Author Topic: Back in WoW  (Read 23018 times)

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Re: Back in WoW
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:27:17 am »
 I actually was a high level hunter and played around 100 characters to cap in the day but I quite due to getting a girlfriend. Amazing how much time they take... They make a raid look like a walk in the park :D Although the stat boosts are unimaginable ;D

That being said I literally had to give away all of my epic gear, give my gold away and make it utterly impossible to play my character to quite totally. Years away from WoW and I still have the urge... ;)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
There's no way you played 100 characters to the cap, unless you immediately stopped playing once you got to the cap and made a new character, played all day every day for a year and a half, and started deleting characters once you made your 50th one...

Unless that's a typo and you meant 10 characters...

And you can't really "give away" epic gear, just vendor it...

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:23 pm »
Woohoo... the expansion is out and there is now a 2 hour wait to get on the server at night. I figure it is a good time to use my free 21-say Eve Online trial now.

I have been able to play some though:

Many of the models have been updated (night elves have more realistic gaces for example
Death Kinight (you need a level 55+ character first to even make one and then you are restricted to one per server) are hero class toons... and pretty much ALL you seem to see around right now.
There are 'acheivements' which range from the simple (get a pet) to the nearly impossible (kill the racial king in the enemy city).
There is a new continent
The AI for the new mobs is more detailed.
All classes have been restructured (Paladins got the biggest buff, which they needed overall, now they are a force to be feared)
etc...

I'll just be happy once the population thins out some. Blizzard has a population problem that they cannot seem to fix. They do offer 'free transfers' to other servers, but it is a mixed bag. You don't get to take your guild with you (which can mean a significant lost of money and materials) and even if you do request a move, there is no garuntee that you'll go. (I tried to move a block of three toons to the new server, two were moved, the thrid denied (server cap reached).

Of humorous note: One of the servers they offered a free move to was a Latin American server, half the players speak spanish and the system messages are also in spanish (english speaking players that moved are pi-issed).

Eve seem ok so far. Steep learning curve.

-Lego

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 01:22:46 pm »
There are 'acheivements' which range from the simple (get a pet) to the nearly impossible (kill the racial king in the enemy city).

Warhammer Online rip-off! HA! Now WE get to say it.
@davidramnero

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »
Not really Huck. I'm pretty sure achievements have actually been around since the early days of Xbox live :P

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:40 pm »
Uhm.. well but uuh.. Not in fantasy MMOs! But it doesn't matter, the whole warcraft concept is ripped of warhammer lore and art and the whole starcraft concept is ripped of WH40k.
@davidramnero

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 01:37:56 pm »
whatever, who won out in the end? Yeah, that's right, get back in your WH corner and let Blizzard dominate.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 02:36:50 pm »
I have to say that blizzard has really outdone themselves this expansion, so far. Leveling has been loads of fun, I'm level 78 and hope to reach 80 by the end of the week. All the quests are simply amazing, and the different zones are quite beautiful. The lower level instances (around 71-73) were kind of meh, but I just did the oculus last night and it was incredibly awesome. Imagine your entire group riding dragons and fighting their way up a giant, floating fragmented tower. 'Twas incredible. The new main city, Dalaran, is similarly amazing. Floating city for the win?

Also, there's a big, incredibly epic and fun quest chain that even has a cinematic, but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 04:22:57 pm »
I'm... uh, I don't know how to say this.
I'm on Spirestone, level 16 or something Dwarf Warrior named Urist. Miner/Enchanter, which will change after I feel I've exploited the market enough.

So yeah, back in WoW.

:-X
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 04:37:27 pm »
*blatant praise*

couldn't agree more, this time, quests are actually fun.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 05:02:55 pm »
*very deep sigh*

I hate you all for making me repeatedly come back to this thread and making me reminisce of the good ol days...and how fun wotlk sounds, maybe just MAYBE I'll rejoin. If I can get a pretty good idea of how long dungeons will take to do.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 05:17:55 pm »
i'm having a good time with it.

i'm sure you would too.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 05:47:37 pm »
I know I would but I don't want to play if all the dungeons take 2 and up hours to do since I don't have that kind of time

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 05:52:11 pm »
*very deep sigh*

I hate you all for making me repeatedly come back to this thread and making me reminisce of the good ol days...and how fun wotlk sounds, maybe just MAYBE I'll rejoin. If I can get a pretty good idea of how long dungeons will take to do.

From what I've seen, dungeons are pretty short, quick and easy (less than an hour). I haven't done any heroic dungeons, but I've ran a few regular ones, including ones I was too low level for anyway, and it was still ridiculously easy. It remains unseen how long raids will take, but they are likely no more than 4 hours if you wipe a lot on the longest dungeon (Which is unlikely because current end-game is very easy from what I've heard.)

And if anyone wants to start playing anew, I'm Gif on Destromath.

Edit: I'm not too sure, but the longest non-raid a dungeon will take is at the very most two hours, if you wipe every other pull. Although, I haven't done every single dungeon. You might want to get a second opinion on this.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:55:51 pm by MetallicDragon »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 01:00:51 pm »
Since people seem to be following my anti WoW comments i wanted to come make a post here.

The reason i want WoW shut down is not because i hate it or i don't want any of you to be able to enjoy it. I'm happy you guys can enjoy it, But to me WoW lacks any kind of depth or tactics in my eyes its complete garbage, But that does not mean i believe everyone should share my view.

The reason i want it gone is because of how it affects other MMOS. If an MMO does not die from low sales it dies other ways, Here's an example. I just got a new Game Informer, apparently Warhammer is having trouble while WoW broke its sales record.

The problem with Warhammer is ..its not exactly like WoW. Leveling is slow..it takes too long and that's the way its meant to be...but people are leaving because of it. Mythic has been patching it to make it faster THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. Warhammer is not about leveling as fast as possible like WoW. But its forced to be that way just to survive.

Before WoW we had great MMOs like Everquest, Where leveling was slow and everybody loved it, It was the journey to the end that mattered not getting to the end game as fast as possible, And screw replayablity with wow its just have a higher level run your alts through to top level as fast as possible.

I'm looking forward to DarkFall but i feel its going to fall because its not like WoW.

My problem with WoW is not that WoW is WoW. Its that until WoW is gone every other MMO is going to ether be WoW or be forced to be like WoW to survive let alone thrive. its not that i don't think there shouldn't be any other MMOs that play like WoW, Its that all of them DO or will HAVE TO.

Until WoW dies me and thousands of other players will never see an MMO we can enjoy.

WoW has to much influence right now.