Author Topic: Back in WoW  (Read 30504 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Back in WoW
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »
I'm level 52. Climbing about two levels a day.

But yeah, I don't like ganking people because I don't like getting ganked.
Simple as that. I find fun elsewhere, treasure hunting and stuff.
Problem is that it's pretty rare to find an opponent who is around the same level. They're either way under me or way over.
One day I'll be level 80 though.
Then I can go help lowbies like I've wanted to do since I started.

Don't really like the game that much but whatever. I think I'm being completely fair when I say this is the best quality MMO you can get today.
I await something unique. So far everything else that has come along has been lame.
Like usual, it's the waiting game.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 06:35:58 pm »
So... anyone on the same server?

Metaya
lvl 70 Draenei Priest
Gorgonnash Alliance (PvP)

Metnik
lvl 70 Human Warlock
Windrunner Alliance (PvE)
*If I get back into WoW, he'll be switched over to Gorgonnash.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 07:10:24 pm »
Destromath here.

Gauph, just hold in there until northrend (Or even just Outland, the quality of the zones and quests goes up dramatically between the expansions.

Offline Neoteric

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 07:23:16 pm »
I doubt I'm on the same as anyone else here.

Maor
Level 65 Human Priest
Darkmoon Faire EU (RP)

From what I've seen of Outland so far, I agree with MetallicDragon. I've only done Hellfire Peninsula, Zangarmarsh and the start of Terrokar so far, but they've been pretty good. Ignoring the Hellboars and the crappy looking gear, anyway. I can't wait to go to Northrend, from what I've heard it sounds great. It's a pity I'm not getting Wrath until Christmas, I'm having to slow down my levelling to make it so that I hit level 70 around then.

Offline deadplayer

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 07:30:49 pm »
I was back after AFK half year.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 08:07:23 am »
I find that it's hard to stay away for too long. And not because it's online crack or have a lot of gold (I don't necessarily). It's just polished on all fronts. It's like I go away to play another game, then realize WoW has that nice, comfortable gameplay I'm already used to. I got into WAR quite a bit and had a lot of fun, but even then the graphics just didn't do it for me like WoW.

Optimum
Level 75 Death Knight
Perenolde (PvE)

I was a 66 Hunter (Tauren), but then rerolled a DK at level 55 and haven't looked back since. It's been easy leveling the entire way. Outland was good, but Northrend seems better and a bit more diverse, both in quests & locale. The gear upgrades, for those that didn't raid (me), in Outland was better than those in Northrend, but it's still been too fun.

I'm sure I'll quit in a month or two (again), then resume at some later date. It doesn't help that WoW seems to retain your characters no matter what. I swore the last time I quit, I deleted my main character just to force me to quit. Then, lo and behold, when I started back up again for the Lich King expansion, he was back again.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2008, 11:08:47 am »
I hate to bring up my anti wow comments again..but i have a perfect example.

I just found out that Tabula rasa is being shut down February 28th. THAT'S barely a year since it came out.
Most people who played Tabula rasa like it, It was unique and was nice blend of MMO and FPS. The only complaint that really surfaced was lack of PVP and end game.

You see the game was made for PVE not the other 2. They implemented clan on clan pvp but really pvp never made sense. You were the AFS fighting the bane alien forces. Why the hell would you be fighting each other?.

They also never had end game like raids. Instead they would add new instances and missions.

This game is dying due to lack of sales and low population. It had nothing to do with not being good like MD was saying earlier. It was a great game and that the fans loved. I have two copy's that come February are going to serve no purpose other then a coaster.

This one affects me more then the rest. Tabula rasa was one my favorite MMOS. The only reason i don't favor it more then ever quest is because i need more RAM to run it, So i could only run it on low.

While Wow survives no others shall live.

Hey Gauph...how do you help newbies?. No i'm not being insulting i geneunly want to know?. Becuase in WoW help usually does not mean help.

In wow It means hey newbie want me to help you skip half the game by power leveling you?.

Just so you guys know the nuber one reason i hated WoW was not the game play. It was the community. It was nigh impossible to find a group to do an instance that didn't want to be ran through by a high level. Or a guild that didn't power level lowbies or or run them through.

I swear to god if those people didn't exist i could come back to WoW and actually enjoy it. Because then the instances would require tactics and strategy. It wouldn't change the fact that normal mobs are piss easy but WoW instances were always fantastic only ruined by impatient players.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:06 am »
At this point in WoW, everybody just wants to get to the endgame, because frankly after running through the leveling process 3 or more times you just want to get it over as quickly as possible. Yeah, it kind of sucks for new players. There's no real way to powerlevel, though. If you get someone of a high level to run you through an instance over and over, you might level a bit faster than if you just went through all the quests, but not much faster. There are also other ways to powerlevel but they require as much as a full, organized group and nobody does that.

