will bring a guitar a butcher a Christian/Country song...oh there are so many. The songs are bad to begin with, and then add in horrid guitar and some atrocious vocals....bleh.

But I know a lot of people who picked up real guitar due to guitar hero, or picked up percussion because of rock band.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »
I don't really think this thread was made because of "RAWW, I HATE PEOPLE WHO PLAY ROCKBAND AND GUITAR HERO!"...

Ok, maybe. But more likely, you have to add "AND THINK THEY ARE MORE AWESOME THEN HOT SAUCE!" to the end.

They can have their fun, but leave it in the bedroom, or whereever it is they play with themselves.

... what were we talking about?

gec05

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 04:43:44 pm »
About people's silly conception that they can play a real guitar because they played Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

Those kinds of people should be blamed themselves, not the game.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 06:42:04 am »
The game itself is fun. It's "hardcore" fans (how can you be hardcore about a casual game anyway?) can be irritating though.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 07:48:39 am »
(how can you be hardcore about a casual game anyway?)

Because 'hardcore' and 'casual' are stupid and arbitrary labels for games which actually occupy a complex spectrum.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 08:43:00 am »
and there are people who think they discuss war strategy with Charlemagne on the streets of San Fransisco.

Ha... Have you been stalking me?!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 10:11:46 am »
I don't like guitar hero, rock band, any eyetoy a games, and most wii titles. Because i don't like casual gimmicks where you need to buy extra equipment or controllers to play them.

Though i admit i did have rock band and while it was fun i regret it because it was not worth the huge price tag.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 02:39:50 pm »
Who the hell said they'd pick Guitar hero over sex!?

gec05

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 02:44:11 pm »
Why did you even put that option in the first place?

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
i dunno. To see if someone would click it and to try and ensure that no-one would click it.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 03:51:33 pm »

actually i belive you made a few mistakes... i will take care of them for you!

well guitar hero players tend to be for people who like rock music but don't have the attention span to learn a real instrument- nevermind start a band. Rather than actually learn how to play an instrument and put in the effort, they just pretend they are by jumping up and down in their bedroom with a giant game controler listening to decent rock so they don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on something that takes too much effort to learn how to even use, which they would most likely give up mid-way, seeing it is far too difficult than playing GH on expert. which brings me to my next point, people play it because it is simple, and fun without the hassle of a learning to play real guitar. people want to learn to play a real guitar so they can actually benefit from it whether it be from having a true skill or you want to start a band, which is fine! but others want simply to play guitar hero because they don't want to do any of the things i just said (Ex: start a band or care about learning the guitar)...

overall it isn't bad, but its not better than sex (whoever said it was is...different...) it does however irk me to a painful state to see people addicted to it thinking they benefited from clicking buttons in a certain pattern and that they are better than you for it making them human dieties placed on this Earth to destroy all who appose them and to spread the decent-ness that is Guitar Hero...

I made my point, I HAVE SPOKEN!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:03:35 pm by Skyward Descent »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 03:51:57 pm »
I didn't click it, I know that much.  That person is weird, seriously.  Guitar Hero over the greatest pleasure?  Not that I would know...

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 04:18:37 pm »
You know what's interesting? My brother, now 18 years of age, is an avid Rock Band/Guitar Hero fan. Then, get this, he and a few of his friends actually picked up some instruments and learned to play. And they don't sound like crap. I know it's silly, but it turns out some of the skills are actually transferable to real instruments.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 04:30:14 pm »
its the hand-eye coordination maybe?  :-\
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 04:34:39 pm »
Bah, it's like saying using a computer keyboard makes you better at piano...  It's just totally different.  They had the skills to begin with obviously.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 04:35:15 pm »
There are some similarities. They are very different though still that is sort of what these rythem games are about making it easy to pick up an instrument.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 04:50:12 pm »
I just bought Rock Band 2 for my brother-in-law. Fun will be had... oh yes. OF THIS YOU CAN BE CERTAIN!

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:46 pm »
I can't wait until 2012 then i can have Rock Band 2.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 06:23:32 pm »
Palin for Prez and Rockband 2 for Cobra!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »
Finally getting a Rock Band 2 release heck I'd endorse Palin for that.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 06:50:21 am »
I didn't click it, I know that much.  That person is weird, seriously.  Guitar Hero over the greatest pleasure?  Not that I would know...

It would be wierd if you did considering your like 12 or something. i can't remember exactly but your young i know that much.

It seems that the thread has turned into a simple discussion about GH.  thats cool i guess.

How long do you think it takes to get to beat songs on like 100% expert?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 09:21:22 am »
I don't think many people have that goal. Most will stop at medium and some will go to hard and that's about that. Expert is good for a challenge but it's really hard! 100% is out of the question. :P

gec05

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 09:36:10 am »
Yeah, I like to enjoy it on medium myself.

But this discussion has actually gave me an interest in getting a real guitar. I liked playing around making my own music with my Mac, but I want to try some hands on and get actual skills at playing an instrument.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 01:43:37 pm »
Please can we keep it on topic people.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 12:24:24 pm »
Please can we keep it on topic people.

OK.

The only thing I can't stand about guitar hero is that there is only guitar songs on their.  Who wants to spend all that money for a few songs, and you can't even make your own(a feature in some free rhythm based game)?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »
Well you can do that now, they got wise. Though it's very hard to make them good from what I hear.

Offline jorum

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2008, 04:57:10 pm »
Brutus  I agree with you on the annoyance for when your looking for tabs ETC. but im gonna have to agree more with Met "Now, I don't play it. But it makes more sense to play this than taking the insane amount of hours needed to learn a "real" instrument.

The game is cheaper, faster to learn, and easy to throw away.

A real Guitar takes commitment.

Some people don't want that. They want to easy way. Fine. But no one is impressed with it other than other Guitar Hero players. And that's the trade-off."

hes exactly right on The game is cheaper and faster to learn and easier to throw away.

Me i learnt both because  I-So-Leet