Author Topic: Sales am great, yes?  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Sales am great, yes?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 06:02:06 am »
From the Escapist:

Spore's sales of two million units is "respectable," but nowhere near the massive hit EA was pulling for, and whether it will have the long-term viability of Will Wright's previous franchise, The Sims, is debatable.
I'm willing to guess that's based on the number of registered users rather than the number of units sold.
Which would be a good indication of how many of the main game was sold, but not so much of how many of the main game and the creature creator combined sold.
No, EA said that too in their financial report. The combined sales of the two might be much more than 2 million, but not all games were registered online.

The Escapist statement is also wrong, EA expected 3-5 million sold copies, and this will be easily reached in a year, even if it's long term viability will be similar to other games, not The Sims.

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 02:06:20 am »
Come to think of it, am I the only one that sees 2 million as a ridiculously high number of copies sold for two months? Heck, that's about as many as Crysis sold in it's entire year-long life, and that was considered very popular!

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 04:42:37 am »
The number of sold games wont get much higher. The biggest fans of the game has already bought it.

When considering the game was elected game of the show etc more times since 2005 on GDC it is a very bad sales figure.

Why not compare to Cod4 instead...it sold 7-8 million...in short time.

EA wants spore to be a big series but it has already failed, look at the activity in here. Do you guys honestly beleive they will return/buy the next spore pack...

The talk about spore being the new sims has really been kicked to the ground...and crysis did not sell very good. COD4 killed crysis sales that is the reason it sold so few copies.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 05:27:07 am »
Why not compare to Cod4 instead...
Because that's a multiplatfrom game. Comparing a multiplatform game to a PC game is not what I'd consider a fair comparison.

And on a point of interest, the PC/Mac CoD4 sold a bit less in its first two months than Spore.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 03:41:29 pm »
The number of sold games wont get much higher. The biggest fans of the game has already bought it.
Well good for them!
When considering the game was elected game of the show etc more times since 2005 on GDC it is a very bad sales figure.
Not quite as many times as you seem to think, but anyways the sales figure is by no means bad.
Why not compare to Cod4 instead...it sold 7-8 million...in short time.
Ah yes Cod4, a wonderfully fun game that sold a large amount of copies, also happens to be multiplatform and the 4th part of a very long (and well known) series of games.
EA wants spore to be a big series but it has already failed, look at the activity in here. Do you guys honestly beleive they will return/buy the next spore pack...
What? Failed? I hardly think the game has "failed". And IMO I think they will, remember that this spore forum (and many others like it) don't exactly make up the several million people that actually play the game, there are plenty of people who play the game, enjoy it, but never go onto any of the specialized forums.
The talk about spore being the new sims has really been kicked to the ground...and crysis did not sell very good. COD4 killed crysis sales that is the reason it sold so few copies.
Agreeable, Spore's sales were indeed fairly low compared to what EA had probably wanted, and to make up for the absolutely massive development costs they seem to be releasing a series of rather trivial add ons, the most well known of which is the priced version of the comic editor. You are right in that the game failed to reach the sales that were probably expected by EA but the game is no failure.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 03:59:07 pm »
I still say Spore turned out as what it was supposed to be. Yeah it could use a lot more fleshing out, more padding with things to discover and such, but thats all an aside. Spore only appears to be doing a lot worse than it is, because of the over-abudance of loud complaints about relatively small issues. I tend not to post nearly as much now because I do have a few critical points to make here and there, but with the sheer volume of conspiracy-theoryesque bile that gets slung around, I cant bring myself to make them. I'll probably be buying Cute & Creepy, and I hope they speed up the rate they release patches and stuff, but its not likely given they've probably realised this wont be as much a success that the Sims was.

It might look like they're really trying to strain cash out of this, but EA's a business, its what they do. I even recall they did the same things with the Sims, too. They released the sims Bodyshop as a purchasable CD, didnt they? They seem to be spreading out rather than building up, right now. Yeah, it frustrates me that the PC version isnt getting as much attention as it could, being the main release, but I know even if our blithering, high-maintenance masses came together to make a loud, civil request directly to EA, nothing would change. Its a matter of just dealing with it.

In the meantime, I shall return to being pretty quiet. Spore is a game that you can always pick up again after a while, and I think I personally overplayed it. So i'm going to chill some more before I go back to it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to make a tinfoil hat, so EA cant mindread how much cash I have. :3

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 12:56:13 am »
It might look like they're really trying to strain cash out of this, but EA's a business, its what they do. I even recall they did the same things with the Sims, too.
Ah yes, the mixed blessing of milking: it may seem shady and wrong, but the truth of the matter is that there's no way you'd have a game even half as big as Spore if they didn't keep releasing packs like this.
People generally prefer to ignore that last part though.

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 03:47:14 am »
i think this game will continue to sell at a reasonable rate for the next few years as expansions come out that make it better, and some of those things slowly get budled together for a reduced price.

kinda like with the original sims. at first, the sims didn't sell a whole lot at first because it wasn't a good game with much content (i'm talking about the base game, without all of the expansions), but expansions came out for it that made it better, and more people wanted it.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:07 am »
They released the sims Bodyshop as a purchasable CD, didnt they?

No, they didn't. There was a free download before the game, and a complete one with the game. There may have been the option to get bodyshop on CD if your internet connection was the suxxor, but if anything, you were just paying for the shipping and handling... Therefore, the software itself was still technically free, even in that situation.