Author Topic: New Battle System  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
New Battle System
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
Battle System

As some of you may know, Plank of Wood tried to make a battlesystem that would be used sparingly within the gaming forums. This really inspired be and although it has been a while i figured i would post my system and see if anyone would be willing to test drive it. There are several things that it lacks such as a 3D map, but that would be quite difficult. So here's what i've come up with so far:

Ships
- Destroyers
- Cruisers
- Battleships
- Carriers
-Fighters
-Bombers

Stats
- Attack (Firepower)
- Hitpoints (Armor)
- Movement (Maneuverability)
- Range (Ranger of weapons, that is)
- Special Abilities

These are very basic, and if this all works out and if there is enough interest it can be changed and added on to so that it better fits the needs of whatever it will be doing.

And here are the standard ship setups that i think would be most realistic. If this does work these stats could be personalized for each race etc.

Standard Ships
Destroyer (DD)
Attack: 4/10
Hitpoints: 15/50
Movement: 4
Range: 2
Special Abilities: Has a high interception rate of the strike craft squadrons (fighters and bombers).

Cruiser (CA)
Attack: 6/10
Hitpoints: 25/50
Movement: 3
Range: 3
Special Abilities:

Battleship (BB)
Attack: 10/10
Hitpoints: 40/50
Movement: 2
Range: 4
Special Abilities:

Carrier (CV)
Attack: 0/10
Hitpoints: 35/50
Movement: 2
Range: 3
Special Abilities: Can carry strike craft squadrons.

Fighter Squadron (FS)
Attack: 2/5
Hitpoints: 3/10
Movement: 8
Range: Home Carrier x2 (Standard: 6)
Special Abilities: Effective at defending against bomber squadrons.

Bomber Squadron (BS)
Attack: 3/5
Hitpoints: 5/10
Movement: 6
Range: Home Carrier x2 (Standard: 6)
Special Abilities: Effective at attacking slower moving targets (movement of 3 or less)

Playing Field
The playing field of this system is a simple grid of squares. Ships are able to move vertically, horizontally and diagonally. Range of a ship is determined by taking the actual range and extending that as far as possible up, down, left and right. Lines are then between these occupied squares. Those squares cut in half do not count as being within range.
ex. Destroyer has a range of 2. The destroyer can hit anything in the surrounding 8 squares along with those squares that are directly 2 spaces away (for a total of 12 squares to hit).

Orders
There are three different kinds of orders that can be given to each of the ships:
1) Attack
The ship is ordered to attack another ship. If the ship is not within range the orders are false and cannot be carried out.
ex. Destroyer #2 attack Cruiser #5
2) Move
The ship is ordered to move from one square to another. Two friendly ships cannot occupy the same square.*
ex. Destroyer #2 move left 3 and diagonally 1
3) Hold
No orders are given and the ship neither moves nor attacks.

*If two ships of opposite sides enter the same square whether on purpose or by accident these ships enter a deadlock. These ships cannot carry out move orders and essentially must fight it out until the end. Any fire directed at this square has a 50% chance of hitting the intended target.

Order of Play
1) Attack Phase
All ships that are ordered to attack do so and score hits on enemy ships. If there are no attack orders given then this phase is skipped.
2) Movement Phase
All ships that are moved according to their orders. If there are no move orders given then this phase is skipped.
3) Damage and Removal
Damage for each of the hit ships are calculated. Earlier damage is added to the damage done this round. If the damage exceeds the hitpoints of the ship then that ship is considered destroyed and removed from play.

Once these phases are completed the phases are repeated until a winner is declared.

So post what you think about it, suggest anything that comes to mind, or criticize it. If anyone is willing to test drive it go ahead and post. I think it would be interesting to try this out and see if it actually works.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:36:26 pm by Josasa »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: New Battle System
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:27:16 pm »
     Some ships might take on two or more roles, like some space-bound races' mobile military colony ships, which might act both as carriers and as battleships. Though, I'm sure they could just add that to the special abilities list. :)

Other than that, this is actually pretty good. 8)

How would the battlefield itself work? I'm thinking maybe we could divide stuff into different zones, like "planet 1", "planet 2", "planet 3", "inner star system", "outer star system" and "star system orbit."

