Author Topic: Shapes,how do you see them?  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
Shapes,how do you see them?
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »

Since I was in a drawing mood,I decided I wanted to draw something interesting,in this case a Dalek.

However before I got started I needed to look at the shapes that made up the Dalek's body,the rason being that shapes are starting part when making a drawing.

Here is the shapes that I think make the Dalek's body,now I am sure there are more probably,the problem is,I'm no sure what other shapes!
Can anyone see any other shapes besides ones I think I see,or am I looking at it all wrong?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:36:26 pm by Ultimatum »

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
Re: Shapes,how do you see them?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 01:38:20 pm »
Make slides more slanted like Trapezoids and make the top domed. 
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:15 pm »
Your drawing looks about right to me. It's like you're going at it as if you had to carve it out of stone. Very cool!

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:31:46 pm »
These are the shapes I see in the Dalek:

You have to see the basic shapes in 3d, otherwise your picture will look incredibly flat and boring. After you have the basic shapes like this, then you simply add the details.

Offline Elerd

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 04:14:35 pm »

It might be my polygonal inclination, but these are the shapes I can extract on a basic level from this picture. though I might have misunderstood the goal of this thread...

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 04:19:06 pm »
 "though I might have misunderstood the goal of this thread..."

Nope,your doing exatly what the thread's goal is  :)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 04:22:54 pm »
Hmm.  When I draw something, and it's been a long time since I have, I think i usually look at the lines, not so much the shapes, if that makes sense.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Elerd

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:42:01 pm »
Hmm.  When I draw something, and it's been a long time since I have, I think i usually look at the lines, not so much the shapes, if that makes sense.
There are many ways to build a house

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »

I didn't know what I was doing really. Screwing around...

Smaller looks interesting.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:57:18 pm »
For some reason, the shape of the Dalek reminds me of that skyscraper in Metropolis.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 08:28:59 am »
yknow...the drawing people should make tutorials and such

*wink wink nudge nudge* >.>

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 05:00:52 pm »
when have we ever bothered to do anything to benefit you?!

scum!

actually, i do remember there was a thread about drawing dinosaurs.

Offline Great Distance

• Mappy Meowky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:16 am »
Oh, I think I can do something on this one! Just wait. :)

Edit:

So, this is actually something I first tried out a couple of months ago. So far I think it has been a great help. Some of you may remember the stuff I posted in the Merry Doodles thread a while back.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/GD_/Muut%20harjoitukset/construction-1.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/GD_/Muut%20harjoitukset/construction2.jpg

Anyhow, this is basically what MetallicDragon was saying. You need to see the basic 3D forms to understand what you're drawing and to do it correctly. Some knowledge of perspective will come in handy, too, especially if you ever want to draw stuff from your head.

1: You can paste the photo in the same image you're going to draw in for easy reference. You could make it smaller or bigger than the drawing you're going to make to raise difficulty.
2: This is what I see as the basic shape of Dalek. A rounded cone.
3: Here you can see the shape from different directions. You should be able to do this part in your head to make sure you really know what the object looks like in 3D. This applies to all the other shapes you are going to add as well. It would take too long to actually draw all the different positions, so you just have to rely on your imagination. Note that this part is especially important if you don't have a photo for reference, and if you want to draw the thing from different agles than shown in the photo.
4: You should start by adding the biggest and most obvious parts. I decided to add the ring first, because it's the most noticeable part.
5: Here's another ring of some sort.
6: I defined the top part more to show that it's pretty much the half of a sphere attached to a cylinder. This is also where you see all the most basic shapes in the Dalek. Notice how perspective affects the circles going through the object. The further away they are are from their vanishing point, the rounder they appear. The circle at the top is a bit wrong in regards to that, but I was just lazy, so pay no attention to it.
7: I cleaned out everything you can't actually see from this angle, because it's about time to start adding the surface details. Trust me, you don't want to draw all the details on the opposite side, too. ;)
8: Two more rings and some plates around the Dalek.
9: Some more details. The curvy lines in the middle are to help with positioning the lamps. See how these are also affected by perspective.
10: The final steps of the sketch are done, so after this you could check it for mistakes, redefine the outlines and start coloring, if you will.

In case you were wondering about the vanishing point and perspective, I decided to define those, too. Assuming that the two circled parts are pretty much level to horizon and both are facing the same direction, you can define the vanishing point by striking two lines through them and seeing where they meet. You can draw the horizon line on that point.

I hope this helps somewhat. Just remember to think in the basic shapes, like cubes, cones, cylinders and spheres.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:57:35 pm by Great Distance »

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:45 pm »
Anyhow, this is basically what DarkDragon was saying.

*ahem*

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 01:41:53 pm »
Thanks Great Distance :)

Offline Great Distance

• Mappy Meowky
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:12 pm »
Anyhow, this is basically what DarkDragon was saying.

*ahem*

Oops, sorry.

Fixed.

I always get you two mixed up, anyway.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 04:46:22 pm »
Since the original question has been answered, would you (as in anyone, really) be willing to do up a tutorial on how to do my Milika in different poses, since every attempt I make I seem to skrew it up, even if I follow all the common sense tips.  (funny, you'd think the original maker would know how to draw them best)
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 05:06:41 pm »
Since the original question has been answered, would you (as in anyone, really) be willing to do up a tutorial on how to do my Milika in different poses, since every attempt I make I seem to skrew it up, even if I follow all the common sense tips.  (funny, you'd think the original maker would know how to draw them best)

Funny how the person who criticizes my spelling a lot makes a childish spelling error :P

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »
Oh, sibling rivalry... on the internet...

This is kinda pathetic, if you don't mind me saying...  :-\

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 01:34:16 am »
Oh, sibling rivalry... on the internet...

This is kinda pathetic, if you don't mind me saying...  :-\

You don't even have a sibling.

Anyways, so what?  If it was someone else I would do the same thing.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)