Author Topic: The Third Grand RP: A Mage's Wager  (Read 11914 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
The Third Grand RP: A Mage's Wager
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:46:13 am »
The bard strutted into the inn from the balmy summer night and gently laid his lute on the table.
"Ahem" he coughed gently. Immediately the low hubbub of relaxed conversation ceased and all eyes were upon him.
All at once the children in the room rushed to the feet of the stool the bard had perched himself on, and sat cross legged in rapt anticipation. The adults sniffed dismissively and turned back to their cards and their ale.
"What story are you going to tell us?" said a small girl near the front.
"Tell us one about a dragon!" came a demand "No! No! A battle!" "Goblins!" "Elves!" "magic beans!"
"I have something much better to tell you all... a story about an ordinary group of people, just like the ones in your village" said the Bard, to the obvious dissapointment of all.
"And... a wicked sorcerer!" this quickly swung the crowd back into his favour. Strumming a few notes on his Lute, the bard cleared his throat and began.

The Mage's Wager

Our story takes place in the green and pleasent land of Middenvale. Gird in twain by the lazy and silt-bloated river Midden, this green and peaceable Duchy was unsullied by disaster. The harvests are good, the pace of life is slow, it is no place for heroes, except perhaps as a retirement retreat, and as every good boy or girl knows, a hero who has the opportunity or the inclination to retire is no hero at all.
For most people the easy pace of life was enough, and for those who craved excitement, why, the road out of Middenvale was straight and flat, with nary a missing cobble or pothole to be found.

But for some people even the thrill of adventure did not sate their thirst for excitement. For on the biggest hill in Middenvale, there stood an Ivory tower as tall as the tallest tree in the land, and in it dwelled a society of wizards and magicians, sorcerers and prestidigitators. It was their way to study the stories of the land, to delve into legends and to uncover arcane secrets... but recently they had grown tired of their task, as all the legends worth knowing had been told and retold a thousand times, and all the arcane secrets had been discovered, at least, those that the Wizards considered worth their time, for there are still many secrets about, if you know where to look.
It was on a summer's eve very much like this that the Wizards convened at the top of their tower for a council, and this is where our story begins.

"What about the crevasse of forbiddance?" asked Archmage Toldo "I hear there was a drake's nest there not long ago"

"Cleared out" said Sirius, curtly. He was an oily sorcerer, every inch the wicked wizard from stories, his pale tongue darted across his lips and his black eyes glinted avariciously in the candlelight "Cleared out two centuries ago my lord, by the Knight Sir Chevallier"

Toldo shifted his bulk a little in his seat and blustered frustratedly "Two centuries? and no one thought to tell me?"

"We aah, did tell you my lord" said Alaric delicately, who was by far the most wise and noble of the wizards, though humble enough to know his station in the grand scheme of things.

"Bosh! I feel I shall die of boredome!" said the Archmage, irritably.

"But that you would" muttered Sirius to himself.

"If I might put forth a suggestion my lord?" said Alaric. "That would solve many of our problems in one fell swoop, I believe"

"Out with it young Alaric" said the Archmage impatiently.

"Perhaps instead of waiting for some heroes to emerge, we should arrange matters so that they DO emerge." he began "Our laboratories sit dusty and unused, where once we made all manner of wondrous creatures and devices. All we must do is manufacture a challenge and provide the means, and why, I believe anyone could become a hero."

He stopped as Sirius snorted derisively.

"Nonsense!" he sneered. "Heroes are born, not made, a village idiot with an enchanted sword would cut off his own head before he slew a dragon."

"I respectfully disagree" disagreed Alaric, respectfully.

"Well, perhaps you would put a wager on it!" said Sirius, with the air of one who had already won.

"Very well" said Alaric "What is bet?"

"Your staff!" said Sirius. The assembled wizards gasped. His staff was a wizard's most prized possession, to part with it would mean losing a great part of his power until he could create a new one.

Alaric thought for a moment. "Very well! Within a month I will have assembled for you here, not one, but a group of heroes, selected from ordinary villagers from yonder hamlet" he said, poiting from the tower's wide windows to the dim light of the cosy village below.

Although it pained him, Sirius agreed, and Alaric retreated to his laboratory to prepare what he would need for the wager to succeed. Sirius, however, was too wicked and greedy to ride out the wager honourably, and made his own wicked plans...

