Author Topic: An observation of Spore Traffic from xSpore since the release..  (Read 4666 times)

Offline xDreamache

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
An observation of Spore Traffic from xSpore since the release..
« on: October 10, 2008, 06:20:25 pm »
Being that xspore ranks high for keywords like "Spore" in the search engines, I was really anticipating a huge increase in traffic during the release, and there was - but while I expected there to be an initial period of slow down a couple weeks after the game's release, I certainly thought that traffic would definitely even out *above* what it was prior to the release.. Guess I was wrong!  Looks like it has gone back down exactly to where it was in the months between the CC release and the full game release.

This is from June 17th (creature creator release, to august 9th).

Just thought this would be an interesting graph.  I'm assuming as Spore ages and becomes more known, that more people will be searching for it more.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
Re: An observation of Spore Traffic from xSpore since the release..
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:03:44 pm »
Being that xspore ranks high for keywords like "Spore" in the search engines, I was really anticipating a huge increase in traffic during the release, and there was - but while I expected there to be an initial period of slow down a couple weeks after the game's release, I certainly thought that traffic would definitely even out *above* what it was prior to the release.. Guess I was wrong!  Looks like it has gone back down exactly to where it was in the months between the CC release and the full game release.

This is from June 17th (creature creator release, to august 9th).

Just thought this would be an interesting graph.  I'm assuming as Spore ages and becomes more known, that more people will be searching for it more.

Makes sense.  Everyone's playing Spore!!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »
The game would not have sucked as much if it had kept with its SandBox Mode. Im not buying it until they fix that.

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:28:02 pm »
The game would not have sucked as much if it had kept with its SandBox Mode. Im not buying it until they fix that.

??? Sandbox mode?

And your not buying it till they fix that? lol, Oooohh you sound soo threatning. Ea's really gona have to back off and fix it now!

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:10:04 am »
In what capacity has Spore failed to be a Sandbox in Space phase? Sure, you can't do EVERYTHING, but you can certainly do a heck of a lot.

@OP: Maybe people just don't care about Spore fansites when they have the game to play. I know I've never cared about any fansite of anything, but hop on them when I need answers to stuff. Spore is a game that has a lot of stuff to figure out, and people probably enjoy figuring that stuff out on their own (I know I do!).

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »
I've noticed the amount of postings seem to have tapered down a bit here too since the first couple weeks post game.  That's pretty normal.  There's only so much to compare notes on... and as it was said... We gotta take time to play the game.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:44:48 am »
I think you guys are delusional.
Spore wasn't the great revelation it was promised to be.
Its just another game and like with most releases its fanbase will continuously dwindle.

One whole month after release people a certainly not "playing the game so much that they dont bother visiting sites about it", they are NOT playing the game and thus have little reason to visit a site about it.

I'm not saying Spore is bad!
I'm just saying that it is a normal game and most of the playerbase has a very limited lifetime.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 03:46:46 am by Therlun »
Change is being.

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 05:19:09 am »
However on Google Trends spore is searched for far more than gears of war (with or without the 2), fable (with both variations of 2), fallout 3. You get the idea,
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »
I think you guys are delusional.
Spore wasn't the great revelation it was promised to be.
Its just another game and like with most releases its fanbase will continuously dwindle.

One whole month after release people a certainly not "playing the game so much that they dont bother visiting sites about it", they are NOT playing the game and thus have little reason to visit a site about it.

I'm not saying Spore is bad!
I'm just saying that it is a normal game and most of the playerbase has a very limited lifetime.

The problem with your post is it's entirely opinion-driven with no facts. You can't possibly say that people are not playing Spore. Spore is still everything it was "promised to be". What is missing that you think would have made the game a "great revelation"?

P.S. -
Revelation
–noun
1.   the act of revealing or disclosing; disclosure.
2.   something revealed or disclosed, esp. a striking disclosure, as of something not before realized.

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 06:38:50 pm »

The problem with your post is it's entirely opinion-driven with no facts. You can't possibly say that people are not playing Spore. Spore is still everything it was "promised to be". What is missing that you think would have made the game a "great revelation"?

P.S. -
Revelation
–noun
1.   the act of revealing or disclosing; disclosure.
2.   something revealed or disclosed, esp. a striking disclosure, as of something not before realized.

*sigh*
I put the line "I'm not saying Spore is bad" up there especially for types like you.
For everyone but TDKenyon the following post is probably rpetty boring...

I wrote "I think" thus stating an opinion. It might be wrong, it might be right.
Its a forum and generally forums are used to share opinions.

I stated less people play Spore.
It took from ~5th Sep to 9th Sep to reach 10 million creations in the Sporepedia. (http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=14198.30) about 2 million creations per day.
From 10th Sep to 12 Oct the Sporepedia grew by ~26 million. A bit less than 1 million per day.
Generalized conclusion: On average less people played Spore and uploaded creations.
I think that those are huge numbers and a unique accomplishment by Spore. Yet as far as I can see those numbers prove that less people played Spore when it was "older".

