Author Topic: The Grand RP Volume IV - The Lazarus Lounge  (Read 7225 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
The Grand RP Volume IV - The Lazarus Lounge
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:28:31 pm »
The West Wind Hotel opened nearly a century ago to universal acclaim.  Situated near a quaint town in an isolated valley, it was deemed the perfect getaway for the rich, famous, and world weary.  And, for a time, it was.  It's early years were an endless stream of famous faces and deep pockets, but the rich, famous, and world weary are in short supply and most of them decided that the place was a nice place to visit, but that they wouldn't want to stay there.  The stream slowed to a trickle, only hosting a few of it's high class clientele a year and leaving most of it's elegant rooms empty.  After a generation the Hotel, already in the red, was in danger of bankruptcy and closing entirely.

It was at this point that Rustle Westing, estranged son of the Hotel's owner and only heir upon his death, took over the Hotel's management.  Intent upon revitalizing the establishment, he had many of the elegant rooms separated into numerous smaller ones.  In this day and age, he claimed, you could not appeal to the elite alone, you had to attract people from all walks of life.  And miraculously, it worked.  The West Wind is a hot spot again, pulling in people from the world over.  Part of this may be due the reports of hauntings, strange sounds emanating from just outside the rooms on some nights, but most chalk this up to a clever business strategy on Rustle's behalf.

Curtis, the West Wind's manager, whistled as he approached the main doors, key ring in hand.  Some people, once they got to his position, would have taken to sleeping in and letting those lower down the ladder deal with such tasks at five am, but he insisted on being there to open in the morning, close in the evening, and show the guests out at check out time.  He felt that the guests deserved it.  Besides, it was the start of the busy season and someone might come in at any time to get their vacation to the soonest start possible.

"The boss ever do this himself?"  Yawned the new clerk who had taken the front desk that morning.  It seemed to Curtis that there were always new employees.  He couldn't remember anyone besides himself who had stayed on past a season or so.  They claimed it was to get higher positions at lesser hotels elsewhere, but he suspected it was because of the noises at night.  Which was strange, as he'd never noticed them.

Coming out of his reverie, he barked a laugh.  "Old Rus?  Probably not even considering thinking of getting out of bed this time of day."

On that note, the key clicked in the lock and he swung the doors open into the brisk morning air.

Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The Grand RP Volume IV - The Lazarus Lounge
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:20:14 am »
Martin Simms walked through the front doors of the West Wind Hotel with a bit of a flourish. He had the shiniest black shoes anyone had ever seen. His deep blue suit was cleaned and pressed and looked extravagant and he wore a tie that could get every channel. One finger sported a large gold ring and a fancy watch adorned his wrist. A pair of thick rimmed glasses sat on Martin's perfect nose and a mighty pompadour rested atop his head. As he approached the desk he spoke.

"Good morning and salutations!" Martin used his signature opener "This is Martin Simms reporting for his vacation! I believe I've reserved the presidential suite."

While he waited for confirmation, Martin hunted down a bellhop.

"Bellhop!" Martin called "The car's out front. My lady friend is there, see that her things make it to the room before she does."

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:16:23 am »
"Yes, sir, just this way sir!"  Curtis replied happily, leading Marin to the front desk and shooing away the clerk to get to the key himself.  He didn't bother checking for the reservation, when someone asked for the presidential suite you took care to remember their name.  He placed two keys in an ornate envelope and slid them across with an invitation.

"Tonight, if you weren't aware, we are throwing a celebration in honor of opening the new Rustle Westing Lounge.  In the mean time, please feel free to enjoy our facilities, or tour the town if the mood takes you."

As Curtis ingratiated himself with the guest, the bellhop hurried outside with a cart to bring in the luggage.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:40:48 am »
Chris's cigarette flew from his mouth as his old 72' convertible flew around the mountain curves. He knew he was going at least 3 times the legal limit for the road but he didn't care, he had a reservation to catch. Flooring the gas even more as the curves got sharper and sharper, he took out another cigarette from his glove box and skillfully lite it before placing it directly in his mouth. Before long, the road came upon a small valley with a quaint little hotel overlooking the valley floor. He this was the place and that he had arrived. As he neared the hotel and came around to the hotel's entrance, he suddenly slammed on the brakes and stopped the car with a large screech. Immediately jumping out of the car, he managed very clumsily to get his two suitcases out of the back seat and threw his keys to the startled valet. His faded black tuxedo rustled in the cool mountain wind as he pushed open the large wooden door which lead to the lobby. As he neared the front desk he began to speak.

"Hey red man!" shouted Chris at the clerk "My names Chris Preay of Rolling Stone Magazine."