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The Third Grand RP: A Mage's Wager
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:27:26 am »
Alaric stepped out of the huge gates of the Ivory tower, and warpping himself well in his travellers cloak he set off for the town. The tower could be seen for miles around, and all knew where it was, but powerful and ancient enchantments made certain no-one ever strayed near, or even pondered its purpose. For the most part, people just ignored it. Soon Alaric was in the town's tavern, scouting for the perfect seat. Through careful searching, he finally found the perfect spot, the one which would guarantee the right people would find him.

The bard laughed "No, not even close. He chose the shadiest corner of the room, pulled his chair into the deepest shadow, and pulled his cloak tight around himself, for it is in this way that quests begin..."

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:36:36 pm »
"'Ey! You!" Hanson pointed at the mysterious figure in the corner. "We don't like your kind here!"

That was exactly true, the truth was, magicians and the like were bad for business; he didn't ant his paying customers thinking there was a world beyond fields and ale.

"Besides!" Hanson jerked a thumb at the sign above him, the bars humble slogan; BUY SOMETHING OR GET OUT.

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:02:59 pm »
Christopher sat outside partially asleep under the early midday sun. He suddenly awoken by the sound of children running past. Readjusting his hat, Christopher stood up and waved to the kids.

"It is a hot day, would you not like to take a little break from your playing and have some fresh apple juice?"

The children turned around and ran back to the shop.

"Yes, sir, please!" the children said together.

Stepping into the shop for a moment, he returned with a few glasses filled with juice and handed them to the children.

"What do we owe you, Mister Menord?"

"Free of charge, since it is a hot day." Christopher replied as he gathered up his glasses and then paused for a moment, "But let us keep this a secret between us, no sense in letting your parents think you were stealing from me." Christopher finished with a smile and a wink.

The children ran off saying thanks. Christopher took the glasses back inside and then took up his seat once more.
Virus Buster.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:10:47 pm »
"Oh, certainly, how rude of me" said Alaric, walking carefully to the bar and putting a couple of shining golden coins as wide as saucers on the bar. "Please, you have no reason to distrust me, I am merely here to give wondrous gifts to those who would receive them."

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:19:02 pm »
After a walk through the forest, Josh went to the bar.  He was talking to his friends over in the corner of the bar, and when the wizard came in, he all but ignored his friends.  When the word "gifts" was brought up he walked over.

"Sorry, but I could not help myself but to overhear, but I would like to learn more about these "wondrous gifts" you speak of."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:23:50 pm by Kenotai »
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:45:59 pm »
"Ha ha! All in good time my boy" said Alaric, jovially. "All in good time..."
With that, the wizard turned with a swoop of his cloak and sat back in the shady corner.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 03:27:15 pm »
Jonathon wiped the sweat from his brow and laid his worn out hammer down. He took one last glance at the chair he had worked on for the past few days and smiled with satisfaction.

"Suppose I'll get a drink to celebrate another hard day of work." he said out loud to himself.

With that he locked up his shop and headed for the tavern.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:00:51 pm »
Nathan rose from his place at the poker table, immediately folding at the sight of the man's gold.  There were maybe a dozen gold coins in the entire town, and none of them were that weighty.  It would take some finagling, but he might just be able to manage it.

"The cards are in your favor tonight," he told his opponent companionably, "maybe we'll play again when I can win a hand!"  This got a laugh out of those surrounding the table.  When you played the same people month after month, it was best to let them think they could win.

"I don't know about wondrous gifts," he said as he approached the corner.  "But I'm always agreeable to a gamble, and you look like a wagering man to me.  So, what's your game?"
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 07:13:34 pm »
Bryan walked down the dusty path leading from his father's forge to the main road. It was a baking hot day, and he had prepared for that, wearing thin garb and a thin leather apron, newly smelted sword slung the the side of his leg in a crude scabbard. He smiled as he stepped through the door into the cool of the shady tavern.

Bryan says, with a grin after seeing a sparkle of something that might be gold, and walks over to the corner, "Hey! Stranger!"

Calmly walking over to the table, his heart was pounding, the guy was new! New buyers equals more coin, Bryan's dad always groused, cursing the lack of them. Stepping in lightly beside Nathan, he flashed a winning smile.

