Author Topic: From the soup to the sea  (Read 12193 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
From the soup to the sea
« on: March 24, 2005, 01:32:59 pm »
I was think how the transition from single celled organism to the sea creature is going to be.  Will it be that when you are able to pass on to that point you will be given the different menus you get for those creatures and start from scratch.  Or maybe just have a big verion fo your single celled one.  Any one have ideas on this.

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
Re: From the soup to the sea
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 01:39:05 pm »
All i can say is that when ur a cell you get opitions to add like amebia things and such

When ur in the sea you get stuff like fins and tails.

I think you'll get to expand opon your cell organism when u get ot the sea part.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 02:07:37 pm »
At some point, you get a spine. That's the important part.

-Craig

Offline Ketro Fett

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 02:49:41 pm »
Yes, I agree with Craig.  I think it'll be a smooth transition.  When you get a spine, it'll probably open up all the other vertebrate options, and you'll leave the ameoba stage.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 02:53:57 pm »
Yes, I agree with Craig. I think it'll be a smooth transition. When you get a spine, it'll probably open up all the other vertebrate options, and you'll leave the ameoba stage.

Hmmm. I don't know if it will be all that smooth. I mean, even though growing up in Sims 2 isn't exactly comparable to evolving from invertebrate to vertebrate (since the gaming experience does not change), it may give us an idea of how the transition may look. I put my money on an in-game cut scene to mark the event. :)
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Ketro Fett

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 05:46:31 pm »
That's certainly possible as well.  I'm one of the few that hasn't played The Sims or The Sims 2, so I don't really know Will Wright's "style", so to speak. :)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 08:11:39 pm »
I can't imagine going through every stage of evolution from one cell to a whole fish :P

It'd take years going through colonies and nematodes and other...stuff...

I'd say it's going to be a pretty big change. ie. one minute a cell, next eight trillion.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:03:43 pm »
I thought that the egg stage was what that was for?

ie, you start of as a single cell, you spend that time eating and surviving and once you have eaten enough you produce an egg which lets you edit your creature to be ready for the next stage of development and then you repeat the process again.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 10:08:02 pm »
I think it will be more of a you evolved *ding!*

you click the egg and get new options just as in a fantasy mmorpg you get new spells at a new level.  At the point of "levelation" (highly doubt that word exists before I uttered it) you gain access to the new options.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 01:35:30 am »
That's pretty much what I had in mind. Who knows though?
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 10:04:56 am »
Okay, I haven't posted that much (well, almost nothing really) on this forum but I got some emails asking for me post a bit on this forum. So here I am!

Anyhow I think is an interesting topic and one you have to think from the game design point of view. The Sims 2 baby to child to adult design mechanic is actually more complex than the evolution one found in Spore. In Spore you have a completely linear game, you will always (as far as we know) go from cell to multicell to water-based to land-based to tool-based to civ-based to space-based and so on. The Sims 2 on the other hand, allowed you to explore multiple timeline/gameplay progressions simultaneously. Because of this compromises needed to be made with the transitions between stages in order to cut down on complexities. With Spore since it's so linear they will be able to better predict the progression of a player throughout the game.

If you remember I actually saw one of these transitions occur during the demo. When he took the fins off the creature and put on legs (after he had enough "money" to purchase them) and then left the character creation screen the creature just appeared on land (next to the water). So the creature just went from one stage to another after they hit the necessary milestone (in this case, legs).

Personally I believe there will be a "transition" animation or something similar showing your creature moving from environment to another. This is the sort of thing which is usually done at the very end of a production cycle since it is more "show" than actual gameplay. So I think there will be a "jump" from one playing arena to another (in this case water to land) but it will be buffered with an animation or something similar moving the player from one stage to another.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 10:09:09 am »
Steve: You're remembering incorrectly, I believe. When he put legs on, his creature was still in the water. He then said something like "this creature has legs, so lets take him up on land," at which point he swam to shore and walked out.

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 10:13:16 am »
Steve: You're remembering incorrectly, I believe. When he put legs on, his creature was still in the water. He then said something like "this creature has legs, so lets take him up on land," at which point he swam to shore and walked out.

-Craig

Hum, I don't think so. The only reason I semi-remember this is because I was curious to see how it was going to transition between stages and was disappointed when nothing happened. And I'm looking at my notes (I took 10 pages of notes right after the presentation) and I mentioned this in my notes.

However, he was also obviously playing tricks throughout the demo (i.e. instantly moving from one stage to another) so who knows? Perhaps we're both right and I just missed the transition since it was so quick.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 11:13:44 am »
All i got to say is that in The Sims 2, I found the aging system EXTREMELY boring as hell.

You'd jsut sit their a wait for the next age cycle. Also unlike The Orginial Sims, The Sims 2 required so mcuh micromanaging that it was hard to turn the fast forward speed on.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 12:43:49 pm »
Okay, so I thought about it a bit more and this is how I remember it happening.

At first Will was in the water, showing the creature swimming and such with the camera fully underwater with the creature. He then went to the character editor, showed us a few items like how the skeletal structure and limbs worked, took off the fins, added the three legs and the hand on the tail and the left the editor. I do remember him saying something like "this creature has legs, so lets take him up on land" but when he left the editor the camera was no longer underwater. Rather the camera was now above ground.

I do remember the creature was still in the water, it was standing on the edge of the water and then walked onto the land. So it wasn't like the creature was in the exact same location as before (underwater) and the camera moved with the creature as it swam from the sea onto the land. Rather the camera was underwater with the creature, the legs were added, and then the camera was on land and the creature was standing on the edge of the water.

Do you remember it happening this way as well?