Author Topic: Securom Blues - Sims 2  (Read 6207 times)

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
Securom Blues - Sims 2
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:05:41 pm »
My wife installed the Sims 2 apartment life patch that just came out yesterday.  Now when she tries to play the game she gets a "Conflict with Emulation Software detected" which is complete BS as she's played the Sims 2 for years with no problems.  We're both advanced users and tried a few things... the standard uninstall reinstall... eliminate most things from msconfig etc..  I've sent off a tech support to EA including the /secuexp analysis file their online support suggests we send along.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

What are other people's experiences?

My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Securom Blues - Sims 2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:46:15 pm »
Do you have any programs like DAEMON Tools running? They set off copy protection systems all the time.

Most of my gripes come from Star Force. SecuRom and most of the DRM software don't cause me any trouble.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:44:07 pm »
We don't have any of that sort of stuff.  The only thing on there is Nero cd burning software... which hasn't caused a problem since it was installed 5 years ago and the 2 years she's had the Sims.  We uninstalled it anyways.  The only thing that has changed is installing the new patch.

I think we're going to try uninstalling apartment life and reinstalling it sans patch.
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:46:35 pm »
Seems like the best thing to do. If you have to you can get a crack for the game to bypass the protection. They're not illegal or anything so you're good.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:18:03 am »
I am not sure. The DMAC might actually make cracks illegal. But if you have a bit more moderate laws in you county then most likely not. Well id do not matter really. The only way someone can know you have cracked you legal copy is if they brake the law to get that information.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:11:14 am »
Reverting back to the first patch seems to allow the game to play.  But when my wife went to back up her game all of her game files were gone!  Fortunately she upgraded her harddrive a few months ago and didn't lose everything but let this be a reminder to always back up your games before upgrading.  (she knew better but was lazy).   This apparently does happen to sims 2 game files occationally for somewhat unknown reasons.

So the good news is that the game is at least playable again on the first patch.  The bad news is my wife is still wanting some of the fixes from the second patch.  The first reply from EA was a copy of their online help.  I replied back and asked them escalate the request to someone who knew how to read the logs file and tell us what the conflict is.  We're also going to send a copy directly to securom and hope they can help.

I've heard too that the DMAC makes cracks or any bypass pretty much illegal.  Fortunately I'm in a more "moderate country" but will have to research specifically the laws here.

I've made a very concerted effort to educate myself and my friends over the last 5 years of the dangers of online downloading and the advantages buying software legitimately and am proud that I don't pirate software.  How sad will it be that potentially the only solution is a "grey market" solution to fix software I have purchased.   All together my wife has sunk probably $350 plus into sims 2 software.

Offline Xoatl_169

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Beast MODE!
    • View Profile
    • Twi Light
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:31:40 pm »
Reverting back to the first patch seems to allow the game to play.  But when my wife went to back up her game all of her game files were gone!  Fortunately she upgraded her harddrive a few months ago and didn't lose everything but let this be a reminder to always back up your games before upgrading.  (she knew better but was lazy).   This apparently does happen to sims 2 game files occationally for somewhat unknown reasons.

So the good news is that the game is at least playable again on the first patch.  The bad news is my wife is still wanting some of the fixes from the second patch.  The first reply from EA was a copy of their online help.  I replied back and asked them escalate the request to someone who knew how to read the logs file and tell us what the conflict is.  We're also going to send a copy directly to securom and hope they can help.

I've heard too that the DMAC makes cracks or any bypass pretty much illegal.  Fortunately I'm in a more "moderate country" but will have to research specifically the laws here.

I've made a very concerted effort to educate myself and my friends over the last 5 years of the dangers of online downloading and the advantages buying software legitimately and am proud that I don't pirate software.  How sad will it be that potentially the only solution is a "grey market" solution to fix software I have purchased.   All together my wife has sunk probably $350 plus into sims 2 software.

Wow all that effort... You guys must REALLY love Sims...
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Dimitri1only

Leave me some comments would you?

Offline wgooch

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 07:46:26 pm »
We don't have any of that sort of stuff.  The only thing on there is Nero cd burning software... which hasn't caused a problem since it was installed 5 years ago and the 2 years she's had the Sims.  We uninstalled it anyways.  The only thing that has changed is installing the new patch.

I think we're going to try uninstalling apartment life and reinstalling it sans patch.
That might be your problem, with every release of a expansion pack, the evil people of EA update the evil secrom in hope of world wide domination, also I know that Process explore inter fears with secrom games as well, I advise making a analysis file by right clicking on the sims 2 icon and pressing launch analysis, after it's complete check your c drive or where ever you have the sims 2 installed for the file it created, email this too support@securom.com with information on the problem and possible a screen shot, and in 1 or 2 days they should email you a new exe file for the sims 2 that should fix the problem up, I have had the type of problem you are experiencing and it turned out that another secrom game was trying to merge with the sims 2 secrom and that was breaking it. Hope this helps ;D
All your base are belong to Grox.