When I read this thread I simply was shocked a bit by the, I'll be blunt here, fanboi blindness.
The statement that people are "too busy" playing Spore completely contradicts the life cycle of pretty much every computer game ever made and there is no reason whatsoever to draw such a conclusion.
There are very few examples where a game's playerbase grew after the initial months without the release of another game/expansion (and even with those the number of players almost never surpassed the initial peak) and even fewer cases for singleplayer games.

I just wanted to provide a different, perhaps more direct and more logic explanation for the development of search queries for Spore than "people are too busy playing Spore".  An explanation founded on experience and the history of practically every other game ever made.
I wanted to contribute to the discussion by offering another point of view. That point of view might not be less biased than the point of view I was arguing against, but it was biased by different things and in a different direction.

I think nothing could have made Spore the great revelation it was promised to be, such is the character of hype.
The many promises made about the game combined with the personal expectations of every individual simply for a picture that no game can fulfil, because two different persons generate different expectations a single game cannot completely satisfy for both of them.

I also used "revelation" intentionally to spice up my statement a bit. Perhaps (offering a possibility here) so that a random raving fanboi is offended a little more. :)
Change is being.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 07:08:46 pm »

I wrote "I think" thus stating an opinion. It might be wrong, it might be right.
Its a forum and generally forums are used to share opinions.

The problem is that "I think" was followed by, "you guys are delusional." While I partially agree (not fully, mind you) with your sentiment of, "Spore isn't as good as we thought it could be," the fact that you opened your post up with an attack on those who would disagree with you makes me step back a bit, and to those who already fully disagree with your opinion, it's an open invitation to argue rather than discuss.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:54 pm »
Just because my opinion differed from yours does not mean I'm a fanboy. In fact, I haven't played Spore in over a week, I'm rather bored with it and find many flaws. Nor did I express in my post that I believed you think Spore is bad. Again, just because I disagreed with you does not mean I was attacking you, it was more that you stated your opinion so matter-of-factly with no hard facts (simply saying people are not playing Spore does not qualify as a valid argument).

Also, I feel you're meshing posts together. I didn't say people are playing Spore. The OP did, and it was in a light-hearted manner, judging by the context. My post was also a different approach to the subject: maybe people just aren't that into fansites when they have the actual game. If you have a huge game like Spore coming out, yeah, you'll want to talk or read about it. Once you get that game, maybe you don't want to talk or read about it anymore. My opinion was quite unbiased; it was neither for nor against Spore; it, too, was a logical, direct explanation.

Lastly, I really did want to know what you thought would have made Spore the game it was "promised" to be. I didn't follow Spore interview by interview, but the jist I got was that it was going to be shallow gameplay aimed at casual gamers. AKA truly "Sim Everything". In that sense, I don't understand how it was promised to be anything more, or what revolution it was supposed to start. Though I think the user-created content genre and how many developers have already begun looking into using the Spore engine is a step in that direction.

As for your validation of your statement, it may or may not prove anything. I think that you're reading the numbers too much in favor of your opinion that people don't like Spore. As stated by myself and others, Spore's a big game, people will want to take time out to actually play it, not just create stuff. Also, no one is saying that Spore's fanbase is growing. Nor does that "contradict" the statement that people are playing Spore. Simply because the fanbase isn't growing (if that is in fact true) does not mean people aren't playing Spore. Though you provided facts from the Sporepedia, your information is still not validated. You do not know if people aren't buying Spore still. You do not know if people aren't playing Spore.

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 12:18:03 am »
Yeah , I really wanted to buy and play this game, but after playing it at a friends house....... I did not buy the game. Big disappointment. All i wanted to do was make planets and explore new ones. But i cant do that if the game wont let me interact with it the planet beyond just walking on the surface as a holo. And the tools are all watered down. Spore was a failure in my opinion. I guess now i will have to wait for Infinity... Unless Maxis cares and fixes this very simple to fix problems. I cant believe Maxis sold us out for EA....

Offline hikispore

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Spore Nieuws
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 12:52:49 am »
I don't have the visitors numbers that X Spore has (Dutch Spore community is very small) but my visitors also dropped dramatically since the release. And are now also the same as just before the release.

But it's interesting to check out with 'Keyword Analysis' what people are looking for: all keywords in my blogs top 10 are Spore Guides, Spore trainers, Spore Walktrough, cheats and tricks etc. Surprise: 'earth and spore' is also in the top 10 of keywords.

So people are playing the game, look for tips on the game and not for news. My Unique Visitors still grow so I am not complaning.

I knew this would happen after the release; people just play the game and not check news that often anymore.

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 03:32:22 pm »
Prior to the release, people visited sites like yours to acquire news and information (or spoilers).  Now that the game is out... there isn't alot of news and information.  Websites that retain high traffic after a release of a game is due to a strong community componants (content sharing, active forums, mod databases, etc).  However, between spore.com and youtube, community resources are practically built into the game.