"Would you like to buy a sword? Good quality, I swear it."
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:30:03 pm »
Boom.... boom.... KAA-Boooom! Rang the bar door as Brian kicked it open carrying a large barrel. "Hey Hanson! You got the money? Because I got the stuff, and let me tell you, this is a dam good batch of wine here." Yelled Brian as he wobbled over to the bar; the barrels weight obviously starting to take effect. "Oh, ah... uh.... hmph... grhmp..." Grumbled Brian as he moved the barrel over to the rack and slid it into an empty position. "So.... You wanna pay for this now? Or just add it to your tab eh Hanson? Har har har har" Brian laughed as he moved to sit onto a stool. He then leaned in and whispered "Psst, who's the stiff in the corner? And why are all those people crowd'n round him?"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:51:57 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:37:29 am »
Hanson growled.

"There were seeds in your last batch. I. Hate. Seeds."

Hanson took another greedy look at the huge gold coins.

"Still... I guess I could afford one more barrel..."
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:52:28 am »
An old blue Gypsy caravan sat quietly in a small clearing within large forest outside of Middenvale. Two horses stood lazily at the head and watched the world go by. They were tied to a tree, or rather, the tree seemed to be watching over them and holding the rope in one of its branches. Either way, they didn't show the slightest inkling of wanting to move and just sat there with the caravan in tow. The side door was ajar, though only slightly, and gave way to a mess of crates and several large rolls of canvas. The afternoon sunlight revealed a pair of footprints that started at the caravan's door and disappeared into the choking blackness of the wood's innards. A small flickering light could be seen several minutes' walk into the forest. It was where the Caravan's owner had decided to stop.

He was a man of average height and below average weight. His simple, yet smart, clothes clung to his thin form for dear life. Milky white skin could be seen in the dancing light of the lantern on the ground beside him; his two big blue eyes were darting around a large canvas in front of him. In his left hand was a huge wooden palette splotched with ever color imaginable. He held a pair of paintbrushes in his other hand and was switching between the two with the kind of fluidity that took years to perfect. Suddenly he stopped and looked up. He pulled a smaller brush from behind his eat tapped it against his nose for a moment.

"My dear Iofra... if you would not mind, move ever-so slightly to the left." the man said in a hard voice, unbefitting to his meager form.

A beautiful young woman with flowing green hair nodded and moved. Her skin was so pale that it made the painter appear as one of the dark desert folk. Unlike the man, the woman was one of the forest people. Her kind was a quiet sort, they did not venture out of their home. Outsiders too, were keen on keeping their distance. They did not harbor any malice toward the forest people; it was just the way things were and had been for as long as anyone could remember. Iofra and the painter, however, did not see any reason why they could not seek one another out. She had been the subject of many of the painter's works of art. There was only a small market for such subject matter, but the painter held that small group in high regard for their open-mindedness.

The painter nimbly moved his brushes across the canvas, taking a stroke here or making a stabbing motion there. It would be some time before the work was ready, but he felt good about it. Iofra, the forest person, was sitting nobly on a rock and looking off to the side. Her magnificent green hair covered her like a robe. Behind her was a small window in the wall of trees that showed the outside world. Off to the side of the outward facing window was the mighty Ivory Tower, gleaming in the sunlight. It reflected a bit of light into the small opening and cast a sort of aura around Iofra. The painter knew that the artwork would sell for a small fortune, though he had no plans to bring it to market with him. It was his own personal treasure.

From behind the painter, a tree branch could be heard snapping and he turned around. He frowned and slid his brushes into his vest. As he turned back he saw that Iofra was gone. In her place was a tall slender tree with bright green leaves that hung almost sadly. The painter smiled and laughed a little bit.

"I'll be back again soon." he said "Take care."

With that, the painter lifted up his drying canvas and lantern and navigated carefully back toward his caravan. After loading everything back up he pulled the rope off the the tree, which seemed to hand it to him, and headed toward town. A short time later, after securing his things at his home, he headed to the tavern to catch up on the day's news. Aside from a small pouch of coin, the painter also brought a small wooden box containing a set of dice. He quietly pushed the tavern door open and nodded to the regulars, of which he was one. The painter took a seat at his usual table near the back and ordered a pint from the barmaid.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 12:17:06 pm »
Richard stepped up beside his friend Bryan,
"Yes, yes, that is good quality.  You'd be making a very good purchase, Nathan."

Richard wasn't entirely sure but he knew he could trust his friend.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
The remainder of the day finished out quietly, and Christopher closes up the shop. Making his way to the tavern, he enters to see quite a few people crowded around a dark corner. Dismissing the odd interest for the moment, Christopher takes a seat in the center of the room, a barmaid makes her way over to the bar to get him his usual. Taking the mug from her, Christopher stars making his way around catching up with everyone.
Virus Buster.