Author Topic: Space Stage crashes and exception reports.  (Read 9927 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Space Stage crashes and exception reports.
« on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:23 pm »
I'm not complaining like the way I was in my other thread. Anyways, I tried to look for the space stage crash thread on the official forum but it had sunk into the depths there, so I decided to make a post here. After all, Caryl and the other devs certainly look around here more often than the official forums. Also, it's certainly less cluttered.

The last few days I've had some space stage crashes (everything else was fine, although I had one which crashed when I quit the game, but I attributed that to just playing for too long), I looked at the exception text and all three say the exact same thing. The only difference is date and time.

[Exception info]
date: 10-04-08
time: 12.14.03
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000084
address: 0x00635068 "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SPORE\Sporebin\SporeApp.exe":0x0001:0x00234068

[Call stack]
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SPORE\Sporebin\SporeApp.exe
0x00635068

They say the exact same thing down to the numbers. The stack data below these two bits of info aren't the same though.

In no way am I trying to make a negative thread, I'm just trying to make an informational thread that will help everybody.

Has anybody had any space stage crashes and are seeing the same exception log that I am seeing? The first two crashes were when I was zooming in onto a system or planet, the third is while I was terraforming a planet.

If any Maxis devs want the full exception logs, let me know.

Edit: actually, I found that space stage crash thread a whole bunch of pages further back on the official forums, but I still think posting it here on GS is better anyways.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:18:08 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Space Stage crashes and exception reports.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:04 pm »
@Caryl or any other Maxis dev, this needs to be looked at for sure because I think I'm getting the audio lag bug with this as well. It may be a symptom or a side effect of it however.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:53:44 am »
@Caryl or any other Maxis dev, this needs to be looked at for sure because I think I'm getting the audio lag bug with this as well. It may be a symptom or a side effect of it however.

Same here. I just had half a dozen crashes tonight.

Code: [Select]
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000004
address: 0x0085625d "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SPORE\Sporebin\SporeApp.exe":0x0001:0x0045525d

[Call stack]
0x0085625d

0x0113bbec

0x00475f90

Offline Bama

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:59:13 am »
They dont care. Enough people don't have this bug that it doesnt matter to them.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:51:17 pm »
You can't assume that they don't care just because there aren't that many. From the space stage crash thread on the official forums, it seems like alot of people are having this and I'm consistently crashing in space stage, nowhere else.

They are probably just too busy right now to answer this thread or they don't have a definite answer for it.

I crashed again in space and since I get so absorbed in it, I forget to save every so often, so quite a bit of progress is lost.

Offline Bama

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »
They dont care

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:20:40 pm »
They dont care

Still doesn't stop the crashes or make them not exist. I'm sure they are aware of it however.

Hopefully the next patch will fix this
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:27:01 pm by smjjames »

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:42:53 pm »
I tried to do this and it seems to help a bit:

After having half a dozen crashes in succession I rebooted the computer to make sure.

Then I loaded the game and waited 4 or 5 minutes just looking into the sporepedia and my achievements page.

I did notice that the galaxy screen was a bit choppy as if the game was busy doing something in the background. Probably loading my buddies latest creations.

When it all settled down I started playing and didn't get a crash after that.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:52:23 am »
I tried to do this and it seems to help a bit:

After having half a dozen crashes in succession I rebooted the computer to make sure.

Then I loaded the game and waited 4 or 5 minutes just looking into the sporepedia and my achievements page.

I did notice that the galaxy screen was a bit choppy as if the game was busy doing something in the background. Probably loading my buddies latest creations.

When it all settled down I started playing and didn't get a crash after that.

That method isn't working. In fact, now the space game I was playing is crashing while loading up. Going to try other space games and see if it does the same.

I don't know what the hell is going on because I'm not crashing on any other stage.

Edit: okay, it didn't crash in other space games and when I went back to the one I was playing, it loaded up okay. The loading screen kept showing maxis stuff though for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:59:48 am by smjjames »

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:13 pm »
   I had that exact same bug but I uninstall the patched files, and repatched a backup set I kept. Wala, worked beautiful. It seems the patch can corrupt some files. Rarely. I keep the entire spore folder on a flashdrive for repairs now hehe :D Not to mention 3 save backups. I actually really have gotten used to how spore works. :)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 12:13:06 pm »
I don't have a backup set though, so just uninstalling and reinstalling then patching should work? I do have a flash drive somewhere and I guess I could store the spore folder on there.

Edit: ARG! it crashed again when I went to stop some pirates raiding my homeworld and crashed when I tried to back out of the planet. It might be related to the homeworld crashes I've heard about.

Edit2: the install limit was removed right? I have the Galactic Edition of spore though, so I don't know whether that was changed as well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:30:48 pm by smjjames »

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:50 am »
Where are these error reports saved? I remember seeing them before, but now I can't remember where.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 07:34:46 am »
They should be in the sporebin folder within the spore folder itself.

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 07:40:47 am »
this problem is with the jobpriority fix right?

Just checking, scanned over the thread and had very similar crashes but when I did the fix it went away(I still get plenty of crashes but not nearly as often anymore, and haven't played spore for a few days either so not sure how it is.)

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 07:50:03 am »
M'kay... I don't have any error reports in there, perhaps because it can't create one due to the computer freezing when Spore dies... I saw some in there before the patch, and have reinstalled since then. Still, I think my situation is related to this. I know you've read my thread about my problems, smj. I've tried just about everything under the sun to fix it, and merely found out that my computer itself is awesome and not the cause of the trouble.  :P

Nonetheless, I'm moving to your playground. Perhaps if we all gather together, we can figure this out, or help the devs figure it out. As far as the install limit goes, I'm sure the game itself is identical regardless of which one you bought. That was my impression.. Same game, with goodies on the side. Wouldn't make much sense on the server's side to have two separately recognized versions of the same game, so you should be good to go.

When I get back from my doctor's appointment this afternoon, I'll try reinstalling again and cross my fingers. Good luck on your end!

P.S. jobpriority fix didn't work for me.