Author Topic: From the soup to the sea  (Read 9230 times)

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
Re: From the soup to the sea
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 01:43:05 pm »
Not clearly enough to agree or disagree, I'm afraid. But I distinctly remember his legged creature being in the water.

-Craig

Offline RahXephon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 03:39:40 pm »
Okay, so I thought about it a bit more and this is how I remember it happening.

At first Will was in the water, showing the creature swimming and such with the camera fully underwater with the creature. He then went to the character editor, showed us a few items like how the skeletal structure and limbs worked, took off the fins, added the three legs and the hand on the tail and the left the editor. I do remember him saying something like "this creature has legs, so lets take him up on land" but when he left the editor the camera was no longer underwater. Rather the camera was now above ground.

I do remember the creature was still in the water, it was standing on the edge of the water and then walked onto the land. So it wasn't like the creature was in the exact same location as before (underwater) and the camera moved with the creature as it swam from the sea onto the land. Rather the camera was underwater with the creature, the legs were added, and then the camera was on land and the creature was standing on the edge of the water.

Do you remember it happening this way as well?

but he did take huge leaps in the game play, it might be a lot smoother in the final version. surely you would have fin>webbed feet>feet and at some point would be meant to move towards the land

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 05:33:57 pm »
I think that what your creatures "evolves" and gets is basically whatever you purchase for it. There doesn't really need to be a logical order to it. Give EVO a play, the game is similar in that you can add whatever you feel like so long as you can afford it.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 05:37:58 pm »
Just don't buy fire in the sea stage. That probably wouldn't work.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 06:20:12 pm »
*shhh* that's a whole nother can of worms you're taking to the tin-opener
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 12:07:16 am »
I don't think it's that big a deal.

Offline DM_Craft

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Im a donut hear me ROAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 12:18:46 am »
Posted on: March 24, 2005, 01:11:39 PM

:o

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 12:31:01 am »
Just don't buy fire in the sea stage. That probably wouldn't work.

http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?j0du74njtls

;D

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 01:14:48 am »
The transitions we've seen so far were so smooth you might not even notice when you jumped stages. In last year's video the willosaur eel got legs and then just walked onto land. In this year's video, a city bought the UFO like it was just another vehicle, and things just kept on going. It was mentioned at some point the camera in the cell stage will keep panning back as your creature gets bigger, so I think it will just keep panning back relative to creature size until you're a tiny swimming thing in the creature stage, and continue to pan in the creature stage as your creature gets larger.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 02:03:56 am »
Yes I agree with Full Metal, your creature will just get more and more complex and get larger with every egg u lay.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 06:44:02 am »
Okay, so I thought about it a bit more and this is how I remember it happening.

At first Will was in the water, showing the creature swimming and such with the camera fully underwater with the creature. He then went to the character editor, showed us a few items like how the skeletal structure and limbs worked, took off the fins, added the three legs and the hand on the tail and the left the editor. I do remember him saying something like "this creature has legs, so lets take him up on land" but when he left the editor the camera was no longer underwater. Rather the camera was now above ground.

I do remember the creature was still in the water, it was standing on the edge of the water and then walked onto the land. So it wasn't like the creature was in the exact same location as before (underwater) and the camera moved with the creature as it swam from the sea onto the land. Rather the camera was underwater with the creature, the legs were added, and then the camera was on land and the creature was standing on the edge of the water.

Do you remember it happening this way as well?
I do remember it happening this way, but we have to remember that these were all done in the aim of providing a demonstration of the game. What he was playing with wasnt really a representation of the final game, but a kind of rigged up 'debug mode' so that he can show us some interesting points of note in the time allotted. If you watch some of the recent Spore videos (that were recorded at different locations), the events in the video are the same. Its likely that they were using a specifically coded 'demonstration' version of the game. You've noticed how he knows where to go to find each species or his own pack? You've noticed how he knows which planet the discarded alien tech is on? Its a playable demo reel, and a lot of things are missing. I wouldnt really think that the jump between stages of the game are going to be as sudden as he made it appear, but at the same time I wouldnt think we would have to play through -every- step of the way. The number of generations between amoeba and simple aquatic creature would be simply too much for a player to handle, they'd lose interest.

I expect it will be handled similar to the Sims 2. Rather than seeing your amoeba grow inch by inch over many many generations, I think you will reach a sort of 'critical size' where you simply outgrow the tidepool, or have spent a certain amount of points on developing your little blobby. Rather than a simple, generic cutscene displayed as a pre-rendered FMV, I could imagine a game-rendered cutscene with your amoeba, that somehow lets you know that time is speeding up, and you are no longer in control of just a single, simple cellular creature. By the end of whatever in-game cutscene follows (no doubt showing your personal cell-creature doing something), the view would pan into the ocean with your new creature awaiting you. Again, this is just speculation, but I suspect there will be some form of 'jump' involved, but I dont think it will be too sudden.

Even in the Sims 2, you knew roughly when someone was getting older, by a slider that showed their age progression. Whilst their behaviour and appearance only altered majorly at set intervals of their life, you still had a fair sense of time-progression. I would personally love it if our cell-creatures physically outgrew the tidepool, after so long of growing, we actually saw a membrane-like 'edge' to the stage, and to progress to the ocean (creature stage), we simply had to break through it. It would be even more interesting if at first, your cell-creature isnt strong enough to break through the surface membrane into the ocean, and could be used to gauge the age/size/strength of your cell-creature as you go along, simply by trying to break out, and watching how the membrane resists, or whether it nearly breaks. Problem is, if we play -every- stage between microscopic blobby and sea-creature, then we'd need to do an aweful lot of swimming around and eating microscopic vegetation in the sea, and that doesnt really sound like much fun. C'mon, when you're that small, travelling a few inches could take a good half hour  ;D

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 07:37:35 am »

Don't bring back old topics with a nonsense post please.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 10:36:34 pm »

Then why the necro bump?

I do think it's a big deal.  What if I want a creature with legs to live in the water (crabs and their bottom feeding friends).  What if I want a creature with no legs on land?  (snails and snakes).  What if I want an amphibian (frogs and turtles... reptile I know but speaking of habit not animal type)?  What if I want an air breather in water (whales and seals).

I think we should get to choose lungs or gills, and even this shouldn't be the deciding factor of whether you're a land species or an aquatic species.

The only deciding factor of land or sea should be where you go.  And the only permently deciding factor should be where you build your first hut when you go tribal.

As for Soup to Sea transition, I would hope that when you add the spine your shape is roughly transformed into 3D in the editor and you continue in the sea, slightly larger but with the same shape.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 03:03:40 am »
At some point, you get a spine. That's the important part.

-Craig

Unless your creature is a wimp, then it's spineless  :D
Also as scipion said, EVO is an awesome snes game!
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 04:51:13 am »
I do believe someone pointed out that Will clicked a button and that was why his creature left the sea. I imagine if you wanted, you could have a legged creature underwater.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.