For example:

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:13:58 pm »
I must say, I disagree with the idea.  For starters, not all races will have that exact setup for their navy, nor will ships of those types nessasarily have the numbers you're proposing.  Besides, simple RP combat has worked perfectly so far.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:28:15 am »
even under that system, each individual ship would have its own stats, and not the ones suggested;
such as;

The Iron Impirius
attack: 4/10
defence: 8/10
movement: 4
range: 4
special: refelects light away from ship; stealth.
orbital bombardment

( I took the liberety of doubling the max for this example, cause thats too low)

this would need to be better thought out.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:09:33 pm »
@ Yuu:

I was thinking more of a simple grid system for closer quarters, although a layout like yours would be useful for larger battles and the general position of several different fleets.

@ MartyK:

For now this is totally separate from the current RPs, both old and new galaxies. This is something i've wanted to try for some time and thought this would be the best place for it.

@ Crazen:

I was almost thinking of having higher numbers, but was thinking it might have made it more complicated. But it seems that out of 10 would be best.

Also, i think that hitpoints are something that's big while firepower would be the thing doing the damage and armor could a factor that weakens the attack. That way ships aren't instantly destroyed with a single hit from one of the larger ships.

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:04 pm »
Heres my example

Battleship Crocs
Attack: 9
Defense: 6
Movement: 4
Range: 8
Special Abilities: Its got really good attack and defense

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 04:11:37 pm »
Its got really good attack and defense

Special, as in, something that's not genericly generic

Suggestion:

Boarder Ships

- Attack - 6
- Defense - 1
- Movement - 2
- Range - 1 (or less than)
- Special Abilities - It cannot desetroy fighter or bomber squadrons, however if it attacks any other type of spacecraft, instead of destroying it, it takes control, however this "sacrifices" the boarder ships.

The idea for this is that in the early days of naval warfare, the only way to combat at sea was to grapple on and fight as if you were on land. Now, in Space warfare, we could assume that if a race had poor ranged weapons, they could send boarder craft, they'd be basicly either cannon fodder, or a distraction. However, the thread of one comming close enough to take over your Main Battle Cruiser is enough to make it pull back for mose smart commanders.

the real saviour of this forum

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:16:37 pm »
Plank its just a example i just thought in my head :p. But it just increases it and it really dont matter because its a example

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:51:45 pm »
Strafer
Attack: 5
Defense: 2
Movement: 5
Range: 2
Special Abilities: Extremely high interception rate of the strike craft squadrons (fighters and bombers).
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:22:38 pm »
I'm liking these suggestions, but at this point i'd like to keep it nice and basic with the mentioned ships. Also, there will probably be some limit as to how you can extend and upgrade your ship's abilities. Because lets face it, how reasonable is it to have a ship that has 10 attack and 10 defense and can move 20 spaces around the board...

Updated the first page. I switched up the 'defense' to 'hit points' and actually made it out of 50 rather than only 10. This will most likely change as time goes on (if this system works, that is). I'm not sure exactly what i was thinking at first with having such small defense numbers to the point where ships could destroy each other with one shot...

Also, is anyone willing to try out a test run with this system. I'm thinking it would be only a small number of ships (equal number for both sides) and they would basically fight each other in a small scale battle. Either post here or PM if you are interested.

EDIT: Added sections about the possible orders as well as an overview of the playing field.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:36:55 pm by Josasa »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:52:14 am »
     Maybe you can try this out by making some LU ships fight a fleet of pirates. Maybe make it a portrayal of everyday life in the local anti-piracy force of the LU's military.

I'd love to try this out but I really don't have the time as of now since sembreak is already over. :(

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 01:48:14 pm »
I just wanted to bring this back to see if anyone wanted to try this out. I would need two people and i would be the general referee.

This battle system is totally separate from the RPing, think of it more like a mini boardgame or something like that. Anyone that would like to try it out just post here.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 02:27:34 pm »
If you're good with programming, you could program a simple game to use those statistics.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:32:59 pm »
hmmm, this could be cool! ....Does anyone know flash?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 06:34:14 pm »
Flash wouldn't cut it. Actual Java might though.