Author Topic: Vampire Mafia - Spectator and Graveyard thread  (Read 16663 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Mafia - Sign up here
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 12:15:37 am »
Um....real life issues once more raise their ugly head.

I think I'll have to sit this one out.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 06:28:27 am »
I'll join, after reading a bit this sounds interesting.

Also, you misspelled someones name.
Fixed

Um....real life issues once more raise their ugly head.

I think I'll have to sit this one out.
Okay

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 11:02:52 am »
So when do we start?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 02:18:48 pm »
The first post says: "Game estimated to start on Oct. 23rd."

So I assume we might start around that date.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:38 pm »
Yeah, anyone else want to sign up? I'll have to close sign ups in a day so I can start assigning roles. Game will start on the 23rd.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:08 pm »
Can I be given something straight forward, because this is my first go at a Mafia game.  *still needs to read more of the rules*
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:32 pm »
It's not hard at all. You're given a role and what your power is by pm from me. Powers are used at night by pming me what you want to do, votes happen in the day time by posting here. All you have to do is play your character and try to figure out who is on the opposite team and get them removed.

You can read some of the other game threads if you want, that might help. Also, read the rules that Luminar wrote.

The players will be split into Townsfolk and Mafia on a 2 to 1 ratio. One player will be a vampire. How you win the game is dependent on which team you're in.

TOWNSFOLK
WIN CONDITION: KILL ALL THE MAFIA
KILL METHOD: DAYTIME LYNCHING
Townsfolk are the uninformed majority. Their main advantage is that they have twice as many people as the mafia do - however, unlike the mafia, Townsfolk do not know the identity of other players, which means they have to rely on logic and observance of other players during the day to determine what their affiliation could be. This makes them open to manipulation by the mafia who mingle with them during the day and influence the lynch. The townsfolk are at a disadvantage in the early game, but get potentially stronger as the game continues.

MAFIA
WIN CONDITION: SURPASS THE TOWNSFOLK IN NUMBER
KILL METHOD: MURDER AT NIGHT
Mafia are the informed minority. They are fewer in number than the townsfolk so deaths of their kin are much more costly, but their defining advantage is that they know who each other are, and are allowed to communicate with each other in secret to plan their strategy - who to kill, how to use their powers towards a common goal, and how to manipulate the townsfolk into lynching themselves. Unlike the townsfolk, they are a centralized faction and have a leader in THE BOSS, who is responsible for communicating the mafia's desires to the game moderator. Each night they are allowed to kill one townsfolk member, this is reached via popular decision. The mafia are strong at the beginning of the game but their strength level does not have as much capacity for growth as the Townsfolk's.

VAMPIRE
WIN CONDITION: SURPASS THE TOWNSFOLK AND MAFIA IN NUMBER
KILL METHOD: CONVERT SOMEONE TO A VAMPIRE EACH NIGHT

The game progresses in phases, each being a minimum of 12 hours in length at the beginning and shortening as necessary as the game goes on. The two phases are DAY and NIGHT.

DAY PHASE
During the Day Phase, all players - mafia, vampire and townsfolk alike - must vote on who should be lynched. At the end of the phase, the one with the highest votes will be lynched and eliminated from the game. You may abstain from voting, and change your vote at any time you please - it is only made final when the phase ends. Townsfolk should be trying to figure out who is mafia by looking at voting patterns, trying to separate lies and manipulation from truth, and then voting for who they have a good suspicion of being mafia. Mafia members on the other hand, pose as townsfolk and try to manipulate the townsfolk into hanging each other.

NIGHT PHASE
During the Night Phase, the Mafia plot on who to murder if they haven't already drawn up a plan. Once they have reached a decision, the Mafia Boss PMs the game moderator with which townsfolk member is going to die, and which mafia member is going to do the killing. Also in this phase, active role powers are brought into play - vigilante kills, taxi driver switches, and so forth. The Night Phase ends after a defined length of time (usually shorter than the day phase) to give players enough time to get their power call outs to my in box. The vampire also chooses one victim each night.

Day and Night cycle repeatedly until either side wins. In other words, players are constantly being eliminated from the game.