He placed his two bags beside him and leaned on toward the surprised clerk, puffing a long drag of cigarette smoke in his face.

"I'm here to do a report on this..."

He looked around, trying to get a sense of the place.

"Fine establishment... I should be under under the reservation for the Overlook suite or room 767... Which ever they booked me as... Either would be fine with me."
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:58:12 pm »
Mark calmly rode the elevator down the flights, humming the nameless tune. The door opened with a chime, and he stepped around a flushed bellhop, who pushed a trolley loaded with bags into the elevator. Looking around the room, he examined each of the occupants. The boss was talking to some rich upshot, and there was that reporter standing around. He thinks he's seen the upshot on a magizine for some award or other, but he can't be sure.

Walking up to the reporter, he holds out his hand, smilling a winnging smile.

"Hello there, sir. I'm Mark, Head Of Security. I'll be making sure you all make it home in one piece."

He chuckles briefly, having done this introduction a thousand times before, "Do you need help finding your room?"
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 04:09:27 pm »
Caileigh swaggered out of the car and into the lobby, her eyes straying behind their large fashionable sunglasses to peruse the reporter at the reservation desk.
Slinking in behind Martin she put her arms around him from behind and kissed him on the neck.

"Honey, I'm starving... they'd better do organic tofu at this place."
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 04:21:10 pm »
"For the money I shelled out they'll serve us whatever we want." Martin smiled and slipped a room key into her hand "Your key to the kingdom."

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:22:21 pm »
"Oh, cool" said Caileigh, disinterestedly as she took the key and headed for the elevator.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 04:27:24 pm »
"Of course," Curtis answered Martin somewhat less enthusiastically than on the subjects of suites, "only the best!"  The inclusion of tofu and various other additions had been something of a sticking point for Curtis, the last of the staff left from before Rustle had taken over.  He felt that they were crossing a line between staying in business and lowering standards, particularly in converting the old ball room into a "hip" lounge.  But the Hotel was doing better than it ever had.  So, once more, he pushed aside his own feelings.  The Hotel, after all, was the most important thing.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »
Chris turned his head to the security guard and spoke.

"No, no" said Chris to the security guard "I'll find my room.... eventually..."

He looked around some more at the bustle of activity in the lobby. He figured most of the men in it were at the least pretty descent ... except for the guy in the blue suit, he looked like he was just an average rich jerk. He turned his attention back to Mark.

"By the way, do you know where the bar is in this place? I have a craving for a bit of them white-mans burden... if you know what I mean."
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:17 pm »
"I believe it's on the second floor, door 3A. It's fairly hard to miss at night, when the place is full, but I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding it. It's down a short hallway, and it's labeled, 'The Bar'."

He grins, "Should be easy enough to find. You want me to show you the way, exactly?"

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 06:20:01 pm »
"Before you go though," Curtis said as he moved around the front desk to meet Chris, handing him an invitation.  "Your invitation to the opening of the new Lounge.  I assure you, it will be a night to remember!"

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 08:20:45 pm »
Chris looked at the man who had handed him the invitation with suspicion. He remembered the last time he got an "invitation" to a grand opening to something. It's how he had lost his favorite watch and almost lost his right hand. Still, with the prospects of what he expected to be a place filled with discounted booze, he couldn't resist the offer.

"Very well" said Chris "I graciously accept your invitation to your... lounge... thing... But before I go would you kindly tell me where it is so I don't go bumping into anyone's room?"

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 08:56:39 pm »
"It's in the ball room, right Curt? Big room, beautiful design, a bunch of art from around the time this place first opened...Is it a masked ball? I think when the hotel first opened it was a masked ball, way back, but I'm not sure this time. How many guests are coming?"

Mark grimaces inwardly at the prospect of tromping around in some outfit while making sure the guests don't kill themselves while intoxicated, and breaking up any stupid fights. Masked balls always ended badly, as someone had to come as a medieval noble, armed with some stupid dispute about honor up his sleeve...

"Starts at eight 'o clock, though. Plenty of time to get any of your things up to your room."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 10:17:39 pm »
Martin watched Caileigh walk off toward the elevator and then took to the stairs. He walked up one floor and headed toward the bar. The hallway around him was smartly decorated and was very relaxing, still it was off-putting to him for some reason. A small stander up ahead declared the two words Martin had hoped to see: "The Bar". He walked in and looked around, the same smart decor had followed him and he sighed.

Who decorated this place, a Roman Catholic?

Pushing the somewhat abstract thought from his mind, Martin sat at a bar stool and raised a finger into the air.

"Vodka, no ice."