As for Tabula Rasa, I say it DID suck compared to WoW. It got a 78 on metacritic compared to WoW's 93. When WoW was first released, the only problems it had was a lack of incentive for PvP, and a lackluster end-game, along with a lot of server problems. From looking at the reviews for Tabula Rasa, it was a fun game (Indeed, from what I played in the beta it was a lot of fun), but it just had too many problems to have lasting appeal. I am saddened by the death of what could've been a great competitor to WoW, but don't blame it on WoW; blame it on not having a high enough quality to compete.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 11:45:50 am »
At this point in WoW, everybody just wants to get to the endgame, because frankly after running through the leveling process 3 or more times you just want to get it over as quickly as possible. Yeah, it kind of sucks for new players. There's no real way to powerlevel, though. If you get someone of a high level to run you through an instance over and over, you might level a bit faster than if you just went through all the quests, but not much faster. There are also other ways to powerlevel but they require as much as a full, organized group and nobody does that.

Well its not as much power leveling as it is they want a higher level beat the tough instances and such for them. So they do all their quests that much faster.

Its been a long time since i played WoW. But i remember a fairly early instance that involved a black Minotaur. It took me forever to assemble a level appropriate team and once i did the instance was a blast. But that black minotaur killed us. I was pumped and ready to go again, I wanted us to repair our stuff and get supplies and go again.

They all wanted to get a high level friend to beat it for us. I refused they left and did it themselves with the high level friend.

As for Tabula Rasa, I say it DID suck compared to WoW. It got a 78 on metacritic compared to WoW's 93. When WoW was first released, the only problems it had was a lack of incentive for PvP, and a lackluster end-game, along with a lot of server problems. From looking at the reviews for Tabula Rasa, it was a fun game (Indeed, from what I played in the beta it was a lot of fun), but it just had too many problems to have lasting appeal. I am saddened by the death of what could've been a great competitor to WoW, but don't blame it on WoW; blame it on not having a high enough quality to compete.

This is what i  do not understand about you guys. What the hell about WoW is higher quality then Tabula Rasa?.

Yes WoW has PVP and End game but that stuff is not suited to Tabula Rasa, If Tablua Rasa is forced to have that stuff to survive then it proves the point i made earlier in the topic. Server problems i don't know about.

I'm not attempting to say Tabula rasa is the overall better game. They are different genres of MMOS. But i don't see anything in Wow that is higher quality.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »
The thing you don't seem to get is that it's not just the feature list that makes the game, but the quality of those features. Like I said, WoW had virtually no PvP and a ****ty end-game when it first came out. But everything up until then was great. Every MMO (pretty much) since WoW's release, and before, had nowhere near the quality, polish, and good design that WoW has. Like I said, look at the reviews it got. A new MMO could still have an end game, PvP, and everything else that WoW has, but if it's done poorly it will still be a ****ty game.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:50 pm »
I have a solution.

Enough.

Gorman, I can't change your opinion because in your mind, I'm wrong and that's all there is to it.

You can't change my opinion because in my mind, you're wrong and that's all there is to it.

You're not going to convert me to your crusade. The problem is, you're not going to change us and you've been refusing to stop trying.

Seriously, you said what you needed to said. If I want to read it again, I'll go back a few pages.

(Next time I'll just quote this post)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »
if I had the power, i would give you a winnar sign :P
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2008, 02:29:11 pm »
@Gorman
I'd help new players through some tough quests or hand them some gear.
It'd be easy for me to wipe out mobs their level and get some loot.

Makes them happy, makes me happy. Sorta. Gives me something to do that's for sure.
Trust me, man. I'm perfectly aware of what I'm doing. I'm paying Blizzard money to run on their treadmill.
If there was a better option out there, I'd take it. As it is now, I'm really bored. I can do nothing but wait for the next release of Dwarf Fortress, a game-saving expansion pack for Spore, my dream game, or really anything else.

This is the only reason I came back to World of Warcraft: because it was there.
I get a bit of satisfaction out of exploring and hunting for better gear, but that's about it. I'm a toon full of a bunch of numbers who uses a bunch of randomized numbers to defeat other toons so I can increase my numbers and defeat more toons.
Do I really care though?
Not really.

Gotta get some sense of purpose from somewhere. If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be at work.
But I'm on vacation.
So for this moment, I make my purpose to power up so I can go back and make it a bit easier for new guys.
It's kinda lame and I only get a little bit of enjoyment out of it but this is what drives me at the moment.
In World of Warcraft that is. I'm doing a whole bunch of other stuff too. But that's really what this one is all about.
An now you know a bit more about me.  8)
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2008, 03:12:02 pm »
I was late to the WoW party the reason i didn't go all the way to the end was I got bored of being the only person who was really doing anything in game for the 1st time. It get old real fast leveling so you can get to a raid via a bear kidney hunt. Anyone else was leveling alts contested areas sucked I once got In a scrap with someone roughly my level i was a tad higher. I see the guy again this time he has a friend I was happy to go about my bussiness they attack I manage to just win. Then of course he decides to log on as his level 70 alt to start corpse camping me.

I enjoyed the fight when it was evenly matched after we fought I was happy to let bygones be bygones and both farm are respect sides quests but he had to get revenge times 10.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2008, 05:41:04 pm »
You know what bugs the hell out of me?

People say WoW is not 'unique' and that its 'bland'.

Um, hell, i followed WoW since freaking Beta and played in the stress test and got to level 68 and quit. I have played City of Heroes, EQ, and FFXI as well. All of them are different. I have no idea how you guys can stand there and criticize WoW for not being unique when it CREATED half the stuff/idea that most MMO's use today.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.