Only email me under special circumstances, PM me instead. ;D

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:38:09 pm »
I advise making a analysis file by right clicking on the sims 2 icon and pressing launch analysis, after it's complete check your c drive or where ever you have the sims 2 installed for the file it created, email this too support@securom.com with information on the problem and possible a screen shot, and in 1 or 2 days they should email you a new exe file for the sims 2 that should fix the problem up, I have had the type of problem you are experiencing and it turned out that another secrom game was trying to merge with the sims 2 secrom and that was breaking it. Hope this helps ;D

I already had the analysis log made up and sent to EA but apparently they don't care about such things.  I've sent and E-mail to the securom folks and will keep my fingers crossed.  Could the evil that is securom actually have good tech support making them at least not so evil?  Stay tuned.

More accurately my wife REALLY loves the sims.  I play it maybe once every expansion pack and lose interest after a day.  I'm secretly celebrating the loss of her games as it means she might spend less time on the game.  Once she realized how much her downloaded content was lagging the start up screen, she isn't as broke up about the whole data loss thing as I might have expected.  But this whole 2nd patch thing is still a thorn.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:30:42 am »
Sorry, I cannot help much with your SecuROM / DRM troubles, but I figured this comic (XKCD) would give ya a little smile:

(Note: I do not support piracy, however once you purchase something legitimately and can no longer use this product b/c of something wrong with the product, I feel you have the right to remedy the situation in a reasonable way... ie: using a crack)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:32:19 am by WeatherMAN »
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 08:07:31 am »
I have just read on the Bethesda forum that some people are having big problems with Securom too.

It seems that if you have Spore installed before then Fallout 3 DRM thinks your legit disc is an illegal copy.. etc..

ie. there is a possible conflict between the SPore DRM and other games using even milder versions of Securom.

Note that Fallout will be in Australia in 2 days time so I can't speak from personal experience yet.

Offline wgooch

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:16:41 pm »
I advise making a analysis file by right clicking on the sims 2 icon and pressing launch analysis, after it's complete check your c drive or where ever you have the sims 2 installed for the file it created, email this too support@securom.com with information on the problem and possible a screen shot, and in 1 or 2 days they should email you a new exe file for the sims 2 that should fix the problem up, I have had the type of problem you are experiencing and it turned out that another secrom game was trying to merge with the sims 2 secrom and that was breaking it. Hope this helps ;D

I already had the analysis log made up and sent to EA but apparently they don't care about such things.  I've sent and E-mail to the securom folks and will keep my fingers crossed.  Could the evil that is securom actually have good tech support making them at least not so evil?  Stay tuned.

More accurately my wife REALLY loves the sims.  I play it maybe once every expansion pack and lose interest after a day.  I'm secretly celebrating the loss of her games as it means she might spend less time on the game.  Once she realized how much her downloaded content was lagging the start up screen, she isn't as broke up about the whole data loss thing as I might have expected.  But this whole 2nd patch thing is still a thorn.

I actually found secrom's support very nice, until they messed up and sent me a lego star wars exe after I asked for the Sims Free Time fix, and so I asked again, and they sent me a foot ball game's exe,  >:(
All your base are belong to Grox.

Only email me under special circumstances, PM me instead. ;D

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 12:28:11 pm »
Securom came through for us.  We sent the request late one night and had the reply by 7:30 am EST in the form of an exe.    EA's tech support never did come through at all other than close our ticket when I did everything they asked and sent the analysis file as suggested in their help files.  Hurray for securom support and hurrah for everyone here that directed me to them.

I want to like EA and hate securom... But this incident has done the opposite.

Offline legojedij

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
    • ZTV
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 04:12:28 pm »
lol i will always think that sucurom's software is evil but atleast they say sorry and try to fix the problem unlike ea who doesnt give a carp about it

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 06:22:37 am »
The SecuROM changed at a few points in Sims2's life. I'm guessing that was one of the points.

Securom came through for us.  We sent the request late one night and had the reply by 7:30 am EST in the form of an exe.    EA's tech support never did come through at all other than close our ticket when I did everything they asked and sent the analysis file as suggested in their help files.  Hurray for securom support and hurrah for everyone here that directed me to them.

I want to like EA and hate securom... But this incident has done the opposite.
Whatever about EA, Sony wouldn't last at all if it didn't have good customer support.