Author Topic: Expansion Theory-What is Yours?  (Read 9284 times)

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Expansion Theory-What is Yours?
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:08:08 pm »
Mine is the One-Per-Stage theory, which is that one expansion for each stage will make each a full game in it's own right.
I even named my opinions of them each:
Spore:Tiny
Spore:Wildest Dreams
Spore:The Trouble with Tribal
Spore:Marching Forward
Spore:Spaced Out

And your theory on expansions?

Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Enoch

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion Theory-What is Yours?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:23:04 am »
Well, I certainly hope yours is right.

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:14:44 am »
Mabye. Although my prediction is more along the lines of two stages per expansion, except for the Space stage.
Mostly because there's no way you could make a proper expansion for the cell stage on its own.

Oh, and you're also forgetting about new stages on expansions. I expect Maxis to try salvage what progress they made on the Water / City stages.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:17:05 am »
I assume that after Space adventures, Maxis would start work on The Underwater phase.
I also hope that they add the flora editor as a free download, or as part of and expansion.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:42:58 am »
Like i have said before i hope they add more  phases such as Molecule, Water and City.

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:25:37 am »
Quote from: Someone Else
Molecule phase
I sincerely doubt they will. IIRC, it wasn't really anything more than a concept.

I also hope that they add the flora editor as a free download, or as part of and expansion.
I believe they pretty much promised one of those already. Especially since they have a slightly-working base of the editor for it already.

And on that note, I believe they won't include the advanced cell editor in a patch/expansion either. Well, maabye if they have some sort of cell expansion, but otherwise not.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:59:37 am »
For a second I thought this thread was talking about some theory for the expansion of the universe (the RL one).

Anyways, I agree with DarkPlasma, it was little more than a concept and I don't see how they could fit it into the current gameplay.

One expansion idea would possibly be something for gas giants. We know they explored the concept of gas giant creatures as there is a sketch of one in the art of spore book that came with the Galactic Edition. However, I don't know how much further they went with it.

There are several obvious problems with gas giant creatures, for one, there is no land to speak of, unless they can survive the immense pressures down at the metallic hydrogen surface, but I doubt any organic life would survive there, let alone organic molecules. So, really, you wouldn't be able to go any further than tribal unless somebody somehow uplifted you.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:54:58 am »
Will Wright said there will be three kind of expansions. Gameplay ep.s, part packs, and experimental ep.s.

I think there will be a new gameplay ep. in every spring and fall (space first, civ/tribal and cell/creature later), a new parts pack in every winter and summer, and one new standalone game in every year. (like the Sims "stories" games, except that they won't necessarily be about a storyline.)

Maybe there will be a standalone tamagochi game, a standalone SimCity-like city game, and a game with detailed storyline.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Monster

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:10:27 am »
I hope an expansion includes a button to switch from realism to cartoonistic...  ;)

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:40:12 am »
Mabye. Although my prediction is more along the lines of two stages per expansion, except for the Space stage.
Mostly because there's no way you could make a proper expansion for the cell stage on its own.
Spore:Tiny would first make the cell stage interesting enough to play for hours, and then increase its length to hours.
Also, each exp would have some expansion to other stages.  Spore:Tiny adds the Space Stage Shrink Drive, and the Atomic/Molecular stages (which take place on the comet as its travelling through space.), and the Weird Personality.  Spore:Wildest Dreams also adds the Glory Hunter Personality.  Spore:The Trouble with Tribal adds the Geek Personality. Spore:Marching Forward adds Cosmic Horrors to all stages but cell, and the Mideavel Stage. (though my favorite addition is the addition of suicide endings in Civ)
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:06 am »
That the universe is slowly moving farther from the point of the Big Ba..... *looks at OP*

Yea, I hope they add in underwater, as well as expand on the Tribal, Creature, and City Stages.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:25:32 am »
Spore:Tiny would first make the cell stage interesting enough to play for hours, and then increase its length to hours.
Also, each exp would have some expansion to other stages.  Spore:Tiny adds the Space Stage Shrink Drive, and the Atomic/Molecular stages (which take place on the comet as its travelling through space.), and the Weird Personality.  Spore:Wildest Dreams also adds the Glory Hunter Personality.  Spore:The Trouble with Tribal adds the Geek Personality. Spore:Marching Forward adds Cosmic Horrors to all stages but cell, and the Mideavel Stage. (though my favorite addition is the addition of suicide endings in Civ)

Medieval Stage? The Medieval period wasn't a stage, it is a period that lasted several centuries and took place during the Dark Ages right up to the renaissance. Besides, the entire city stage spans several thousand years and you can't really separate it into eras like the Classical Era, the Dark Ages, or whatever because there is no real transition of eras. In one 'era' of the city stage which can last over a thousand years (early on before momentum builds up), the Roman Empire would have risen and fallen twice. You don't see any empires rising and then falling. The two city or more empires don't decline.

Although with at least two people from the Civilization series team, I'm sure they may be able to figure something out.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:48:33 am »
My idea was that it would be there to smooth the transition (in gameplay and technology) between Tribal and Civilization.
And it would actually have a point.  Infantries- simple wooden vehicles- guns- so many things outdated in Civ and not yet made in Tribe.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Here follows the expansion release strategy: Make as much money, by any means necessary.
 ::)
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

gec05

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »
Molecule

Maxis thought it was way too geeky and too small to be significant to put in the game. If cell is short, molecule would be even worse and that can hardly be a stage worth empathizing with.

Water

Ok, the big deal with water stage missing was getting the navigation to be easy to use. You swam through the water like a flight sim, but the controls were too complex for casual players. But I still think they should try and nail it.

City

This is a big maybe. It was cut very early in the game, but most of how civ works now already shares what city would have had. So there is probably little reason to put it as it's own phase and just add whatever was cut into the existing civ phase.