POWER USAGE
All roles have their own special powers which sets them apart from other roles. These come in two forms - Passive and Active.
Passive powers are always in effect unless something happens to change or remove them. They do not have to be "called".
Active powers must be "called" by PMing the game moderator with a request to use your power, and stating the target/s if the power requires it. They can be called at any time, and will be put into effect at the end of the next night phase.
Powers can also be of Unlimited or Limited use. Unlimited powers can be used as many times throughout the game as the user pleases. Limited powers only have a set number of uses before they can be used anymore, however.
Bear in mind that powers may have other conditions that need to be adhered to. For example, Priests cannot protect themselves.

The order powers are used in are determined by role category. The order is thus:
DISRUPT > PROTECT > KILL > INVESTIGATE
The only exemption to this is the Wizard role, who always goes first.

DEATH
Keep in mind that you can die at pretty much any time of the game. When a player dies, their role is revealed to all the other players, and they are no longer able to post in the main thread or interact with the game in any way. You are NOT allowed a "ghost post" or parting shot, I realize that this is hard to enforce but please be aware it is seen as very rude, so do it at your own risk since I can't control what people will think of you.

FORBIDDEN THINGS:
1) Do not directly reveal another player's role.
You are allowed to reveal or lie about your own role as you please, but revealing another player's role directly will result in being expelled from the game. Revealing discovered interactions if you're a detective, psychic, or any other interaction-learning role is fine. Accusations or lists of your own suspicions are fine too - to be on the safe side, please state that you are accusing.
2) Do not use "Who's Online" to see who is sending PMs.

3) Don't take judgments personally.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, judgments and all things of the sort are all parts of this game - do not join the game if you feel you cannot handle these things.

4) Keep it civil.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, and judgments may well be parts of this game, but outright insulting another player isn't. This isn't the place to bring your grudges or spiteful streaks.

5)If you're not sure how something works, ASK!

6) If you die or are not an active player, please stay out of the game thread.
The main game thread is for living, active players - if you are killed or are simply a spectator, please come to this topic to post so that the players don't have to sift through clutter posts. Dead players may view the ongoing game and discuss it with other slain and spectators in the graveyard thread, but may NOT post in the main thread.

7) If you are an active player, please stay out of the graveyard thread.
In order to keep the game free of being influenced by outside suggestion, I would suggest staying out of the topic for dead players.

Current players: 23
15 Townspeople/ 1 Vampire/ 7 Mafia
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:05:48 pm by LadyM »

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »
Um, it's twelve hour shift? That might not work so well for me, depending on when the shift starts and end...
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 07:50:10 pm »
What happens if the same turn that a mafia dies, the vampires outnumber the others?

Do the townies win? Do the vampires win? Do they both win?
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 05:51:58 am »
Um, it's twelve hour shift? That might not work so well for me, depending on when the shift starts and end...

The shifts will be longer at first. Powers can be sent to me by pm or email. You can presend your vote if you know you won't be online. As long as you stay active in some way.

What happens if the same turn that a mafia dies, the vampires outnumber the others?

Do the townies win? Do the vampires win? Do they both win?
If the vampires outnumber the mafia and townies, then the vampires win.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 02:17:56 pm »
Wait how does that work if vampire minions cant bite? Say, you have 5 mafia, 5 vamps, 5 townies at the start of one day, (and the vampire lord is dead) and an innocent townie is killed, a mafia is killed, and no vampire is blessed, we have a 4 5 4 now, but the vampires can no longer advance so why would they win? It would make more sense if it wasnt until it was 0 # 0...
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 02:31:33 pm »
I think she means that the Vampires have to outnumber the combined mafia and townies, at which point the Vampires will eventually win by controlling the vote.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 04:23:23 pm »
Edit: Win conditions

TOWNIES: Win condition, kill all the Mafia and the Vampire
MAFIA: Win condition, Equal or surpass the townies in number and the Vampire must be dead
VAMPIRE: Win condition, all other players must be dead and only vampires remain

I'm also closing registration now to get things set up. Anyone else who signs up can be an alternate.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:34:27 pm by LadyM »

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:29 am »
All of the roles have been sent out. If you are in the game and did not get your role, let me know. If you have questions, let me know now. It's never too late to ask questions.

There may or may not be secondary roles in this game.
There may be roles you have not seen played before but all roles are listed in the mafia guide: http://sagan4.com/mafia/index.html

The game may get twisty and you might not understand why at first but remember that there is a chain of events at night that makes things change. Just because you asked for something to happen, it may have been disrupted along the way.

I'm going to start the first vote tonight and it will go for 24 hours. I'll unlock the thread and announce it later today.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 08:22:36 am »
I can't wait.
Probably not a Goat, either.