Author Topic: Perhaps an explanation on the "stealing"  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Perhaps an explanation on the "stealing"
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:33:09 pm »
I was playing Spore today, and I didn't feel like making yet ANOTHER factory.  So I took a maxis building, colored it blue, and plopped it down onto my city.

When I checked the Sporepedia, the offending building was sitting there, with MY name as the author.

So obviously, many of these nefarious hardened criminals of creatures may just have done what I had accidentally touched upon.  They saw something they liked, they wanted to play with it, and decided just to change the paint job to fit with the rest of their stuff.

* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps an explanation on the "stealing"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:45:14 pm »
This is one of the game's more glaring flaws; the management of the Sporepedia, both online and off.
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:50:57 pm »
yea, the numbers for what you have doesn't match. For example, the myspore tab had like 700 something creatures, looking in everything and searching for smjjames (ingame sporepedia) gets like 900 something and the online sporepedia has 500 something. Given that there were about 225 or so cell creatures which I believe don't show up in the online sporepedia, that accounts somewhat for the difference between the online and ingame sporepedia, but there were still discrepancies.

Still, I know that other people are getting my creatures and I do see my own creatures from time to time which don't show up in the my creations tab.

Since I upload everything, the online one is probably closest.

I haven't been feeling that creative with buildings lately so I just use other peoples. I don't recolor them or anything, I just add as my selection.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »
I was playing Spore today, and I didn't feel like making yet ANOTHER factory.  So I took a maxis building, colored it blue, and plopped it down onto my city.

When I checked the Sporepedia, the offending building was sitting there, with MY name as the author.

So obviously, many of these nefarious hardened criminals of creatures may just have done what I had accidentally touched upon.  They saw something they liked, they wanted to play with it, and decided just to change the paint job to fit with the rest of their stuff.
"Straight-ripping" is the type of stealing that is nearly always referred to, when somebody mentions 'stealing'. Which doesnt even change the paintjob, its just a straight re-save.

Pro-tip : You can pick something you have already made, or use someone elses designs without having to mess around, by clicking the funny little button just below the 'make new' icon for each building. :P

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:04:09 pm »

Pro-tip : You can pick something you have already made, or use someone elses designs without having to mess around, by clicking the funny little button just below the 'make new' icon for each building. :P

I do that all the time. If I do use someone elses building or vehicle and modify it, I'll credit it.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 12:04:24 am »
oh noes spore cred I R LOSING IT now I wont be cool uh ohs!
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 12:34:46 am »
oh noes spore cred I R LOSING IT now I wont be cool uh ohs!
h3y luk i cna trol olololol

Offline Papaman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:19:32 pm »
What I find interesting is that people call it stealing. Because the second you agreed to the ToS for the software AND shared anything, **It Ceased To Be Yours**. It is filed on the server under your name, but it became public domain. Sucks, but there it is.

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 02:34:50 pm »
I just used the creature tweaker on a Screeble... after the fact, I noted that it was a tweaker creation.

Who was the creator of the original Screeble?

Just asking.