Author Topic: Sales am great, yes?  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Sales am great, yes?
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:46:54 pm »

The yellow sticker means it gets a 40% discount.

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

gec05

Re: Sales am great, yes?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:49:13 pm »
That's a surplus store.

Spore still costs $50 dollars everywhere else.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:15 pm »
The point is, why would the shelves of a surplus store be covered in copies of an item that was flying off the shelves. I see no Wiis there, despite what Old Man Hecker says. Heck, I don't even see any PS3s there!

(NOTE: I took the picture myself, when I went there last weekend, on my cellphone.)
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:37:54 am »
isn't that second hand ? :P

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:44:34 am »
isn't that second hand ? :P

Surplus means they have too many copies in store, as it clearly says SURPLUS in the cover I'm guessing it's not second hand, they just wanna get rid of the copies.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »
I've seen the number of copies pile up at several electronics stores near my area, sometimes covering entire shelves. It seems EA overestimated the number of people who were willing to buy the game.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:14:12 pm »
The point is, why would the shelves of a surplus store be covered in copies of an item that was flying off the shelves. I see no Wiis there, despite what Old Man Hecker says. Heck, I don't even see any PS3s there!

(NOTE: I took the picture myself, when I went there last weekend, on my cellphone.)

Ummm... because? There doesn't actually need to be a reason for this sort of thing you know. It could simply be that Spore is selling well, but these guys are selling it to get people to come to their store to see what else they have, they'd be unlikely do that with Wiis and PS3s because it would be lot harder to sell enough stuff to make a profit with that business venture. Not that I'm saying that's what they are doing, but it is one of many possibilities.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:09:17 pm »
... Old Man Hecker says...

That's an awesome nickname.  ;D

Maybe they have so many surplus copies because everyone's pirating spore rather than buying it?
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:57:57 pm »
Spore sales are doing fine but so many stores overestimate the demand for games in general.  The universally loved Halo 3 didn't do so well where I work.  We had at least a dozen copies of the game that had to be sent back from the original shipment.  A lot of other popular games sell low quantities too.  We get questions about Wiis and Wii-Fits but only Guitar Hero really seems to sell.  Even the girl games that thrive on the DS are slow to sell until now thanks to Christmahannukwanzakah.  While my store has a very good game selection, we are not the #1 choice for most gamers.  We don't even sell PC games in-store so no Spore sales.  I don't think anyone has touched Spore Creatures yet--and I don't blame 'em!
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »
Actually, has anyone got the sales for Spore yet?  Know where to find them?  I've been wondering how it is selling....
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 01:56:53 am »
It's always worth remembering that the number of copies left to sell is not a good indication of the number of copies actually sold.

Actually, has anyone got the sales for Spore yet?  Know where to find them?  I've been wondering how it is selling....
Nope. Sales figures haven't been released yet. But it has only been two months anyway.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:42:18 am »
From the Escapist:

Spore's sales of two million units is "respectable," but nowhere near the massive hit EA was pulling for, and whether it will have the long-term viability of Will Wright's previous franchise, The Sims, is debatable.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 02:51:54 am »
if you don´t hit big with the first release then chances are VERY slim that you will get bigger sales later on.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 03:52:00 am »
spore will do fine once the expansions start churning out.
Never mind your own business.

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 04:18:45 am »
From the Escapist:

Spore's sales of two million units is "respectable," but nowhere near the massive hit EA was pulling for, and whether it will have the long-term viability of Will Wright's previous franchise, The Sims, is debatable.
I'm willing to guess that's based on the number of registered users rather than the number of units sold.
Which would be a good indication of how many of the main game was sold, but not so much of how many of the main game and the creature creator combined sold.

spore will do fine once the expansions start churning out.
That's true. For example, for every main Sims or Sims2 game sold, an average of two expansion packs were sold too (not counting packs bundled with the game as expansion packs sold).