Author Topic: My impressions about Spore and a question  (Read 2437 times)

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
My impressions about Spore and a question
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:09 am »
hello...

finally!! after nearly 3 years of waiting, i finally got my hands on Spore yesterday  ;D ;D ;D
(i'm living in Mexico, and for some reason, the game got here A MONTH late  :o )
i won't dwell too much on how unbelievable it feels to actually be playing Spore after so long a wait it seemed it would never be released...
so here's my impressions of the 3-or-so hours i've spent playing so far...

my fear of the game being dumbed down to the point where it's not playable or fun are gone... even the cell stage was so much fun (and that was the one i was least interested on)
the graphics don't look as cartoonish as i was expecting.... it kinda comes down to what you make and how you wanna play it... (i just hope some blood mod comes along eventually)
and the gameplay is actually deeper than what i thought it would be.... i think i had my expectations so low, i would inevitably be pleasantly surprised....

i reckon i am still in creature stage... and i'm taking my sweet time... the last thing i want is to rush through every stage just to see how they are... the real entertainment value in this game for me is in 'letting it go' and not analyzing or critisizing too much and just go where the game takes you

so the first thing i did when i opened the game was go into the options and disable every hint and tutorial i could... i found that the less the game tells you what to do, the more fun it is...

also a great deal of fun comes from playing 'realistically', as in the creature evolving gradually, not changing colors on every new breed, and when playing a wild creature, acting wild, and not reasoning too much (you know your creature isn't doing much reasoning at that point either)... i found that the more you get 'in' the game, the deeper it becomes...

a bit like playing the sims... if you're just playing to see what your sims can do, it becomes boring fast... no matter how many expansions you throw at it... but if you get 'in' the game... you come up with your own little universe, which is greatly immersing and rewarding (i have to admit i couldn't do that in The Sims... way too girly theme to actually get into... i had my fun killing them and making supermodel sorority houses  ;D )

so the main point of fun in this game for me is freedom... to make my own decisions and play t the way i want to play it... which now leads me to my question

is there a way to disable those in-game goals?? it really detracts from the whole 'freedom' aspect i'm going for...

just disabling the goal boxes on-screen would be enough... the actual rewards don't really need to be disabled... i just don't want to know what the goals are... until i achieve them

well... that's my impression of Spore so far... and i must say, it's been really positive up to this point

Cheers

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
Re: My impressions about Spore and a question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:27:43 am »
I had those same impressions.
I love the game, And my expectations were pretty high too.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:51:34 am »
what I found is that while I didn't really have much for expectations (Was actually one of the 'wtf is spore' people up to about a year ago) the game does seem like its too shallow for what it is. It has this feeling that more belongs there, that parts are omitted, for whatever reasons, so the gameplay to me feels empty. I am referring to all the stages and those that seem missing.

Offline crisaron

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:18:57 pm »
You will see after a few days it just gets repetitive...

Sim was more entertaining and original for me. It is a nice little game.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
Ok here's a follow up on my impressions, now that i've reached Space Stage

Tribal seemed that it was going to be a drag when i first started... probably because of the pace change it imposes right after Creature... but after a while it became a lot of fun too... same with Civ...i had a bit of trouble transitioning between stages... but after i got the hang of it, they turned out to be quite fun... (tribal and Civ didn't feel too shallow for me... mostly because i'm not a big fan of overcomplicated RTS games)

Space on the other hand has a MAJOR downer that almost ruins the entire stage completely.... enemies will attack, pirates will raid and my planet will fall out of ecological balance EVERY FIVE MINUTES!!!! i can't express how extremely annoying it is to have to babysit your planets all the time.... i can't even describe all the other features to a proper extent because i am CONSTANTLY forced to stop whatever i'm doing and go save my helpless colonies from destruction....
all the stuff you can do in Space Stage seems like so much fun, but i can't imagine spending hours terraforming a planet without being interrupted hundreds of times just to kill off a couple of enemy ships

well... that's my biggest peeve with Spore so far... everything else seems like a lot of fun

Cheers

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:04:21 pm »
Hmmmm, did you download the patch? It fixed the insane AI and the equally insane eco disasters for many people. (me not included since I got Spore a few days after the patch and I patched the game on my third start up, which was before I got to space)
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 07:13:47 pm »
Do not hesitate to attack your enemies planets. Many of your enemies planets will be T0 and T1 planets. I laser the city hall of the weak worlds and watch my enemies empire shrink. Even easier, have your allies take out your enemies for you. You may still end up having to take care of the homeworlds, though. In my second space game I captured an enemies homeworld on a pink spice planet. I added a spice holder there and the planet produces 70 pink spice a pop! My money worries were forever solved for that game, thanks to my first enemy. Dont be afraid to take your enemies down.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:02:21 pm »
Download and use the Space is Fun mod.
Number 3 in that list:
http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?p=11810606#post11810606

It works well and reduces attacks and disaster to about 1 every 2 hours of play.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:42:36 am »
thanks for the suggestions!!

i did the Spore_Game.package tweak to increase the time between attacks... it seemed to work when i first started the game, but the next day it seemed to have defaulted back to normal...

then i decided to eliminate the enemy that was sending all those attacks... taking out their colonies was easy... but i was too weak to go against their homeworld with firepower alone... so i proceeded to suck all the atmosphere out of their planet with the cloud vacuum and let them asphyxiate to death  8) hehe, that was fun

now i don't get that many attacks all the time... but the pirate raid frequency seems to have increased.... it's like there's a quota of attacks that must be filled every hour or so...

will see about this mod now

Cheers