Poll

Did you get what you expected from Spore?

It is better than I ever hoped
It is as great as I hoped
I'm disappointed about the game
I didn't wait for Spore, but I like it
I didn't wait for Spore, and I don't like it

Author Topic: Hype and punishment  (Read 13242 times)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
Re: Hype and punishment
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 12:54:59 pm »
No option for "It's about as good as i expected"?

Oh, sorry, i misread you second option.  Complaint withdrawn.

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 01:25:57 pm »
I voted It is better than I ever hoped because well it better then i thaught it was while i waited and WAITED for months

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 01:30:01 pm »
well, i wasn't really expecting much, and i wasn't really thinking about the game before it came out in a science sense as much. i was more just thinking about the stuff i'l be able to create more than what i would be able to do with that stuff, so i was satisfied with what i got.

i voted it was what i was expecting.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 01:40:51 pm »
I was missing an "I was a little disappointed" option is I still very much enjoy the game although O had slightly higher expectations from it.

Offline legojedij

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
    • ZTV
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 02:03:18 pm »
im in the invisible "i dont have the game yet " option

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 02:13:36 pm »
I voted "I was disappointed with spore" since it did fail to deliver alto of what was promised and I feel that many of the games elements that did make it in the final version were somewhat watered down, by no means am I saying I dislike the game (quite the contrary, I play it all the time) but hopefully more content will be added.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline BigBadWolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 02:53:40 pm »
I was missing an "I was a little disappointed" option is I still very much enjoy the game although O had slightly higher expectations from it.
I'm with BioCat. Not the masterpiece i was expecting but still a nice game.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:34 pm »
Same here.

There were things I expected that weren't there and some things that I didn't expect that were there.

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:01 pm »
I personally think it is what I expected. A fun game on its own, but it has some short-comings that will be corrected in  expansions. Essentially it is the same business model as The Sims.

So basically I fall in the category of 'Slightly Dissappointed, but cheerfully awaiting the future'

Offline MisterBibs

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 01:15:33 am »
My history:

The GDC videos were my first introduction to Spore. Where it seems a lot of people here saw those videos and thought that was what Spore would be, I saw the same thing and realized that the game wasn't going to be a lot like that. Will Wright's Maxis wouldn't make such a visually sparce, bloody game. So for a long time, Spore would be one of those things that I'd watch the GDC video on Youtube occasionally if I was bored, but thaty's basically it.

What brought me back was Penny Arcade mentioning the SCC in the title of one of their news posts. The title showed up on my RSS feed, so I learned a bit about it. For me, the shock of the SCC not being what I saw at GDC was much reduced.

I wouldn't watch many videos of Spore before about two weeks before the game came out.

Based on what I expected, I'm very happy with the game. Like I said, I attribute that to my relative lack of focus on the game for long spans of time, and the understanding of what kind of game Maxis would make.

I'm still playing Spore, but the achievement-losing bug has kinda killed a lot of my desire to play, honestly. I wasn't playing to grind out achievements, but it has lost some of my motivation.

That's not to say, though, that I'm beginning to burn out. In fact, I don't fault Maxis for me burning out. I always burn out of games eventually. Hell, Fallout 3 comes out tomorrow, and I suppose I'll be playing that almost exclusively.

But I'll be playing Spore for at last one week, no doubt. Because I know how long it takes me to burn out on a game, and in a week, Spore will have had me hooked for a month straight as my Main Game. Which has never happened before, and kudos for making a game that could do it.

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:49 pm »
I voted "disappointed" but I still like the game and mess with it quite a bit.  For the many, many, MANY things they got wrong with the game, they did a lot right.  And I love seeing what other people do with it and trying to do better myself as far as making things goes.  The Spore experience is all about community and I don't think Maxis could mess that up if they tried.
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 04:45:02 pm »
Wow! Around half of the people that voted are disappointed.  :o

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 05:06:52 pm »
Well we were all expecting the 05 Spore. The Spore we have now is a little childish.

gec05

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »
Leave from here Hydro. You are too pure and uncorrupted to feel that way about Spore. Run, run as fast as you can and do not look back.

I'm a little disappointed myself. Not a lot but I still reminisce about the 05 Spore.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 06:52:23 am »
Leave from here Hydro. You are too pure and uncorrupted to feel that way about Spore. Run, run as fast as you can and do not look back.

I'm a little disappointed myself. Not a lot but I still reminisce about the 05 Spore.

I think this is the nicest thing you have said to me Gec. That means a lot. :D